++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #16,667 of 29,490
Quote:

My understanding is that the Pro 2900 is very similar to the Pro 900 with the main difference being that the 2900 is open. I say this because the Pro 900 can typically be found much cheaper since it isn't as new. Used Pro 900s have gone as low as $250. The price of a new one just jumped to $549 on Amazon, but it was recently at $350 for a few weeks.

Also, the HD598 is a good choice. It was my second "nice" pair of headphones and I really enjoyed them. I also used to have a modded pair of HD555s but I never had them at the same time so I can't give a you a direct comparison. They do have similarities and if you liked the modded 555s you'll likely be at least as happy with the 598s.

EDIT: Seems to be a Open box - Like New Pro 2900 for $300 shipped via Blinq on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003PJYBYE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I can get a Pro 2900 for $340 new. It's no big deal about the cost. Any open velour cans you would recommend in that price range?

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #16,669 of 29,490
Quote:

Many folk here like the AKG K 550, but I have not heard them yet.

The Ultrasone Pro 750 are good, but the highs may be too bright for you.

The Shure SRH 940 are also good, but may be a bit bass light for you.

The Denon D5000 are probably out of your price range

DT770 might be a good idea, you could also look into HD25-1, though those are more portable (the Senns have fantastic isolation).

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #16,670 of 29,490
Quote:
New Head-Fi'er here. I'm looking for a good around the ear headphone for indie rock, acoustic rock, classic rock, classic, jazz, blues. I mostly stay away from rap, and electronic. I will be using these at first with my Xonar STX, and then eventually possibly a desktop and/or portable amp.    Build quality is a essential. I'm not a "basshead" but a good bottom end is essential. My budget is <$500 for the phones.

I'm currently considering HiFiMan HE-400's, or possibly DT990's. What else can you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance!

Where will you be listening?  This will influence whether to pursue a closed or open headphone.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #16,671 of 29,490
New Head-Fi'er here. I'm looking for a good around the ear headphone for indie rock, acoustic rock, classic rock, classic, jazz, blues. I mostly stay away from rap, and electronic. I will be using these at first with my Xonar STX, and then eventually possibly a desktop and/or portable amp.    Build quality is a essential. I'm not a "basshead" but a good bottom end is essential. My budget is <$500 for the phones.

I'm currently considering HiFiMan HE-400's, or possibly DT990's. What else can you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance!

HD600

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #16,672 of 29,490
Quote:

I can get a Pro 2900 for $340 new. It's no big deal about the cost. Any open velour cans you would recommend in that price range?

The HD650s will occasionally pop at that price.  I got mine used two years ago for $320 - but for a couple hours on Amazon, the HD650s popped up for $340 brand spankin' new.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #16,673 of 29,490
Quote:

The only other open cans with velour that come to mind are AKG k701, k702, q701 and maybe Senn HD600. Each of those will definitely require an amp though. I say if you're happy with the Pro 2900 get them. If you want a less bassy, slightly mid-centric sound for about $100 cheaper, get the HD598. I'm sure that you will be happy with either. You can also get an external DAC now or in the future to improve the quality even more.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #16,674 of 29,490
Quote:
The only other open cans with velour that come to mind are AKG k701, k702, q701 and maybe Senn HD600. Each of those will definitely require an amp though. I say if you're happy with the Pro 2900 get them. If you want a less bassy, slightly mid-centric sound for about $100 cheaper, get the HD598. I'm sure that you will be happy with either. You can also get an external DAC now or in the future to improve the quality even more.

The HD600/650 will require an amp, but an E9 will drive them.

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #16,675 of 29,490
Is there a headphone like AKG K550 with better bass (bass of the Audio Techinica M50, or pro 7000) available in the market?
I like the AKG K550, it make me wanna sing, while the M50/Pro7000 make me wanna dance.
Full size or portable doesn't matter to me.

Thank you.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #16,679 of 29,490
Hi all, new here and new to the wide world of headphones in general - kinda.

Firstly, I've had a few pairs of phones before but began with in-ear ones.  Currently running some Soundmagic pl21s for those - I'd not really rate them that highly tbh but that's for another board at another time.

I've had a pair of Bose QC15s until recently when they were stolen from my bag and am back to my Sennheiser HD202s that I used before getting the Bose's.  Now I'm looking for something new and have narrowed it down to either, wait for it because you've ALL heard it before, the Audio Technica ATH M50s or the Bayerdynamic DT770/80 Pros.  Wow, who'd have thought I'd be asking THAT question again!

Well anyway, I'd kinda prefer the 770s over the M50s mainly due to comfort, general musical sound, gaming and the forum opinion that they seem a little bit better (if the prices were equal) but, and here's the kicker, I'd like to mod them to make the cable detachable.  Now I've read lots about modding the M50s and it seems easy-ish and there are lots of people who have done it but I've seen conspicuously little regarding modding the 770s.  Is this because there isn't room to do it?  This is probably what will clinch the deal here - though the need for a amp may also push me back to the M50s.

Any help any of you can give will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
M

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #16,680 of 29,490
Hi guys. I need some advice regarding a new pair of headphones. 
They will be used on a Macbook Pro and an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard. 
I mostly listen to popmusic, electronica and dubstep, but calmer music such as jazz is also enjoyed.
Do you guys think the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is for me? Also, they need to be available here in Norway. 
The pricerange is about 300 US dollars, but as you perhaps know, the headphones will likely be more expensive here in Norway than they are in the United States, so you'll have to think about that :p
Are the Audio Technica the best in their pricerange? If it's worth it, I can use a bit more money than what the Audio Technica costs.
I have a pair of Denon AH-D510 now, and I quite like them. However, I would like better sound overall. Especially in the bass region. Better build-quality and comfort is also something I would prefer.

Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back