++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #13,996 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok so I know I have asked alot. But none of the headphones ppl recommend are really what I want 
tongue_smile.gif

So I want a open phone. I will be listening to music like Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, The Velvet Underground, Radiohead, etc. I will be using a iPod Touch and a Fiio E11 (Prob be buying a $200 amp soon so if you can recommend one that would be great!) Budget is $300 and below for headphone.

Beyer DT990 or the Ultrasone hfi 2400.... 

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #13,998 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok so I know I have asked alot. But none of the headphones ppl recommend are really what I want 
tongue_smile.gif

So I want a open phone. I will be listening to music like Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, The Velvet Underground, Radiohead, etc. I will be using a iPod Touch and a Fiio E11 (Prob be buying a $200 amp soon so if you can recommend one that would be great!) Budget is $300 and below for headphone.

And I want a huge soundstage and its for home use. Would the Beyer DT990 fit all my specifications?

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #14,000 of 29,490
I posted but I'm gonna give it another try a little more refined.

I am looking to buy a good pair of budget headphones. They will be for my gaming PC, but I listen to music as well(usually while playing games). So if bass is a bit heavy that's fine I'm not playing competitively. Though if it totally kills gaming then that's a problem. Any suggestions appreciated. My main post is in quote boxes bellow.

• - Gaming 80%, fps/rpg/Strategy Games, Battlefield 3, Shogun 2 TW and Dragon Age Origins are a few examples
  • - Music 20%, Heavy metal/rock, Disturbed is the best example band
  • - Budget, <$140 if possible, can go over though I would rather not
  • - Home PC use,  I will be getting soundcard with built in amp assuming that's the best route(not 100% sure)
  • - Durability, Not going to snap putting it on my head(bit larger then average I'd say) Just all around decent durability short of tossing it around like a football
  • - Comfort, I will be wearing a few hours at a time

Maybe HD555's,558's, or 595's I see 555s used on amazon about $100 and 558's about $150, and 595's about $140. Of course I'd need suggestions on whether its wise to buy used headphones on amazon, sellers have no history probably not the best idea.
Any suggestions? Appreciate any help!

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #14,004 of 29,490

Quote:
Why don't you just add some padding to the D2000 headband? Velcro some foam to it...or whatever. If you found the sound you like, don't throw it away because of an issue which can be so easily fixed. Just my thought.

i am trying that with the dt 770 pro headband ans also consider to glue on some headcushion from KNK or similar. however i first will try "non destructive" methods :) (that d2k leather looks not very robust to me and is probably easily damaged.)

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #14,007 of 29,490

Quote:
I think I'm going to get HD 595's any objections. Good for gaming?

The 595's are an older model that have have given a number of people problems with cracking.  The newer 518--558 --598 have improved sound (based on reviews--I only have the newer models) and improved build quality.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #14,008 of 29,490
Yeah I see your point about 595, actually all of those Sennheiser products make me feel iffy about durability. Someone mentioned AKG K240 being good for gaming/rock and they are only $80 on amazon at http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K-240-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA?tag=duckduckgo-d-20. Any opinions on these, they don't look breakable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back