++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #16,936 of 29,490
Quote:
No need to feel bashful. There's a lot of people around here that listen to really weird crap. :wink:

I don't know if it's being bashful per se, but it's that I can't really decide. One day I may decide to pop some really nice, soothing orchestral soundtracks, and the next day I turn to heavy metal, and the next I turn to drum and bass. The only defining characteristic is that a good chunk is from Japanese artists, but other than that, it goes quite awry.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #16,937 of 29,490
Quote:

The 4xx are closed actually. I beg to differ on Senn's durability. There have been some reports of headbands cracking on some models but it appears to be a minority that experiences it.

There are a number of credible reports, with pictures, of cracked headbands. It appears to have been a design defect, a defect now corrected..

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Sennheisers to go with my DT 990's. The problem reports don't worry me a bit ... just the prices.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #16,938 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't know if it's being bashful per se, but it's that I can't really decide. One day I may decide to pop some really nice, soothing orchestral soundtracks, and the next day I turn to heavy metal, and the next I turn to drum and bass. The only defining characteristic is that a good chunk is from Japanese artists, but other than that, it goes quite awry.

Well I feel you. I have a hard time categorizing which genres of music I'm into. So basically you're looking for some good all-around headphones probably...

Since you're looking for an open, full-size headphone for home use I would recommend taking a look at the Sennheiser HD 600. Its only weakness IMO is that it doesn't have a lot of sub-bass so it isn't perfect IMO for some electronic/rap/r&b type stuff. But other than that they are phenomenal cans and really aren't as hard to drive as some people think. The E10 would work with them.

You may also want to look into the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and DT 990.

Others will likely have more recommendations. Good luck.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #16,939 of 29,490
Quote:

There are a number of credible reports, with pictures, of cracked headbands. It appears to have been a design defect, a defect now corrected..

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Sennheisers to go with my DT 990's. The problem reports don't worry me a bit ... just the prices.

Which model? Look into razordogdeals2008 on ebay. He is an authorized dealer and it might surprise you what he is willing to accept through the 'Make an Offer' feature.

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #16,940 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm fairly new to the headphone audio world, so I apologize if the details I give are too vague. I'm currently in the process of finding a new pair of headphones to upgrade from my current aiaiai TMA-1's. I enjoy listening to electronic and hip/hop with them but they don't seem to cut it when it comes to classic rock and acoustic music. I'm looking to take a step up from my current headphones but there seem to be an overwhelming number of options at this level.

Here are some criteria to help:

1) $400 budget for the headphones
2) good with rock and folk genres
3) I am willing to purchase a decent amp for them
4) I listen mainly from an iPhone 4 (and sometimes from my macbook air but it tends to sound "hollow")
5) all of my music is either Apple Lossless or 320 kbps 

Thanks for the help. 

Assuming open are OK: Beyer DT 880, AKG Q701, Senn HD 600, Sony MDR-MA900 (does not need an amp), Alessandro MS2i (does not need an amp).

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #16,941 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, hello, I'm currently very well satisfied with my ATH-M50's as of late, but I would like to take suggestions to move into heavier territory. I currently own a FiiO E10 amp/DAC, so anything that requires a bit of juice to drive (>300ohms) will be rather difficult. If possible, I'd like to request a rather large list of general suggestions, as I'd like to add them into my own bank of research and fiddle/test each one out if possible. I don't plan to make a purchase for some time.

A couple guidelines:
Open, full-size headphones
Again, easy to drive
Majority home use
$500 cap, probably $400-500 range give or take

Thanks, thanks.

Sony MDR-SA5000, Senn HD 600 or 650, Grado RS2i, Beyer DT 880.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #16,942 of 29,490
Quote:
Assuming open are OK: Beyer DT 880, AKG Q701, Senn HD 600, Sony MDR-MA900 (does not need an amp), Alessandro MS2i (does not need an amp).

Thanks for the suggestions. Open are fine with me since I will mainly be using them at home. I was under the impression that the Alessandro MS2i's are usually amped? However I may have just come across threads discussing amps for them and not if they needed to have an amp. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #16,943 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Open are fine with me since I will mainly be using them at home. I was under the impression that the Alessandro MS2i's are usually amped? However I may have just come across threads discussing amps for them and not if they needed to have an amp. 

While an amp can't hurt, they are based on the Grado SR 325is and are very efficient.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #16,944 of 29,490
Quote:
Let's say I'd raised my budget to $400 and wouldn't mind if I had to add an amp, what would you guys recommend me than?

Closed or semi-closed, for recording/tracking with great comfort.

Beyerdynamic DT 880 250ohm + a cheap FIIO amp? Or a DT 770? Or DT 990? ....too much choice.

Ultrasone PRO 750 or PRO 900 would be great if amped. Denon D5000 are great amped too. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #16,945 of 29,490
Hi, I am in the final phase now. Just need a dac recommendation.

Here is what I am getting:

Beyer dt880 600ohm
Little Dot mk III (?)
Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7s-VT-231 -Square -D -Getter  (Not sure what "Square" means)

Just need a dac with spdif input (toslink) that will fit my setup. Not sure what a good dac will add instead of a not so good one, but I do not want a person dac that does not fit the family.

On a budget though, so is 300$ - 400 $ too much / little for my setup? :)

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #16,946 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I am in the final phase now. Just need a dac recommendation.

Here is what I am getting:

Beyer dt880 600ohm
Little Dot mk III (?)
Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7s-VT-231 -Square -D -Getter  (Not sure what "Square" means)

Just need a dac with spdif input (toslink) that will fit my setup. Not sure what a good dac will add instead of a not so good one, but I do not want a person dac that does not fit the family.

On a budget though, so is 300$ - 400 $ too much / little for my setup? :)

Square is the shape of the getter in the tube.  What is your source and player software?  And will this be a dedicated music computer or will you be doing other things while you listen?

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #16,947 of 29,490
Quote:
Square is the shape of the getter in the tube.  What is your source and player software?  And will this be a dedicated music computer or will you be doing other things while you listen?

I think I will switch out the little dot with a Darkvoice 336se btw.

Will use the laptop, with built in 3.5mm optical spdif. Player - foobar - flac.  Will do other things, like movies and games. soundstage is therefor important.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #16,948 of 29,490
Hiya.  I'm realizing I have a little bit of play money on amazon (around $125) that I will not miss whatsoever, so been debating getting a headphone.  I already own a Grado SR-80i and a Skullcandy Aviator (Yep, bought it b/c I loved the looks and using it while on the phone, thankfully it turned out to actually be pleasing to listen to.)  I also ordered a Fostex T50RP to see how I like that headphone.  Musically, I listen mainly to alternative music, but branch out quite a lot depending on my moods and who's exposing me to new music, except rap and country.  Most of my listening will be at computer, for which I am currently using a soundblaster x-fi hd.  Portably, I'd be listening on an iphone using ALAC, along with a CMOY altoid amp a friend of mine made for me (I think I remember him mentioning something about the same chip Grado's RA-1 uses.)

Mainly, I'm curious if I can buy a headphone for around 125 that might be an upgrade, or add something I don't have, basshead route most likely in that respect.  If there really isn't anything that'd be worth pursuing for that amount, I can just save up for later.

Either way, thanks for the consideration and possible info!

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #16,949 of 29,490
Hi guys. awesome forum, one question.

For my desktop, I use Senn Px 100..been using them for years. But the pads are damaged and the head foam is coming apart. So should I buy another pair for 50$? Or should I upgrade. Can spend up to 250$ for a desktop daily headphone pair.

Suggestions?

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #16,950 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys. awesome forum, one question.

For my desktop, I use Senn Px 100..been using them for years. But the pads are damaged and the head foam is coming apart. So should I buy another pair for 50$? Or should I upgrade. Can spend up to 250$ for a desktop daily headphone pair.

Suggestions?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back