++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #15,166 of 29,490
Quote:
I suppose I'd like to avoid overly bright or piercing highs, as that tends to be fatiguing to me in the long-run. Other than that, I'd value clarity but not necessarily at the expense of a punchy bass (which seems to not be as much of a problem on closed headphones, as opposed to open ones, at the risk of sounding too boomy). 

The M80 probably is your best fit.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #15,167 of 29,490
Quote:
My friend is getting a pair of headphones for a plane trip coming up, and it is his first time spending more than $20 on a set. (o.O)
He asked me what to get him, I recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and the Ultrasone S-Logic 580s, but I'm not sure if those are suitable for him.
He listens to bands such as Nirvana and Metallica, and that takes up about 80% of his listening. He would like something that leans on the bassy side but not overpowering, just so that they are more pronounced.
Budget is $200, and he is using an iPod nano as a source.

Utrasone HiFi 780--strong bass without being a basshead can that will play at or near its best unamped from portable devices or any computer.

The M50 has recessed mids and the 580 is a basshead can.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #15,169 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy a pair of ath-ad500. Can anyone compare them.to their bigger brother, the ad700?

I've never understood people's obsession for bass in metal. I find that warmth and body detracts from the experience as a whole by congesting the instruments, so I'm looking to buy airy, light 'phones.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than $50 shipped for the ad500.

Also are there any alternatives in that price range?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #15,170 of 29,490
Quote:
Only problem I've heard about the 780 is the sharp and shrill treble. I cannot stand super shrilly highs and I wonder if he will have a problem with that too.

It is bright--and so is the M50.

If he wants neutral, go with the Shure SRH 840 or Brainwavz HM5.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #15,171 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a pair of ath-ad500. Can anyone compare them.to their bigger brother, the ad700?
I've never understood people's obsession for bass in metal. I find that warmth and body detracts from the experience as a whole by congesting the instruments, so I'm looking to buy airy, light 'phones.
Ideally I don't want to spend more than $50 shipped for the ad500.
Also are there any alternatives in that price range?

Options include: KRK KNS-6400, Samson RH600, Superlux HD668B,  Samson SR850.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #15,174 of 29,490
Quote:
How do they compare in terms of price, instrument separation, and clarity?

They are among the best of the budget cans around $50 US street price.  Thus, they all have "issues" when compared to quality cans in higher price classes.  As I tend to spend almost all of my time with cans that cost a great deal more, I'm not in a position to give a detailed analysis of any of these, except to say that the Superlux sounds like a much more expensive can except the upper mids/lower highs are too bright and forward.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #15,175 of 29,490
Quote:
Can someone tell me how grado's brightness compares to the ultrasone hfi780's brightness. I know ultrasones are bright but are they as bright as my grado sr60i's.

They are a step down in brightness when compared to the Grado SR line.  They have more bass than the Grados.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #15,177 of 29,490
Im gonna purchase a sennheiser HD 598 but it comes with no carrying case and you cant bend it, so I'm pretty sure it won't fit in other carrying cases. If you own an HD 598 or a similar model, how do you carry it around in your backpack without damaging it?

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #15,178 of 29,490
Quote:
Im gonna purchase a sennheiser HD 598 but it comes with no carrying case and you cant bend it, so I'm pretty sure it won't fit in other carrying cases. If you own an HD 598 or a similar model, how do you carry it around in your backpack without damaging it?

The 598 is plastic and not made for knock about use.  It was made to be used at home at a listening station.  Buy a padded protective case for it.  The best values for such items tend to be those designed for pilot and air crew headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back