++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #15,109 of 29,490
I didn't see this thread so I started my own earlier, my apologies. I'll just here what I put in my own thread and see what you guys think.

Okay let me start off by saying in really new to the headfi scene. I'm using a fiio e11 paired with koss pro dj100's and I'm looking to upgrade. I find the koss phones to be uncomfortable and I just don't enjoy their sound. I had originally thought about getting the Ath Ad700's until I saw the initial impression thread on the Takstar 2050's. They look very comfortable and well built. I mainly use my headphones for music, paired with some LIGHT gaming. I listen to rock, metal, alternative, rap, and sometimes folk. A lot of folk metal. Which would you guys recommend? The cheap price of the Takstar is very appealing compared to the ad700 as id like to keep it under 100$.

Thanks, aappss01.

May 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #15,110 of 29,490
I'm not sure there is one.  Maybe the HiFi Man HE-400?

Thanks, but the HE-400 is out of my budget. I'm looking for something that sells about $200, used. Also I'm going to use them as portable headphones, and the HifiMan doesn't seem quite up for that job.

I can guess I love the HD598 is because of it's natural, not bassy, wide soundstage, and prominent mids. There is no such headphone that delivers this, which is semi-open? I'm not looking for a closed phone, because I know it can't have the same level of soundstage.

May 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #15,111 of 29,490
Hello guys I am having problems with my Sony MDR V6 and it's wiring. Someone please recommend a headphone at the same price point ($85~) with the good sound and straight wire rather than a spiral like the Sony. Thank you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edited:
*I like both open and closed cans, so any kind is acceptable

Also are there any tips out there for caring headphone so they last longer? Every six months or so I need a replacement.

May 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #15,112 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, but the HE-400 is out of my budget. I'm looking for something that sells about $200, used. Also I'm going to use them as portable headphones, and the HifiMan doesn't seem quite up for that job.
I can guess I love the HD598 is because of it's natural, not bassy, wide soundstage, and prominent mids. There is no such headphone that delivers this, which is semi-open? I'm not looking for a closed phone, because I know it can't have the same level of soundstage.

I don't know of one--especially one suitable for portable use.  The 598 is a unique can, except maybe for its little brother with the same drivers--the 558.  In addition open and semi-open cans aren't ofter designed to be super portable because their leakage (to one degree or another) makes them less than the perfect choice for public or close quarters use.

There is the Ultrasone HiFi 2400, but it's above your budget and doesn't really meet the sound signature you have outlined.

May 31, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #15,113 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys I am having problems with my Sony MDR V6 and it's wiring. Someone please recommend a headphone at the same price point ($85~) with the good sound and straight wire rather than a spiral like the Sony. Thank you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edited:
*I like both open and closed cans, so any kind is acceptable

Also are there any tips out there for caring headphone so they last longer? Every six months or so I need a replacement.

Grado SR 60 or 80--if you like their house sound signature.  If you don't abuse your cans, they will last for a long time.

May 31, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #15,115 of 29,490
I don't know of one--especially one suitable for portable use.  The 598 is a unique can, except maybe for its little brother with the same drivers--the 558.  In addition open and semi-open cans aren't ofter designed to be super portable because their leakage (to one degree or another) makes them less than the perfect choice for public or close quarters use.

There is the Ultrasone HiFi 2400, but it's above your budget and doesn't really meet the sound signature you have outlined.

I'm fine with semi-open for portable. Heck, I even use the HD598 for that, but sometimes I can get complaints about sound leakage on the bus, especially when it is a quiet, not crowded one. Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with open or semi-open design. I don't feel I need to rise up the volume on the bus, and isolation is quite good - the only problem is the leakage & it's complaints, so I hope a semi-open design will solve that, by leaking out less sound.

Also, I'm 100% comfortable carrying full-size cans around :cool:
For ultra-portable setups I'm using IEM's such as TF10 / DBA02 / PL50.

Edit:

I've checked the Ultrasone HFI-2400, and found it at amazon for $195 brand new, how's that above my budget? :p

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-HFI-2400-Professional-Open-Back-Headphones/dp/B002W37ESY

May 31, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #15,117 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm fine with semi-open for portable. Heck, I even use the HD598 for that, but sometimes I can get complaints about sound leakage on the bus, especially when it is a quiet, not crowded one. Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with open or semi-open design. I don't feel I need to rise up the volume on the bus, and isolation is quite good - the only problem is the leakage & it's complaints, so I hope a semi-open design will solve that, by leaking out less sound.
Also, I'm 100% comfortable carrying full-size cans around
cool.gif

For ultra-portable setups I'm using IEM's such as TF10 / DBA02 / PL50.
Edit:
I've checked the Ultrasone HFI-2400, and found it at amazon for $195 brand new, how's that above my budget?
tongue.gif

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-HFI-2400-Professional-Open-Back-Headphones/dp/B002W37ESY

Then I guess I failed to understand your portability requirement.

The 2400 is currently at a lower price than it has been for months--according to the Camelizer.  What difference does it make, if it does not have the sound signature your seek?  I mentioned it because it folds up and in the eyes of most is at least somewhat portable.  However, that is not how you define the term.

May 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #15,118 of 29,490
Well, I've created my own thread, possibly I'll get more views there :)
Thanks!

May 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #15,119 of 29,490
I had initially started a new thread but then i found this thread. Seems like a better place to ask my question.

Been reading these forums for a while now and have been a great resource for anybody looking for headphones. Now I need advice from the head-fi's out there.

I looking to get a new pair of $150-$200 active noise cancelling, over ear (back enclosed) head-phones for use on city transit. I like listening to old school new wave / dance / techno (think Depeche Mode, New Order) music mostly and may watch the occasionally downloaded TV show that i missed the night before.

From the reading I have been doing I'm kind of leaning toward the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b for the balance of noise cancelling and sound quality. Do these work for sound if the N/C battery is dead? I heard the Bose headphones will not work if the battery is dead.
Would the ATH-ANC7b be a good match for me or are there other headphones that i should consider?

I see from the forums that IEM's are much more popular than the noise cancelling type, however my ears tend to get tired with anything stuck in them. I prefer over the ear type headphones but I am open to suggestions for IEM's in the same price range that have multiple ear piece tips. 

Thanks for any and all help! 

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #15,120 of 29,490
smeghead68: Some of the non-noise cancelling headphones such as the V-MODA M80s are isolating enough I find them sufficient for public transport and they are voiced a bit more towards being good for what I call "club" music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back