++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 8, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #16,127 of 29,490
Quote:

You may like the M50's (which are almost always above $100), but they are not for your dad.

You did not mention to what your dad will be attaching these cans or the format of his music.  Assuming no amp, Sony MDR 7506, KRK KNS-6400,CAL! and Shure SRH 440.

He's going to be be both plugging directly into his computer or into his Zune (with 95% of his music ripped from CD's into either MP3 or WMA).

Thanks for the recommendations!

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #16,128 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi!

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for listening to music in Apple Lossless quality, and whatever quality comes straight from an audio disc being burned into iTunes. I will be listening through these headphones while connected to my iPod Classic, or to my computer (as of now, Macbook Pro, 2008 model). I will be listening to a lot of bluegrass and classical music.

I will also be using these headphones for gaming -- namely Quake and Fortress Forever (if that matters). I will be using an attachable mic for actual voice communication.

Some have suggested the Superlux HD-668 B, but I would like other opinions as well. I suppose my budget is $120-ish or less.

Thank you!

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #16,129 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi!

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for listening to music in Apple Lossless quality, and whatever quality comes straight from an audio disc being burned into iTunes. I will be listening through these headphones while connected to my iPod Classic, or to my computer (as of now, Macbook Pro, 2008 model). I will be listening to a lot of bluegrass and classical music.

I will also be using these headphones for gaming -- namely Quake and Fortress Forever (if that matters). I will be using an attachable mic for actual voice communication.

Some have suggested the Superlux HD-668 B, but I would like other opinions as well. I suppose my budget is $120-ish or less.

Thank you!

The Senn HD 518 is $120-ish.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #16,130 of 29,490
Trying to decide between the DT880 Pro 600ohm and HE400. Looking for soundstage (mainly instrument separation, but the bigger the soundstage the better I suppose) and decent bass response. I prefer a darker sound signature I think, the HE400 sounds almost exactly like what I want (mid highs recessed with a peak in the upper frequencies to bring out a bit of detail and sparkle without making it overbearing), just wondering how the DT880 compares soundstage-wise, or if there are any other better options.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #16,131 of 29,490
Quote:

Used Sennheiser HD558, sold on Amazon.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #16,133 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I have some problems. Im looking to buy some headsets and i have some problems. I own AHD2000 by Denon and i love them. I love the sound and i love that those are closed. Yday ive listened HD650 (second hand) on a moded sound card, i think Essence ST and i was not that impressed by those. The sound was good, the surround was good but it was not great. It was not that much better for my ears and i didnt bought them. What is wrong with my years ? Or what was wrong about those headsets ? 650 was a dissapointment for me because i went there to buy them...but all ive felt was "What". 

So, now in the future what to look for?

Mod my AH-D2000 and keep them for me ?
Search for other closed headsets ? Like HD800? 

So far i own Sennheiser CX 300(IE) , Bose IE2 and Denon Ah-D2000. 

What to look for in the future? or should i stop searching and enjoy my mediocre audio life.

Thank you!

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #16,134 of 29,490
Quote:
Best rock headphone <$350? Grado?

Buy a Magnum from the Sale Threads - Best bet.

Otherwise I'd go and audition a few grados before buying to see if you like the sound signature...

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #16,135 of 29,490
I am moving more seriously from loudspeaker to a headphone based system.  Three kids under 5 make it hard to listen to music on my loudspeaker set up these days.  I have a $800-900 budget and looking for good sound that I can grow to very good sound in the future.  My preference is tonal neutrality and a more laid back sound vs "fun" or bright sound.

My question is for my budget how much should I put into headphones vs amp/dac.  My sources will be my Mac and CD player.  Which of the following set ups would be the best for now while allowing growth.

(A) $700 on headphones like HiFi-Man HE500 and $200 Amp like HiFi-Man EF2 or AudioEngine D1

(B) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 and $600 on Amp/DAC like used Centrace DACMini

(C) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 and $150 DAC like ODAC/HRT Streamer and $450 Amp like Schiit Lyr

(D) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 $450 DAC like Schiit BitFrost and $150 amp like Little Dot

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #16,136 of 29,490
I've got a budget of $150-200. I'm looking for a pair of really comfortable headphones that are... "analytical". I'd like to be able to pick out a melody or line from any instrument when I want to (obviously this depends on the production quality, etc.). A wide stereo field is preferable. I like being able to pick out the different layers of vocals, the strings and guitars, etc.

I listen to a lot of different styles of music, including a lot of radio and commercial pop, progressive rock and metal, ambient and psychedelic. My music can range from very slow to very complex and heavy stuff. I currently wear a pair of AKG K77s, they're alright but they're very uncomfortable to wear. 

Thanks in advance!! :D

Edit: I'm mostly going to use this with my PC, listening to music through Spotify or ~320kbps mp3s.

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #16,137 of 29,490
I am moving more seriously from loudspeaker to a headphone based system.  Three kids under 5 make it hard to listen to music on my loudspeaker set up these days.  I have a $800-900 budget and looking for good sound that I can grow to very good sound in the future.  My preference is tonal neutrality and a more laid back sound vs "fun" or bright sound.

My question is for my budget how much should I put into headphones vs amp/dac.  My sources will be my Mac and CD player.  Which of the following set ups would be the best for now while allowing growth.

(A) $700 on headphones like HiFi-Man HE500 and $200 Amp like HiFi-Man EF2 or AudioEngine D1

(B) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 and $600 on Amp/DAC like used Centrace DACMini

(C) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 and $150 DAC like ODAC/HRT Streamer and $450 Amp like Schiit Lyr

(D) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 $450 DAC like Schiit BitFrost and $150 amp like Little Dot

The ef2a won't drive the he500 i'd buy cd/mac-->Hifi-man EF2A--> Denon AH-D5000
Or cd/mac(--> Fiio E7/17-->3,5-RCA Adapter or with E9)-->TCC TC-716-->Schiit Asgard--> Sennheiser HD600/650
Or Mac-->Schiit Bifrost you'd have to buy the Bifrost with usb--> TCC TC-716--> Schiit Asgard--> hd600/650/ HE400
If your cd has S/pdif /optical= cd--> Schiit Bifrost--> schiit asgard--> hd 600/650/ HE-400
If not--> cd--> TCC TC-716-->Schiit Asgard--> HD600/650/ HE-400

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #16,138 of 29,490
Quote:
The ef2a won't drive the he500 i'd buy cd/mac-->Hifi-man EF2A--> Denon AH-D5000
Or cd/mac(--> Fiio E7/17-->3,5-RCA Adapter or with E9)-->TCC TC-716-->Schiit Asgard--> Sennheiser HD600/650
Or Mac-->Schiit Bifrost you'd have to buy the Bifrost with usb--> TCC TC-716--> Schiit Asgard--> hd600/650/ HE400
If your cd has S/pdif /optical= cd--> Schiit Bifrost--> schiit asgard--> hd 600/650/ HE-400
If not--> cd--> TCC TC-716-->Schiit Asgard--> HD600/650/ HE-400

William,

Thanks for the response.  Am I correct to read your reply to say that you are in the (D) category with the DAC being more important than Amp in starting up a system?  

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #16,140 of 29,490
Quote:

Choose option A.  **By far** the biggest factor in sound quality is the headphone.  HE500 in particular have the best sound for the money imo and are in a different league than the Senns and most any other <$1000 headphone.  Amps cannot fill in what was never there, and (unless totally underpowered) make only very subtle differences in sound no matter what the cost.  Same is true for (non-nos) dacs.  If you have a stereo with a headphone jack, skip the headphone amp altogether if it means getting a better headphone.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back