++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 30, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #13,518 of 29,490

Quote:
@hyogen

Don't have any in that price range, but I do have a Superlux.  So based on what I have read (and heard--sort of) the Superlux or even cheaper Monoprice 8323 appear to be good choices.

You might also want to check out these:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

thank you.  I'll check that out

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #13,519 of 29,490
If he's your friend, it won't hurt to spend $50 and getting him the Superlux 668B's

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #13,520 of 29,490
My current headphones are breaking, and It's time to get some new ones.

My spending limit is around $300, and I'm looking for closed, circumaural cans with good isolation. I listen to a lot of trance, happy hardcore, dance, dubstep, Rap and pop. That covers a few diverse genres but basically most of my music is heavy on electronic music with good bass. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't care if sound leaks into the headphones, I'm more worried about sound leaking out when the volume is cranked

I also have an amp built into my sound card so I'm not worried about weather a pair of headphones need an amp or not.

Looking forward to some suggestions!

Thanks,

Brad

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #13,521 of 29,490

Quote:
My current headphones are breaking, and It's time to get some new ones.

My spending limit is around $300, and I'm looking for closed, circumaural cans with good isolation. I listen to a lot of trance, happy hardcore, dance, dubstep, Rap and pop. That covers a few diverse genres but basically most of my music is heavy on electronic music with good bass. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't care if sound leaks into the headphones, I'm more worried about sound leaking out when the volume is cranked

I also have an amp built into my sound card so I'm not worried about weather a pair of headphones need an amp or not.

Looking forward to some suggestions!

Thanks,

Brad

HFI780/580, M50, LP2, D1100

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #13,522 of 29,490

Quote:
If he's your friend, it won't hurt to spend $50 and getting him the Superlux 668B's

eventually i want to get him something way nicer.. we were each other's best man.  for birthdays I think we try to stay around the 20-30 range for now, though :) 

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #13,524 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I am looking for a portable headphone amplifier for my Ultrasone HFI 2400. My spending limit is around 70-80 dollars. What do you recommend? I am getting an amp mainly because the bass is clipping unamped on the 2400s. Many people recommended me the Fiio E11, but are there any better choices for the same money?

Thanks,

LazBro123

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #13,525 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,
I am looking for a portable headphone amplifier for my Ultrasone HFI 2400. My spending limit is around 70-80 dollars. What do you recommend? I am getting an amp mainly because the bass is clipping unamped on the 2400s. Many people recommended me the Fiio E11, but are there any better choices for the same money?
Thanks,
LazBro123

For $20 more you can get a ZO2.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #13,526 of 29,490
Hey awesome Head Fi members,
I have AKG 271 MK II's and I'm using the longer of the two included cables which is the coiled one. I get to around 10ft and it's starting to pull on my head, so I find when I'm racing F1 video games at night or early in the morning and don't want to wake up my wife or the baby I actually have to pull the couch forward a foot so the headphones still sit normally on my head.

I really could use just 2ft extra leeway on the cable, but it sounds like the only extension cable is actually a REPLACEMENT cable, the AKG 500S 16.5ft which reviews state works out to around 10ft or room (because it's 16ft coiled).

Is there any options to get an extension cable that actually EXTENDS rather than replaces? I'm guessing a simple female > male small stereo headphone cable would do the trick right? Anyone done this and recommend a specific kind to get or would just buying from Monoprice be okay if they have such a thing.
Cheers!
~doby

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #13,527 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

LazBro123

Also check out the Cmoy amps. Not a ton more good portables at that price i don't think

Quote:
Hey awesome Head Fi members,
I have AKG 271 MK II's and I'm using the longer of the two included cables which is the coiled one. I get to around 10ft and it's starting to pull on my head, so I find when I'm racing F1 video games at night or early in the morning and don't want to wake up my wife or the baby I actually have to pull the couch forward a foot so the headphones still sit normally on my head.

I really could use just 2ft extra leeway on the cable, but it sounds like the only extension cable is actually a REPLACEMENT cable, the AKG 500S 16.5ft which reviews state works out to around 10ft or room (because it's 16ft coiled).

Is there any options to get an extension cable that actually EXTENDS rather than replaces? I'm guessing a simple female > male small stereo headphone cable would do the trick right? Anyone done this and recommend a specific kind to get or would just buying from Monoprice be okay if they have such a thing.
Cheers!
~doby

Yeah, a male-female extension should do the trick.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #13,528 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks,
LazBro123

I think that the e11 is the best choice...

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #13,529 of 29,490
Edit: The HM5's have been bought. Hopefully I'll like 'em!
Quote:
The thing is that the HM5s have a more neutral sound that may not give you the darker, bassier sound you're used to and are looking for. However, if you're willing to try this sound, that would be a good choice.

Quote:
Whoops, my bad... I think I was about to reconsider my arbitrary use of a gendered pronoun, but figured that the chances of being wrong were pretty small anyway... That'll show me to assume stuff like that. 
tongue.gif
 Hi.

Quote:
The D2000 and AKG Q 701 would give you very different sound signatures from two excellent mid-fi cans.  One is very good chocolate ice cream and the other strawberry ice cream.

Unfortunately I was unable to buy the Denon D2000s from the buyer after all. 
So back to the drawing board! ... Or advice thread. :D 

I have been thinking more about it, and it's probably true that I am used to the bassier sound. But I have read reviews on the HM5 and heard that their bass still has quite an impact, if not so warm in sound. I am not too sure what "neutral: the way the music was meant to be heard" means... although I am only going to guess that means flat-equalizer sound? 

Anyway, I am still considering the HM5 because of the MP4nation special. For $200 it could come with an amp... which I have only done a little bit of research on and it seems like it'll help push the headphones to new height.

On the other hand, I could get the Q701 from Amazon for $268. And if I get a FiiO E10 with that, it'll push over the $300 limit that I want to spend. The Q701s should be amped though, right?

I suppose I want to ask how different the HM5 is from Q701? Is it only in clarity in detail? I understand the soundstage should also be bigger on the Q701... but since I am coming from the D1K/CAL! I am guessing I will be impressed with the soundstage improvement from HM5 anyway...?

I think I am deciding leaning towards the HM5. Would anyone have any warnings against this? (I also have a hunch like it might be a FOTM...?)

But I would like to ask if it's unheard of to get a "middle-man" in Head-fi? Like someone who could buy the Denon AHD2000 from Elec-Expo and could ship to Canada and I could pay for everything? It seems sketchy, but I think it's been done in Geekhack before. But then, GH is a much smaller community I think... I'd do a request thread at the classified to ask, but it appears I don't have the post qualifications yet. =_=

Would there be any other recommendations for me? Just a recap that I listen to: Soundtracks (which I would say is synthetic classical...? Mixed with electronic), pop, R'n'B, a little jazz. And yes, I am coming from a more warm sound, but I wouldn't mind trying something new.

PS. Ahaha, it's alright. I feel like females seem to be a minority in technology forums. You never know though. Lurkers + not a lot of people ever say what their gender is on forums, people usually assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back