++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #13,441 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there any way you could link me to some of the products you're listing? I can't tell if some of them are separate or if they're all one product, i'm sorry i'm pretty illiterate at this stuff, computer building is my forté :p
Also, between the Senn 600's and the Denon AH-D5000's, which would you choose and why?

The amp company names that I mentioned are:

Topping

FiiO

HiFiMan

Beyond that you can google the individual cans and amps as well as I can.  You can also find most on Amazon.

The HD 600 and D5000 are different flavors of good.  The Senns are an open can and have a high quality neutral signature.  With the 600's there is not much to dislike.  The question is: do you like their neutral straight up sound? 

I have experience with only the Denon D2000 and D7000, but form those reference points and reading about the closed D5000, it is (when compared to the Senn) a more forward, bass present and fun can--while at the same time not straying too far from neutral.  It will probably give you less sound stage than the open Senn.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #13,442 of 29,490

Quote:
The amp company names that I mentioned are:

Topping

FiiO

HiFiMan

Beyond that you can google the individual cans and amps as well as I can.  You can also find most on Amazon.

The HD 600 and D5000 are different flavors of good.  The Senns are an open can and have a high quality neutral signature.  With the 600's there is not much to dislike.  The question is: do you like their neutral straight up sound? 

I have experience with only the Denon D2000 and D7000, but form those reference points and reading about the closed D5000, it is (when compared to the Senn) a more forward, bass present and fun can--while at the same time not straying too far from neutral.  It will probably give you less sound stage than the open Senn.

Well, like I said, as "high end" as I have experience with is hd 555's, the bass could be better, since it seems rather flat given the genre's of music that i'm into, but it has amazing clarity etc otherwise.
and what do you mean less of a sound stage?

/e
what circumstances would change if i were to increase my budget by around 300-400, making total around 8-9? i do have graduation from hs coming up soon, so i could always use some of the money for that :p

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #13,443 of 29,490
Hey. I'm looking for headphones to use instead of full blown computer speakers since they would disturb the rest of the house too much. So I'd like a headphone that's gonna sound great for movies, games and music. Preferably noise canceling. I got a very small budget (40$-60$) but I got a 50$ card for a local store. Here's what the store carries that would fit my budget of max 110$:

Numark Redwave, Sennheiser HD280 PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-M20,  ATH-M40FS, AKG K99, Stanton DJPRO2000S, Shure SHR440, Idancestudio SeDJ700, Audio-Technica ATH-M30 and Sennheiser HD203.

Anything in there that would be good enough? And if not, what headphones should I go with.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #13,444 of 29,490
Posted this in the /r/headphones subreddit, thought I would see what you guys think...
[size=small] So I'll be studying abroad this summer and I am looking for some decent headphones that I will inevitably be taking places. Whether it is waiting in lines, on planes, or just walking around. This is my first major purchase of headphones outside of the crummy $10 range.[/size]

[size=small] I'll be playing music just from my, er, Zune HD...[/size]

[size=small] After looking around several guides for my price range, I have narrowed it down to a few:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. [1] Sennheiser HD 205-II
  2. [2] Koss Pro DJ100 - Available at places like BestBuy where I can try them within the store's 30-day warranty and take them back if they are just not working for me.
  3. [3] Shure SRH440 - Apparently these are great... only after you buy 840 pads? Seems like a hastle, and I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to change these.
  4. [4] AKG K 172 HD - Great deal on these, but I've read these don't produce as much volume, and I'm not sure how well I could enjoy these without an amp?

[/size] [size=small] Should I be looking into the [5] Sennheiser HD 439, [6] KRK KNS-6400, or [7] ATH AD700 as well?[/size]

[size=small] I am generally looking for portability, isolation, and closed headphones that not too much sound will leak from. Further, bass is not too important to me. I think I'm more focused in finding some brighter highs and cleaner mids. Thanks for any insight anyone might have on these headphones, or any completely different recommendations![/size]

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #13,445 of 29,490
Quote:

Try Brainwavz HM5. $140, so you could get a DAC/amp and still be within your budget.

I have never heard/seen that brand before; I live in Japan, so we really only get access to the "bigger" brands (AKG, Koss, Shure, Sennheiser, Audiotechnica, Sony, Beyerdynamic, etc).

Thanks for the recommendation though!

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #13,446 of 29,490
here asking, Messages can help me out. or unless you wanna keep it here.

What is a good entry level Audiophile headphone to start out with? gain some ground, and a leg.

id like to keep it kinda low, nothing generic. i want something really Audiophile level but budget wise at the same time..

around 0-200+$?

please no crazy answers.. submitting 600$ headphones like Sennheiser HD700's or even rare electrostatic cans like K1000's

and, i like Rich mids, and good lows. and dry highs.  a considerable amount of bass, and easy to drive on a Ipod classic.

Circumaural headphones are a fav for me, they're really comfy, i dont favor Superaural headphones too much.

it can be both Open back, and Closed back (i prefer Open backed)

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #13,448 of 29,490

Quote:
I have never heard/seen that brand before; I live in Japan, so we really only get access to the "bigger" brands (AKG, Koss, Shure, Sennheiser, Audiotechnica, Sony, Beyerdynamic, etc).

It's actually a slightly cheaper rebranding of the Fischer Audio Fa-003, check out this site for where to buy the fischers http://www.fischeraudio.com/place.php
and the site for the actual phones as well http://www.fischeraudio.com/card.php?id=116

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #13,449 of 29,490
Can anyone recommend me some gaming headphones for around ~50 USD? The first choice that came to my mind were the JVC HARX 700's, followed by the Superlux 668B's. I'd like to see if there are any other good options. A good sound stage would be nice, and I don't care about bass; I prefer sound clarity. To reiterate, these headphones are for gaming only, no movies or music.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #13,450 of 29,490

Quote:
Can anyone recommend me some gaming headphones for around ~50 USD? The first choice that came to my mind were the JVC HARX 700's, followed by the Superlux 668B's. I'd like to see if there are any other good options. A good sound stage would be nice, and I don't care about bass; I prefer sound clarity. To reiterate, these headphones are for gaming only, no movies or music.

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #13,451 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, like I said, as "high end" as I have experience with is hd 555's, the bass could be better, since it seems rather flat given the genre's of music that i'm into, but it has amazing clarity etc otherwise.
and what do you mean less of a sound stage?

/e
what circumstances would change if i were to increase my budget by around 300-400, making total around 8-9? i do have graduation from hs coming up soon, so i could always use some of the money for that :p

With a $800 to $900 budget you can pick up the D7000 (look for deals--perhaps open box--that gets it in $550 range) and the Matrix M-Stage Headphone Amplifier with USB ($280 to $310).

You can save at least $100 by going with Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp ($169).  It works very well with the D7000.

Another possible option within $900 is the Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp paired with the HiFiMan - HE-500 Headphones ($699)--although that combo is out of balance.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #13,452 of 29,490

Quote:

What is a good entry level Audiophile headphone to start out with? gain some ground, and a leg.

id like to keep it kinda low, nothing generic. i want something really Audiophile level but budget wise at the same time..

around 0-200+$?

please no crazy answers.. submitting 600$ headphones like Sennheiser HD700's or even rare electrostatic cans like K1000's

and, i like Rich mids, and good lows. and dry highs.  a considerable amount of bass, and easy to drive on a Ipod classic.

Circumaural headphones are a fav for me, they're really comfy, i dont favor Superaural headphones too much.

You can get a very good headphone for $200, but you'll just be touching mid-fi (maybe), but not close to audiophile.

The biggest limitation is that it be easily driven by an ipod.

Assuming that you are not a basshead, but want a balanced can that has good bass for its class, you might want to start off with the closed CAL! ($60 to $80).  Especially in your price range, you'll get better bass from a closed can than from an open one.  The closed studio cans M50 (more bass) or Shure SRH840 (more balanced) might work for you.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #13,454 of 29,490

Quote:
how comfortable are the ATH-AD900s compared to the AD700s, for a person with a small head? i tried the AD700s and while they feel really nice, they're just too massive for my head.

They're basically the same size, so it probably won't do any better than the AD700, unfortunately.

Quote:
Quote:
Good on sound and durability, comfort is a bit low as it's a on-ear portable and the earcups don't swivel much.

Good for price? Any better headphones you recommend in similar price range?

Is the steel construction strong enough because it looks flimsy?

They are quite good for their price and are very durable, but again, they can be a little uncomfortable. Similar options would be the Sennheiser HD25-1, but neither is outright better. The HD25s are more aggressive, whereas the M80s have a wider soundstage, and are more laid-back. 

Quote:
Vmoda M80s or Crossfade LP2? Spec and sound quality wise

M80s are more balanced, on-ear portables, whereas the LP2s are bassy, circumaurals. The original V-Moda Crossfades were quite muddy, but I've heard the LP2 has a completely revamped driver that fixes this. You'll want to confirm that yourself, though.

Quote:
     Quote:
Can you help me decide between getting the Creative Aurvana live + Fostex t50rp, the Senn hd25-1II or the Vmoda m80. I would like to have the best sounding phone but would like a full size, but if the Senn or Vmoda are that much better as far as sq goes then id take them. I'd love to hear the fostex and seeing as the Aurvana was once a 200 dollar phone (d1001) and getting it on sale now and the fostex sounds like a deal to me. But I also want something that just sounds great right out the box and doesnt need too much modding or an amp to sound great (even though i have a MilletSS). Source will be a sansa, possibly rockboxed.

Quote:
+1 for the Senn HD25-1 II and the VModa M-80's. The M-80's have apparently performed phenominally well in terms of over-ear headphones and they have a pretty good fan-base raving about the sound quality. If you're wary about sound quality and you want to guarantee that you'll like your headphones, get the Senn's. You will NOT be dissapointed. 

Is there a full size equivalent to either in the same price range? I guess my question should be what Full size pair can I get that is as good as the hd25/m80 for $200. Will I regret getting the creative aurvana instead? My concern is that over ear and on ear phones dont "sound" the same, I like that my ears are enveloped in the earphone and dont want sound leaking out. If the hd25/m80 don't leak then I will get them if their is no other alternative. 

Well, neither the HD25 or M80 will leak all that much, since they're designed for portable use, but they won't envelop your ear like you may like. For the price there are some similarly performing full-sized headphones, but many have different signatures and there's no clear winner. The CAL! probably won't be quite up to par with those, but the Fostex does have quite the fan base, and they can apparently sound very good, especially with modding.

Quote:
I've got some Alessandro MS1s right now, and I'm looking for an upgrade.

What I want:
  1. Closed, with good isolation
  2. Good bass, lots of it (or at least a good amount, more than my MS1s), but no mid muddiness/bloated bass like one gets from Beats by Dre.
  3. Comfortable, I'm going to be wearing these for long periods of time (6+ hours).
  4. A decent soundstage
  5. Around $200-$300 CAD

I like the sound of my MS1s, but I wish they were clearer, had more bass, and a better soundstage. They'd be perfect for me with those things I think. They also don't like to stay on my ears while commuting, and tend to get uncomfortable after a while.
I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, but about 70% of my library is either rock or metal (which is why I got the MS1s in the first place), the rest being maybe 20% electronica and 10% misc other genres.

My home source is an Asus Xonar DG, portable will be a 2nd gen iPod Touch -> FiiO L9 -> FiiO E11. Depending on how the DG's onboard amp responds to the cans I might skip it and use the E11 instead.

Right now I'm considering the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80's, Denon D2000s (if I can scrounge up the extra money), and Audio Technica ATH M50s.

The D2000s don't isolate all that well FYI. Also, the M50s can get a little uncomfortable after a few hours of continuous wear, and the soundstage is not the best. No clue about the Beyers, though.

Quote:
First time poster,

I am currently looking into buying a better headphone. I am currently upgrading from an Icemat Siberia (got it back when they were considered amazing for gaming) but after reading around, I hear gaming headsets suck and I should grab a quality headset with a seperate mic. I thought the icemat's sound was amazing when I got it but apparently the sounds can get MUCH better so I'm curious to find out!

The Icemat Siberia were insanely comfortable but after 3hours or so, the surface of my ear would turn red.
I also had a turtle beach x31 wireless headset which was a terrible experience for me. the overhead-band pressed against my skull and it was insanely painful to wear for more than 5minutes. Wireless signal was always being disturbed. (Please note I am looking for a headphones for PC only, I only mentioned the turtle beach because perhaps there is a specific 'style' which is very unconfortable for my head)

I was looking at the Astro A40 headsets but the shipping costed half the price of the headset itself (I'm located in Canada) so that idea's out the window.

I have taken a look at a couple of headsets such as the ATH-M50 but apparently the soundstage is so great that the games will sound too fake/precise (not sure where I read that)

I'm looking for an all-in solution which will cost me less than $350 CAD.
I am completely new at this so I will be reading up online after work, but what are amps for? Will I need a sound card?

Just for gaming and positioning purposes, open headphones like the Audio Technica AD700 are very highly recommended. However, open cans have limitations as well, namely sound leak both in and out of the headphone and less visceral bass response than closed ones. The AD700s are particularly bad with the latter. On the higher end of the price scale, the Sennheiser HD598s will offer a more well-rounded sound, but I don't know what availability is like in Canada. An amp is basically used to provide more power to the headphones, and can be more necessary for high-end cans with high impedances. The HD598 is purported to run fairly well straight out of a laptop, though you'd probably want to get an amp down the road to drive it to its full potential. Sound cards generally also serve as a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), and can make the signal cleaner, though some headphone amps also come with built-in DACs. 

Quote:
Hey. I'm looking for headphones to use instead of full blown computer speakers since they would disturb the rest of the house too much. So I'd like a headphone that's gonna sound great for movies, games and music. Preferably noise canceling. I got a very small budget (40$-60$) but I got a 50$ card for a local store. Here's what the store carries that would fit my budget of max 110$:

Numark Redwave, Sennheiser HD280 PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-M20,  ATH-M40FS, AKG K99, Stanton DJPRO2000S, Shure SHR440, Idancestudio SeDJ700, Audio-Technica ATH-M30 and Sennheiser HD203.

Anything in there that would be good enough? And if not, what headphones should I go with.

Can you find the Koss DJ100? It has a reputation for being a very solid sub-$100 headphone. If not, the HD280 isolates very well, though the sound quality isn't phenomenal. The 440s and M30s are also reasonably popular, but I don't know nearly enough to give you a detailed comparison.

Quote:
Posted this in the /r/headphones subreddit, thought I would see what you guys think...
[size=small] So I'll be studying abroad this summer and I am looking for some decent headphones that I will inevitably be taking places. Whether it is waiting in lines, on planes, or just walking around. This is my first major purchase of headphones outside of the crummy $10 range.[/size]

[size=small] I'll be playing music just from my, er, Zune HD...[/size]

[size=small] After looking around several guides for my price range, I have narrowed it down to a few:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. [1] Sennheiser HD 205-II
  2. [2] Koss Pro DJ100 - Available at places like BestBuy where I can try them within the store's 30-day warranty and take them back if they are just not working for me.
  3. [3] Shure SRH440 - Apparently these are great... only after you buy 840 pads? Seems like a hastle, and I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to change these.
  4. [4] AKG K 172 HD - Great deal on these, but I've read these don't produce as much volume, and I'm not sure how well I could enjoy these without an amp?

[/size] [size=small] Should I be looking into the [5] Sennheiser HD 439, [6] KRK KNS-6400, or [7] ATH AD700 as well?[/size]

[size=small] I am generally looking for portability, isolation, and closed headphones that not too much sound will leak from. Further, bass is not too important to me. I think I'm more focused in finding some brighter highs and cleaner mids. Thanks for any insight anyone might have on these headphones, or any completely different recommendations![/size]

The DJ100s have a very solid reputation around here, though the KRKs are also rising stars. The AD700s are open and don't isolate at all, so cross that off right now. If you can stretch your budget up to about $120, you could also get the Brainwavz HM5, which is a rebranded FA-003, and a very strong closed, neutral headphone.

Quote:
Quote:

Try Brainwavz HM5. $140, so you could get a DAC/amp and still be within your budget.

Yeah, they're a Chinese company, but have a good reputation around here. I think you can probably buy them off of mp4nation.net, which is their parent webstore.

Quote:

around 0-200+$?

Just a note, open headphones leak a lot of sound both in and out, so if you'll be listening out and about with the iPod, they may not be the best option. Also, they don't always deliver the big bass many people are looking for.
That aside, you could start by looking into the HD558s as far as open goes, and the M50s or HFI780s for closed.

Quote:
Audio-Technica ATH-T400

Audio-Technica ATH-AD300

Sennheiser HD 429

Samson SR850

In the 50-70$ market but if going up to 100$ range is necessary I'm fine with that. I haven't been able to find a ton of info on these headphones.

Don't know much about the first 2, but the Samsons are a Superlux rebrand and have a good reputation, whereas the HD429s are an updated 428, which I've found to be underwhelming. Also add to your list the Creative Aurvana Lives and the Koss DJ100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back