++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #14,027 of 29,490
bump! Any recommendations? Anyone? ):

woop woop, re-posting~ got any recommendations, guys? .o.

Quote:
Budget: €120-€150~ (please note that prices in Europe are usually higher than those in the States!)
Genre: mainly metal, rock, d'n'b, dubstep, techno, trance tho I listen to pretty much anything ^^"
Sound signature: I like bass along the lines of moderate-low/moderate. I'm also a critical listener and I prefer listening to instruments instead of vocals (for example, when I listen to metal I pay a lot of attention to the guitar(s) and zero to none to the vocals xD)
Usage: here comes the hard part~ I'll be moving to a uni dorm in a different country and even tho I'll be living alone in a room I'm 100% sure that the people around me won't be quiet 24/7 and I want a pair of good headphones which will be able to isolate noise fairly well. I won't have an amp (nor will I have the money to buy one there) so I'll directly plug the headphones in my laptop. Most of the time I'll use them for listening to music tho I'd love to be able to watch films and play video games with them too i.e. sometimes I might have to wear them for a prolonged period of time so they have to be rather comfortable. 
Open/Closed: hm, I believe semi-open/closed will be better (see why in the usage passage above!)
the two pair of headphones I've been looking at are the AKG K240 mkII and Audio Technica M50 but I totally can't decide which pair to get 
confused_face(1).gif
tho any other recommendations are welcome too!

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #14,030 of 29,490
hey guys, need help deciding on some cans... this will be my 1st full sized HP's, i've owned yuin PK3(cable got bloody ripped out) & vsonic R02PRO2's (both of these were cool) but am looking for some to use at home & hopefuly big improvement in SQ!

Budget is around $200-$400 dont mind buying used if in good condition.
open or closed.
Music: mostly 80's-90's hip hop & R&B, underground/instrumental hip hop, older soul & funk, & a little rock, accoustic & dance...
Amp: will need one, don't have a clue which? thought i better decide on cans first, another few hundred on amp i'm guessing?
DAC: i've got a chord 64 that i'll use but want to get another to use with pc or maybe good sound card?

I have focal jm lab speakers & love the clean sound but havn't heard too many other speakers or cans. i love bass BUT powerful tight bass NOT overly boomy bass that muddies up the sound!
also something dynamic but musical, want some cans that make me say wow!

a few reccomendations on what would suit would be great.

thanks,
rob

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #14,031 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys, need help deciding on some cans... this will be my 1st full sized HP's, i've owned yuin PK3(cable got bloody ripped out) & vsonic R02PRO2's (both of these were cool) but am looking for some to use at home & hopefuly big improvement in SQ!

Budget is around $200-$400 dont mind buying used if in good condition.
open or closed.
Music: mostly 80's-90's hip hop & R&B, underground/instrumental hip hop, older soul & funk, & a little rock, accoustic & dance...
Amp: will need one, don't have a clue which? thought i better decide on cans first, another few hundred on amp i'm guessing?
DAC: i've got a chord 64 that i'll use but want to get another to use with pc or maybe good sound card?

I have focal jm lab speakers & love the clean sound but havn't heard too many other speakers or cans. i love bass BUT powerful tight bass NOT overly boomy bass that muddies up the sound!
also something dynamic but musical, want some cans that make me say wow!

a few reccomendations on what would suit would be great.

thanks,
rob

If you're alright with a small(ish) sound stage, and fond of a sparkly high-end, then maybe you'd be better off with the Grado SR-325i. They're just under $300 ($295 on Amazon, actually), and they're well-suited to your preferred genres of music. 

I recommend that you audition them first, though. A lot of people love Grado's house sound, but it's not really for everyone. 

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #14,032 of 29,490
Hi Guys. I need new, "stationary" headphones.

I have following hardware at my disposal:
- Cheap mp4 player (however it plays FLACs)
- Fiio E7 amp
- Sennheiser CX300-II portable headphones

I usually listen to following music genres:
- trip hop, downtempo (Massive Attack, Hooverphonic, Faithless)
- house/techno some dance/pop music too (Tiga, Deadmau5, ATB etc)
- acid jazz, alternative (Tab Two, The Cure, Sandbox)
- and almost forgot. 80's too :) (Sandra, Kylie M. etc)

I'm not big bass fan, maybe because all my previous audio speakers produced noisy, swampy bass sound which i disliked. I would be happy with good bass sound but i think mids and highs are more important, instruments separation etc (im not music pro..)

I would like to setup more stationary audio do listen, based on my amp and (maybe) current audio player. Which headphones i should choose? I plan to get my small Senns with new FiiO E5 as portable set and leave my E7 for stationary set, maybe coupled with E9? What do you think? And im thinking about buying iPod because i like the itunes idea.

Budget: ~300$

I'm thinking about Sennheisers HD558 or 598, because their design is atractive to me, but hey.. sound is more important. This is why im posting this ask for advice.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #14,033 of 29,490

Start with a HD598, or maybe a HD600 because of the more neutral bass, though the hD598 is a great place too start. Both of them will benefit form an E9 when you can add one in.
Quote:
Hi Guys. I need new, "stationary" headphones.

I have following hardware at my disposal:
- Cheap mp4 player (however it plays FLACs)
- Fiio E7 amp
- Sennheiser CX300-II portable headphones

I usually listen to following music genres:
- trip hop, downtempo (Massive Attack, Hooverphonic, Faithless)
- house/techno some dance/pop music too (Tiga, Deadmau5, ATB etc)
- acid jazz, alternative (Tab Two, The Cure, Sandbox)
- and almost forgot. 80's too :) (Sandra, Kylie M. etc)

I'm not big bass fan, maybe because all my previous audio speakers produced noisy, swampy bass sound which i disliked. I would be happy with good bass sound but i think mids and highs are more important, instruments separation etc (im not music pro..)

I would like to setup more stationary audio do listen, based on my amp and (maybe) current audio player. Which headphones i should choose? I plan to get my small Senns with new FiiO E5 as portable set and leave my E7 for stationary set, maybe coupled with E9? What do you think? And im thinking about buying iPod because i like the itunes idea.

Budget: ~300$

I'm thinking about Sennheisers HD558 or 598, because their design is atractive to me, but hey.. sound is more important. This is why im posting this ask for advice.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #14,034 of 29,490

Quote:
Start with a HD598, or maybe a HD600 because of the more neutral bass, though the hD598 is a great place too start. Both of them will benefit form an E9 when you can add one in.

HD600s are too expensive. They go for 440$ in my area and i prefer local sites (my country) for shopping. HD598 go for 250$ and they are much more in my financial range.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #14,035 of 29,490
Hey guys any opinions on this? 

Quote:

Moving this from my other thread. I didn't know this thread was here!

Hey all,

This might sound stupid but
redface.gif
 , Im thinking of dumping my Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's for something i find a bit more aesthetically pleasing, like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the Shure SRH-840. I've looked around at different headphones and haven't really seen a pair i'd be comfortable wearing in public, aside from these (purely preference).
Now from my understanding my DJ1 Pros are a step (or two?) up from the ATH-M50's and SRH-840's, my question is, will i hate the sound of the M50's or SRH-840's after using my DJ1 Pros? Is it going to be a dramatic change?

Let me know what yall think!

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #14,038 of 29,490
I'm in the market for a good pair of headphones. This will be the first pair of headphones I've paid more than $20 for, so I don't really know where to start. I'm open to ALL types and styles, I'm just looking for the best quality sound below $100. Just like anything else out there, I'm sure there are headphones that are below $100 that are equivalent to something much more expensive. That's what I'm looking for.

I would prefer closed-style circumaural, but I'm open to any and all other styles if they generally sound better.

I'm going to be using these in all different situations and environments, as these will be my only pair of headphones, but primarily at home through my computer, without an amp. I'm going to be using them for YouTube and other internet-based sound, Winamp for mp3s and FLAC, and The KMPlayer for movies. But I primarily want a good pair for music.

I'm not that familiar with describing words etc., but I'll give my best to explain the sound and EQ I like. I listen to a lot of different types of rock. Here is my Last.fm profile. To sum up that link: Tool, Nine Inch Nails, and experimental rock are my most listened to bands, so I listen to a wide variety of instruments and overlayed sounds. I'm primarily a high bass/high treble fan, but I would like a pair of headphones that let you hear and pick out each instrument and won't drown out or distort vocals or certain frequencies. I would prefer accuracy opposed to banging/over-bearing distorted bass and piercing headache highs, if that makes any sense. For example, in a car I would prefer a good pair of 6x9s plus a pair of 10" subs over a set of banging 12" subs.

Sorry if that sounds too specific. I prefer more bass/treble compared to mids, but don't want to totally drown out or distort any frequency. I'm not trying to necessarily limit or disqualify certain headphones if they actually sound really good. I would be open to a pair that focus on mids, as long as they can be adjusted with and EQ.

Right now I'm debating between Sony MDR-V6 (most reviews I've read say they sound identical to or better than the 7506 at a cheaper price), Marshall Major, Sennheiser HD-280, and Grado S80i. The Sony MDR-V6 are cheaper than the other 3. Can anybody tell me if those other 3 choices are that much better than the MDR-V6, and which one (if any) you would go with? Or am I way off base and should be looking at something completely different?

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #14,039 of 29,490
Hi there,

im looking for an Upgrade for my AD700. I love them for gaming but for DnB or something more Bassy they are quite lacking.

Im thinking of buying another pair of Cans purely for Music/Movies but i cant really decide what to get, so far i have the usual Suspects in mind:

880 (600Ohm)
Q/K 701   <- very pricey: Germany->340€(~440$) US 265$
HD 600/650  <- i dont like the looks of them(and same as the AKG's in the money department)

Any Suggestions?

Also im using a Xonar STX and my Budget is ~400$

Thanks in Advance :=)

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #14,040 of 29,490
Quote:
(...)I'm just looking for the best quality sound below $100. Just like anything else out there, I'm sure there are headphones that are below $100 that are equivalent to something much more expensive. That's what I'm looking for.(...)

I'm sure that sentence "You got, what you paid for" is correct in many situations. If you will pay 100$ you will get sound worth 100$. If you pay 1000$ you will get more. Its all about what you can call "good sound for me".
I can't agree that you can find something below 100$ which sounds like 300$. You can lie to yourself hearing it but it will be just lie :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back