++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #17,491 of 29,490
Hey there, back again.

I've done some more reading and have ended up with a handful of headphones that seem to have the sound qualities that I enjoy.

KNS8400 - Detailed, but not overwhelming.
SRH840 - Balanced, with decent bass/mids.
DJ100/Tony Bennett Edition - Balanced, better bass than SRH840
Ultrasone HFI 780 - Balanced, not as strong a bass as HFI 580 though.

I've got a budget of around $200, I live in Canada so prices are most likely different, so I'm willing to go up $250 if totally necessary. Looking for an accurate bass that doesn't bleed, but has a nice rumble (nothing like what bassheads look for), and a warm sound overall, with trebles that have a slight roll-off and aren't fatiguing/harsh. 

I'm not going to buy an amplifier or DAC, at least not in the near future, and the sources I have are an ASUS N series and a simple iPod Nano (6G). I have a 2.1 and a 5.1 speaker set - and I'm trying to figure out how to use the 5.1 with my laptop without buying a sound card.

I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms since it's what I've been gathering through reading around the forum. And I know that there isn't a high chance that one headphone will have all the qualities I'm looking for - but I'd like you guys' help in finding the one that's the closest.

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #17,492 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for closed, over ear headphones for listening to music on my iphone without an amp. I listen to techno, dubstep, hiphop, and rap. They cant be more than $200. Also, I'm looking for some cool models like the astro a30s or V-Moda Crossfade LP because I would like to wear these around school. The LPs are cool but I understand that they are very bass heavy. Has anyone tried them? I don't want the bass to be overpowering, I would prefer the headphones to be balanced. Do you guys know any headphones that would fit these characteristics? I understand that the ultrasones are very popular in this category. Thanks!

The LP's are fairly impressive headphones--especially for a first effort.  They are a bit bass heavy and have weak highs.  You should get the  V-Moda M-80, which is two releases down the line and improved over the LP's.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #17,493 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm a new comer to the Head-fi community and have been researching which headphones I should be buying to use with my computer (no dedicated sound card yet). I am hoping to spend no more than $300 on the headphones/amps. I was wondering what the best combination would be. I was originally looking at the DT990 Premium 600ohm, but that leaves me with like no money to spend on an amp. I have the DP-GA500 Sony headset/Amp. I don't think this would be enough to power them. So I would like to know that the best headphone/amp combo would be the best for the money. I would be mainly using them for FPS gaming so a good sound stage is a must. I also like some nice bass.

Start with the gaming guide that is linked in the opening post of this thread.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #17,494 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there, back again.

I've done some more reading and have ended up with a handful of headphones that seem to have the sound qualities that I enjoy.

KNS8400 - Detailed, but not overwhelming.
SRH840 - Balanced, with decent bass/mids.
DJ100/Tony Bennett Edition - Balanced, better bass than SRH840
Ultrasone HFI 780 - Balanced, not as strong a bass as HFI 580 though.

I've got a budget of around $200, I live in Canada so prices are most likely different, so I'm willing to go up $250 if totally necessary. Looking for an accurate bass that doesn't bleed, but has a nice rumble (nothing like what bassheads look for), and a warm sound overall, with trebles that have a slight roll-off and aren't fatiguing/harsh. 

I'm not going to buy an amplifier or DAC, at least not in the near future, and the sources I have are an ASUS N series and a simple iPod Nano (6G). I have a 2.1 and a 5.1 speaker set - and I'm trying to figure out how to use the 5.1 with my laptop without buying a sound card.

I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms since it's what I've been gathering through reading around the forum. And I know that there isn't a high chance that one headphone will have all the qualities I'm looking for - but I'd like you guys' help in finding the one that's the closest.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean when you use the phrase "warm sound overall".  The 840's have the mid-bass hump and treble that is a bit recessed.  On the other hand the Koss is mid-centric and might be what you mean by a "warm sound overall".  The 780 is too bright for your preferences.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #17,495 of 29,490
The LP's are fairly impressive headphones--especially for a first effort.  They are a bit bass heavy and have weak highs.  You should get the  V-Moda M-80, which is two releases down the line and improved over the LP's.

Personally I thought the original LPs were pretty awful. Really muddy and sounded really cheap considering how well they were built.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #17,496 of 29,490
Quote:
Personally I thought the original LPs were pretty awful. Really muddy and sounded really cheap considering how well they were built.

I got a set of LP's in late 2011 for less than $80.  I found the whole package to be quite impressive, especially for lifestyle cans.  I realize that there is a real division here on the these cans.  However currently they have 318 (mainstream) reviews from Amazon and all but about 30 give them 4 or 5 stars.  BTW--I no longer have them because my wife took a shine to them just after I burned them in.  She personally met a couple of the Beatles during one of their early U.S. tours, so she is certainly no basshead or within their target demographic.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #17,497 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean when you use the phrase "warm sound overall".  The 840's have the mid-bass hump and treble that is a bit recessed.  On the other hand the Koss is mid-centric and might be what you mean by a "warm sound overall".  The 780 is too bright for your preferences.

I'm not really familiar with what a mid-bass hump is. And with the 840's, when you say the treble is recessed, does that mean that you can't hear cymbals crashing as clearly?

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #17,498 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm not really familiar with what a mid-bass hump is. And with the 840's, when you say the treble is recessed, does that mean that you can't hear cymbals crashing as clearly?

Mid-bass hump means that the mid-bass frequencies are enhanced.

Your are almost correct in stating an example (and perhaps the easiest for most to detect) of the impact of recessed treble.  The effect is more one of loudness--or the lack thereof--although lower volume could affect clarity.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #17,499 of 29,490
Quote:
Mid-bass hump means that the mid-bass frequencies are enhanced.

Your are almost correct in stating an example (and perhaps the easiest for most to detect) of the impact of recessed treble.  The effect is more one of loudness--or the lack thereof--although lower volume could affect clarity.

I see, thank you for the clarification. Do you have any suggestions for the SRH840 to have better trebles? And what are the differences between the 840's and the DJ100, in terms of each sound: bass, mids and trebles?

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #17,500 of 29,490
Quote:

I see, thank you for the clarification. Do you have any suggestions for the SRH840 to have better trebles? And what are the differences between the 840's and the DJ100, in terms of each sound: bass, mids and trebles?

The 840's are clearer, faster, more detailed and more balanced.  The 100 has very forward upper mids.

The 840's street price is also 2x or more that of the 100.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #17,502 of 29,490
Quote:
not a bass head, so that's not a problem. i think any headphone would give me more bass than the AD-700, and that'd be fine. i enjoy the punch the PortaPros can deliver and i know for sure those aren't bass heavy.

so do you have any recommendation based on the information i've given?

I've run a he500 out of an O2 with decent results. Their pretty flat and decent all rounders with REALLY good bass, as expected from an ortho. If you want more bass but like the sound signature the ad900 is always a choice but it's quite cold sounding. I use the K701, it's warmer than the ad900 with better technical performance in all areas. You can drive them from a fiio fine.

Quote:
Looking for portable headphones that fold, able to fit in pocket. Something the size of porta pro would be good. Also looking for one that doesn't leak sound, and blocks sound. Not looking for earphones

Looking to keep under $100

Doesn't exist. Nothing pocketable will isolate other than IEMs

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #17,503 of 29,490
Quote:
Maybe you should just go with one headphone--perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT 1350.

See: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

okay thanks. i looked into them and they seem fine aside from the complaints of the comfort.

Quote:
I've run a he500 out of an O2 with decent results. Their pretty flat and decent all rounders with REALLY good bass, as expected from an ortho. If you want more bass but like the sound signature the ad900 is always a choice but it's quite cold sounding. I use the K701, it's warmer than the ad900 with better technical performance in all areas. You can drive them from a fiio fine.

i owned the K701 but never got to amp them properly so unfortunately i've never heard them at their best, but i will definitely borrow my friends and see how i like them. thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #17,504 of 29,490
Didn't see this thread when I started my own...at any rate:

I own the WA2, utilizing the 7236 power tubes. Presently, I have been using Denon d2000s for listening. I primarily listen to metal (everything from death to thrash to black and so on).

I've been perusing the forums looking for advice on upgrading my phones. From what I've read, several posters have stated that either the Hifiman HE-500 or Auduze LCD-2 might pair well with the WA2. Other posters have disagreed and a recent email response from Woo Audio stated

"[size=11pt]The impedance of these headphones is technically compatible to the WA2. However, they are rated 89dB and 91dB which are low sensitive. They require a higher power amp to power them at their full potential."[/size]

I'd like to keep my budget in the $700 to $1000 range. Any advice, particularly those based on personal experience, would be welcome. Thoughts on both the Senn HD700 or a Grado model would be great as well.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #17,505 of 29,490
Bixby, thank you also for your input.  I agree with you that KG is steering me in the right direction, but, damn, I REALLY like the look of the AKGs.   I'll just have to get over it, I suppose - looks aren't really much once you get down to brass tacks.

So, I seem to be zeroing in on the Brainwavz HM5.  I like the detachable cables, extra earpads (and they look lush!), and overall basic design.   Anyone have any input about long(er) term build quality?  And, possibly, how they'd stack up against my old JVC HARX900s?  I assume much better.

If I get the HM5s, it looks like I can drive them through my on-board audio on my PC, so I can hold off finding a good old receiver for the time being, until i find the right one, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back