++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #13,666 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
You're right, the CAL are less neutral than the HM5. If you sweat while jogging, though, it might not be a good idea to be wearing over-ears at all, as it might damage the pads at the very least.

I see your point. I'd probably just use it more for walks in and around the university and park.

Quote:
Remember that the CAL! is a sub $100 can (was $54 when I bought one late last year) and the HM 5 is at least $120 or so .  That's quite a spread.  There just aren't many under $100 cans that provide a reasonably full, clear and accurate sound across most of the audible frequency range.  The CAL! does that quite well and in a fun and natural way.

Tyll Hertsens (now) at Inner Fidelity put it like this:

"The Creative Aurvana Live! sounds great! Overall these cans have a warm tilt with a bit of excitement up top. The bass extension is very good, though could be a little bit tighter sounding. The bass is tastefully accentuated, but not bloated or wooly in the least. The mids connect very naturally to the low notes and would call them excellent but for being slightly overshadowed by the happy highs. The treble, though a tad prominent is very well controlled and articulate, and only slightly edgy on occasion.

Treble clarity and coherence does deliver a good sense of depth with these headphones, and the imaging is good as well. The dynamics are good but not great, missing out on the last bit of needed tightness in the lows to achieve that status.

When compared to the similarly priced and also excellent Sony MDR-ZX700, I found the Sony to have a stronger and more organically balanced mid-range; possibly superior for vocals. But the Sony's bass was not as satisfactory as the CAL!. I slightly prefered the CAL! to the Shure SRH440 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 due to the less aggressive highs.

All-in-all the sonic performance of these headphones is simply outstanding for the price, and would still be a contender at five times the price."

Link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

It seems just when I'm close to making up my mind, something gets in the way. 70% of the music I listen to are vocal-oriented (Blues, Sufi music, Soul, etc) - don't know if I should still go for the CAL! or start looking at the Sony MDR-ZX700. Do mids even matter that much in the genre's I listed (I'm new to this whole thing so please excuse my lack of knowledge)?
The CAL!'s are $73 on Amazon right now, I don't know if I can justify spending that if it won't suit the type of music I generally listen to.

Yeah, I think the mids will matter to you.

Quote:
hey what headphones in sennheiser (over ear or on ear) would be good sounding in metal in dubstep? how about shure srh440 do they sound good in both genre? i will use it with fiio E11. still can't decide what headphones will buy. thanks

(budget:$100)

Maybe the Shure SRH750DJ would work for you.

Quote:
Budget: CAD $150

Genre: Mostly trance, house, techno, hardstyle, dubstep, mostly bass heavy genres. But also rock and ambient.

Sound signature: I like bass, but not XB700 style. I also like a little bit of a bright/air-y sound. Neutral/flat are okay too.

Usage: Mostly home, but portable would be a plus. Music 80% of the time and games 20%.

Open/Closed: Leaning towards closed, but open if they have decent bass.

Amp'd: PAV2V2

Previous Cans: SR125, ATH-ES7, current pair Equation Audio RP21s.

I've looked at the ATH-M50s, and ATH-AD900s.

Probably DJ-type stuff like the M50s, HFI780/580s, etc. Between those, it can come down to personal preference, as they have similar-ish sounds.

Quote:
Okay, which is the better amp..... Fiio E7 or Fiio E11?

From what I've read, at least, the amp section on the E11 is stronger than the E7s, so if you don't need the DAC functionality, save your money.

Quote:
I'm looking for something under $250 (used off Amazon) with good comfort/sound. I would also like some portability, but that is not a necessity. I listen to a little of everything, but I like my bass to be felt. I also like vocals to be up front. I don't like when the sound is distant, so more in your face, I guess. I would prefer them to be closed back, but if open would be a better option, then sure. I have no amp, nor do I really want one, so low impedance so I can play music from my phone; but I do have a karaoke machine (haha) that can power speakers bigger than my big head with a 1/4" headphone jack on it, and I'd like to see what it can do. 

I'd say try the D2000s, but they might not do it for vocals.

Quote:
Looking for a set of headphones ~150 bucks. An FiiO E5 is my only amp, and I'm going to use these on the buss and train, mostly, so they need to be at least semi-closed. I listen to all sorts of music and have no real preference in that regard.

The local stores around me have these to offer:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm (will they even work properly if Im connecting them to only an e5? (connected to an android phone))

KRK KNS-8400

An assortment of Grados (SR60i-325i and all inbetween)

EDIT:

They are also selling DT 1350 80ohm and "Sennheiser HD25 Basic Edition" (what is that about?)

Definitely not Grados, but the M50s and KNS8400s could both work. If you can get the DT1350s at your price, that could work as well, though they tend towards bright and clamp a bit more, though they isolate a ton. No idea what the Basic edition is, but if there's no split headband, it's the SP version, which is markedly inferior. 

Quote:
My headphone budget just got nerfed to $40 :frowning2: I was originally going to get the Superlux 668bs but they are over my budget at Amazon. I'm looking mainly one with comfort that is either closed or semi-open. These are my first set of cans so I'm pretty sure for $40 i'll be blown away. I plan to purchase it with a Xonar DG. I was thinking about these 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHIPYI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A4ZCCZG0CD10DBT1JDG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846  Superlux 681

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OWPV4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A4ZCCZG0CD10DBT1JDG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846  JVC HA RX 700

http://www.amazon.com/CAD-Audio-MH310-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B004OA6WOA CAD Audio MH310 (closed version of the Sampson SR850's I think)

I read issues with clamping pressure and comfort with the Superlux's and the CAD and that might be an issue for me. I think I have a normal sized head. I was also going to mod the JVC's if I got them.

I'd still go with the Superluxes or the Sampson 850

Quote:
alright thanks, any thoughts of what kind of PMP i should get with m50's? sony walkman or sansa clip+?

Anything will probably work... The sansa clip+ is a very popular choice however, and it's quite affordable.

Quote:
What headphone would you guys recomend for rock,bass heavy, and closed for under 200 bux

D2000 (open box), M50, HFI780/580, Crossfade LP2, XB500 (for all bass), etc.

Quote:
I've got $200-250 of company money to spend and am looking to try and make the right decision.  I was originally after something somewhat portable for my commute, with my main purpose also being noise isolation at work, and so actually went out and purchased some V-Moda Crossfade LP2's.  I really like their build quality and accessories, but unfortunately they seem a bit uncomfortable thus far, and I'm not entirely sold on the sound.  Will probably be returning them.  I've switched gears a bit and am less concerned about portability, and would prefer to get the best sounding for my genre while still isolating well with no leakage. 

My main interests are: 

* comfort 
* noise isolation and low leakage
- *somewhat* portable in that they at least come with some type of case/bag (likely wont use these for my commute most days)
- ideally a remove-able cord, though not a deal breaker. 

My main music genres are things like rock, alternative ect.  A lot of 90's classics. 

I've been looking into Senn HD 380's, Shure 840's, AKG 271 MKII's and Fischer FA-003's (among many others!)

My concerns with the Shure's are I've heard they can be somewhat heavy and not all that comfortable.  The 380's seem to have mixed reviews on sound, and the AKG 271's may just be a bit too non-portable (no bag/case even mentioned) though I could work around this if they'd fit my other criteria, and I'm having a hard time tracking down a site to buy the FA-003's from.    Any comments or advice for comfort/noise isolation being my main concerns, that'd be good with those music genres in the $200 range? Its not my money, and I'm unlikely to be able to afford a similar purchase in the near future, so would like to try and get this one "right"!

I second a look into the HM5s, which may be more comfortable than the Shures.

Quote:
Hey all, I listen to a wide variety of genres (blues, jazz, funk, R&B, prog rock, post-punk, alt/indie rock, hip-hop, electronic) and am looking for a nice neutral pair of headphones to go with an FiiO E10 DAC/amp as my first audiophile purchase. High-quality source, home-listening situations. Two models I have been looking at are the Brainwavz HM5 and the AKG Q701. With the FiiO E10, do you think that I would experience significantly better performance out of the latter as compared to the former? (The latter is about $100 more expensive.)

For home use only, the Q701 is the technically better headphone, and an E10 might be enough to tide you over until you can buy a more powerful amp.

Quote:
Hey guys and gals,
I'm looking to purchase a pair of headphones, but which one?
1. Shure srh 440
2. Sony MDR-V6
3. Sennheiser HD-280 Pro

Basically I need the headphones to get good bass as well as mids and highs unamped, but which sounds best unamped?

I listen to
Classical (Morricone, choral, holst etc.)
Hip-Hop/ Rap
Rock

My budget needs to be less than $100,

Thanks

Look into the Creative Aurvana Lives. None of these will need an amp, and I think you'll find the general consensus is that the CALs are the best-sounding. They're moderately warm, with a bass emphasis.

Quote:
Hello head-fi.org,

I'm upgrading my personal computer accessories and after everything I already upgraded (mouse,keyboard,monitor), I've arrived at my headphones.

I've been using the Sennheiser HD215s for about a year and a half now, along with a Logitech G330's DAC I had lying around (the main thing I notice is that it boosts the bass & volume).
After all the things I've already purchased I'm thinking 150 euros should do for an upgrade to the headphones I have right now, you might think otherwise.

I'm here to ask if 150 euros are enough to upgrade now or if I should wait and get something along with an amp maybe.
I think I would enjoy an amp for on my desk but I'm guessing along with a new pair of headphones that would be a bit outside of my budget right now.

The thing I use my headphones for the most is listening to music throughout the day, various genres but mostly electronic with a fair amount of bass, here's my tag cloud.

I would like to hear what you guys have to say about this because I do not know how to make a decent audio purchase, hence the HD215s which I got for 100 euros at the time
triportsad.gif

A big thanks already to everyone that contributes to this thread.

tl;dr what would you do if you think HD215s aren't doing your lossless music justice, you had a cheap usb dac, a 150 euros budget and listened to music all day long?

Protip: If something costs 150 USD, it'll probably end up costing me 150 euros including shipping etc.

M50, HFI780

Quote:
Quote:
hifinoob005 said:

I was just about to go for the XB500's, but they are out of stock locally, so i am looking at the CAL!'s, i wanted to know from someone who has listened to the CAL!'s if they do well for low freq fast paced music?

Quote:
50an6xy06r6n said:

I don't think the CAL! really need amping, as they're consumer-oriented, though they may improve with amping. I imagine they'll work pretty well with techno and electronica,  but beyond that, you'll have to ask someone who's heard them. The K81s might also work, but my impression of the XB500s was that they felt a little slow. 

Hi guys,
So I eventually got the XB500's, listened for a few days and them returned them. Basically I found them not engaging enough and the detail of the mids and highs was lacking, had some Panasonic HTF600 before these which were way better. I could not get them to sound the way I wanted not even by changing the EQ, they just sounded very dull. The other headphones i wanted to get are the CAL!'s, but I don't want to get them if they are neutral. So my question is if the CAL!'s will be fun to listen as well as give enough detail (detail for the HTF's was fine), and if not what could I get under 200 USD?

under $200, you can get anything from the M50/HFI780 crowd to portables like the M80 and HD25-1

Quote:
Hey guys, been a long time. Anyways, im looking for a new can preferrably within $100 range. I have a cmoy bbv2.02 amp so thats not a problem there. Im currently still enjoying my es-7s but would like to try something else.

Creative Aurvana Live? However, the sound might be a little too similar to your current headphones. For something bassy, try the XB500s, and for something bright/neutral, maybe the HM5.

Quote:
hi, im looking for headphones that will be used for 75% rock and 25% rap. i need them to be closed. my budget is $150 but it can be expanded a little.  i like forward mids and a good amount of bass (similar amount as the ath m50 provides). if their is nothing that is good for both, then please recomend headphones that are good for rock (as i already have good sounding headphones for rap).

Does this post mean you already have a pair of M50s, or you've heard them?

Quote:
i'm from india ..i'm planning to buy id america spark since its been in half price for long time but it seems amazon doesn't ships outside US..

http://www.amazon.com/America-Spark-InEar-Headphones-Black/dp/B006ZH2U2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333333225&sr=8-1
ir

so please tell me some reliable websites to buy id america spark which ships to india(free shippin appreciated) around the same price tag?

You'd be better off asking in a dedicated thread, or emailing the manufacturer or something.

Quote:
Hello ! 

Just got the Denon AH D2000 and I'm no impressed nor like the sound quality... a 350$ (although payed 229$) phone that sounds to me like your in a cave cmon! this sucks., compare to the Sony's MDRV6 and Grados 225i I prefer any one over the Denon's. I agree they have great bass but the mids are way to recessed.

Any way, looking for a suggestion  on a great can for around 229$.

I mostly hear electronic, rock, indie, pop, and any thing really :) with iPod Classic 5G and Fiio e11

Thanks

Brainwavz HM5?

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for a headphone in the range of $200-$300. My music tastes are really varied so I'm looking for something versatile. I've been using Sennheiser HD555's for the past 2 years and I like Sennheiser since they're headphones are so comfortable and I can literally wear them for the whole day without any discomfort. For open/closed, I'm planning to use them in a private environment so I'd like to stay with open. Since I don't really have THAT much money to spend, I'd prefer something that doesn't absolutely need a powerful amp, or if possible could be driven with a relatively cheap one that would keep me somewhere around my price range.

I thought Audio Technica AD900's would be a good idea since they're open, comfortable, pretty cheap, and don't really need an amp, but I've also heard they're quite lacking in bass which would kind of suck because I listen to quite a bit of drum and bass. However, if anyone has them and disagrees, please share. Other than those, I've taken a look at the AKG Q701 which sparked my interest, but those are kind of pushing my price range. Anyway, recommending an amp or dac with a model of headphones would be cool too. Thanks!

Yeah, the logical step up would be the HD598s, since you know you like the Sennheiser sound, and they work decently without amping.

Quote:
Hi there,

I've been lurking these forums for the past few weeks as I've grown an interest in entering the audiophile world (mid-fi at most).  I've been using a pair of Sennheiser PX100 for my home and outside use from my Cowon S9, desktop computer, and smartphone but feel like I want something better.

I have looked around the forums, reading recommendations and reviews but feel like I'm going in circles.  I have however, taken an interest in the AKG K550, Q701, D2000, and AD900.  I am not considering Shure's SH840 since my friend has a pair and would like something else so we can compare.

My taste in music fall under a few things:

- Classical
- Jazz
- Rock
- Pop
- Trance
- Most tracks consists of a female vocalist

I'm not too sure what I'm really looking for in sound, but I do enjoy listening to the vocals, piano, strings, bass guitar, and drums (but not bass heavy).  There's no concern for portability as I'll mostly be using them at home and maybe long road trips at most.  They do have to be comfortable though.

My budget is $400 CAD so around 300-350 USD due to difference in price.  Also, if the headphones require an amp, please feel free to recommend one as well.  My budget for an amp if I need one is $150 but have been looking at the Fiio e10 and Matrix M-stage.

All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

From those 2 sources, it sounds like you'll need something closed and at least a little portable. That rules out the Q701 and AD900 for sure. At least from the couple reviews I've read, it sounds like the K550 may work for your varied genres, but you'll have to read the reviews yourself. If not, also add the Brainwavz HM5 to your list for consideration. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #13,667 of 29,490
Since my UM3X's left earpiece died for the second time in two years I'd like a backup to use at work.

Budget: $300 - $600

Genre(s): Instrumental, Rock, Electronic (trance, house, ambient), Hip-hop and rap

Sound signature: I currently use the Westone UM3X's almost exclusively and really enjoy its sound signature so I would guess very deep impacting bass (don't need a lot of quantity but quality), very good mids and decent highs.

Usage: Shared office; isolation and preventing leakage are pretty important here

Open/Closed: Closed

Amp and/or DAC: Currently running Audinst HUD-MX1 to a Matrix M-Stage

Previous Gear: Westone UM3X, Klipsch Custom 3, JVC-Victor FX500

Appreciate any recommendations! 

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #13,669 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for a headphone in the range of $200-$300. My music tastes are really varied so I'm looking for something versatile. I've been using Sennheiser HD555's for the past 2 years and I like Sennheiser since they're headphones are so comfortable and I can literally wear them for the whole day without any discomfort. For open/closed, I'm planning to use them in a private environment so I'd like to stay with open. Since I don't really have THAT much money to spend, I'd prefer something that doesn't absolutely need a powerful amp, or if possible could be driven with a relatively cheap one that would keep me somewhere around my price range.

The HD598 is as high as Sennheiser goes without the need for an amp. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #13,670 of 29,490

Quote:

$400 CAD is $400 USD

True, but in a lot of cases prices are still higher here.  A $250 USD headphone on amazon.com will often be $300+ CAD up here.  If you can find a US source to ship it here thats great, of course then you may get tied up with customs costs ect.  I find most US sources that ship to Canada have higher prices similar to the shops up here anyways, unfortunately. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #13,671 of 29,490

HD598! Easy to drive, will benefit from the E11, lots of soundstage but still having good bass. You'll like it! (i think)

Quote:
Hello ! 

Just got the Denon AH D2000 and I'm no impressed nor like the sound quality... a 350$ (although payed 229$) phone that sounds to me like your in a cave cmon! this sucks., compare to the Sony's MDRV6 and Grados 225i I prefer any one over the Denon's. I agree they have great bass but the mids are way to recessed.

Any way, looking for a suggestion  on a great can for around 229$.

I mostly hear electronic, rock, indie, pop, and any thing really :) with iPod Classic 5G and Fiio e11

Thanks

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #13,672 of 29,490
Have to add to the recommendations of HD598. I think you'd like them, but I do recommend you getting some kind of amp, even a cheap one like the E11 or E9. I feel it does its best with a little more juice. But stay away from the AGK701. So tough to amp well.

Quote:

I thought Audio Technica AD900's would be a good idea since they're open, comfortable, pretty cheap, and don't really need an amp, but I've also heard they're quite lacking in bass which would kind of suck because I listen to quite a bit of drum and bass. However, if anyone has them and disagrees, please share. Other than those, I've taken a look at the AKG Q701 which sparked my interest, but those are kind of pushing my price range. Anyway, recommending an amp or dac with a model of headphones would be cool too. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #13,673 of 29,490

Quote:
HD598! Easy to drive, will benefit from the E11, lots of soundstage but still having good bass. You'll like it! (i think)

Hi Thanks! yes i've been reading and looking at the HD598, dont like too much the look's cos they look overkill to me, but still very elegant and appear very comfortable. What do you think of the HD600 or 650?

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #13,674 of 29,490
I am new to this and would like some opinions on my first purchase of higher quality headphones.  I am looking in the $150-200 range. I listen to a variety of music genres/subgenres including Dance/Trance/Techno/Dubstep/Rap/Hip Hop/Rock/Metal/Pop/Electronic/Classical.  I am looking for something that lets me enjoy this wide variety of music and will last me a while.

Also can anyone recommend some good DJ headphones around the same price range. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #13,675 of 29,490

Quote:
I am new to this and would like some opinions on my first purchase of higher quality headphones.  I am looking in the $150-200 range. I listen to a variety of music genres/subgenres including Dance/Trance/Techno/Dubstep/Rap/Hip Hop/Rock/Metal/Pop/Electronic/Classical.  I am looking for something that lets me enjoy this wide variety of music and will last me a while.

Also can anyone recommend some good DJ headphones around the same price range. Thanks!

I'm going to recommend on what i've have and heard. I own the Sony's MDR V6 which for the value I consider an awesome phone (neutral) and the Grados 225i that just got last week is amazingly excellent for rock, specially the beatles, or Muse, etc.

Dj cans I recommend the Pioneers HDJ 2000 (J&R has it 229$, call and ask for a discount) and the Panasonic-Technics RP-DJ1200A now in Amazon for 99$

Cheers

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #13,676 of 29,490
Do you mean appearance? They're kind of like a pleather luxury car dash board in appearance; I think they look kind of dumb but they are super comfy and really light. I adore the HD600 but it is harder to drive. You at least to need to throw a Fiio E9 amp at it. I bet you'd probably like the HD650 more, unless you're really into classical music. An E9 can drive them but they also upgrade really if you get better amps. But i wouldn't really go down the HD600/650 road unless you're going to amp.

Quote:
Hi Thanks! yes i've been reading and looking at the HD598, dont like too much the look's cos they look overkill to me, but still very elegant and appear very comfortable. What do you think of the HD600 or 650?

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #13,677 of 29,490

Quote:
Do you mean appearance? They're kind of like a pleather luxury car dash board in appearance; I think they look kind of dumb but they are super comfy and really light. I adore the HD600 but it is harder to drive. You at least to need to throw a Fiio E9 amp at it. I bet you'd probably like the HD650 more, unless you're really into classical music. An E9 can drive them but they also upgrade really if you get better amps. But i wouldn't really go down the HD600/650 road unless you're going to amp.

haha Yes the appearance, exactly they are inspired on a european luxury car as i've read.  I really would like to hear and own the 650 :) and between the Fiio E9 and the Little Dot amp? Although I would prefer a portable amp.

Thanks

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #13,678 of 29,490
Portable amp is going to be tough to give the required juice--unless you want to spend $300 (for like a headstage arrow, etc.). You could read up on the Objective 2 which is kind of portable and definitely cheaper. But the E9 is not that big if its just around your house; that's what I do. If you're ok moving the headphones, the amp is not a huge step. I'd stay with a solid state amp rather than a tube amp because the HD650 already has a warmish sound. Tube amps can have a cooler sound, too, but there really aren't as many good deals for performance to price ration.

Quote:
haha Yes the appearance, exactly they are inspired on a european luxury car as i've read.  I really would like to hear and own the 650 :) and between the Fiio E9 and the Little Dot amp? Although I would prefer a portable amp.

Thanks

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #13,679 of 29,490

Quote:

I have no experince with either these headphone, but the usual recommendation for this price and use are:
For your music: Audio Technica M50
For DJing: Sennheiser HD-25 II

Edit: I'm sure someone with a bit more experience will second this recommendation.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #13,680 of 29,490

I'm looking for a new pair of closed-back circumaural headphones for use in the office.  I'm a web developer, and I work in a large, open room with other employees nearby (including the Help Desk, which gets a lot of phone calls).

Currently using:
Sennheiser HD 515: These used to be my main headphones at home before I upgraded to the HD 558.  Since they're open-back, isolation is pretty much non-existent.  I rarely ever use these.
Panasonic RP-HC55: As you'd expect from noise-cancelling IEMs, isolation is amazing.  Unfortunately, I can only wear these for 2 hours at the most before they become too uncomfortable.

Main priorties:
Noise Isolation:  As a developer, being able to shut out the outside world is very desirable.  It allows me to better focus on my work, and get into "the zone".  But just as important -- if not more -- is preventing sound from leaking out.  My taste in music includes a number of guilty pleasures, so I sure as hell don't anybody to hear what I'm listening to. lol
Comfort: I plan to be wearing my headphones for several hours a day, so they definitely need to be comfortable.

Other important factors:
Sound Quality:  Obviously sound quality is important, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this on head-fi.  That being said, the above criteria take precedence, so I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for better isolation and/or comfort.
No Need for Amplification:  Even though these headphones will only be used in the office, I'm going to be doing all my listening from my laptop (which I pack up and take home everyday).  So I'd rather not have the extra step -- and clutter -- of connecting/disconnecting an amp.  Plus, there's the additional costs involved, as well as the time/effort to research what amp to purchase.

Type of Headphones:
Style: Closed-back circumaural headphones.  I'm open to either active noise-cancelling or passive noise isolation.
Characteristics: I enjoy listening to hip hop, and I used to be very into car audio. So I definitely love me some bass.  But I like clean, tight bass with nice impact, not the overpowering, diarrhea sound crap you hear people bumping from their Civics.  I love to feel the beat, but I've always believed that it's the highs/mids that should shine.  Especially since I like to listen to Alternative Rock and Pop as well.  And some of my guilty pleasures that I've mentioned above are slow songs with strong female vocals.  I am aware that I'm unlikely to find headphones of any kind that'll give me the best of both worlds.  That's why I've still yet to replace my HD 558s (I love these headphones, but they suck for Hip Hop).  So I'm not expecting much.  And like I said, isolation and comfort are the most important factors.

What I'll be listening to:
Music:  90% of my listening will music.  Although, I won't be listening to a lot of FLACs (that's for home).  I'll be listening mostly to streaming sites like Last.fm, TuneIn, and Spotify.  So the source won't be of the highest quality, so I'll want some fun headphones that are forgiving.
Movies/TV: Every now and then, I'll be in the mood to stream something from Netflix.  I typically like to listen to comedy since I don't need to pay very much attention.  But if it's a slow day at work, I'll pull up an action or drama flick and get paid to watch that for 2 hours.  lol

Music Genres:
Hip Hop/Rap: 40%
Alternative Rock: 30%
Pop/Top 40: 20%
If you live in Souther California, basically the stuff you hear on Power, KROQ, and KIIS.

Price range:
Under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back