++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 25, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #14,941 of 29,490
Quote:
Question between the Grado SR80i and the Alessandro MS1, which is favored more for what Grado does best?  The Alessandro I heard has more bass, but does the SR80i still have the better "rock" sound?

The MS1 will rock your arse off.  Although based on the 80, it is mostly often compared to the up line 125 & 225.

May 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #14,942 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, I finally decided to buy a pair and hope for the best. I'm definitely optimistic, and I'll make sure to give them plenty of time to get a good fit before considering getting rid of them.

I think you'll love them. So, black or white?

May 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #14,943 of 29,490
Ok, I think I have made a decision for the M50s. I am not going to get them, I want to use them for both general use, highly compressed films on my classic and compressed music because I have so much of it. Therefore, I am not going to get them. Does this seem reasonable? Currently I am looking at Shure srh 440, I have heard conflicting reviews on comfort but they pretty much always seem to be sorted by upgrading the pads which I can do easily. They will cost me £60, is there any other competition at this price for a good all round headphone for all music tastes and qualities? Including youtube and compressed videos?

May 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #14,944 of 29,490
Gosh, I really do change by the minute! I am now looking at the srh440 and the mdr-zx700. I am leaning towards the latter of the two due to less comfort issues and apparently better sound balance. I think I will try them both at local stores and see which one I prefer. Does anyone else have any recommendations for a £60 budget?

May 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #14,945 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, I think I have made a decision for the M50s. I am not going to get them, I want to use them for both general use, highly compressed films on my classic and compressed music because I have so much of it. Therefore, I am not going to get them. Does this seem reasonable? Currently I am looking at Shure srh 440, I have heard conflicting reviews on comfort but they pretty much always seem to be sorted by upgrading the pads which I can do easily. They will cost me £60, is there any other competition at this price for a good all round headphone for all music tastes and qualities? Including youtube and compressed videos?

The comfort of the 440 is easily upgraded by buying the 840 replacement ear pads--or by sweet talking a friend who has the 840 out of his pair that comes with that can.

May 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #14,946 of 29,490
Quote:

The comfort of the 440 is easily upgraded by buying the 840 replacement ear pads--or by sweet talking a friend who has the 840 out of his pair that comes with that can.

Yes, I agree but sadly most of my friends aren't audiophiles at all, the either own beats or use the apple ear buds. So, no one really owns an 840 for that matter! I am still considering the two sound quality wise, apparently the zx700 has a more even balance with forward mids which I do like, however, I do like the construction of the shures better...so hard! What are people's opinion between the two?

May 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #14,947 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes, I agree but sadly most of my friends aren't audiophiles at all, the either own beats or use the apple ear buds. So, no one really owns an 840 for that matter! I am still considering the two sound quality wise, apparently the zx700 has a more even balance with forward mids which I do like, however, I do like the construction of the shures better...so hard! What are people's opinion between the two?

I have both and both are good.  I find that the Sony is more mid-centric and more comfortable, but it does not fold up or come with a 1/4" plug.  Just pick one that best meets your needs and equipment.

May 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #14,948 of 29,490
Quote:
Gosh, I really do change by the minute! I am now looking at the srh440 and the mdr-zx700. I am leaning towards the latter of the two due to less comfort issues and apparently better sound balance. I think I will try them both at local stores and see which one I prefer. Does anyone else have any recommendations for a £60 budget?

I was going to recommend the ZX700 as a possible alternate, only by reputation though, as I have the mdr7520, and I like their sound and especially their construction.

May 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #14,949 of 29,490
Quote:
I was going to recommend the ZX700 as a possible alternate, only by reputation though, as I have the mdr7520, and I like their sound and especially their construction.

The 7520 is $400 headphone--or about 4 to 5 x the price of the 700.  As a basis for a recommendation, it's quite a stretch.  I have the step down 7510--and it is notably better than the 700 (which I also have and use for my unamped "on the road" can).

May 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #14,950 of 29,490
Hi guys,
 I've been wanting to buy another pair of IEM's for a while now. At the moment I use my Shure SE215''s the most, mainly because its very isolating and the ever so slightly emphasized bass overcomes the rumble of the bus so it's very good for that purpose. But I was hoping to buy another pair for when I'm not the move. They'll be used mainly in quite environments so the isolation isn't as important however it would be nice. 

The things I like about the sound from my pair of Shure's is the bass, the bass quantity its punchy and has a strong impact to it too. But I am getting bored of the mids and the recessed highs, although I don't want an IEM that would cause fatigue. That being said I did like the JVC/Victor FX-300's even though they had an incredibly sparkly and somewhat boosted treble.

My budget at the moment is between £180-290 although I wouldn't mind stretching it a little. The IEM's I've been looking into are the following

Shure SE425, SE 535
Ultimate Ears Triple. fi 10
Westone UM2, UM3x, W3

I was wondering which of these earphones would suit me best. I have read a lot of reviews about most of these earphones however they usually rely on comparisons quite heavily which is hard to relate to being relatively new to the market, well I've been buying a slew of £30 earphones for about two years now but I only got into trying to find a better sound about half a year ago.

*the primary source would be a J3, and a laptop with a discrete sound card and a computer with an external sound card.
*the range of music I listen to is so varied, classical to heavy metal to rap, that an overall performer would be best

May 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #14,951 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,
 I've been wanting to buy another pair of IEM's for a while now. At the moment I use my Shure SE215''s the most, mainly because its very isolating and the ever so slightly emphasized bass overcomes the rumble of the bus so it's very good for that purpose. But I was hoping to buy another pair for when I'm not the move. They'll be used mainly in quite environments so the isolation isn't as important however it would be nice. 

The things I like about the sound from my pair of Shure's is the bass, the bass quantity its punchy and has a strong impact to it too. But I am getting bored of the mids and the recessed highs, although I don't want an IEM that would cause fatigue. That being said I did like the JVC/Victor FX-300's even though they had an incredibly sparkly and somewhat boosted treble.

My budget at the moment is between £180-290 although I wouldn't mind stretching it a little. The IEM's I've been looking into are the following

Shure SE425, SE 535
Ultimate Ears Triple. fi 10
Westone UM2, UM3x, W3

I was wondering which of these earphones would suit me best. I have read a lot of reviews about most of these earphones however they usually rely on comparisons quite heavily which is hard to relate to being relatively new to the market, well I've been buying a slew of £30 earphones for about two years now but I only got into trying to find a better sound about half a year ago.

*the primary source would be a J3, and a laptop with a discrete sound card and a computer with an external sound card.
*the range of music I listen to is so varied, classical to heavy metal to rap, that an overall performer would be best

You should repost this in the section of the forum that covers EIM's.  This is the full-sized headphone section of the forum.

May 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #14,953 of 29,490
Quote:

The 7520 is $400 headphone--or about 4 to 5 x the price of the 700.  As a basis for a recommendation, it's quite a stretch.  I have the step down 7510--and it is notably better than the 700 (which I also have and use for my unamped "on the road" can).

Yeah, I should have more carefully worded my reply in  pertinent terms, i.e., principally the similar construction design. Didn't mean to confuse the issue.

May 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #14,954 of 29,490
Yeah, I should have more carefully worded my reply in  pertinent terms, i.e., principally the similar construction design. Didn't mean to confuse the issue.

don't worry, I understand. So basically you are recommending the ZX700s? This will be good as I think I have a local Sony store so I should be able to have a touchy feely and if the price is good, buy it from there, I am not a fan of buying of the internet for things like this. Also, how do you compare the ZX700s with the M50s?

May 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #14,955 of 29,490
Will I notice a considerable difference between Shure SRH840's and my current Razer Carcharias'? Would it be worth the $160 investment? Mostly be using 192+ kbps files on my computer with no amp. I mostly listen to Folk/Instrumentals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back