++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #16,921 of 29,490
Quote:

If you like a bass heavy sound without going into full basshead territory, then get the Philips.  If you want a more balanced, neutral-ish sound signature go with the Sonys.  Both are comfortable and durable.  The Sony isolates well and I believe (but know) that the Philips does too.

For your music types, I'd go with the Sony.

One final question I have to ask - are the Senn 280/429/439s, AKG81s, or Shure 440s worth looking at at all?

EDIT: Or even other Sonys, like the MDR-V6

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #16,922 of 29,490
Quote:
One final question I have to ask - are the Senn 280/429/439s, AKG81s, or Shure 440s worth looking at at all?

EDIT: Or even other Sonys, like the MDR-V6

The HD 4xx are open, so I don't think they will work for portable use.  I don't know about the 280, but Senn is not known for making durable cans.

The AKG is decent but below the two finalist in sound quality and it is a head clamper.

The 440 is a good can.  It's weakness for your intended use is exposed wires to the head cups.  It has a removable cable.

The V6 is just a click below the 440 in sound quality.  As I recall it is not the best configured can for portable use.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #16,923 of 29,490
Quote:

The HD 4xx are open, so I don't think they will work for portable use.  I don't know about the 280, but Senn is not known for making durable cans.

The AKG is decent but below the two finalist in sound quality and it is a head clamper.

The 440 is a good can.  It's weakness for your intended use is exposed wires to the head cups.  It has a removable cable.

The V6 is just a click below the 440 in sound quality.  As I recall it is not the best configured can for portable use.

Hm... So I guess it's the MDR-ZX700s vs the Downtowns vs the SRH440s.  I've heard that the SRH 440s may be uncomfortable, so they may be out (and the Downtowns may be out for being bass-heavier than I thought).  I guess the question is, are they bass-heavy at the expense of other parts of their sound?

Do they all do fine with 256 kbps AAC played from a variety of sources with no amps?

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #16,924 of 29,490
Hello,

First time poster, young lurker (young as in haven't been lurking long, nothing about my age).

Anyway some BG information:
I love music. I think it is one of the best inventions, that humans have ever made. That being said, I love listening to it wherever I go.
I listen to a variety of musical genres as I am a song guy not a album/artist/genre guy. I have d'n'b, house, techno, "electronica"
, rock, alt-rock, folk, classical, metal, trip-hop, hip-hop, rap,etc... I listen to bass heavier music most of the time, but I don't need to bass bleeding into the other ranges.

I currently own a pair of AKG K240 Studio I bought in Switzerland on a trip in 2006. These have made me realize how a great pair of phones can change the song you are listening to.
Since they are semi-open and I use them everywhere, sometimes they get drowned out and I don't want to damage my ears by having them full blast. I usually use a iPod Touch as my main .mp3 player, but that could be going out too.

I am looking for a closed replacement for the AKG K240's. I would like them to reproduce the music as accurate as possible with being able to keep up to the bass of the drum and bass (my go to genre). I would like them to be durable enough for walking and busing around (I sometimes bike with the AKG but feel a bit better as I can hear a car honk if needed). My price range is sub $150. Don't care how they look aesthetics was never my thing. I really like the AKG's but haven't had another good pair of phones (cans as you guys call them). I have beat the crap out of these K240's (Dropped, squished, heat (sun), cold (winter with wind chill of -30), etc) and they have lasted like a champ!

Thanks for any recommendations!

TL;DR (as I have been known to drivel on)
Looking for replacement for AKG K240 Studio; Closed; Durable
Price: > $150
Music: Drum and Bass (main genre), but anything else (Rock, alt, folk, classical, hip-hop, etc)
What I want: Accurate music reproduction; able to drive bass heavy songs.
Looks: Do not care about aesthetics
Comfort: Able to wear for at least 4 hours at a time

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #16,925 of 29,490
Quote:

The 4xx are closed actually. I beg to differ on Senn's durability. There have been some reports of headbands cracking on some models but it appears to be a minority that experiences it. I've always been very impressed with their durability. Their cables are admittedly thin but are actually a lot stronger than their thinness implies.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #16,926 of 29,490
Quote:

The HD 600 is a classic neutral audiophile entry can.  It is a bit hard to drive and I not familiar with the desktop amp/dac you referenced.  Be aware that you need to listening to something better than standard MP3's to make a jump to this level worth your expenditures.

Other great options from this page are the Beyer DT 880, HD 650 (although the price spread seems significant between it and the HD 600) and the Sony MDR-MA900 (which does not need an amp).

Hello KG Jag, thank you for replying.
Yes, from the HD 600 reviews I understood that I need something proper to drive them and then I came across the Audinst I referenced, and the Audinst reviews suggest that it would be enough.

Most of my daily listening are FLAC so that's no problem :)

The HD 650 is a tad over budget and from the Head-Fi summer buying guide I concluded that they wouldnt't offer anything worthy of being 69€ more expensive than the HD 600.

I'll take a look at the DT 880, thanks :)

Also I did look at the MDR-MA900's earlier today but since I seriously need a new DAC I'm going to get the Audinst anyway, I prefer a physical volume knob and since I can use it as a DAC for my Tripath amplifier as well so I don't know whether it would be wise using the Sony's with an amp, too much volume or something & with the possibility of actually damaging them or something?

---

Continuing to type this after a while of reading some comparison/reviews of HD 600 & DT 880 600Ohm versions and I can't really decide which.
I might have to get both  
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

Hrrmmh I think I'll sleep it off first..

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #16,927 of 29,490
Quote:
Hm... So I guess it's the MDR-ZX700s vs the Downtowns vs the SRH440s.  I've heard that the SRH 440s may be uncomfortable, so they may be out (and the Downtowns may be out for being bass-heavier than I thought).  I guess the question is, are they bass-heavy at the expense of other parts of their sound?

Do they all do fine with 256 kbps AAC played from a variety of sources with no amps?

The 440's comfort issue can be solved by buying 840 pads.  All are designed for you stated intended uses.  Here are Tyll's three reviews:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #16,928 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

First time poster, young lurker (young as in haven't been lurking long, nothing about my age).

Anyway some BG information:
I love music. I think it is one of the best inventions, that humans have ever made. That being said, I love listening to it wherever I go.
I listen to a variety of musical genres as I am a song guy not a album/artist/genre guy. I have d'n'b, house, techno, "electronica"
, rock, alt-rock, folk, classical, metal, trip-hop, hip-hop, rap,etc... I listen to bass heavier music most of the time, but I don't need to bass bleeding into the other ranges.

I currently own a pair of AKG K240 Studio I bought in Switzerland on a trip in 2006. These have made me realize how a great pair of phones can change the song you are listening to.
Since they are semi-open and I use them everywhere, sometimes they get drowned out and I don't want to damage my ears by having them full blast. I usually use a iPod Touch as my main .mp3 player, but that could be going out too.

I am looking for a closed replacement for the AKG K240's. I would like them to reproduce the music as accurate as possible with being able to keep up to the bass of the drum and bass (my go to genre). I would like them to be durable enough for walking and busing around (I sometimes bike with the AKG but feel a bit better as I can hear a car honk if needed). My price range is sub $150. Don't care how they look aesthetics was never my thing. I really like the AKG's but haven't had another good pair of phones (cans as you guys call them). I have beat the crap out of these K240's (Dropped, squished, heat (sun), cold (winter with wind chill of -30), etc) and they have lasted like a champ!

Thanks for any recommendations!

TL;DR (as I have been known to drivel on)
Looking for replacement for AKG K240 Studio; Closed; Durable
Price: > $150
Music: Drum and Bass (main genre), but anything else (Rock, alt, folk, classical, hip-hop, etc)
What I want: Accurate music reproduction; able to drive bass heavy songs.
Looks: Do not care about aesthetics
Comfort: Able to wear for at least 4 hours at a time

Ultrsone HiFi 780.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #16,929 of 29,490
Quote:

The 4xx are closed actually. I beg to differ on Senn's durability. There have been some reports of headbands cracking on some models but it appears to be a minority that experiences it. I've always been very impressed with their durability. Their cables are admittedly thin but are actually a lot stronger than their thinness implies.

You're right about them being closed--their pictures sure look like they are open.

I have owned many Senns since the 1990's.  I like them a great deal.  But until you get to the HD 600 (which no one in his right mind, who is not a trust fund kid, would just toss into a backpack), they are not nearly as durable as either the Philips or Sony.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #16,930 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello KG Jag, thank you for replying.
Yes, from the HD 600 reviews I understood that I need something proper to drive them and then I came across the Audinst I referenced, and the Audinst reviews suggest that it would be enough.

Most of my daily listening are FLAC so that's no problem :)

The HD 650 is a tad over budget and from the Head-Fi summer buying guide I concluded that they wouldnt't offer anything worthy of being 69€ more expensive than the HD 600.

I'll take a look at the DT 880, thanks :)

Also I did look at the MDR-MA900's earlier today but since I seriously need a new DAC I'm going to get the Audinst anyway, I prefer a physical volume knob and since I can use it as a DAC for my Tripath amplifier as well so I don't know whether it would be wise using the Sony's with an amp, too much volume or something & with the possibility of actually damaging them or something?

---

Continuing to type this after a while of reading some comparison/reviews of HD 600 & DT 880 600Ohm versions and I can't really decide which.
I might have to get both  
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

Hrrmmh I think I'll sleep it off first..

Good idea to sleep on it ("sleeping it off" means something much different).

Using the Sony with an amp is fine, as long as you don't have the volume too high.  It's a very good and virtually unknown open can here in the U.S.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #16,931 of 29,490
Hello, hello, I'm currently very well satisfied with my ATH-M50's as of late, but I would like to take suggestions to move into heavier territory. I currently own a FiiO E10 amp/DAC, so anything that requires a bit of juice to drive (>300ohms) will be rather difficult. If possible, I'd like to request a rather large list of general suggestions, as I'd like to add them into my own bank of research and fiddle/test each one out if possible. I don't plan to make a purchase for some time.

A couple guidelines:
Open, full-size headphones
Again, easy to drive
Majority home use
$500 cap, probably $400-500 range give or take

Thanks, thanks.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #16,932 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, hello, I'm currently very well satisfied with my ATH-M50's as of late, but I would like to take suggestions to move into heavier territory. I currently own a FiiO E10 amp/DAC, so anything that requires a bit of juice to drive (>300ohms) will be rather difficult. If possible, I'd like to request a rather large list of general suggestions, as I'd like to add them into my own bank of research and fiddle/test each one out if possible. I don't plan to make a purchase for some time.

A couple guidelines:
Open, full-size headphones
Again, easy to drive
Majority home use
$500 cap, probably $400-500 range give or take

Thanks, thanks.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #16,933 of 29,490
I'm fairly new to the headphone audio world, so I apologize if the details I give are too vague. I'm currently in the process of finding a new pair of headphones to upgrade from my current aiaiai TMA-1's. I enjoy listening to electronic and hip/hop with them but they don't seem to cut it when it comes to classic rock and acoustic music. I'm looking to take a step up from my current headphones but there seem to be an overwhelming number of options at this level.

Here are some criteria to help:

1) $400 budget for the headphones
2) good with rock and folk genres
3) I am willing to purchase a decent amp for them
4) I listen mainly from an iPhone 4 (and sometimes from my macbook air but it tends to sound "hollow")
5) all of my music is either Apple Lossless or 320 kbps 

Thanks for the help. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #16,934 of 29,490
Quote:

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Format, probably 98% FLAC/lossless, just music. As for sound signature or genre, I'm a bit afraid to kind of answer this since I listen to a rather strange variety. I suppose I listen mostly to JRock/JPop with a bit of electronic on the side, though it's all quite general.

edit: for clarity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back