++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #16,156 of 29,490
Quote:
Complete headphone beginner here, hoping to get some advice on what would suit me. I'm looking for my first pair of headphones, which will be used for approx. 60% music, 30% movies and such, and 10% gaming.
I haven't been able to locate if there is a proper format for this, but I'm looking for something along these lines.
I'm on a budget of about $200, maybe a little more.
I have no sound card or any other fancy equipment, but would be willing to get one as long as it fits into the budget (using on-board of the m4a785td-v evo mobo).
Ear pads must not be leather.
I'm not into boomy bass, but it still needs to be clear and have some sort of presence.
Vocals, however, are extremely important to me.

Asus Xonar DG (or DGX) sound card, better DAC then your motherboard's.
Used (on Amazon) Sennheiser HD558.
Total $110 to $140.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #16,157 of 29,490
Quote:
I am moving more seriously from loudspeaker to a headphone based system.  Three kids under 5 make it hard to listen to music on my loudspeaker set up these days.  I have a $800-900 budget and looking for good sound that I can grow to very good sound in the future.  My preference is tonal neutrality and a more laid back sound vs "fun" or bright sound.

My question is for my budget how much should I put into headphones vs amp/dac.  My sources will be my Mac and CD player.  Which of the following set ups would be the best for now while allowing growth.

(A) $700 on headphones like HiFi-Man HE500 and $200 Amp like HiFi-Man EF2 or AudioEngine D1

(B) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 and $600 on Amp/DAC like used Centrace DACMini

(C) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 and $150 DAC like ODAC/HRT Streamer and $450 Amp like Schiit Lyr

(D) $300 on headphones probably used Sennheiser HD650 $450 DAC like Schiit BitFrost and $150 amp like Little Dot

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Updated selection

(A) HiFi-Man HE500 + Asgard or O2/ODAC
(B) Senn HD650 or Denon D-5000 or HiFi Man HE400 + ODAC or HRT ST + Asgard or similar

I think (A) would give me more room to better the system slowly, but I would love to hear opinions in support of both selection.

Thanks again for your thoughts and recommendations.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #16,158 of 29,490
Quote:
Choose option A.  **By far** the biggest factor in sound quality is the headphone.  HE500 in particular have the best sound for the money imo and are in a different league than the Senns and most any other <$1000 headphone.  Amps cannot fill in what was never there, and (unless totally underpowered) make only very subtle differences in sound no matter what the cost.  Same is true for (non-nos) dacs.  If you have a stereo with a headphone jack, skip the headphone amp altogether if it means getting a better headphone.  

The EF2A cannot adequately power the HE 500.  The Schiit Asgard for less than $100 more can.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #16,159 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have some problems. Im looking to buy some headsets and i have some problems. I own AHD2000 by Denon and i love them. I love the sound and i love that those are closed. Yday ive listened HD650 (second hand) on a moded sound card, i think Essence ST and i was not that impressed by those. The sound was good, the surround was good but it was not great. It was not that much better for my ears and i didnt bought them. What is wrong with my years ? Or what was wrong about those headsets ? 650 was a dissapointment for me because i went there to buy them...but all ive felt was "What". 

So, now in the future what to look for?

Mod my AH-D2000 and keep them for me ?
Search for other closed headsets ? Like HD800? 

So far i own Sennheiser CX 300(IE) , Bose IE2 and Denon Ah-D2000. 

What to look for in the future? or should i stop searching and enjoy my mediocre audio life.

Thank you!

Try your Senn on a vintage receiver or proper headphone amp and see if what you heard from the computer is what they can offer or not.  After that decided on your next step, if any.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #16,160 of 29,490
Quote:
I've got a budget of $150-200. I'm looking for a pair of really comfortable headphones that are... "analytical". I'd like to be able to pick out a melody or line from any instrument when I want to (obviously this depends on the production quality, etc.). A wide stereo field is preferable. I like being able to pick out the different layers of vocals, the strings and guitars, etc.

I listen to a lot of different styles of music, including a lot of radio and commercial pop, progressive rock and metal, ambient and psychedelic. My music can range from very slow to very complex and heavy stuff. I currently wear a pair of AKG K77s, they're alright but they're very uncomfortable to wear. 

Thanks in advance!! :D

Edit: I'm mostly going to use this with my PC, listening to music through Spotify or ~320kbps mp3s.

The Senn HD 558 is the best I can think of within your budget and no amp limitations.

Maybe you would be better picking up the $50-ish Superlux HD668B for now and save up for the $239 AKG Q701 + amp.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #16,161 of 29,490
Quote:
I looked up the impedance of the 701 and it looks like it's 62ohm.
From that number I'm assuming it's quite an easy can to drive? (Amp not exactly 'required') - Speaking of amps, next purchase should be an Asgard. 

If you had ~$300AUD to spend, and you had Pro700mk2 ANV what would you go for?

The Ohm rating does not tell the whole story on efficency.  All the AKG K/Q 70x cans need to be amped.  If you look to the buying guide that is linked in the opening post of this thread, you will see that the Q 701 is rated a "3"--"Denotes amp is required. Using these without an amp will leave much to be desired."  Link:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

I don't know anything about your AT DJ can.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #16,162 of 29,490
Quote:
Updated selection

(A) HiFi-Man HE500 + Asgard or O2/ODAC
(B) Senn HD650 or Denon D-5000 or HiFi Man HE400 + ODAC or HRT ST + Asgard or similar

I think (A) would give me more room to better the system slowly, but I would love to hear opinions in support of both selection.

Thanks again for your thoughts and recommendations.

The HiFiMan HE 500 is in a tier above the excellent HD650 and (even) D7000.  Go with "A" in a walk.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #16,163 of 29,490
Quote:
Sennheiser HD558   vs.   ATH-AD700 ?  :

I have large ears;  ATH-M40's and Koss DJ-100 felt very uncomfortable!

I am not a Bass head. Accurate bass is fine.

VOCALS:  I really need to hear smooth vocals, forward in the mix (Dianna Krall. Lee Ann Womack (country), etc.

Trying to stay around $100 or so.

Which (if either) of these 2?

thx

bob

Sennheiser HD 558 all the way! A step up from the AD700

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #16,164 of 29,490
For PC Games only, which one?

1. Sennheiser HD 439 = $95
2. Creative Aurvana Live = $99.99
3. Samson SR850 + Beyer Dinamic EDT 990V silver velour ear pads = $88
4. Sony MDR-V6 + Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Pad = $100.04

I do not include the AD700, because part of having ugly colors, I read that they break before their first year. I want durability, sound quality and comfort, thanks...

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #16,165 of 29,490
Quote:

I want durability, sound quality and comfort, thanks...

I would go with the SR850, as they are semi-open headphones.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #16,166 of 29,490
Quote:
thinking about getting the k550.but with the no detachable cable might encounter some problems with shorting. If i had it recabled with cardas cable does it gurantee a long life?

What about getting a 3 year square trade warranty and not worry bout recabling them?

Quote:
I looked up the impedance of the 701 and it looks like it's 62ohm.
From that number I'm assuming it's quite an easy can to drive? (Amp not exactly 'required') - Speaking of amps, next purchase should be an Asgard. 

If you had ~$300AUD to spend, and you had Pro700mk2 ANV what would you go for?

I didn't even like them with the Asgard. They're just a weird heapdhone to amp. I had the volume really turned up on the 701 and still found the bass lacking, but worse of all, just strange, sterile mids. From doing lots of reading, sounds like you're better with a tube amp, though I really haven't tried.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #16,168 of 29,490
Quote:

I do not include the AD700, because part of having ugly colors, I read that they break before their first year. I want durability, sound quality and comfort, thanks...

Well I can vouch for HD439 (I have the HD438). Not only does it sound great out of the box, but when EQ'ed its in fact more enjoyable to listen than some much more expensive headphones. Extremely balanced sound, great opened sound, they actually sound more airy and opened than many opened headphones, great detail, particularly sparkly highs. And it is by far the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot of them. Basically, there are comfortable headphones, then there's a big gap, and there's the HD4x9 or HD4x8 series. They make the HD558's or HD650's feel like torture devices. They're just so perfectly sculpted, not too big, not to small, with plenty of room for big ears, with virtually no clamping force, and they feel as light as wearing a hat. Truly the only headphones you forget you have on your head. People often say that, and don't really mean it. I REALLY mean it.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #16,169 of 29,490
Quote:

Used Sennheiser HD558 on Amazon for around $100.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #16,170 of 29,490
Quote:
Basically, there are comfortable headphones, then there's a big gap, and there's the HD4x9 or HD4x8 series. They make the HD558's or HD650's feel like torture devices.

I'll assume this is a gross over exaggeration meant to emphasize a point because nothing could make my 600s feel like a torture device. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and I can wear them for 12+ hours straight and not feel even the slightest discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back