++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #15,031 of 29,490
Hello. I decided that I will probably get the alessandro ms-2. However I just have one question. Do they have the same ugly chrome material as the newest sr325is? Such as these? If they do, it won't really discourage me from buying them, I would just like to know before hand. Thank you!

May 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #15,032 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello. I decided that I will probably get the alessandro ms-2. However I just have one question. Do they have the same ugly chrome material as the newest sr325is? Such as these? If they do, it won't really discourage me from buying them, I would just like to know before hand. Thank you!

1000x500px-LL-2d18d180_Alessandro_MS2.jpg

May 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #15,033 of 29,490
Quote:

They are not quite as shiny as the above picture suggests.  They're more gray than reflective crome.

May 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #15,034 of 29,490
Quote:

I think they look great, but that's just my opinion. I don't know if they're made of the  same material though.

May 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #15,036 of 29,490
Hey guys! So i want the m50's badly for the past few months. But because the cord of the M50 is not removable so i lost interest. But with this site: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-R-SPECIAL
they already modified the headphones and made the cord detachable. So I just want to ask if is it a safe buy? 

(P.S.:I am from the Philippines so i just want to confirm it)

May 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #15,037 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! So i want the m50's badly for the past few months. But because the cord of the M50 is not removable so i lost interest. But with this site: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-R-SPECIAL
they already modified the headphones and made the cord detachable. So I just want to ask if is it a safe buy? 

(P.S.:I am from the Philippines so i just want to confirm it)

http://myworld.ebay.com/soundpro99/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

This is there ebay page, yes they are safe I just ordered those specific headphones from them via their ebay because they have worldwide free shipping and you can even make an offer to try and get it less.  I got mines for $150.  Btw I'll tell you this now, the chord is really long lol.

May 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #15,038 of 29,490
Quote:
http://myworld.ebay.com/soundpro99/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

This is there ebay page, yes they are safe I just ordered those specific headphones from them via their ebay because they have worldwide free shipping and you can even make an offer to try and get it less.  I got mines for $150.  Btw I'll tell you this now, the chord is really long lol.

hey thanks so much! i appreciate your help! :D Btw the link i posted has the coiled cable. does yours come with the straight?

May 28, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #15,039 of 29,490
Quote:
hey thanks so much! i appreciate your help! :D Btw the link i posted has the coiled cable. does yours come with the straight?

Ooh didn't know they have a removable coiled version.  I should order that lol. The straight cable is rediculously long.  If you PM them a message on ebay beforehand and ask if you can get the coiled version instead I'm sure they can accommodate you.  

May 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #15,042 of 29,490
Quote:
a slight update from my earlier post,
i came across the MDR-ZX700 in the shops here, and it only costs 72 euro´s including postage... but i cant find a lot of reviews... is it worth a try?
or should i still get the v6/7506?

The 700 is a very nice can for hitting the road/street and playing with your unamped portable stuff.  I don't have the 7506, but have the similar 7510.  The 7510 extends the frequency response, especially on the low end.

May 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #15,043 of 29,490
Quote:

There's a very large thread here on the AKG K 550.  You can check there, but I believe that it will require an amp to sound its best.  Two good closed cans that don't need an amp are the Ultrasone HiFi 780 and the KRK KNS-6400.

I might consider getting the AKG K550 with an amp if it's worth the extra money - would there be a significant difference between the quality of an amped AKG K550 and, let's say, a grado/alessandro, Ultrasone HiFi 780 or KRK KNS-6400? If so, how much would you recommend spending on an amp?

May 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #15,044 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones in the $100 to $150 price range. Currently I own a pair of JVC HA-RX700's and while they have performed exceptionally well for their price over the past year I feel it is time to move onto something with far higher sound quality. I currently attend a University and live on-campus where I do not have access to a nice sound system, so I use my headphones on a daily basis for playing video games, listening to music, etc. Thus far I am torn between the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the Ultrasone HFI-780's. I've heard both good and bad things about both headphones, first off comfort is a key element for me, and I've heard that the HFI-780's can be horribly uncomfortable for extended periods of time compared to the ATH-M50's. On the other side I've heard that the bass, frequency response, lows, mids, and high's were better on the HFI-780's. Some people have also told me that the HFI-780's have a shrilling or metallic treble that is not pleasant to the ear and makes listening to metal or rock music on them underwhelming. As far as the HFI-780's S-Logic+ goes, I am interested. I've heard everything from it makes the soundstage far more immersive and expansive to it doesn't work and makes the music lack focus or clarity, especially in the vocal department. 

As far as music goes I listen to almost everything from hip-hop and rap, metal, rock, jazz, blues, pop, and classical. I listen to my music on vinyl records (which I sadly am without when living on campus, though I would use my headphones for listening to them late a night when home), compact-discs, or wave files. Both headphones can be found on Amazon for almost the same price and I'm split between them.

Any suggestions? 

May 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #15,045 of 29,490
Quote:
I might consider getting the AKG K550 with an amp if it's worth the extra money - would there be a significant difference between the quality of an amped AKG K550 and, let's say, a grado/alessandro, Ultrasone HiFi 780 or KRK KNS-6400? If so, how much would you recommend spending on an amp?

The Grados/Alessandros are open cans with a sound signature very different from the K 550 (or open Q 701 for that matter).  If you go amped the comparison cans move from those listed above to the better Ultrasone Pro 750 and KRK KNS 8400.

I only have a desktop amp and don't have my main music in the form of computer files.  My HiFiMan EF2A will probably work well for you, as it has a good built in dac and usb connection.  However, what you probably need is combination destop and portable amp/dac combination.  Fiio (and probably others) offer such a product in a fairly affordable range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back