++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #16,951 of 29,490
@csjesse and everyone else:

We need more info than just your price range. What genres do you listen to? Do you have an amp or are you planning on getting one? Will you use them for gaming and movies as well? Do you need isolation from outside noise (open-back vs. closed-back)? The more information you can give us the better recommendations you'll get, just try not to write a whole book because if it gets really long you won't get very many people that are willing or have enough time to read it all.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #16,952 of 29,490
Quote:

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)? Yes

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp? Don't have one, but willing to get one if everying is <300$

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans? mp3, avi, 320kbs mostly. Is this a valid answer?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? I'm too noobie to answer this 

What music genres do you plan run through these cans? Buble, classical, latin + GAMING/MOVIES

Thanks! :D

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #16,953 of 29,490
Oops, forgot isolation in my request:  have no issues with if its isolated or not, mainly using my grado currently.  As far as games and movies, most likely will not use the headphones unless a random unforeseen need to be quieter pops up for them, but not likely.  If I forgot any other pertinent info, just smack me and remind me, I tend to be a bit absent minded.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #16,954 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and was wondering whether I should get the ATH-M50 or the Ultrasone HFI 580. 

I've already owned the ATH-M50s, but my house was broken into and now I'm looking to replace them with either the HFI 580s or just get another pair.

Anyway, I listen to pretty much everything, but I tend to stray towards hip-hop and pop a lot, as well as songs that focus more on vocals. 

Something big for me is build quality, as I want these to last a long time. The ATH-M50s were very sturdy, but how do they compare to the HFI 580s? Lastly, something that I also want to consider is portability. I'm a college student so often times when I go around campus studying at the library and whatnot, I bring along my headphones. The Ultrasones have a long straight cord, but if I were to go with the ATH-M50, I'd get the coiled version which seems a lot more portable. But since it is coiled, does it get tangled a lot? 

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #16,955 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone. I currently have a Fiio E17 paired with Yamaha EPH-100 and VSonic GR-07 IEMs. I enjoy the sound signature on both of these IEMs for different reasons, but am looking for something similar. I have had the same headphones for years that I purchased cheap from New Egg as I dont use full size headphones quite often, Sennheiser HD202. I have recently purchased a new laptop and would like the option to use full size headphones when I want to. 

Any recommendations? I would prefer to keep the cost around $150 or lower, but will entertain costs as high as $250. Music taste is all over the board, but generally more classic rock, modern rock/alternative. I will be using them every now and then for games, but that is not my priority. 

Anyone??

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #16,956 of 29,490
Looking for an IEM recommendation, my music tastes are:
20% Classical
40% Electronic
20% Rock
20% Rap/Hip-Hop

I had the MTPCs but lost them, so I want to get a new IEM for outside wear. I have the MTPGs, which are pretty good, not as good as the coppers were, but my dad "stole" them.

MTPCs were actually a little too bright for my taste, can someone recommend me some ~$200 IEMs with good mids, acceptable bass, and highs that aren't so bright?

My eyes are set on the TF10s, but I'm always open to suggestions :)

BTW: For everyone talking about Beyer 770 or 990s, I have a post selling a perfect condition 990, if anyone wants to check it out.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #16,957 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and was wondering whether I should get the ATH-M50 or the Ultrasone HFI 580. 

I've already owned the ATH-M50s, but my house was broken into and now I'm looking to replace them with either the HFI 580s or just get another pair.

Anyway, I listen to pretty much everything, but I tend to stray towards hip-hop and pop a lot, as well as songs that focus more on vocals. 

Something big for me is build quality, as I want these to last a long time. The ATH-M50s were very sturdy, but how do they compare to the HFI 580s? Lastly, something that I also want to consider is portability. I'm a college student so often times when I go around campus studying at the library and whatnot, I bring along my headphones. The Ultrasones have a long straight cord, but if I were to go with the ATH-M50, I'd get the coiled version which seems a lot more portable. But since it is coiled, does it get tangled a lot? 

Thanks for any help in advance.

Get HFI 580. Much better pair of headphones in every way except comfort.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #16,958 of 29,490
I recently bought the AKG k702 and a Fiio e7 and am in the process of breaking them in. I still have maybe 80 more hours to go. I decided to shell out now for a good set of headphones and buy a less expensive DAC and amp that I can upgrade later. I am pretty green with respect to the equipment that properly powers headphones, but I did feel like I could tell that the e7 amp was not powerful enough to power the 702 while I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon. I returned the fiio e7 and am considering the e17, and from fiio's website, the specs for the e17 have an output of 30-250 mW which is greater than the e7 with an output of 16-150 mW. I'm guessing that's the spec of the amp that determines how loud the phones get, but I don't know. Can anyone with experience with the e17 or 702s confirm that the e17 is an adequate begginer DAC and amp? Are there other combinations that would be an an adequate DAC amp combo for a pretty limited budget of around $140?

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #16,959 of 29,490
Quote:
I recently bought the AKG k702 and a Fiio e7 and am in the process of breaking them in. I still have maybe 80 more hours to go. I decided to shell out now for a good set of headphones and buy a less expensive DAC and amp that I can upgrade later. I am pretty green with respect to the equipment that properly powers headphones, but I did feel like I could tell that the e7 amp was not powerful enough to power the 702 while I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon. I returned the fiio e7 and am considering the e17, and from fiio's website, the specs for the e17 have an output of 30-250 mW which is greater than the e7 with an output of 16-150 mW. I'm guessing that's the spec of the amp that determines how loud the phones get, but I don't know. Can anyone with experience with the e17 or 702s confirm that the e17 is an adequate begginer DAC and amp? Are there other combinations that would be an an adequate DAC amp combo for a pretty limited budget of around $140?

hmm...maybe look into some iBasso stuff

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #16,961 of 29,490
Hi i'm looking for a recommendation for some closed back circumaural full sizes... i recently owned the ATH M50's which I initially liked due to the bass thump, but quickly realised they didn't hold enough clarity and the soundstage was too tight. I then bought some K550's which I immediately hated, but realised I was getting a poor fit. Sitting at home I can get a good fit and a good sound, but I really need something that works on the three hours a day I spend commuting, with a much less finikity fit. I want to run them through my ipod classic and an E11 Fiio. I want plenty of bass thump for electronic music, but also a nice clear open sound. Can spend up to about £200-£230 I reckon... please help!

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #16,963 of 29,490
I need help deciding on small headphones for road trips
I nailed it down to the Sennheiser HD238 and the AKG K450.
I'm leaning towards the HD238 but I would like to know how the bass is on both headphones.
I am a basshead, but I'm not expecting these to be basshead phones. I do hope one of these can at least give me decent to okay bass

Any advice is appreciated

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #16,965 of 29,490
Quote:
I haven't heard either of the IEMs you listed. What do you like about each one? Do you need them to be closed/open for isolation reasons? Do they need to have portability? Are you willing to purchase an amp? If you can answer these it might give a better idea of what headphones might work for.

The GR-07 is very crisp and clear, but not fatiguing with continued use. What it lacks in bass I am able to accomodate for using the E17. The EPH-100 has a nice, wide soundstage with more depth. I switch back and forth between both quite frequently. 

I am actually able to increase my budget more now, into the $400 range. As I said my taste is all over the board. I can listen to classical music, an instrumental piece from a soundtrack, techno, Metallica, Bon Jovi or something harder like Skillet or Seether. I dont need to be sitting front stage when listening to music, but I do prefer depth, crisp vocals, tight mid-bass and little to no sibilance.  

I prefer over the ear and comfort is important. I prefer closed for isolation so I dont bug the wife too much. I am hoping to go with something that can be driven by the E17 for the time being, but a new amp down the road will be a possibility. 

I originally started out looking at the M50's due to the hype, but started looking elsewhere as I read more and more threads. I have found a good price on the Ultrasone Pro 900's within my budget and was looking into them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back