++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #16,172 of 29,490
Thanks for your comment, you say that the 439 HD brings the 2 things I look, good sound and comfort, and reduced the choice between this and the Samson SR850.
Quote:

Well I can vouch for HD439 (I have the HD438). Not only does it sound great out of the box, but when EQ'ed its in fact more enjoyable to listen than some much more expensive headphones. Extremely balanced sound, great opened sound, they actually sound more airy and opened than many opened headphones, great detail, particularly sparkly highs. And it is by far the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot of them. Basically, there are comfortable headphones, then there's a big gap, and there's the HD4x9 or HD4x8 series. They make the HD558's or HD650's feel like torture devices. They're just so perfectly sculpted, not too big, not to small, with plenty of room for big ears, with virtually no clamping force, and they feel as light as wearing a hat. Truly the only headphones you forget you have on your head. People often say that, and don't really mean it. I REALLY mean it.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #16,174 of 29,490
How do the Sennheiser 598s sound compared to Q701s (without a nice desktop amp) ?

I can't really afford the money for a good desktop amp, I might later, but for the next year I probably won't shell out the money for say a Little Dot MKiii. 
I do have a Fiio E10 for amplification. I haven't heard the sound of either, but after hearing how dark the Hifiman HE-300s sounded, I want something a bit brighter with forward mids and highs, a really wide soundstage, but nothing too thin sounding. 

The budget is under 300$, and that includes an amp if they need one immediately. I started to reconsider buying the Q701s because I read that some people thought they sounded a bit artificial, uncomfortable, and boring, not entertaining to listen to over a long period of time for enjoyment, not studio work. That isn't to say I don't want something detailed, I just don't want it to sound boring really.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #16,175 of 29,490
Quote:
For PC Games only, which one?

1. Sennheiser HD 439 = $95
2. Creative Aurvana Live = $99.99
3. Samson SR850 + Beyer Dinamic EDT 990V silver velour ear pads = $88
4. Sony MDR-V6 + Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Pad = $100.04

I do not include the AD700, because part of having ugly colors, I read that they break before their first year. I want durability, sound quality and comfort, thanks...

Creative Aurvana Live are pretty good for gaming - see the gaming headphones thread as well - might get some other opinions there.

Samson are also good if you're ready to mod them...

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #16,176 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys. I'm new to headphones and I think it's time that I get a decent pair. My budget is $100-$150, and I am looking for clarity all around, and while I don't want a bass that will blow my head off, I really don't want an understated bass. I have found the following:

-Monster NCredible NTune headphones ($150)

-Sony MDR-V55 ($100)

-Audio Technica ATH-WS55 ($100)

-Sennheiser HD 229 ($80)

-MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 ($100)

-Fanny Wang 1000 Series ($170) <- a little bit out of my price range, but if it's a lot better than any of the above, I am willing to foot the price.

So, for my requirements, which would be the best and do you guys have any more recommendations?

ATH-M50 would be best if you really want bass - I dunno where you are, but see if you can go and audition them at a store near you...

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #16,177 of 29,490
Quote:
How do the Sennheiser 598s sound compared to Q701s (without a nice desktop amp) ?

I can't really afford the money for a good desktop amp, I might later, but for the next year I probably won't shell out the money for say a Little Dot MKiii. 
I do have a Fiio E10 for amplification. I haven't heard the sound of either, but after hearing how dark the Hifiman HE-300s sounded, I want something a bit brighter with forward mids and highs, a really wide soundstage, but nothing too thin sounding. 

The budget is under 300$, and that includes an amp if they need one immediately. I started to reconsider buying the Q701s because I read that some people thought they sounded a bit artificial, uncomfortable, and boring, not entertaining to listen to over a long period of time for enjoyment, not studio work. That isn't to say I don't want something detailed, I just don't want it to sound boring really.

Sounds like you'd love the HD598!

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #16,178 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Just one question: I'm pretty set about getting the HD600s, but I want a second opinion. I mainly listen to indie rock (The National, Arcade Fire, The Shins, and the like) with a bit of jazz and hip-hop. I like prominent mids, a large soundstage, and PRaT. I'm also generally looking for an open headphone, but I wouldn't mind a closed one if the soundstage is good and everything else is better than a open headphone. I'm looking to spend ~$250-300 and wasn't sure about what to buy. I've been down to:

Sennheiser HD600
AKG K550
Grado SR-225/325 or Alessando MS2
Hifiman HE-400

I'll be running them out of my Leckerton UHA-4 for now, but a Schiit Asgard is probably in the near future. I don't see myself upgrading amps beyond the Asgard or upgrading headphones in the near future (~5 years). I'm mainly worried about the sharp treble of the SR-325 and the drivability of the HE-400. The K550 seem to be a bit of a FOTM. The Sennheiser HD600 seems to be a step above everything else and I can get a decent price on the "For Sale" forums. Keep in mind that the music I listen to is relatively mellow (not like metal or anything) and I don't have an amp for a time being and would love to have some scalability.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #16,179 of 29,490
Quote:

As you have the Fiio E10 for a USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, it might be safer to get the Sennheiser HD598.
Or to save a few dollars, get the Sennheiser HD558, remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558 to improve the sound.
The HD558 & HD598 use the same drive, but the HD598 sounds better, but does not use the black rubber tape in the cups like the HD558.... kind of makes you wonder why?
Ther HD558 and HD598 use different grills, so removing the black rubber tape will not make the HD558 match the audio of the HD598.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #16,180 of 29,490
Quote:
As you have the Fiio E10 for a USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, it might be safer to get the Sennheiser HD598.
Or to save a few dollars, get the Sennheiser HD558, remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558 to improve the sound.
The HD558 & HD598 use the same drive, but the HD598 sounds better, but does not use the black rubber tape in the cups like the HD558.... kind of makes you wonder why?
Ther HD558 and HD598 use different grills, so removing the black rubber tape will not make the HD558 match the audio of the HD598.

How would the Q701s compare when properly amped with a nice desktop amp? I'm really just afraid of the Sennys sounding dark, which I did not like with my Hifimans. I'm more a fan of bright cans.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #16,181 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just one question: I'm pretty set about getting the HD600s, but I want a second opinion. I mainly listen to indie rock (The National, Arcade Fire, The Shins, and the like) with a bit of jazz and hip-hop. I like prominent mids, a large soundstage, and PRaT. I'm looking to spend ~$250 and wasn't sure about what to buy. I've been down to:

Sennheiser HD600
AKG K550
Hifiman HE-400

I'll be running them out of my Leckerton UHA-4 for now, but a Schiit Asgard is probably in the near future. I don't see myself upgrading amps beyond the Asgard or upgrading headphones in the near future (~5 years). I'm mainly worried about the sharp treble of the SR-325 and the drivability of the HE-400. The Sennheiser HD600 seems to be a step above everything else and I can get a decent price on the "For Sale" forums. Keep in mind that the music I listen to is relatively mellow (not like metal or anything) and I don't have an amp for a time being and would love to have some scalability.

Thanks!

Your sound stage need culls it down to the HD 600 and HE 400.  I have the former and the HE 500.  I don't think that you would be going wrong with either one--provided your current equipment can drive them appropriately.

The Asgard will certainly work in either case.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #16,182 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just one question: I'm pretty set about getting the HD600s, but I want a second opinion. I mainly listen to indie rock (The National, Arcade Fire, The Shins, and the like) with a bit of jazz and hip-hop. I like prominent mids, a large soundstage, and PRaT. I'm also generally looking for an open headphone, but I wouldn't mind a closed one if the soundstage is good and everything else is better than a open headphone. I'm looking to spend ~$250-300 and wasn't sure about what to buy. I've been down to:

Sennheiser HD600
AKG K550
Hifiman HE-400

Large soundstage don't come with the Alessandro's until the Pro, and even then you'd want to perform the Ms-Pro Ultimate mod (using Spacers to use the GS1000 headpads).

I'd be leaning towards the HD600, but that's because I haven't heard the HE-400...

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #16,183 of 29,490
Quote:

Your sound stage need culls it down to the HD 600 and HE 400.  I have the former and the HE 500.  I don't think that you would be going wrong with either one--provided your current equipment can drive them appropriately.

The Asgard will certainly work in either case.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. The HD600 is quite a bit cheaper than the HE-400, so I think I'll stick with that unless there's a HUGE difference in sound (which I doubt given diminishing returns). I'm curious as to the signature Grado sound, but it's probably not a great idea to start with a high-end one.

Thanks again!

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #16,184 of 29,490
Quote:

Well I can vouch for HD439 (I have the HD438). Not only does it sound great out of the box, but when EQ'ed its in fact more enjoyable to listen than some much more expensive headphones. Extremely balanced sound, great opened sound, they actually sound more airy and opened than many opened headphones, great detail, particularly sparkly highs. And it is by far the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot of them. Basically, there are comfortable headphones, then there's a big gap, and there's the HD4x9 or HD4x8 series. They make the HD558's or HD650's feel like torture devices. They're just so perfectly sculpted, not too big, not to small, with plenty of room for big ears, with virtually no clamping force, and they feel as light as wearing a hat. Truly the only headphones you forget you have on your head. People often say that, and don't really mean it. I REALLY mean it.

So, are you saying the cheaper 4xx series sounds better, and is more comfy than the 558's I'm looking at getting? I do have large ears so that's important.

bob

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #16,185 of 29,490
Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. The HD600 is quite a bit cheaper than the HE-400, so I think I'll stick with that unless there's a HUGE difference in sound (which I doubt given diminishing returns). I'm curious as to the signature Grado sound, but it's probably not a great idea to start with a high-end one.

Thanks again!

Agreed. From what I've read, there's not a big difference between the different SR/MS series models. I'd get the $100 Alessandro MS1 and if you particularly love them then possibly look into the higher end models down the road.

But for your genres and needs I would choose the HD600 or HE400 over any Grados, mostly because of the Grado's lack of a wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back