++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #16,006 of 29,490
Quote:
I know there have been 1000 threads with this comparison but im looking to make a decision with regards to the type of music i listen to with some of your help hopefully 
redface.gif
. Ok so looking to decide between the Sennheiser HD800 or the Beyerdynamic T1. Cost is irrelevant.

I listen to a lot of modern music which probably doesnt have the best mastering. A few of the artists i listen to include:

Ashanti  (Rnb)
Bow Wow (Rap/Rnb)
Cassie (RnB)
Chris Brown (RnB/Dance)
David Guetta (Dance/Electronic)
Drake (Hip Hop)
Skrillex (Dubstep)
Lady Gaga (Pop)
London Elektricity (Drum n' Bass)
Mariah Carey (RnB)
Nicki Minaj (RnB/Hip Hop)
Nicole Scherzinger (Pop)
Pendulum (Drum n' bass)
Rihanna (Pop)
Serge Devant (House)

This is just a small sample of the artists i listen to. As you can see, i pretty much listen to all kinds of genres. Moslty modern music if that matters. Now onto the headphone comparison.

The HD800 has awesome detail resolution, soundstage, and clarity. Those are huge pluses for me. However i hear that it can be too analytical and not very 'musical'. I suppose those are negatives for my kind of music.

As for the T1, it's more of a jack of all trades. It does well with all genres and is more musical than the HD800. Advantage T1. But i hear that it's not as good as the HD800 in soundstage or detail retrieval. Kind of off putting. 

So what does Head-Fi think is the better choice for me? Im still a noob to hi-fi audio. Only recently got into the game but im looking forward choking the life out of my wallet in return for quality sound 
wink_face.gif

I'll be looking to pair whichever headphone with a nice amp like one of the Woo ones, and maybe the Schiit Biforst or similar dac.

Thoughts would be very welcome 
biggrin.gif

Might want to this to the summit-fi section of the forum.

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #16,007 of 29,490
Quote:
I know there have been 1000 threads with this comparison but im looking to make a decision with regards to the type of music i listen to with some of your help hopefully 
redface.gif
. Ok so looking to decide between the Sennheiser HD800 or the Beyerdynamic T1. Cost is irrelevant.

I listen to a lot of modern music which probably doesnt have the best mastering. A few of the artists i listen to include:

Ashanti  (Rnb)
Bow Wow (Rap/Rnb)
Cassie (RnB)
Chris Brown (RnB/Dance)
Drake (Hip Hop)
Skrillex (Dubstep)
Lady Gaga (Pop)
Mariah Carey (RnB)
Nicole Scherzinger (Pop)
Pendulum (Drum n' bass)
Rihanna (Pop)
Serge Devant (House)

This is just a small sample of the artists i listen to. As you can see, i pretty much listen to all kinds of genres. Moslty modern music if that matters. Now onto the headphone comparison.

The HD800 has awesome detail resolution, soundstage, and clarity. Those are huge pluses for me. However i hear that it can be too analytical and not very 'musical'. I suppose those are negatives for my kind of music.

As for the T1, it's more of a jack of all trades. It does well with all genres and is more musical than the HD800. Advantage T1. But i hear that it's not as good as the HD800 in soundstage or detail retrieval. Kind of off putting. 

So what does Head-Fi think is the better choice for me? Im still a noob to hi-fi audio. Only recently got into the game but im looking forward choking the life out of my wallet in return for quality sound 
wink_face.gif

I'll be looking to pair whichever headphone with a nice amp like one of the Woo ones, and maybe the Schiit Biforst or similar dac.

biggrin.gif

Both are overkill for those genres. :p

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #16,010 of 29,490
Hi all. I'm new here. I'm looking for a ~20$ headphones full-size. I will be using it ONLY on the PC to watch movies. So they have to be VERY comfortable (2+ hours continuos use). Nothing else nothing more. 

What headphone do you recommend for me? I was looking at the Sennheiser HD201 but I've read here that they are not really comfortable. 

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #16,012 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeat100

Thank you, they seem to be some excellent headphones.

Last question: Do you really hear a difference between a Sennheiser HD439 and the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic, when listening to mp3 files (either 192 or 320 kbit/s) from an IPod? Or is the difference in sound quality mainly remarkable in studios or while listening to vinyls or .flac files?

Thanks a lot.

The difference between any two headphones is based on their sound signatures and characteristics. Unless two headphones have extremely similar sound signatures you will notice the difference between them regardless of the source.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #16,013 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry, yea I mean classical music.
Right now I'm plying fro my cell phone galaxy s1 or a sansa.
I'm looking for agood player to, and an amp if will be needed.
Flac and 320 mp3.
I'm travailing alot so ANC will be a must.
Budget. 400$ +-
Dosent matter ill find what I need
Thx

The only ANC headphones I have heard mentioned that would be worth trying would be the PSB M4U 2 (which also have a built-in amp, so you shouldn't need to buy one for it - this may make them heavier than desired). It may be worth looking into in ear headphones or headphones that have good noise isolation.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #16,016 of 29,490
Quote:
 So which would be better for rap/hip hop? Sony XB700's or Ultrasone HFI-580's? Using for my macbook and iphone occasionally.

Probably XB700 since its made for those genres.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #16,017 of 29,490
The XB700 would be a good choice for rap/hip-hop because they have some pretty serious bass on them, like the rest of the XB line.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #16,018 of 29,490

Budget: Max $300
Usage: 85% music, 15% movies&tv
Music format: 20% MP3 V0, 80% FLAC
Source: Audio-FD NFB 12
Music type: Techno, dubstep, classic rock, alt rock
Headphone/sound preferences: I currently have a pair of shure SRH-840 and love them. I am ready to a a second pair of headphones to go along with the shures. What I am looking for is something that is different then the 840 probably with more bass. The next equipment upgrade I plan to make is buying a little dot I+ or MK III so I would like something that will pair well with little dot amps.  
Currently considering: beyerdynamic dt770, beyerdynamic dt990 beyerdynamic dt880, Sennheiser HD598, Sennheiser HD650 (used)

What would you suggest?

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #16,019 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you, they seem to be some excellent headphones.

Last question: Do you really hear a difference between a Sennheiser HD439 and the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic, when listening to mp3 files (either 192 or 320 kbit/s) from an IPod? Or is the difference in sound quality mainly remarkable in studios or while listening to vinyls or .flac files?

Thanks a lot.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

You will hear a difference between those two cans because they have significantly different sound signatures.

In addition, the difference between CD/Vinyl of a good recording is signficant vs. MP3.  You will be able to hear it with the 780 and probably the Senn (which I have not placed over my ears).

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #16,020 of 29,490
Quote:
redface.gif

Ashanti  (Rnb)
Bow Wow (Rap/Rnb)
Cassie (RnB)
Chris Brown (RnB/Dance)
Drake (Hip Hop)
Skrillex (Dubstep)
Lady Gaga (Pop)
Mariah Carey (RnB)
Nicole Scherzinger (Pop)
Pendulum (Drum n' bass)
Rihanna (Pop)
Serge Devant (House)

wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

These are $1,000 + cans, so you should be posting this in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back