++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #17,896 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, I'll definitely consider both of those. Can you recommend any that are over-ear rather than on-ear though?

Shure SRH-840 is very balanced so it works well accross multiple genres.Fantastic sq for the price. its not amp dependant, though it does sound better when you give it more power, but every headphone does for that matter. They can be had for around $160 usually, but i've seen them go for less on sale.

The monoprice 8323 is also good for the money (about $30 after shipping). That can is a little warm, and slightly bass heavy. Well built, and DJ style. It too is over ear.

The on ears some one recommeded earlier were really great recs, so if you can stretch i would look into those.(M80+hd25)

Some one also suggested looking into iem's and in that case a recommend the Hifiman RE262.

Hope that all helps. Good luck. and more questions pm me.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #17,897 of 29,490
Quote:
Get the monoprice 8323 dj style headphone. Fantastic can. warm, and slightly bass heavy. Comes with two detachable cables and a 1/4 in adapter. Over ear. Dj Style. I highly recommend them. Oh, and did i mention they're only $30 after shipping. I have a full review here, check 'em out. This baby meets all your criteria with 1/3 the price.

hey,

thanks for the help, but he got the vmodas. Maybe I will consider the 8323 for a backup headphone or something :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #17,898 of 29,490
Quote:
Shure SRH-840 is very balanced so it works well accross multiple genres.Fantastic sq for the price. its not amp dependant, though it does sound better when you give it more power, but every headphone does for that matter. They can be had for around $160 usually, but i've seen them go for less on sale. If you want a full review of that check here.

The monoprice 8323 is also good for the money (about $30 after shipping). That can is a little warm, and slightly bass heavy. Well built, and DJ style. It too is over ear, for a full review check here.

The on ears some one recommeded earlier were really great recs, so if you can stretch i would look into those.(M80+hd25)

Some one also suggested looking into iem's and in that case a recommend the Hifiman RE262.

Hope that all helps. Good luck. and more questions pm me.

+1 on the Shures. Good for over-ear. Also, consider the Audio-Technica M50s.

Not a huge Grado fan, although many love it for rock. Keep in mind that they're open and thus absolutely terrible for the library.

The RE262s need an amp to sound they're best, although they are fantastic IEMs for the value. Refurbished Miles Davis Tributes have been at $100, which is a fantastic deal for those.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #17,899 of 29,490
Hi. I'm looking to build my first desktop setup, it's going to be a simple one but i want best sound possible for the money, my budget is around $600 to $800 and gear I am currently looking at are
headphones: HD600, Q701

amp/dac: audioengine d1, NuForce HD

that is what I have been looking at but I'm open to all recomendations

now, I do not need to have an amp/dac, it's ok if it's a separate amp and dac, but take price in consideration

I hope I can get some help

thanks

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #17,900 of 29,490
Quote:

+1 on the Shures. Good for over-ear. Also, consider the Audio-Technica M50s.

Not a huge Grado fan, although many love it for rock. Keep in mind that they're open and thus absolutely terrible for the library.

The RE262s need an amp to sound they're best, although they are fantastic IEMs for the value. Refurbished Miles Davis Tributes have been at $100, which is a fantastic deal for those.

+1 on the M50s.  They are built like a tank, which is great for throwing in your backpack when at class.  They have a bit of an elevated base, but not overpowering.  Their sound was such a big step up for me (as my first pair of "serious" headphones) that I am now in deep and sinking lower!

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #17,901 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. I'm looking to build my first desktop setup, it's going to be a simple one but i want best sound possible for the money, my budget is around $600 to $800 and gear I am currently looking at are
headphones: HD600, Q701

amp/dac: audioengine d1, NuForce HD

that is what I have been looking at but I'm open to all recomendations

now, I do not need to have an amp/dac, it's ok if it's a separate amp and dac, but take price in consideration

I hope I can get some help

thanks

With a budget of around 400 for the amp and dac, I would look at the NFB-5 for a 1 box solution.  Alternatively for a similar price you can get the HRT MSII + Matrix M-Stage. Note: There is a USB version of the MStage which is 30$ more which would suffice if you are thinking of upgrading in the future and don't want to purchase a dac right away.

If you want to keep things at the lower limit of 600$, buying used can help you a lot.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #17,902 of 29,490
buying new headphones ,

Audeze LCD-2 - Rev. 2

from moon-audio
http://www.moon-audio.com/headphones/open-headphones/audeze-lcd-2-rev-2.html

do i need the silver dragon and the topline rhodium to make it sound good ? what is the topline rhodium for ?

gonna pair it with
Shiit Audio
bifrost and LYR
will i need extra cables to connect them together ?

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #17,903 of 29,490
Sorry I missed this thread, but since I found it, I'll post my question here again. I'm looking for a pair of headphones with a similar sound to the SRH840. I listen to a lot of music genres, so I'd like a balanced sound. Nothing too detailed. Something fun with a nice bass (but not like basshead basses). I don't want the SRH840 because I've read/heard complaints about the size and discomfort from the headband. I'm looking for closed over ear with good comfort/isolation, around $200.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #17,904 of 29,490
Looking for a bassier than average headphone for listening to electronic/dubstep/hip-hop. For reference here is what I already own:

Headphones:
Shure SRH440
Grado SR60i
Sennheiser HD 598

DACs:
Topping TP30
Fiio E7

The two pairs I've been considering initially are the Sony MDR-XB700's, which are currently $81.99 on Amazon and the Ultrasone HFI-580's which cost $121 on Amazon. I hear both have really good bass and pretty good sound for their price range. I'm looking to stay in the $75-125 range which is why these two appeal to me. Anything you can recommend with a detachable cable is a plus but certainly not a deal breaker.

So my questions are...If you have either/both of these do you like them and which is better in your opinion? Is there anything else similar in the same price range that I may not know about?

Thanks for any help.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #17,905 of 29,490
ok iv pretty much decided to get the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250 ohms. i just want to make sure i dont need an amp to use them? 
i couldnt understand what sound card i have on my computer, i think its "dolby advanced audio" (i have a lenovo z560 if thats of any use)

i understood that the more ohms the more power the headphones need so i just want to make sure.

also, though i dont really intend on doing this, could i use these headphones with my phone as well?

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #17,906 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a bassier than average headphone for listening to electronic/dubstep/hip-hop. For reference here is what I already own:

Headphones:
Shure SRH440
Grado SR60i
Sennheiser HD 598

DACs:
Topping TP30
Fiio E7

The two pairs I've been considering initially are the Sony MDR-XB700's, which are currently $81.99 on Amazon and the Ultrasone HFI-580's which cost $121 on Amazon. I hear both have really good bass and pretty good sound for their price range. I'm looking to stay in the $75-125 range which is why these two appeal to me. Anything you can recommend with a detachable cable is a plus but certainly not a deal breaker.

So my questions are...If you have either/both of these do you like them and which is better in your opinion? Is there anything else similar in the same price range that I may not know about?

Thanks for any help.

+1 for Ultrasone HFI 580, but the comfort can be an issue and has been mentioned by many. I'd say the SRH840 since I've seen it priced at around $150 but many have said in comparison to the 440, the price jump is not worth it. The ATH-M50 are also worth looking at; it has a V-shaped sound.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #17,907 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok I've pretty much decided to get the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250 ohms. i just want to make sure I don't need an amp to use them? 
I couldn't understand what sound card i have on my computer, i think its "Dolby advanced audio" (I have a Lenovo z560 if that's of any use)
I understood that the more ohms the more power the headphones need so i just want to make sure.
Also, though I don't really intend on doing this, could i use these headphones with my phone as well?

Not sure how well your laptop or cell phone will drive the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
But a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier will work with both.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #17,908 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry I missed this thread, but since I found it, I'll post my question here again. I'm looking for a pair of headphones with a similar sound to the SRH840. I listen to a lot of music genres, so I'd like a balanced sound. Nothing too detailed. Something fun with a nice bass (but not like basshead basses). I don't want the SRH840 because I've read/heard complaints about the size and discomfort from the headband. I'm looking for closed over ear with good comfort/isolation, around $200.

Thanks!

Well those people complaining are just Whacked!  JK----The headband is fine, not perfect but never bothered me much.  The list of good sounding cans under $200 gets slim when you toss out the Shures.  My next rec would be the disc. Denon D2000.

After that maybe some AKGs but I have not heard the new models, perhaps the 270 MKII.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #17,909 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd say the SRH840 since I've seen it priced at around $150 but many have said in comparison to the 440, the price jump is not worth it. 

WHAT?, Those people are nuts...just kidding.  The 840s are worth every penny of the price vs the 440s, just ask anyone who actually has upgraded.   Well, one persons not worth it is like not going to a Golf from a Yaris.  Just trying to show the 840s some love...

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #17,910 of 29,490
840's, man i love mine. Swear by those things. I don't care what anyone has tp say about them. And just for the record, there's a reason why their picture is one of the preset avatars for headfi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back