++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #16,801 of 29,490
Hello, 

I recently bought the Sennheiser HD598s after recommendations from this thread. Now, after doing some research on this site I've found that many people recommend using an amp with >2ohm output impedance to improve the bass on these cans. I'm picking up the headphones tomorrow so I haven't heard them for myself and don't know if this will be an issue or not. If this were an issue for me though, what amp would be recommended (the cheaper the better). Also I'm listening form my macbook pro and ipod nano so portability is necessary. Some that I've looked at so far:

fiio e11/ e9
JDS labs o2 (a bit too expensive)
anything cheaper that would do the trick?

Also from what I've read, an external DAC would be my next step up in sound quality. I wouldn't be buying one for another year or so unless a good deal came up, but what is a good jack-of-all trades entry level dac for my computer that would keep me satisfied for a long time and would do justice to just about any headphones. (a bit much to ask for, but otherwise my wallet would be empty from continuously buying new equipment.) Portability isn't an issue here, it would be dedicated to computer use. Price range >$200 but willing to spend absolutely no more than $300.

Since you're on a budget the Fiio E17 might be a good choice since it could double as both a portable amp and a desktop/laptop DAC and its fairly cheap.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #16,802 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry for being vague there. An Audioengine D1.

302kbps and WAV. 

I'll admit I want something with a colored sound signature.

Some classical, but mostly electronic. Stuff like hard trance, psy trance,  etc.

The Ultrasone Pro 750 is probably the best fit--but you'll need an amp.  The D2000 doesn't require an amp, but will benefit from one.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #16,804 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, 

I recently bought the Sennheiser HD598s after recommendations from this thread. Now, after doing some research on this site I've found that many people recommend using an amp with >2ohm output impedance to improve the bass on these cans. I'm picking up the headphones tomorrow so I haven't heard them for myself and don't know if this will be an issue or not. If this were an issue for me though, what amp would be recommended (the cheaper the better). Also I'm listening form my macbook pro and ipod nano so portability is necessary. Some that I've looked at so far:

fiio e11/ e9
JDS labs o2 (a bit too expensive)
anything cheaper that would do the trick?

Also from what I've read, an external DAC would be my next step up in sound quality. I wouldn't be buying one for another year or so unless a good deal came up, but what is a good jack-of-all trades entry level dac for my computer that would keep me satisfied for a long time and would do justice to just about any headphones. (a bit much to ask for, but otherwise my wallet would be empty from continuously buying new equipment.) Portability isn't an issue here, it would be dedicated to computer use. Price range >$200 but willing to spend absolutely no more than $300.

Apple products seem to come with decent audio support and the HD598 (50-Ohm) are fairly easy to drive.
So you might be happy connecting the HD598 straight to your apple device(s).

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #16,806 of 29,490
Hello! I just joined this forum hoping to gather some experienced opinions and recommendations!

I'm in the market for some decent quality cans. My budget is ~150 - 200 dollars.
I mostly listen to rock genres (alternative,rock,metal,hardcore,etc) but I also enjoy some electronic dance music (house, trance, vocal trance, db, dubstep etc.)

These two genres fill the majority of my collection.
I'd say I have a 2:1 ratio when it comes to rock:electronic;
as in for every two rock songs I listen to, I'll listen to one edm song if that makes sense.
So I want some nice quality rock cans that can support a nice heavy bass when Im in the mood for some edm.

I listen to my music from my laptop,iPod, and iPad.
I can also spend ~ 45 - 60 dollars on an amp if it will really provide a better listening experience.

I was looking into the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic headphones. Reviews say they're great for edm, but I'm not sure how'll they'll be for rock genres.
I'm totally inexperienced when it comes to headphones. So any input would be great!

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #16,808 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello! I just joined this forum hoping to gather some experienced opinions and recommendations!
I'm in the market for some decent quality cans. My budget is ~150 - 200 dollars.
I mostly listen to rock genres (alternative,rock,metal,hardcore,etc) but I also enjoy some electronic dance music (house, trance, vocal trance, db, dubstep etc.)
These two genres fill the majority of my collection.
I'd say I have a 2:1 ratio when it comes to rock:electronic;
as in for every two rock songs I listen to, I'll listen to one edm song if that makes sense.
So I want some nice quality rock cans that can support a nice heavy bass when Im in the mood for some edm.
I listen to my music from my laptop,iPod, and iPad.
I can also spend ~ 45 - 60 dollars on an amp if it will really provide a better listening experience.
I was looking into the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic headphones. Reviews say they're great for edm, but I'm not sure how'll they'll be for rock genres.
I'm totally inexperienced when it comes to headphones. So any input would be great!
Thanks!

That's probably a good choice for your situation and does not need an amp.  You can step up from there with the Pro 750 or open HiFi 2400 plus amp

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #16,809 of 29,490
Quote:

You need explain your situation and current equipment and its intended uses before anyone can give you a cogent & helpful response.

I did 
confused_face.gif
 it's only a few posts up. But anyways source would be macbook pro with apple lossless files. My current cans are a pair of Sennheiser HD598s and Shure srh440s. It's intended use would be with my laptop and since I'm a student, it would have to be fairly portable (but that's not ultra important, I mostly listen to my ipod on the go and my computer at home) I don't have any amps yet since none of my headphones really need it. Preferred budget >$200. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #16,810 of 29,490
Quote:
I did 
confused_face.gif
 it's only a few posts up. But anyways source would be macbook pro with apple lossless files. My current cans are a pair of Sennheiser HD598s and Shure srh440s. It's intended use would be with my laptop and since I'm a student, it would have to be fairly portable (but that's not ultra important, I mostly listen to my ipod on the go and my computer at home) I don't have any amps yet since none of my headphones really need it. Preferred budget >$200. 

Didn't catch your music preferences, but you're fairly well set now with the 440 as your portable can.  You can improve its comfort with some 840 ear pads.  If you want to upgrade from the 440, you really don't have enough in your budget for an amp and/or dac plus upgraded cans.  The leaves you to upgrade your 440 to the 840, KRK KNS 8400, Sony MDR 7510 or MDR V900HD. (Note: some have longer than optimal cords for portable (especially on the move) use.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #16,811 of 29,490
Hi all,

I am looking for a heaphone, amp combination to listen to a fairly wide variety of music. Budget ~ 250 $. I am *reasonably* settled on the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm, with perhaps a fiio e11 amp. Ideally I would like to be able to listen from both my PC (Acer 7741, boring intel sound card) and my ipod (160Gb Classic, latest gen) but I will always have my ipod if I have my computer, whereas the reverse is not true - would prefer a better amp for ipod than a worse one for both.

Concerning the headphones, sound isolation is very important - much of my listening will be done in libraries or while travelling (hence amp for ipod not laptop).

If there are any other combinations that fulfill these requirements I would be very interested. Particularly, I considered:
e7 amp - but seems to be a bad amp and a bad dac. Prefer a good amp with no dac for now - maybe get the e10 later if I want PC connectivity
250 ohm version - still not set on this. Seem to be many conflicting reviews. Sounds like it would be better properly amped, but not sure if a e11 would be enough (think it should be) and it also would make listening unamped (from PC) impossible.

A bit about me; 
These will be my first closed circumaural headphones. Currently have klipsch s4.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #16,812 of 29,490
The dac would be mostly for home use, since i mostly just use my ipod on the go. I just wanted something smaller that I can move from room to room.

So better cans would improve sound more than a dac is what you're saying?

Also music preference is mostly classical.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #16,813 of 29,490
Quote:
The dac would be mostly for home use, since i mostly just use my ipod on the go. I just wanted something smaller that I can move from room to room.

So better cans would improve sound more than a dac is what you're saying?

Also music preference is mostly classical.

I understand (and hear from my iPhone 4) that Apple products come with a decent music delivery system.  However, I am old school and listen to all my serious music from CD and vinyl.  Someone like PurpleAngel can give you better advice on this aspect of your situation.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #16,814 of 29,490
Hi, I am about to get my first cans.

Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm. (will be using them for movies too)

But I need a amp and dac for it. Have a budget at about 500$ish i think. Allthough I am thinking of getting the http://www.headphone.com/packages/headroom-micro-amp--micro-dac-package.php,

The headphones will be used to watch movies, play games and listening to music in one room (does not need to be portable).

I need your help, should i go for these or do you know of a better match ?

Thank you for your help.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #16,815 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I am about to get my first cans.

Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm. (will be using them for movies too)

But I need a amp and dac for it. Have a budget at about 500$ish i think. Allthough I am thinking of getting the http://www.headphone.com/packages/headroom-micro-amp--micro-dac-package.php,

The headphones will be used to watch movies, play games and listening to music in one room (does not need to be portable).

I need your help, should i go for these or do you know of a better match ?

Thank you for your help.

What sound signature do you prefer?  The DT 880 was formerly the Beyer flagship, so it immediately comes to mind in your situation.

You can get a good little desktop amp/dac like the HiFiMan EF2A for about $170 shipped. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back