++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #15,796 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, here is my first line in this forum.

Looking to upgrade my worn Sennheiser HD215. They neither play as they used to, nor are they good enough. I think i managed to catch the perfection bug thanks to a friend of mine :D But anyway, here is what i'm looking for in general terms:

1) Full-sized closed headphones
2) I mostly listen to Rock/Metal, some Blues. No overly bassy eadphones.
3) I want to keep expenses under $200. Its an upgrade, not a full blown revolution.
4) The source for the music will be my laptop, and, if possible, i want to avoid any additional gear, such as amps.

At the moment, a lot of the boxes are ticked by Fischer Audio FA-003. but I am open to additional suggestions.

I personally really didn't like the FA-003. It was bass anemic, thought it had lots of detail and good mids. How long do you need to wear them for? How much isolation do you need? 

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #15,797 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, here is my first line in this forum.

Looking to upgrade my worn Sennheiser HD215. They neither play as they used to, nor are they good enough. I think i managed to catch the perfection bug thanks to a friend of mine :D But anyway, here is what i'm looking for in general terms:

1) Full-sized closed headphones
2) I mostly listen to Rock/Metal, some Blues. No overly bassy eadphones.
3) I want to keep expenses under $200. Its an upgrade, not a full blown revolution.
4) The source for the music will be my laptop, and, if possible, i want to avoid any additional gear, such as amps.

At the moment, a lot of the boxes are ticked by Fischer Audio FA-003. but I am open to additional suggestions.

Have not heard the HD 215, but within your budget take a look at the KRK KNS 8400, Sony MDR 7510 & MDR-V900HD and Shure SRH 840.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #15,798 of 29,490
Well they will be used in-doors only so i guess isolation tradeoffs are not a big deal. As for how much i will wear them...No less than 4h a day. I rarely have by laptop on without music banging away.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #15,799 of 29,490
Looking to buy a new headphone, upgrading from Sen PX 100.

Preferences are
-Dedicated (full size, not portable)
-No heavy bass
-Good mid range
-Good soundstage
-Should be able to used unamped for now
-Over ear and comfortable

-Budget of $200

I had shortlisted few, listing them here with the best price I could get. (I have converted them to USD, but it reflects how much it costs where I live, not on Amazon or any other US store)
Sen HD555 @ $125 (not 100% sure abt stock, need to check with seller, rarely avaiable at 1-2 stores now)
Sen HD558 @ $145
Sen HD595 @ $173
Sen HD598 @ $210
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 @ $100
Audio Technica ATH-A900 @ $200

Please advise which is best. No doubt HD598 would be better among them but considering price and SQ difference.

Also add your recommendation if you have any. I am totally on on audiophile's advise, it's hard to get audition personally. Stores does not have open piece for demo/audition here. They don't have even lots of models, so I shop online.

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #15,800 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to buy a new headphone, upgrading from Sen PX 100.

Preferences are
-Dedicated (full size, not portable)
-No heavy bass
-Good mid range
-Good soundstage
-Should be able to used unamped for now
-Over ear and comfortable

-Budget of $200

I had shortlisted few, listing them here with the best price I could get. (I have converted them to USD, but it reflects how much it costs where I live, not on Amazon or any other US store)
Sen HD555 @ $125 (not 100% sure abt stock, need to check with seller, rarely avaiable at 1-2 stores now)
Sen HD558 @ $145
Sen HD595 @ $173
Sen HD598 @ $210
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 @ $100
Audio Technica ATH-A900 @ $200

Please advise which is best. No doubt HD598 would be better among them but considering price and SQ difference.

Also add your recommendation if you have any. I am totally on on audiophile's advise, it's hard to get audition personally. Stores does not have open piece for demo/audition here. They don't have even lots of models, so I shop online.

Thanks!

I have the HD 558 & 598 and the AT A900.  Both these Senns are better than the A900, which I hear as OK but soulless.  With the price spread you have posted, I'd go with the HD 598.  If the budget is a little tight, there is nothing wrong with the 558 @ $143.   The older Senn 5x5's aren't as good as the newer models and have suffered from some cracking problems.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #15,802 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $350 for work. I will be using them exclusively to listen to indie rock type music and prefer to have full size headphones that cover the entire ear and are super comfortable. I may also bring them home every once in awhile to use with my current Schiit Lyr/Bifrost setup. Can anyone recommend a pair that would be solid without a headphone amp or good source, but even more amazing with them? I already own a pair of AKG Q701s so I'm trying to shy away from AKG all together and find something more interesting and maybe heavier in bass.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #15,803 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $350 for work. I will be using them exclusively to listen to indie rock type music and prefer to have full size headphones that cover the entire ear and are super comfortable. I may also bring them home every once in awhile to use with my current Schiit Lyr/Bifrost setup. Can anyone recommend a pair that would be solid without a headphone amp or good source, but even more amazing with them? I already own a pair of AKG Q701s so I'm trying to shy away from AKG all together and find something more interesting and maybe heavier in bass.

No amp is a big limitation.  Assuming you are limited to closed cans take a look at the KRK KNS 8400, Denon D2000, Sony MDR 7510 & MDR-V900HD and Shure SRH 840.

Edit: corrected to "closed".

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #15,804 of 29,490
Quote:

No amp is a big limitation.  Assuming you are limited to open cans take a look at the KRK KNS 8400, Denon D2000, Sony MDR 7510 & MDR-V900HD and Shure SRH 840.

You're right, I can probably manage to bring in a smaller (cheaper) amp to work in which case I'll need to get one of those as well. Assuming I get a decent small sized amp, would your suggestions change in this case?

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #15,805 of 29,490
Quote:
You're right, I can probably manage to bring in a smaller (cheaper) amp to work in which case I'll need to get one of those as well. Assuming I get a decent small sized amp, would your suggestions change in this case?

For a bit bassy closed, there are the AKG K550, Beyer DT 770 (pro), Ultrasone Pro 750 and (less bassy) Shure SRH 940.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #15,806 of 29,490
Hi everyone
i am looking for some headphones and here are the parameters
budget: max 500 dolllars
sound: I LOVE BASS!!!!! Of course everything else, the treble and the mids, have to be fine also. But I just love the rumble of sub-bass.
portable: yep. This has to be portable, so no amps. something that can be easily driven by iPods and laptops
comfort: well the longest ill ever use is two to three hours. mostly thirty minute sessions
isolationleakage is fine. but it would be nice to block out sound. not a very important priority though
genre: dubstep, hip hop, rap, r and b, dance, electronic
(flo rida, chris brown, avicii, skrillex, deadmau5, usher, maroon5, etc)

possibility I've thought of the beats pro (PLEASE DONT KILL ME FOR THIS, IMMA NOOB) although i hope there are better options out there

Looks I know this may sound stupid, but looks are important. After all, I am a high-school student and I do want some swag in my headphones. But these are definitely not my first priority. SOund is more important. But just as a bonus....

thanks in advance

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #15,808 of 29,490

Can anyone recommend some good phones that meet these requirements:

1. closed / decent amount of isolation (trying to reduce/block out typical office conversations; I don't like IEMs, though)
  2. comfortable enough to wear for long periods of the day
  3. ideally doesn't need an amp (my source is primarily a Cowon J3; I do have a Portaphile V2 amp that I can use if absolutely necessary)
  4. good for a variety of different musical genres (I don't need crazy bass, though)
  5. < $300

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #15,809 of 29,490
Quote:

Can anyone recommend some good phones that meet these requirements:

1. closed / decent amount of isolation (trying to reduce/block out typical office conversations; I don't like IEMs, though)
  2. comfortable enough to wear for long periods of the day
  3. ideally doesn't need an amp (my source is primarily a Cowon J3; I do have a Portaphile V2 amp that I can use if absolutely necessary)
  4. good for a variety of different musical genres (I don't need crazy bass, though)
  5. < $300

Thanks for any suggestions.

They can be treble bright on some songs but besides that I think you couldn't be happier than the AKG-K550. Check mark for every bullet point! 

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #15,810 of 29,490
 I have a sweet question bothering me lately and wanted to get opinion about

Budget: I dont have a problem until 200$ mark, if i need to go slightly upper it's still fine. Absolute maximum could be 250$ mark.

Style: I really like Rock music during day, and smooth jazz depending on the mood mixed with House and Chill out. I like listening Massive Attack, Norah Jones, Jamie Cullum, some other chill-out types.

Purpose: I will need a headset 70% gaming and 30% music only. I have good TV and system to watch my Bluray movies. I play Diablo, BF3 and WoW at the moment, but will revisit Mass Effect lately. Current: I had only Sennheier in-ear phones as my best gear so far. Unfortunately totally newbie on this area. I have Fatal1ty trash for gaming. Both doesnt satisfy me at all.

Usage: I will use the headphone mainly for gaming and listening music from my PC. Occasionally with my portable MP3 player. I have only onboard sound at the moment, but Xonar DGX is on the way. Where: I live in Czech rep, but i can access different shops around Europe. Still here prices are very good.

My main question: After some research is that Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm will perfectly fit to my needs. It's still in my budget range (here it is around 170-180$. However, I saw lately Creative Aurvana Live! (50$ here) recommendations and feels like it's very good deal here having only 50$ to receive a good jump on SQ. So my question is what would you do under this situation? I can really order Beyerdynamic, but i am questioning if it's worth the price difference that much for newbie as i am?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back