++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #15,811 of 29,490
Quote:
id recommend the audio technica ath m50 white.good looks,sound and isolation for $160.everything 200 and up prolly needs an amp

Is there anything else, I already had it since two months ago. This is intended as an upgrade from that experience. But thank you for your reply

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #15,812 of 29,490
Quote:
 I have a sweet question bothering me lately and wanted to get opinion about
Budget: I don't have a problem until 200$ mark, if i need to go slightly upper it's still fine. Absolute maximum could be 250$ mark.
Style: I really like Rock music during day, and smooth jazz depending on the mood mixed with House and Chill out. I like listening Massive Attack, Norah Jones, Jamie Cullum, some other chill-out types.
Purpose: I will need a headset 70% gaming and 30% music only. I have good TV and system to watch my Bluray movies. I play Diablo, BF3 and WoW at the moment, but will revisit Mass Effect lately. Current: I had only Sennheier in-ear phones as my best gear so far. Unfortunately totally newbie on this area. I have Fatal1ty trash for gaming. Both doesnt satisfy me at all.
Usage: I will use the headphone mainly for gaming and listening music from my PC. Occasionally with my portable MP3 player. I have only onboard sound at the moment, but Xonar DGX is on the way. Where: I live in Czech rep, but i can access different shops around Europe. Still here prices are very good.
My main question: After some research is that Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm will perfectly fit to my needs. It's still in my budget range (here it is around 170-180$. However, I saw lately Creative Aurvana Live! (50$ here) recommendations and feels like it's very good deal here having only 50$ to receive a good jump on SQ. So my question is what would you do under this situation? I can really order Beyerdynamic, but i am questioning if it's worth the price difference that much for newbie as i am?

The CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) do have a nice sound, but the cups are on the same side, barely fit around my ears and the diaphragms seem to sit about 1mm from my ear.
So for me I can't really wear them for more then a short period of time.

Thomann, in Europe, sells the AKG K550 for $198 (US) + plus shipping.
They also sell the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #15,813 of 29,490
Quote:
The CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) do have a nice sound, but the cups are on the same side, barely fit around my ears and the diaphragms seem to sit about 1mm from my ear.
So for me I can't really wear them for more then a short period of time.

Thomann, in Europe, sells the AKG K550 for $198 (US) + plus shipping.
They also sell the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.

Yes that's what i am afraid off 
frown.gif
 I cant use smaller pads, I immediately feel uncomfortable. It becomes pain than fun in that case. However, i know that DT770 will be very very comfortable vs. CALs. On the other hand, there is a lot of love on CALs here :)

I am reading different opinions about DT770 that some says you can listen rock, some says not. A little confused here 
confused.gif
 Given i'll drive them mainly from my PC playing games and easy listening the other times, i think Beyer should be ok for that. What do you think?

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #15,814 of 29,490
I've come here for help. I've had my KRK 8400s for 23 days but naturally don't love them like I thought I would. Actually it's not even naturally like. I have 30 days return policy but would like to decide on the next step before the last second if that is possible.

Here's the thing. When I put them on, they sound ok, for a little while, then something weird happens, like something is missing from all sounds I hear through them. The only way I can describe it is trying to remember the fine details of a non lifelike dream. It's most apparant in the bass section, I can sense it there, but not enough for it to fully register as fully clear. It feels hidden. Other sections, they sound present but "unformed" as well. The soundstage feels not thin, but at the same time, the sound feels like it's coming from a "wrong" angle, so it feels like I need to move the ear pads all over the place to compensate yet nothing works. What the heck would you call this? Is this even normal? These are my first pair of headphones, as in ever, not just nice ones, I never used earbuds or cheap headphones for fear of learning a bad sound signature as correct. I rarely experience this with speakers, actually sounds alwyas sound "formed". Would an open headphone solve this? How much sound do they really leak?

Not sure wether to bite the bullet and start over with something else. I want to try headphones in genereal though since now when I listen to my AV 40s, they sound bloated, undetailed, bass heavy, veiled... they sound really bad. Of couse I never get fatigue or the weird angle problem though. I find the 8400s to be UNmusical the longer I listen to them. I also find that it makes music fatiguing quicker. I'm not sure if it's just the KRK being unmusical or it's resolving the crap out of the loudness wars music I listen to, making it sound even worse (I am extremely sensitive dynamics and soundstage - I feel like I naturally pick up and focus on these two elements - and all loudness war victims are known for having weak low end, boxy soundstage, little dynamics and transient clarity - could the KRKs just be further revealing how bad everything is and that's why they sound fatiguing faster?)

I listen to mostly dance music and electronic and everywhere they meet. Sometimes pop music is with "balanced" electronic influences like Lights or Breathe Carolina, but also more poppy, like Britney Spears or Kesha. I like mainly female vocalists but occasionally like male ones (I love Example, the british rapper). I also go beyond mainstream also listen to Ellen Allien, Autechre, and love 90s label releases in general from Rephlex, Warp, and Planet Mu. I like bass heavy music but am not a fan of hip hop or rap that music. I really like electronic music that is adventourous and blends multiple styles. I don't listen to much guitar music or rock, but I would like if I knew where to look. I like guitar sound Sleight Bells - Road To Hell and "You Lost Me". I also love whatever this is like crazy I like Sleigh Bells though. I also like whatever the hell these background guitars are doing when they go into the high notes.

Willing to spend up to $150, only have the Creative X-Fi Go Pro amp. Will buy online, would hope to see them JR (where my KRK 8400s are from).

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #15,815 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes that's what i am afraid off 
frown.gif
 I cant use smaller pads, I immediately feel uncomfortable. It becomes pain than fun in that case. However, i know that DT770 will be very very comfortable vs. CALs. On the other hand, there is a lot of love on CALs here :)
I am reading different opinions about DT770 that some says you can listen rock, some says not. A little confused here 
confused.gif
 Given I'll drive them mainly from my PC playing games and easy listening the other times, i think Beyer should be ok for that. What do you think?

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm need to have decent amplification to sound right.
I'm assuming some drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm straight from on-board sound, understandable why they were unhappy with the DT770s.
The Asus Xonar DGX can half-way decently drive 250-Ohm headphones, so 80-Ohm should be easy for the DGX.
A single single tube headphone amplifier might even improve the DT770 over the DGX.
On eBay they sell the single tube amps from $50- $120.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #15,817 of 29,490
Hey guys. First post here :) Been lurking for a while tho, HF helped me alot while choosing IEMs, so here I am now ready to get some full-size headphones.

Budget: around 200$-250$, pretty tight atm. The cheaper - the better. Also, here where i live everything is quite overpriced, so I'm using ebay prices here, but it will actually cost me at least 50$ more.

What for: listening music mostly, I actually play games alot too, but not FPS, so the sound doesn't matter much. Actually I listen to alot of genres, but most of the time its metal or rock, then comes electonic music, like DnB or dubstep. I'm not a bass addict tho, and would prefer to get a good sound when listening to dem epic guitar solos then to get super-punchy bass for stuff like dubstep.

The gear: I'm using a laptop now and I really dont like the onboard. Its really out of question to use it with any decent headphone (my IEMs sound completely garbage compared to a rockboxed clip+). So, I figure I need a USB dac/amp. Don't really like spending half the budget on it, but I guess thats how things work in the audiophile world :O

So, I've read up some stuff and considered some options. First was getting ATH-AD700 + e-mu 0204. This is kinda above my budget, but I can get it at a local store (anything other I must order). But I feel that would be overkill, and people moan all the time about problems with the 0204 (thought not about its sound). But the AD700 seem to be one of the more popular "starter" phones. May be I should get them.
My second option was Grado SR80i + FiiO E7. Would it work fine? FiiO's are kinda easy to get - still need to order, but not from the other side of the world. So I'm really looking into them for a DAC+amp option, but I wonder how good they really are. I guess they should be well over what I need tho, I'm just getting my first decent headphones anyway. I'm prolly gonna upgrade the next year anyway if I really get into this sound thingie :D
Also, what about FA-003? Also E11 vs E7 vs E10? I don't seem to get what the differece is aside from the price (portability is a non-issue). Or may be should I NOT look at them?

So what else would you recommend for a tight budget? Please, nothing too exotic or hard-to-get or used (from the trade section, for example). Cant really order overseas right now, but can get most of the well-known stuff.
Thanks in advance!

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #15,818 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. First post here :) Been lurking for a while tho, HF helped me alot while choosing IEMs, so here I am now ready to get some full-size headphones.

Budget: around 200$-250$, pretty tight atm. The cheaper - the better. Also, here where i live everything is quite overpriced, so I'm using ebay prices here, but it will actually cost me at least 50$ more.

What for: listening music mostly, I actually play games alot too, but not FPS, so the sound doesn't matter much. Actually I listen to alot of genres, but most of the time its metal or rock, then comes electonic music, like DnB or dubstep. I'm not a bass addict tho, and would prefer to get a good sound when listening to dem epic guitar solos then to get super-punchy bass for stuff like dubstep.

The gear: I'm using a laptop now and I really dont like the onboard. Its really out of question to use it with any decent headphone (my IEMs sound completely garbage compared to a rockboxed clip+). So, I figure I need a USB dac/amp. Don't really like spending half the budget on it, but I guess thats how things work in the audiophile world :O

So, I've read up some stuff and considered some options. First was getting ATH-AD700 + e-mu 0204. This is kinda above my budget, but I can get it at a local store (anything other I must order). But I feel that would be overkill, and people moan all the time about problems with the 0204 (thought not about its sound). But the AD700 seem to be one of the more popular "starter" phones. May be I should get them.
My second option was Grado SR80i + FiiO E7. Would it work fine? FiiO's are kinda easy to get - still need to order, but not from the other side of the world. So I'm really looking into them for a DAC+amp option, but I wonder how good they really are. I guess they should be well over what I need tho, I'm just getting my first decent headphones anyway. I'm prolly gonna upgrade the next year anyway if I really get into this sound thingie :D
Also, what about FA-003? Also E11 vs E7 vs E10? I don't seem to get what the differece is aside from the price (portability is a non-issue). Or may be should I NOT look at them?

So what else would you recommend for a tight budget? Please, nothing too exotic or hard-to-get or used (from the trade section, for example). Cant really order overseas right now, but can get most of the well-known stuff.
Thanks in advance!

Fischer Audio FA-003 is nice, but buy the low cost clone, the Brainwavz HM5
The E7 & E10 are USB-DAC-Headphone amps. The E11 is just an amp and plugs straight into the laptops headphone/line-out jack.
With the E7 & E10 connecting with USB, it's only stereo 2-channel sound.
With the E11, you can still fully use the laptops built-in sound, if that even counts for much.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #15,819 of 29,490
Well now that my TMA-1s are gone and everything else broken, I'm down to only the Apple buds *shudders* so I'm in desperate need for another pair of cans. For the current budget now, I've come down to these two choices: the ATH-M50 and SRH840. I listen to a huge variety of music, so which of these two are the more versatile? 

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #15,820 of 29,490
Quote:
Well now that my TMA-1s are gone and everything else broken, I'm down to only the Apple buds *shudders* so I'm in desperate need for another pair of cans. For the current budget now, I've come down to these two choices: the ATH-M50 and SRH840. I listen to a huge variety of music, so which of these two are the more versatile? 

Clearly the more balanced Shure wins.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #15,822 of 29,490
Hello!

I've been lurking for quite sometime now and I feel it may be time to ask for some assistance. Currently i have the Grado SR60's. They are great headphones but i need something that wont leak so much sound at work. An upgrade from the SR60's is what i'm looking for. I will also be purchasing a Fiio E10.

Budget: $200 - $250

Music Preference: Rock and all of its sub-genres with some Electronic artists as well. Top artists would be John Frusciante (solo material), Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (the mars volta), The Beatles, Flying Lotus.

Gear: Since these will be used primarily at work I will be using my computer with a Fiio E10. When not at work, i will probably use them straight out of my iphone.  

I've been eyeing the Shure SRH840, AKG K240 MKII and Audio Technica ATH-M50. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #15,823 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello!

I've been lurking for quite sometime now and I feel it may be time to ask for some assistance. Currently i have the Grado SR60's. They are great headphones but i need something that wont leak so much sound at work. An upgrade from the SR60's is what i'm looking for. I will also be purchasing a Fiio E10.

Budget: $200 - $250

Music Preference: Rock and all of its sub-genres with some Electronic artists as well. Top artists would be John Frusciante (solo material), Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (the mars volta), The Beatles, Flying Lotus.

Gear: Since these will be used primarily at work I will be using my computer with a Fiio E10. When not at work, i will probably use them straight out of my iphone.  

I've been eyeing the Shure SRH840, AKG K240 MKII and Audio Technica ATH-M50. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Denon D2000 (while you can still get them), Sony MDR-V900HD and KRK KNS 8400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back