++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #17,851 of 29,490
Quote:
I prefer open headphones rather than sealed ones.
The headphones will be plugged to a computer with a default sound card.
I am open to buy amp and a DAC but only in the future, I currently only have around 150-170 $ to pay for audio gear and I think that spending it all on headphones (for now) is the right call. (Maybe getting a really cheap amp/dac for 20$ ie fiio)
I don't plan to use them outside the house.

Alessandro MS1, Sennheiser HD 518, KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH 840, Ultrasone HiFi 780 (which you mentioned).

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #17,852 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been searching through the forum for quite a while trying to find the perfect pair of headphones, but I can't seem to make a final decision. I've made posts about which would be better but I still can't make up my mind, and I hope this post can finally shed some light on what to buy. I am in no way an expert on headphones, so I'm illiterate in this. I have been going back and fourth wondering if the SRH840's are the headphones I should get, but I feel this size MAY be an issue. My brother has a pair of M50's and I love the sound. The size isn't bad, I can deal with it. Though with the 840's it seems the weight (to some) is a problem. What's the size difference between the M50's and 840's? I've been reading that the 840's are superior in both sound and comfort. Comfort is important to me because I will be commuting a lot on subways and busses so I will be wearing them for a long time. My question is, (not going over $200) what is the best headphones I can find with the following: comfortable headphones, size being around the M50's, sound being JUST like the 840's (or superior), closed back. I will be listening to this on my ipod and computer (no amps). I've looked at the up/downtowns, however I'm worried about the cord breaking/slider, so I am no longer interested in that. It's important that they do not leak. I'll be using portable audio. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I highly recommend the 840's. They're build quality and sq is second to none in that price range. The m 50 and 840 have two very diffrent sound signatures. the m50 being more of a v while the 840 being more on the balanced side. Comfort is always a subjective thing (so is sq for that matter). yes the Shure are heavy. And yes they will probably make your head sore for the first few days, just until you get used to the weight. However, like a pair of shoes, the break in and fit great. Their isolation and leakage is great. Size wise they are on the large side. A little cumbersome for walking around in public but not impossible. I can provide a photo of them on a person if that would help. 

Other headphones you may want to look at in the price range:
V-moda M80- great reputation relatively balance, great build quality, more portable
Sennhieser hd25-1 II- Also has great rep, though im not quite as well versed so you may want to do your own research. but the are smaller and portable
Monoprice 8323- save yourself quite a pretty penny. These cans are warn, slightly bass heavy well built, and fold up nicely. and for only $30 with shipping they're a steal. 

Hope that's helpful. Any questions feel free to pm me. Have a good one.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #17,853 of 29,490
Quote:

Sorry, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

So I should stick to sub-1000 dollar cans while posting in this sub-forum? Thanks :)

I would say that that the $700 HE-500 is the gray zone between this section of the forum and the Summit Fi section.  Others may go as far as the LCD-2--but the folks who best know it can be found in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #17,854 of 29,490
I put this in its own thread and now realize it should have gone here.

I currently have some Sennheiser HD485's I've had for 5 years but after 2 hours or so they start hurting my ears. So I'm looking for something that I can wear all day. Currently listening style is Olafur Arnalds to Disturbed so pretty varied. They would be plugged into my onboard sound card, Realtek ALC889, so I feel like If I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms (did some research on here and they seem to be rated high for comfort) It would be wasted on my on board sound card and I would want to get something like a Fiio E7 to take better advantage? Currently leaning towards the AT M50s but I question the comfort as my ears stick out about 1 inch.

In the end comfort is as important as sound and If I need to get an AMP/DAC that's fine I just would prefer to keep it under $250.00 total.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #17,855 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been searching through the forum for quite a while trying to find the perfect pair of headphones, but I can't seem to make a final decision. I've made posts about which would be better but I still can't make up my mind, and I hope this post can finally shed some light on what to buy. I am in no way an expert on headphones, so I'm illiterate in this. I have been going back and fourth wondering if the SRH840's are the headphones I should get, but I feel this size MAY be an issue. My brother has a pair of M50's and I love the sound. The size isn't bad, I can deal with it. Though with the 840's it seems the weight (to some) is a problem. What's the size difference between the M50's and 840's? I've been reading that the 840's are superior in both sound and comfort. Comfort is important to me because I will be commuting a lot on subways and buses so I will be wearing them for a long time. My question is, (not going over $200) what is the best headphones I can find with the following: comfortable headphones, size being around the M50's, sound being JUST like the 840's (or superior), closed back. I will be listening to this on my ipod and computer (no amps). The music I listen to both rock, pop and rap heavily (I like how the M50's sound with these genres but the comfort is terrible imo). I've looked at the up/downtowns, however I'm worried about the cord breaking/slider, so I am no longer interested in that. It's important that they do not leak. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In addition to the cans already mentioned by you and casnman, consider the KRK KNS 8400.  It's currently only $110 shipped at Amazon.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #17,856 of 29,490
Quote:
im sorry im sure theres a thread in here somewhere for just this question but i dont want to look through over 1000 pages. i hope you will be willing to help me non the less...

im looking for headphones that have strong bass and dont leak sound. i.e i dont mind that much about noise canceling, i just dont want others to hear what im listening to. i want to be able to listen to loud volume music/films in the middle of the night and not wake anyone up - i have a room mate who's super sensitive to sounds and wakes up if i so much as sneeze.

i listen mostly to dubstep, drum and bass, some breakbeat and recently started listening to house. occasionally i enjoy things like pink floyd or mike oldfield, but not very often.
my budget ranges between 140-170 dollars, id prefer somthing around 150 dollars.

i was thinking of maybe getting the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohms (if anyone can be bothered explaining what ohms are that would be cool) but as i understand, because they are "open back" they leak sound and if im listening on a high volume then its pretty audible to everyone else... the dt 770 pro 250 ohms look great but again, there a tad on the expensive side just like the 990s. i was also looking at the akg k272s but i saw a couple of reviews that claim the bass is lacking, i think bass is the most important to me... maybe i should get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50? i just dont know enough to make a decision.. all the reviews seem to say different things.

i have small jvc headphones for taking with me on the bus or whatnot, what im looking for is for home use, somthing that doesnt need and amp or whatever, headphones i can plug into my computer and enjoy.

all help would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance.

start here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

First click on the page will get you a list of basshead cans, just find out which are closed and you have your shortlist.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #17,857 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. So I'm new to Head fi and have been looking for some over ear headphones. I'm really confused so I'm hoping that you guys would help.
Budget: Under $300, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if there are headphones that fit my needs.
Music: I'd say rock, hiphop, rap, and little R&B. I love bass, but I would still want toned mids and crisp highs.
Portability is not much of an issue.
They will not be amped.
I think I prefer closed.
Comfort is a BIG issue; it's the reason I'm going with over ear. I've tried on-ear, but I can't go for more than 1 hour without major pain on my ears.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 but for some reason I'm not sold yet.
Please give me assurance to buy them or other suggestions that will fit my needs.
Thanks

Well, i would recommend the Shure srh-840's. They're a very balanced can. Then i would pair them with a fiio e10 dac/amp. The fiio works off usb. The fiio helps to open up the sound stage, add detail, body, etc.  The combo should run you around $200 if slightly more. The fiio has a bass boost switch, which does a decent job and if you want even more there's always eq. The only issue you may have is comfort. They are really heavy. And they take some getting use to. I swear by them. Others say they're just plain uncomfortable, but that's a subjective thing soo.... 

Now if comfort is a big issue take a look at Sony's xb line. I own the xb 700. Its a warm, bass heavy can. And the ear pads, well they are simply massive. Its like having two giant marsh mellows on the side of your head. As for an amp, you probably don't need one as the impedance is fairly low. However with the big bass your mids and highs are going to suffer a little. But as for bass heavy cans go it has some of the best bass with deep extension and solid impact. As well it does a decent job of not killing everything else like beats.

The m50 is pretty famous round here. They have more of a v shaped sound. That's a more "fun" sound. with bigger bass and highs with slightly recessed mids. Solid cans fantastic rep, i just wonder if is a little big over hyped...

Other cans you may want to consider:
V moda m80- relatively balanced, good rep,good build quality. portable
Monoprice 8323- i find myself recommending these time and time again. They're warm, slightly bass heavy. solid plastic build, DJ style, Oh, and did i mention the were only $30 including shipping i believe they easily compete with some $100 headphones. 

Hope that helps, any more questions just pm im happy to help

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #17,858 of 29,490
Quote:

What about ibasso models p6, d4 mamba, d12 + ipod + dt990/250-600 ohm or meier corda ? 

Not sure what an ibasso p6 is, could not find via google, the other two ibassos have dacs that would not work with an ipod, so why not spend the money on a better amp.  And as far as Cordas go Meier has six models listed, non of which I have heard.  Maybe if you point out which one caught your eye, someone can comment or do a search on the corda model you desire and the 990 and see what impressions you uncover.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #17,860 of 29,490
Will the AKG K550 be a big improvement over the ath-m50? I'm planning on selling my m50 and buying a better closed can. My budget is 300 dollars. My option right now is the AKG K550, but is it a big improvement over the m50 meaning is it worth the upgrade? I listen to rock and pop rock. I will mostly be using them with an iphone and a fiio e11 amp. I also would like to say that I hate laid back headphones and would prefer a brighter and more aggressive headphones. Im not saying I like headphones with fatiguing highs, I enjoy headphones which sound alive. Is it worth upgrading to the K550, is it a big improvement? If not, which closed headphone in the 300 price range should I get (ie. hd 25, srh940, etc.)

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #17,861 of 29,490
Quote:
Will the AKG K550 be a big improvement over the ath-m50? I'm planning on selling my m50 and buying a better closed can. My budget is 300 dollars. My option right now is the AKG K550, but is it a big improvement over the m50 meaning is it worth the upgrade? I listen to rock and pop rock. I will mostly be using them with an iphone and a fiio e11 amp. I also would like to say that I hate laid back headphones and would prefer a brighter and more aggressive headphones. Im not saying I like headphones with fatiguing highs, I enjoy headphones which sound alive. Is it worth upgrading to the K550, is it a big improvement? If not, which closed headphone in the 300 price range should I get (ie. hd 25, srh940, etc.)

Here's the problem--one person's sparking treble is another person's fatiguing highs.  What is one person's "laid back" is another person's dead on accurate.  Only listening yourself will provide you a definitive answer.  Second best choice--read as many quality reviews as you can.  That said--all three cans will provide an upgrade (with less bass), with the 550 & 940 leading the way.  The 550 will have more bass--if you can get a good seal.  The 940's excel in mids, treble (at least for most), clarity and speed, but have some build quality issues.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #17,862 of 29,490
Quote:
sorry. ibasso D6. and meier corda 2stepdance. And why would amp/dac doesn't work with ipod ? lots of people use fiio e7 or e17..but i think you're right with ipod i don't need dac so i should buy just amp.

Sorry I still cannot help since I have not heard those amps.  The problem with the ipod is that it does not have usb out for an audio stream to bypass the built in dac.  They have allowed some companies to engineered a dock plug to bypass the dac, but I think they charge a pretty hefty fee to the companies who go that route.  Hence the dacs tend to be over $500 or more.  Ones that I know who offer a way to get a digital signal out of the ipod are Wadia (home dock, no dac), ALO (portable dac) and Fostex (portable Dock).  I heard the Fostex and Also and can only get a bit excited about the ALO.  Fostex sounded really thin.  ALO is very good but with most cans the sound quality is just a bit better.  And if you add their amp in the mix, you are at a cool Grand $$$.  I could not justify that amount of money even for a good pair of cans like the DT880 600s.

good luck

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #17,863 of 29,490
Quote:
sorry. ibasso D6. and meier corda 2stepdance. And why would amp/dac doesn't work with ipod ? lots of people use fiio e7 or e17..but i think you're right with ipod i don't need dac so i should buy just amp.

You have to use a Line-out dock such as the Fiio L3/L9 and the DAC has to have a line-in. The E7/E17 have a line-in which allows you to send the digital signal directly to your DAC from the iPod.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #17,865 of 29,490
Quote:
Please suggest fast i need to order a headphone asap

will be using with laptop and Ipod

will listen to mostly all genres----trance metal

Help me get a headphone below 150 $ range

Please suggest fast----Was looking at ultrasone and shure lets see what i get

Thank You

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?---------I am not ok with Leak sound

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp------Dont think i would buy a amp

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?-----mp3   256 kbps mosty ---Metal

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? ----i have no idea about this here....

Let me know which would be a good headphones...

There is no one clear answer, you will have to decide what suits you the best.

Get the Shure SRH 840 for clarity.

Don't get any V-Moda below the M80.  But if you can find it in your price range, get it for the bass & build quality.

Get the HiFi 780 for bright cans with good bass and slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back