++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #16,621 of 29,490
Quote:
One final note:  I don't know what a closed design is, and what an open design is.  Would the closed design work best to physically block out/isolate noise?  

I strongly suggest that you read the buying guides (and perhaps more) linked in opening post of this thread.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #16,623 of 29,490
Quote:
@eucariote what's your suggestion for  under 200$ for really good quality bass ?

Denon D2000 are very good all around and have fairly strong bass, you might be able to get those used in your budget.  SRH940 have better mids (the biggest shortcoming of Denons) but less emphasized bass- with bass boost they might suit your taste.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #16,626 of 29,490
I'm looking for an upgrade from superlux 681's. Can sony xb700's do the job? or the Creative Aurvana Live! ? I'm gonna play these from an ipod and a computer (gonna buy an asus soundcard next week).

If these cans can't give me an upgrade, may I know what cans can? And about how much? Thanks! :D

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #16,627 of 29,490
Quote:

Denon D2000 are very good all around and have fairly strong bass, you might be able to get those used in your budget.  SRH940 have better mids (the biggest shortcoming of Denons) but less emphasized bass- with bass boost they might suit your taste.

I agree with everything eucariote has said. The D2000 a a good headphone if you are looking for a quality base over a large amount of base. They are a nice looking pair of cans that are really comfy albet quality control can be a little fluky at times but is nothing out of the range of unacceptability,. The only reason I have decided to sell them is that i prefer the clarity of the dt880s. The D2000 won't blast your head off with bass, but with my fiio e7 they could rattle my earlobes whenever I listened to dubstep :p

On that note: I'm in the market for looking for a new pair of cans. My obvious choice is the DT880s 600 ohm but this wouldn't be any fun if I didn't have a bunch of cans to pick from. I was looking at the AKG Q701 since they are new to me from the last time I bought a pair of cans. Budget is around $200ish. What I look for in headphones is clarity but mostly in vocals since I listen to a lot of female vocalists and orchestras like Two Steps From Hell, Thomas Bergersen, X-ray dog, ect.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #16,628 of 29,490
Jul 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #16,630 of 29,490
Quote:
Again, not answering my original question...

I'm aware of this. I was trying to answer one of your questions.

We need more information. What genres of music do you listen to? When you say you would like to also use these headphones with your PS3, does that mean you are looking for a headset (headphone & microphone)? What kind of headphone connector does the PS3 have? Is it a standard 1/8" headphone jack?

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #16,631 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm aware of this. I was trying to answer one of your questions.

We need more information. What genres of music do you listen to? When you say you would like to also use these headphones with your PS3, does that mean you are looking for a headset (headphone & microphone)? What kind of headphone connector does the PS3 have? Is it a standard 1/8" headphone jack?

Reggae, Rap/Hip-Hop, Rock, Alternative, Pop, Latino, and Classical Music.

Not necessarily looking for a headset, just a good headphone that can deliver and sound really nice on my PS3 and Mac.

And the PS3 doesn't have any headphone connectors, only 2 USB ports on the front, and a Digital Out (Optical) on the back.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #16,632 of 29,490
Quote:

Reggae, Rap/Hip-Hop, Rock, Alternative, Pop, Latino, and Classical Music.

Not necessarily looking for a headset, just a good headphone that can deliver and sound really nice on my PS3 and Mac.

And the PS3 doesn't have any headphone connectors, only 2 USB ports on the front, and a Digital Out (Optical) on the back.

Some flat screen TVs have a headphone jack, if yours does that will be the easiest way to use the headphones with your PS3. Otherwise you will need a converter to convert from optical to analog and possibly a portable headphone amplifier as well, or a USB headphone amplifier if the PS3 supports it. If you don't have a headphone jack on your TV try searching Google for pointers on how best to convert the PS3's audio for headphones or try asking in the video games section:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7775/video-games-discussion

The ATH-M50 is a popular choice and would probably suit your needs fairly well. Other popular choices in that price range would be the Shure SRH840 and KRK KNS8400.

Edit- Another popular way to use headphones with your PS3 is to connect them to your home theater sound system if you have one. If not, another way would be to convert the audio-out jacks on your TV (rca) to 1/8" mini-plug and connect that to a portable headphone amplifier like the Fiio E5.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #16,635 of 29,490
Quote:
I agree with everything eucariote has said. The D2000 a a good headphone if you are looking for a quality base over a large amount of base. They are a nice looking pair of cans that are really comfy albet quality control can be a little fluky at times but is nothing out of the range of unacceptability,. The only reason I have decided to sell them is that i prefer the clarity of the dt880s. The D2000 won't blast your head off with bass, but with my fiio e7 they could rattle my earlobes whenever I listened to dubstep :p

On that note: I'm in the market for looking for a new pair of cans. My obvious choice is the DT880s 600 ohm but this wouldn't be any fun if I didn't have a bunch of cans to pick from. I was looking at the AKG Q701 since they are new to me from the last time I bought a pair of cans. Budget is around $200ish. What I look for in headphones is clarity but mostly in vocals since I listen to a lot of female vocalists and orchestras like Two Steps From Hell, Thomas Bergersen, X-ray dog, ect.

I really enjoyed the detail and clarity on the Shure SRH940s that I used to own. Might as well add those to your list of choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back