++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #13,382 of 29,490
I am looking for my first pair of decent-quality headphones.  For the past three or four years I was using Skullcandy Skullcrushers (yes yes, I know).  They broke recently, and for now I am borrowing a pair of Sennheiser HD428s.

In any case, I have a budget of $200-300, but I'm also a sucker for a good deal.  I prefer closed cans simply because I don't want to disturb anyone else with what I'm listening to, and right now listening privately at my computer isn't an option.  A friend recommended the ATH-A900 as he is personally a big fan of them, and although they look a little weird I kind of like the design.  Much like my friend I would be using these as kind of an all-purpose laptop headphone, so it would be for music as well as games, video, and anything else  that comes up, and I would also be wearing them for long stretches at a time.  However, I work retail and have recently discovered that my shop will be getting the ATH-A900x next month, which means I'll be able to get them for roughly half price and cheaper than the A900s go for.

The reason I'm asking here is that it seems like reaction to the A900x has been a little mixed here.  I was wondering if you folks thought this would be a good starter set, or if it would actually be a better decision to go with the A900s...or something else entirely?  Previously I was looking at the ATH-M50 (everyone seems to love them), ATH-ESW9 (I'm not sure I'd like the on-ear nature of these and I am worried they would be flimsy, but the portability would be nice), HD 280 pro (recommended by a musician friend who uses them to record), AKG-Q701 (don't think I want open cans, and I gather I would need an amp for these).

So yeah, I would very much appreciate any advice.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #13,383 of 29,490
Quote:
You would need amplification with these.

Quote:
It would probably work ok without the amp, but you might want one to drive it to full potential.

Two conflicting answers, the best kind of response.

I did a bit of reading again, and many suggest an amplifier for the D2000s; would there be a difference between using a Fiio E10 versus Fiio E7/17 with E9 combo (I am wondering if the external DAC is worth it, since I am currently using onboard sound card that came with my laptop).

Sorry for the questions; I am still new to high end audio, and am not too familiar with amplification systems.

Also, I read that the D2000s are bass heavy; how much so?

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #13,384 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for my first pair of decent-quality headphones.  For the past three or four years I was using Skullcandy Skullcrushers (yes yes, I know).  They broke recently, and for now I am borrowing a pair of Sennheiser HD428s.

In any case, I have a budget of $200-300, but I'm also a sucker for a good deal.  I prefer closed cans simply because I don't want to disturb anyone else with what I'm listening to, and right now listening privately at my computer isn't an option.  A friend recommended the ATH-A900 as he is personally a big fan of them, and although they look a little weird I kind of like the design.  Much like my friend I would be using these as kind of an all-purpose laptop headphone, so it would be for music as well as games, video, and anything else  that comes up, and I would also be wearing them for long stretches at a time.  However, I work retail and have recently discovered that my shop will be getting the ATH-A900x next month, which means I'll be able to get them for roughly half price and cheaper than the A900s go for.

The reason I'm asking here is that it seems like reaction to the A900x has been a little mixed here.  I was wondering if you folks thought this would be a good starter set, or if it would actually be a better decision to go with the A900s...or something else entirely?  Previously I was looking at the ATH-M50 (everyone seems to love them), ATH-ESW9 (I'm not sure I'd like the on-ear nature of these and I am worried they would be flimsy, but the portability would be nice), HD 280 pro (recommended by a musician friend who uses them to record), AKG-Q701 (don't think I want open cans, and I gather I would need an amp for these).

Well I can guarantee that you won't be dissapointed with the M50's. The Sound Professionals is also doing a detachable cable mod for $199 (the headphone is included along with 3 extra wires). What sort of sound signature are you looking for and what kind of music do you listen to? That could help us help you. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #13,385 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I can guarantee that you won't be dissapointed with the M50's. The Sound Professionals is also doing a detachable cable mod for $199 (the headphone is included along with 3 extra wires). What sort of sound signature are you looking for and what kind of music do you listen to? That could help us help you. 

I don't have a specific sound signature, I really am just starting out.  I suppose I would be looking for balance, just because i'm going to be using these headphones for a wide variety of things.  They will primarily be used at the computer for several hours a day for music, video, podcasts, livestreams, etc.  I don't actually listen to a lot of music, though now that I am looking into nicer headphones I've actually started to increase my music collection.  I have a lot of game soundtracks, I like the Beatles, Jurassic 5, They Might Be Giants, The Who...not a whole lot, I guess.

The only thing I would note with my previous headphones is that I never really used the subwoofer on the Skullcrushers, and borrowing these HD428 has shown me that because of that I haven't really been hearing any bass for the last few years.  I don't want to focus on it, but I was shocked at the difference between them.  The reason I'm focusing on the A900x is because the A900 was highly recommended and I know I can get a good deal on it, but I'm certainly open to suggestion.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #13,386 of 29,490
I can't find any headphones more suitable for me than the AKG K550, am I missing something?

I want closed headphones with as close to zero leakage as possible and good isolation with a balanced to smooth sound to listen to mostly indie/rock/pop music, initially on an iPhone but may add an amp or do proper listening at home.

My budget is around 300CHF/EUR/USD

Thanks

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #13,387 of 29,490

Quote:
I can't find any headphones more suitable for me than the AKG K550, am I missing something?
I want closed headphones with as close to zero leakage as possible and good isolation with a balanced to smooth sound to listen to mostly indie/rock/pop music, initially on an iPhone but may add an amp or do proper listening at home.
My budget is around 300CHF/EUR/USD

The prices are high right now ($280 USD) for the AKG K550 (and I do want a pair of those).
The KRK KNS 8400 are half the price.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #13,390 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, Just wondering. What impedance do you need to use a headphone amp?

It depends on the headphones you intend to use (impedance is just one of the parameters that need to be taken into account), and on what you already have to drive them. For the power needed, it is also relevant what you listen to (i.e. low or high dynamic range), and your preferences regarding loudness.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #13,391 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't have a specific sound signature, I really am just starting out.  I suppose I would be looking for balance, just because i'm going to be using these headphones for a wide variety of things.  They will primarily be used at the computer for several hours a day for music, video, podcasts, livestreams, etc.  I don't actually listen to a lot of music, though now that I am looking into nicer headphones I've actually started to increase my music collection.  I have a lot of game soundtracks, I like the Beatles, Jurassic 5, They Might Be Giants, The Who...not a whole lot, I guess.

The only thing I would note with my previous headphones is that I never really used the subwoofer on the Skullcrushers, and borrowing these HD428 has shown me that because of that I haven't really been hearing any bass for the last few years.  I don't want to focus on it, but I was shocked at the difference between them.  The reason I'm focusing on the A900x is because the A900 was highly recommended and I know I can get a good deal on it, but I'm certainly open to suggestion.

Try the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro with a FiiO E11, I ordered the Beyers a few weeks after Shure SRH880 and the Beyers blow the Shures away in SQ and comfort straight out of the box. You'll also save a bit of money because the phones + amp is around 230 together.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #13,393 of 29,490

Quote:
So yeah just an update I'm currently considering the Audio Technica M50's or the ultrasone pro 900 balanced, I'm looking at the balanced as I can get the for 500! Please talk me in or out of buying one of the two!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Also I have the money now so please help me!!!!!!

I don't know what the M50 would give you that the Ultrasone (even the Pro 750) does much better.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #13,394 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello! I know there are a lot of threads of this topic and I don't want to star another...

Wanna add an open can and decided to go Grado's! now the typical issue: Which? Finally Decided on The SR80 after much reading although not 100% sure if the Allesandro's MS1 are better sounding because all the confounding threads! or is there much difference with the 325i?

My setup iPod Classic 5G 80GB + Fiio e11 + Sony's MDR V6 + Westone UM3X UM56 :)
Music Styles: mostly electronic, pop, rock, indie 

Thanks for any other suggestion and input

If you want to go for the best value, I'd say it is the MS-1, which (although based on the SR80) is often compared to the 125 & 225.  However, if you want undiminished Grado brightness--go with the SR80 for the most bang for the buck.

The 325 gives you much deeper bass, significantly greater clarity and superior build quality.  It is however very bright--even by Grado standards.  A significant sized group of Gradophiles even find it to be harsh.  I like the 325, but also see the point of the critics.  The 325 also costs more than 3 x the price of the 80.

The middle ground that virtually every Grado family fan likes--and is at a relatively affordable price--is the 225.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #13,395 of 29,490

Quote:

You'll also need amping for the A900x, if it is like the A900.  Although a very efficient can, the A900 just lays there (accurate--but bland and boring) unless amped.

BTW--everyone does not love the M50 as a $150 can.  The Shure SRH840 is a better buy unless you are a basshead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back