++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #15,062 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks guys! I looked at both the vmoda and denon and i think i'm leaning on vmoda's site more.

Now what's the best priced lp2 have you seen? Has it been any cheaper than $180ish?

It was $189.99 on Amazon yesterday. I've never seen it lower than that.

May 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #15,064 of 29,490
May 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #15,065 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on this review http://www.head-fi.org/t/557002/jvc-ha-m5x-another-budget-bassheads-review it seems the XB500 is better for gaming. Much better comfort, which is good for gaming marathons, and better instrument separation to help pinpoint your enemies.

Thanks yeah i was reading that before i might go with the M5X as i want it more for music and just some gaming but is there any other headphones that compete with the XB500 & M5X that are in the $50 - $100 Range as im a BASSHEAD ^_^

May 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #15,066 of 29,490
Well, it's been a few months since I've bought some nicer earbuds and headphones.  I don't count the coby cvh56 although they are not a bad headphone for three bucks, so I got several of those.  it's time again and my audio technica anc7 s broke  and no warranty left, I got them several years ago so it's a good excuse to buy some new noise canceling headphones.  I listen mostly to classical type music(Mahler, Bruckner, Vivaldi and everything in between).  The absolute maximum I'm willing to spend is 60 bucks so I'm thinking the 'Pyle Home PHPNC45', the 'Pyle Home PHPNC15'  The reviews for them on amazon are mixed but some claim they have great sound and noise canceling abilities.  Does anyone know about these or ever seen them?  another one I was looking at is the 'Able Planet NC180'.  That's less than 50 bucks.  I am somewhat considering the Audio Technica ANC27 for 60 bucks, but thats the absolute maximum I would spend. I'd like to know what headfiers think of these because well other reviews kind of suck.

Many people claim the ANC27 doesn't go around your ear and it hurts.  I wear glasses full time and although I really could care less about minor pain or pressure from headphones, I just don't know how extreme it is.  The Able Planets look nice but I've never heard of them until a few days ago.  From reading most of the reviews on the able planets it sounds like they would break in a matter of weeks.  I'm really leaning towards the Pyle PHPNC15 because of the price though.  It just sounds like a real gamble and I need advice since there isn't much out there.

I kind of like the sound of my Creative HQ1600, Audio Technica M30 or Etymotic MC5.  Noise canceling headphones that sounded like any of those would be great even though I really shouldn't be throwing the Etymotics in the mix considering it's in ear.

Thanks for the help guys, You always give great suggestions for the new phones I'm always buying.

May 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #15,067 of 29,490
Evening everybody! Very new to this site, and very new to headphones in general. I've been living off of my car speakers and $20 panasonic IEM's for long enough, so it's time to invest in a great set of headphones. Hopefully y'all can help me out in picking which ones!
I'll be listening to 99% hip-hop with these headphones. The remaining 1% will of course be everything else (Techno, Dubstep, Trance, R&B...), but as long as it handles my hip-hop beautifully, I'll be happy. They will be used primarily for at-home listening, but I would also like them to be portable. Although they will be spending most of their time safe at home, I would like to have a pair of headphones to wear around walking, take outside while I enjoy the weather, etc.
Maybe it would be better to buy two pairs, one for strictly at-home use, and one that I can take around town with me in my backpack or something. You guys are the experts, so I'll let you decide!
I also understand that I'll be needing an amp for the quality of headphones I'm wanting to invest in. I know nothing about the quality of various portable amps, how they compare to stationary amps, etc., so I'm really not sure what I even need!
I don't have a set $ limit, but it would be nice to keep it under $400 for everything.
I do know that I really love my music, and I've probably been doing myself a great disservice all these years by listening to it through inferior audio equipment. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank-you!

May 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #15,068 of 29,490
Hello!

I need a comfortable headset for Skype & webinars. Can't decide on which headset to get. Plantronics .Audio 628 seems to be fairly good variant, but I couldn't find any review of it. Budget is $50.

Thanks in advance!

May 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #15,069 of 29,490
Ok soo I have been trawling the great wide interweb thingy for ages looking for just the right set of entry level headphones and have settled on and ordered a set of audiotechnica ATH M50s. So yeah yay great I have a fan spangled new pair of almost highend headphones on the way cool I'm going to be the coolest kid on the block (not true it's going to be the guy who brought the $600nzd bright read beats). But I have a problem : as I wait in intsense anticipation 3-4 days for shipping it occurs to me that my music collection is rather large, disorganized, and low quality. I need some new tunes to blast on my soon to arrive new cans (yeah that's right I know some of the slang been trawling these forums for like 3 days now). I'm not to fussed on any particular musical genre, I prefer to listen to well crafted music that combines vocals with a variety of instruments :)

I was hopeing people could maybe reccomend to me a few of their personal favorite songs to try out?

May 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #15,070 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok soo I have been trawling the great wide interweb thingy for ages looking for just the right set of entry level headphones and have settled on and ordered a set of audiotechnica ATH M50s. So yeah yay great I have a fan spangled new pair of almost highend headphones on the way cool I'm going to be the coolest kid on the block (not true it's going to be the guy who brought the $600nzd bright read beats). But I have a problem : as I wait in intsense anticipation 3-4 days for shipping it occurs to me that my music collection is rather large, disorganized, and low quality. I need some new tunes to blast on my soon to arrive new cans (yeah that's right I know some of the slang been trawling these forums for like 3 days now). I'm not to fussed on any particular musical genre, I prefer to listen to well crafted music that combines vocals with a variety of instruments
smily_headphones1.gif

I was hopeing people could maybe reccomend to me a few of their personal favorite songs to try out?

Depends on genre with Hiphop listen to Wiz Khalifa lots of bass to test the M50's also listen to some KPOP really great Vocals best to search BIGBANG ^_^ Enjoy your Headphones

May 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #15,071 of 29,490
Quote:

Have you seen:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added   ?

Yes, I have. That is where I found the Q701.
After looking around a bit more, I've concluded that Beyer's phones aren't for me. I don't think they'll suit me well with recessed mids and piercing highs.

May 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #15,072 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok soo I have been trawling the great wide interweb thingy for ages looking for just the right set of entry level headphones and have settled on and ordered a set of audiotechnica ATH M50s. So yeah yay great I have a fan spangled new pair of almost highend headphones on the way cool I'm going to be the coolest kid on the block (not true it's going to be the guy who brought the $600nzd bright read beats). But I have a problem : as I wait in intsense anticipation 3-4 days for shipping it occurs to me that my music collection is rather large, disorganized, and low quality. I need some new tunes to blast on my soon to arrive new cans (yeah that's right I know some of the slang been trawling these forums for like 3 days now). I'm not to fussed on any particular musical genre, I prefer to listen to well crafted music that combines vocals with a variety of instruments
smily_headphones1.gif

WOw, thanks for the hanging curve ball... Here are a few random ones that I think sound great on the M50s: Most anything from Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss, particularly Fortune Teller and Rich Woman; Jah Wobble: Bomba; A Perfect Circle: Weak and Powerless; Gordon Lightfoot: Seven Island Suite (or maybe anything with twelve string guitar); stuff by Yes, Tool.

May 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #15,073 of 29,490
I'm going to recommend Queen, as their albums on CD mastered fairly well compared to other remasters. To test out the very low end of your headphones listen to Untitled from Made in Heaven by Queen, the song is twenty some minutes, but nearly all of it is quite, finely detailed low bass.

May 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #15,074 of 29,490
Hello,
I'm looking for some recommendations on some over the ear headphones. So far I've been looking into the Audio Technica ATH M50's and the V-Moda LP2's. I listen to mostly Alternative rock, hip-hop and some jazz. I want some headphones with good bass but I'm not super bass-happy. The just need to be well balanced and clear. So if anyone could give me some suggestions on which ones are better, and/or other recommendations, that'd be sweet.
Thanks

May 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #15,075 of 29,490
Hello everybody,

For a few months I've been research headsets and as a result I'm pretty much committed to build a starving student millet hybrid tube amp and purchase some headsets.

These headsets will be mainly used for gaming and music, mostly music though. 

Some examples of music I listen to are:
Slayers
Animal Collective
Kimbra
Johanna Newsom
Flaming Lips
Sage Francis

Basically, I listen to a wide assortment of music. I really enjoy clarity in music, and I like picking up individual instruments and finding new details in music. I'm not a basshead, but I do listen to music that have a lot of bass too.

At first I was dead set on purchasing a pair of AKG K701, but I'm not sure if I want to make such a purchase without getting an idea of what I'm truly looking for. For one, I don't have a way to try out headphones before purchasing (unless anyone knows a place in Denver). Secondly, I don't want to fool myself into thinking I'm listening to a superior pair of headset because I drop a few hundred dollars on them.

So I'm kind of leaning heavily towards the Fostex T50RP. I enjoy its modability, its price, and people reviews and opinions on it. 

Does anyone have any recommendation outside of the T50RP? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back