++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #15,138 of 29,490
I'm looking for headphones, for between $50-$80. Circumaural is preferred. Open is fine since I'll be using then at home.

I'm looking specifically for headphones with the best instrument separation possible for the price range. I mostly listen to power metal, amd instruments tend to get jumbled together. I'm looking for something with brightness, and sparkle. As for bass, impact and extension isn't important to me. Accuracy, and claerity is. I want to be able to hear the bassist. I want drums to.sound like drums. If I want that visceral impact of the bass drum I have a home theater, and decent in-ears.

Grado seems like the logical choice, but I would like to weigh my options, especially of there is something in the lower price range with good separation. Soundstage isn't as important as separation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #15,139 of 29,490
Hi. New to the forum.

Looking for a recommendation for an over ear closed/semi-closed full size headphone for under $200, preferably under $100 if possible. unamped. I listen to many genres of music, so looking for clear all around response with low distortion and no lack of high to low. Thanks

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #15,140 of 29,490
Looking for circumaural closed headphones, up to $80 shipped but ideally less. 

I'm a student so I'd like to be able to listen to the headphones in a library (little to no leakage). Likewise, I want some good sound isolation if I'm listening somewhere less quiet.

I'll be listening unamped off my Zune HD or my Vaio's integrated audio.

Music-wise, I listen to rap, electronic, some instrumental, rock, blues, and classical; basically, I want enough bass for the rap/electronic to be enjoyable (not overwhelming because I have other music). I don't consider myself an audiophile (I have a couple MEElectronics IEMs ~$20 as recommended by head-fi but that's it) so the actual sound quality doesn't have to be as good as people on this forum expect.

I value good build quality and would prefer folding action on the headphones. The vast majority of my listening won't be for longer than 3 hours, so I'm not looking for all-day comfort if the other qualities are strong.

I've been looking extensively on the 102 Headphone shootout and elsewhere on head-fi, and these are the options I've found:

Monoprice MEP-839/Kicker HP541
Prodipe Pro 800
Ultrasone HFI-450
Sony MDR-V6
Koss Pro DJ100

I'm not sure of the amp necessity of all these or how DAP friendly they are. I'm sure there's other options so I'd very much appreciate suggestions. I like the look and foldability of monitor headphones.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #15,141 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for headphones, for between $50-$80. Circumaural is preferred. Open is fine since I'll be using then at home.
I'm looking specifically for headphones with the best instrument separation possible for the price range. I mostly listen to power metal, amd instruments tend to get jumbled together. I'm looking for something with brightness, and sparkle. As for bass, impact and extension isn't important to me. Accuracy, and claerity is. I want to be able to hear the bassist. I want drums to.sound like drums. If I want that visceral impact of the bass drum I have a home theater, and decent in-ears.
Grado seems like the logical choice, but I would like to weigh my options, especially of there is something in the lower price range with good separation. Soundstage isn't as important as separation.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

The Grado SR 60 is the only Grado in your price range.  Also consider the KRK KNS-6400 and AKG K240 Studio.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #15,142 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. New to the forum.

Looking for a recommendation for an over ear closed/semi-closed full size headphone for under $200, preferably under $100 if possible. unamped. I listen to many genres of music, so looking for clear all around response with low distortion and no lack of high to low. Thanks

Unamped limits your choices.  Check out the Ultrasone HFI-780, Shure SRH840, KRK KNS-6400.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #15,143 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for circumaural closed headphones, up to $80 shipped but ideally less. 

I'm a student so I'd like to be able to listen to the headphones in a library (little to no leakage). Likewise, I want some good sound isolation if I'm listening somewhere less quiet.

I'll be listening unamped off my Zune HD or my Vaio's integrated audio.

Music-wise, I listen to rap, electronic, some instrumental, rock, blues, and classical; basically, I want enough bass for the rap/electronic to be enjoyable (not overwhelming because I have other music). I don't consider myself an audiophile (I have a couple MEElectronics IEMs ~$20 as recommended by head-fi but that's it) so the actual sound quality doesn't have to be as good as people on this forum expect.

I value good build quality and would prefer folding action on the headphones. The vast majority of my listening won't be for longer than 3 hours, so I'm not looking for all-day comfort if the other qualities are strong.

I've been looking extensively on the 102 Headphone shootout and elsewhere on head-fi, and these are the options I've found:

Monoprice MEP-839/Kicker HP541
Prodipe Pro 800
Ultrasone HFI-450
Sony MDR-V6
Koss Pro DJ100

I'm not sure of the amp necessity of all these or how DAP friendly they are. I'm sure there's other options so I'd very much appreciate suggestions. I like the look and foldability of monitor headphones.

I like the Koss, but it needs just a bit of amping.  At your budget and without an amp, the Sony is an OK choice, but you might be better off with the KRK KNS-6400.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #15,144 of 29,490
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and just decided to create an account since I'm having trouble deciding. Anyhow I am in the need of some over ear headphones for just at office purposes.

Music genres:  95% Alt rock, the rest is random things here and there.
Portable: No, only at the computer.
Price range: Max I'd say $200, but if I would benefit from an amp for a headphone in this range, I'll be for adding a cheap but good amp you'd recommend.
Amped: If needed
Closed/Open: I'd say closed since I listen to my music on the louder side and I share an office with three other people.
Headphone preference: I'm pretty sensitive to bright tweeters/highs, so fatigue needs to be low. Definitely don't like metallic sounding highs in rock at all. I will be wearing these for pretty much the whole working day (8hrs), so comfort is crucial. I do prefer an overall warm/balanced sound with enough bass to fit in with the balanced idea. As far as looks, I really don't care all that much, but if it looks nice, that's a plus.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #15,145 of 29,490
Hello, everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing the Shure SRH440 ($85) [Or possibly Shure SRH840 ($150) if the extra dough is worth it].

I'd like to compare the Shures to others that have been recommended by this forum: CAD Audio MH310 ($63), Creative Aurvana Live! ($95), Koss ProDJ100 ($55), and Superlux HD668B ($50).

Genre: IDM (electronic), Jazz, Video Game Soundtracks, some Rock/Alternative like Radiohead and Shudder to Think. I try to use lossless formats when possible, otherwise 320kpbs mp3 or the highest quality lossy format.
Sound signature: I think I prefer a moderately flat response, since I might use them for mixing audio.
Usage: I plan to use these for studying mostly (home and library), but also for mixing and recording (guitar direct-in to an interface, no mics yet). I may not use these for commuting. Although the ability to use them for travel might be nice, it is not a necessity, so perhaps cans that do not need to be amped are best, but in the future I might get into amping. I don't want the headphones to leak too much sound, but I also don't want to hear too much outside noise. I don't necessarily mean near total isolation.

Thank you in advance for any information/insight you have to offer; it is greatly appreciated.

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #15,146 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and just decided to create an account since I'm having trouble deciding. Anyhow I am in the need of some over ear headphones for just at office purposes.

Price range: Max I'd say $200, but if I would benefit from an amp for a headphone in this range, I'll be for adding a cheap but good amp you'd recommend.
Closed/Open: I do have my own closed off office, so it may not matter at all. But if I had to pick, I'd say closed since I listen to my music on the louder side.
Headphone preference: I'm pretty sensitive to bright tweeters/highs, so fatigue needs to be low. Definitely don't like metallic sounding highs in rock at all. I will be wearing these for pretty much the whole working day (8hrs), so comfort is crucial. I do prefer an overall warm/balanced sound with enough bass to fit in with the balanced idea. As far as looks, I really don't care all that much, but if it looks nice, that's a plus.

Maybe the KRK KNS-8400, they have big memory foam cups and can fit the biggest heads. They sound fairly balanced, but miss a bit of bass for my liking (but I think I'm a bit of a bass head), but i think they'd be ok for listening to alternative, since the bass, despite being low in volume, has lots of punch.
Other than those, maybe Shures or Grados/Alessandros, but I don't know how any of those compare.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #15,147 of 29,490
Quote:
Maybe the KRK KNS-8400, they have big memory foam cups and can fit the biggest heads. They sound fairly balanced, but miss a bit of bass for my liking (but I think I'm a bit of a bass head), but i think they'd be ok for listening to alternative, since the bass, despite being low in volume, has lots of punch.
Other than those, maybe Shures or Grados/Alessandros, but I don't know how any of those compare.

Thanks, I'll check those out! I've been looking at the Senn HD25-1 II, The Alessandros (for their apparent less bright highs compared to their Grado counterparts), and the Shure 840's. I actually just got moved to a different office, and now I'll be sharing it with 4 people, so low sound leak is needed. With that in mind, I'm not sure how the HD25's are in the leak department, and I know the Alessandros will leak pretty bad..

I don't need a lot of bass really, as long as it is punchy and sounds well, I'm fine.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #15,148 of 29,490
Quote:

Closed/Open: I'd say closed since I listen to my music on the louder side and I share an office with three other people.

Consider the V-Moda M-80, KRK KNS 8400 and Shure SRH840.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #15,149 of 29,490
Quote:

Consider the Shure SRH840 (some had had comfort issues--I don't), KRK KNS 8400 or Brainwavz HM5.  Adding an amp is a good idea.  

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #15,150 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing the Shure SRH440 ($85) [Or possibly Shure SRH840 ($150) if the extra dough is worth it].

I'd like to compare the Shures to others that have been recommended by this forum: CAD Audio MH310 ($63), Creative Aurvana Live! ($95), Koss ProDJ100 ($55), and Superlux HD668B ($50).

Genre: IDM (electronic), Jazz, Video Game Soundtracks, some Rock/Alternative like Radiohead and Shudder to Think. I try to use lossless formats when possible, otherwise 320kpbs mp3 or the highest quality lossy format.
Sound signature: I think I prefer a moderately flat response, since I might use them for mixing audio.
Usage: I plan to use these for studying mostly (home and library), but also for mixing and recording (guitar direct-in to an interface, no mics yet). I may not use these for commuting. Although the ability to use them for travel might be nice, it is not a necessity, so perhaps cans that do not need to be amped are best, but in the future I might get into amping. I don't want the headphones to leak too much sound, but I also don't want to hear too much outside noise. I don't necessarily mean near total isolation.

Thank you in advance for any information/insight you have to offer; it is greatly appreciated.

The 840 is your best bet from that group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back