++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #17,866 of 29,490
Quote:
You have to use a Line-out dock such as the Fiio L3/L9 and the DAC has to have a line-in. The E7/E17 have a line-in which allows you to send the digital signal directly to your DAC from the iPod.

What, a dac that accepts a digital input via a line in ?  Last I checked every dac in the world used spdif, usb, aes, or i2s.  Maybe the great fiios company has come up with a new standard.

And how exactly is the ipod supposed to turn an analog signal from the headphone jack or the line out which is also analog into a digital one?

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #17,870 of 29,490
Quote:
What, a dac that accepts a digital input via a line in ?  Last I checked every dac in the world used spdif, usb, aes, or i2s.  Maybe the great fiios company has come up with a new standard.

And how exactly is the ipod supposed to turn an analog signal from the headphone jack or the line out which is also analog into a digital one?

Dunno on your first question, but as for the second running LOD to USB keeps the signal digital from an iPod or iOS device. That will then run to something like this to perform the functions of a DAC instead of the built in. But running a LOD cable that goes to a 1/8 will be analog. That's basically just used to bypass the built in amp in that case.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #17,871 of 29,490
Looking to get either HD598, or DT990. Now I am plan on using The headphones for my console use and PC use. Console will be 360 and PS3. I was thinking of getting an Astro mixamp, so i could get the virtual 7.1 when gaming. I hear the DT990 pro has more bass, then the HD598. But which one has a more rich, fuller, crisper, nicer sound. Also would the Mixamp be able to power a 250 ohms DT990?

IF i got a filo e11 or e17 would i be able to get the the 600 ohm premium DT990?

First headphone so want to make sure i get the right one. Still cant decide between HD598 and the DT990.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #17,872 of 29,490
I want to upgrade my full-size cans; Open or closed are fine with me - I don't really have a preference, but open will obviously have an advantage in the soundstage. I like neutrality and I listen to classic jazz, rock, classical, and I really enjoy acoustic rock/folk. Not a basshead at all, but I do enjoy a bit of rumble once in awhile. I certainly am not averse to some tight, controlled, and impactful bass. I do like detail and a large soundstage, but I don't tolerate sibilance very well at all. My budget is a maximum of $300. I currently have Koss DJ100s for my full-size headphones and I do like them. If you have any good ideas, let me know. I'm considering Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros (250 Ohm), but I want to get a few more recommendations first. Thanks, y'all.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #17,873 of 29,490
Quote:

I apologize, I must have misread something once. Thanks for the correction

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #17,874 of 29,490
Looking for something with a fuller sound...

I presently have HD595s, and ATH-A900s.  I drive them with the XONAR Phoebus sound card with onboard amp.  

I like both cans separately, but I would like something that has a more robust sound that is still warm.  A little more bass could be a plus.  I am currently looking at the Q701s, AH-D2000s, DT 990s, --- but I am open to anything really.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #17,875 of 29,490
Hey guys,
thought i'd use some help with a choice of cans. 

I am looking for a closed set of  cans used in a library setting. What I would be doing is bringing these with me in my bag and taking them out for long study sessions. 

- Most important attribute is comfort.
- They must be circumaural.
- I want to be able to use these in a library so there must be 0 leakage.
- Not too big (no Brainwavz hm5)
- SQ can be somewhat comprimised for the above since I will be concentrating on work. However I would prefer no treble peaks and not too big of a midbass hump.
Can be placed in a bag with books / decent durability

I am listening to alot of the violin these days and through hd650s the sound is very good to my ears. I don't think I can stand listening to violin for extended periods on a headphone with peaks. Other than the violin I listen to pretty much anything so versatility would be nice.

The lower the price, the better. If I were to give a number, maybe under 200?

If there is a very good headphone that costs way more but checks the criteria, please mention it no matter the price i'd be open to consider alternatives and save up for them. Thanks very much!

Forgot to mention I have the E11 as a portable amp if it is necessary.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #17,876 of 29,490
Hey peeps,

My brother is looking for a new pair of headphones, and he is stuck on the VMODA Crossfade LP Stealth limited edition. He wants a user friendly, great sounding, stylish, and bassy headphones. His budget is $100. Any recommendations? He wants closed and detachable cable.

Thanks!

LazBro123

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #17,877 of 29,490
Does any idevice owners have any brilliant idea of making the volumes of songs similar or the same? Cuz the itunes soundcheck is utterly useless... It sucks...

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #17,878 of 29,490
Quote:
Shure SRH 840  or Ultrasone Hfi 780
spent

please help me decide  which one is worth the money spent

Glad to help--but it's up to you to decide between two good cans that offer attributes that sometimes differ.  If you don't know yet which to select, I suggest that you read some reviews of both on this and other sites. No one knows yourneeds, desires and preferences as well as you do.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #17,879 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for something with a fuller sound...

I presently have HD595s, and ATH-A900s.  I drive them with the XONAR Phoebus sound card with onboard amp.  

I like both cans separately, but I would like something that has a more robust sound that is still warm.  A little more bass could be a plus.  I am currently looking at the Q701s, AH-D2000s, DT 990s, --- but I am open to anything really.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Don't know the about your budget or how powerful your on-board amp is, but you might want to give the HD 650 and HE-400 a good look.  The Q701 is also an excellent can and value.  However, it is not known for either its warmth or bass.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #17,880 of 29,490
Quote:
I want to upgrade my full-size cans; Open or closed are fine with me - I don't really have a preference, but open will obviously have an advantage in the soundstage. I like neutrality and I listen to classic jazz, rock, classical, and I really enjoy acoustic rock/folk. Not a basshead at all, but I do enjoy a bit of rumble once in awhile. I certainly am not averse to some tight, controlled, and impactful bass. I do like detail and a large soundstage, but I don't tolerate sibilance very well at all. My budget is a maximum of $300. I currently have Koss DJ100s for my full-size headphones and I do like them. If you have any good ideas, let me know. I'm considering Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros (250 Ohm), but I want to get a few more recommendations first. Thanks, y'all.

You and I share some genre similarity, especially in the area of popular music.  The mid-centric DJ100 is a good entry level can for most of the music types that you enjoy.

The DT 880 is a great can.  It is analytical and unforgiving of crappy tracks--so make sure you are OK with that.  You should also look into the AKG Q701, Senn HD 598 and Sony MDR-MA900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back