++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #17,836 of 29,490
Hi everyone;

First of all i listen music from ipod touch mostly but i use pc too. So should i buy amp/dac combination or just amp ?
And i listen rap/hiphop mostly but not only. I want really good bass, i mean good quality and quantity not just boomy bass.
Finally,  you might think it's not necessary for 770/80 but i want something for forward plannings beyers 990 higher ohms, maybe hd650 :D 
Oops, Max 250 $ 

Thanks for advice....

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #17,837 of 29,490
Hi everyone. I have been looking around for quite a fair bit for a new pair of headphones, so was hoping for some ideas from you guys. I currently listen to my lcd-2 at home, but i'm looking for a portable pair to listen when i travel around and study in libraries and stuff like that. I was wondering if there were any headphones that are comfortable for long wearing, closed and offer good isolation, and portable to carry around. Was looking at the beyer t50p, but not really that keen. It'll be fed from my predator, so amping shouldn't be an issue. 

Thank you!

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #17,839 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the items you're considering (other than the K 272).  If they are EIM's or portable cans you're in the wrong section of the forum.  This is the Full Sized Headphone Recommendation Thread/Section.

sorry if i'm in the wrong section, i think they're meant to be portable but every other thread i found about them on head fi was in the full-sized forum.

@Hipster2010, thanks, but i forgot to mention that the shop is still really far away, and i don't have the oppertunity to go and try them out, i'd still have to order them via their website.
thanks anyway, appriciate it!

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #17,840 of 29,490
Quote:
Out of pure curiosity, has anyone here managed to audition the Sennheiser HD800s, maybe even own a pair? A friend of mine new to the hobby (and obscenely rich, not to mention) has been asking me about headphones that would work well for rock and the like. I've got a bit of a reputation for being really anal with sound quality in my college. He's got the same musical interests as me, though I lean towards older songs while he tends towards nu metal, hip-hop, techno and the like.

Out of the blue, he asked me about whether or not the HD800s would do well with bass-heavy genres. Believe it or not, the decision was based solely on aesthetics (and my recommendation to avoid Beats, Skullcandy, Bose, and Monster like the plague). I've never heard them personally, so I'm here as a sort of proxy.

Also, I warned him that cans like the HD800s need a great amp to go with them, so in the event that he ends up buying them, he'll have to shell out even more cash. That kinda ruined it for him :))

Anyway, would they be okay for those genres? Also, in the event that he decides to go for something that can plug into a DAP without need for any additional amplification, do you guys have any recommendations? I'm thinking the Beyer t5p myself, though I've only got reviews to go on them; great headphones are kinda hard to come by outside of meets :p

Cheers!

I have heard them at numerous meets.  Very detailed and to me a bit thin sounding.  Requires the best source and amp you can throw at it.  Only time I heard them where they did not drive me nuts was with a very expensive tube amp and a very good dac.  Total cost of amp and dac well  over $6,000.  That is just my opinion though and many folks buy them and seem to like them.  I can find better choices for my money.

Can't help you on a bass oriented can that can be driven with a dap.  The Denon d2000 comes to mind as a relatively neutral can that is affordable with deep bass.  The Audeze are great but require amps.  Sorry could not be of more help on the second part.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #17,841 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone;

First of all i listen music from ipod touch mostly but i use pc too. So should i buy amp/dac combination or just amp ?
And i listen rap/hiphop mostly but not only. I want really good bass, i mean good quality and quantity not just boomy bass.
Finally,  you might think it's not necessary for 770/80 but i want something for forward plannings beyers 990 higher ohms, maybe hd650 :D 
Oops, Max 250 $ 

Thanks for advice....

Amp only since there are only a few amp dacs that will work with a touch and they are costly.  Most good  amps will push the 600 ohm beyers but not to their potential and certainly not a portable amp.  Best compromise for your budget would  be something like the JDS c421.  

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #17,842 of 29,490
Please suggest fast i need to order a headphone asap

will be using with laptop and Ipod

will listen to mostly all genres----trance metal

Help me get a headphone below 150 $ range

Please suggest fast----Was looking at ultrasone and shure lets see what i get

Thank You

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?---------I am not ok with Leak sound

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp------Dont think i would buy a amp

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?-----mp3   256 kbps mosty ---Metal

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? ----i have no idea about this here....

Let me know which would be a good headphones...

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #17,843 of 29,490
Hey everyone. I know there is much debate between the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but I just can't decide! I am looking for some experienced help in choosing my first pair of legit over ear headphones to use with my ipod and laptop!

I am a BIG EDM fan. I like a lot of progressive house music, so base is very important! I also listen to rap and hip-hop. I want great base with clear vocals!

I'm also looking for semi-portability! I know the Crossfade LP2 comes with a 1.2 m cable and a rock solid case so that is perfect for portability, and the ATH-M50 comes with a coiled cable that goes form 4 feet to about 8 feet. Not as good as the Crossfade LP2 in terms of portability but still works! I'll be taking them to school for bus rides everyday. 

And of course sound is extremely important. After reading hundreds of reviews, I have seen a general trend. The ATH-M50 is much clearer and more balanced out. The Crossfade LP2 has great base, but I read that the vocals on the crossfade lp2 dont sound too well. However, Crossfade LP2 advertises noise cancelling, which I heard is only like 30% though from true noise cancelling but still seems better in that aspect. In terms of style and comfort, both are great. ATH-M50 weighs a little more though form what I've heard. About me, I'm a guy with a small head, hat size is 7 1/8. 

The Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition Matte Black is $184 
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Limited-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HMBQR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344741495&sr=8-1&keywords=crossfade+lp2
ir

And the Audio Technica ATH-M50 White (white looks really good w/ these) are $145.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-M50WH-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007GC4L7S/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344741814&sr=1-4&keywords=ath-m50
ir

Price shouldn't really be the deciding factor. Both seem like great headphones and I really can't decide. Please help me make my decision!!

Thanks for your time!

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #17,844 of 29,490
im sorry im sure theres a thread in here somewhere for just this question but i dont want to look through over 1000 pages. i hope you will be willing to help me non the less...

im looking for headphones that have strong bass and dont leak sound. i.e i dont mind that much about noise canceling, i just dont want others to hear what im listening to. i want to be able to listen to loud volume music/films in the middle of the night and not wake anyone up - i have a room mate who's super sensitive to sounds and wakes up if i so much as sneeze.

i listen mostly to dubstep, drum and bass, some breakbeat and recently started listening to house. occasionally i enjoy things like pink floyd or mike oldfield, but not very often.
my budget ranges between 140-170 dollars, id prefer somthing around 150 dollars.

i was thinking of maybe getting the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohms (if anyone can be bothered explaining what ohms are that would be cool) but as i understand, because they are "open back" they leak sound and if im listening on a high volume then its pretty audible to everyone else... the dt 770 pro 250 ohms look great but again, there a tad on the expensive side just like the 990s. i was also looking at the akg k272s but i saw a couple of reviews that claim the bass is lacking, i think bass is the most important to me... maybe i should get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50? i just dont know enough to make a decision.. all the reviews seem to say different things.

i have small jvc headphones for taking with me on the bus or whatnot, what im looking for is for home use, somthing that doesnt need and amp or whatever, headphones i can plug into my computer and enjoy.

all help would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #17,845 of 29,490
Quote:
Amp only since there are only a few amp dacs that will work with a touch and they are costly.  Most good  amps will push the 600 ohm beyers but not to their potential and certainly not a portable amp.  Best compromise for your budget would  be something like the JDS c421.  

What about ibasso models p6, d4 mamba, d12 + ipod + dt990/250-600 ohm or meier corda ? 

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #17,847 of 29,490
Hi. So I'm new to Head fi and have been looking for some over ear headphones. I'm really confused so I'm hoping that you guys would help.
Budget: Under $300, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if there are headphones that fit my needs.
Music: I'd say rock, hiphop, rap, and little R&B. I love bass, but I would still want toned mids and crisp highs.
Portability is not much of an issue.
They will not be amped.
I think I prefer closed.
Comfort is a BIG issue; it's the reason I'm going with over ear. I've tried on-ear, but I can't go for more than 1 hour without major pain on my ears.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 but for some reason I'm not sold yet.
Please give me assurance to buy them or other suggestions that will fit my needs.
Thanks in advance.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #17,848 of 29,490
Quote:
Please suggest fast i need to order a headphone asap

will be using with laptop and Ipod

will listen to mostly all genres----trance metal

Help me get a headphone below 150 $ range

Please suggest fast----Was looking at ultrasone and shure lets see what i get

Thank You

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?---------I am not ok with Leak sound

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp------Dont think i would buy a amp

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?-----mp3   256 kbps mosty ---Metal

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? ----i have no idea about this here....

Let me know which would be a good headphones...

I don't really know what sound signature works well for metal as I don't listen to metal myself, but if trance metal has some similarities to trance, then I would recommend Ultrasone.  At your price you should be able to pick up the HFI-780 which will have a nice solid bass, but will be more balanced than their little brother the HFI-580 which has massive bass.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #17,849 of 29,490
grados are the most fun sounding headphones. but they leak. i currently own beyer dt 1350s that you can get from razor dog deals for $250 if you offer him. and they some beautiful sounding headphones. but maybe you should get a good amp before you go off and buy another headphone. because the sound card cant really bring the best out of the headphone.
but having headphones for certain genres is kind of silly. you should find one headphone that meets your needs.  I just got DT1350s and they have been doing well at every genre i've tested them through. they lack bass but i'm not bass head.  you should probably trade your headphones for some more bassy, headphones , look at some Audiotechnica ES10, or akg 181s, or denons

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #17,850 of 29,490
Hey guys, I've been searching through the forum for quite a while trying to find the perfect pair of headphones, but I can't seem to make a final decision. I've made posts about which would be better but I still can't make up my mind, and I hope this post can finally shed some light on what to buy. I am in no way an expert on headphones, so I'm illiterate in this. I have been going back and fourth wondering if the SRH840's are the headphones I should get, but I feel this size MAY be an issue. My brother has a pair of M50's and I love the sound. The size isn't bad, I can deal with it. Though with the 840's it seems the weight (to some) is a problem. What's the size difference between the M50's and 840's? I've been reading that the 840's are superior in both sound and comfort. Comfort is important to me because I will be commuting a lot on subways and buses so I will be wearing them for a long time. My question is, (not going over $200) what is the best headphones I can find with the following: comfortable headphones, size being around the M50's, sound being JUST like the 840's (or superior), closed back. I will be listening to this on my ipod and computer (no amps). The music I listen to both rock, pop and rap heavily (I like how the M50's sound with these genres but the comfort is terrible imo). I've looked at the up/downtowns, however I'm worried about the cord breaking/slider, so I am no longer interested in that. It's important that they do not leak. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back