++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #13,368 of 29,490
Hello all,
I’m relatively new to the quality audio scene so please bear with me. I’ve been using the Ipod earbuds for years now and finally decided to upgrade to some better sounding headphones. My budget is around $100. I don’t really want to go over this amount but if there are headphones that are a perfect fit for what I’m looking for, I can go up to around $120ish…($150 is stretching it)
I’m mainly looking for (1) comfort and (2) good sound for my listening needs.

1. Comfort: I’ve tried some (closed?) full headphones in the past, they seemed very big and bulky and made my ears itch. I don’t know what brand they were, this was around 5 years ago. I tried on the SOL republic tracks (too loud/bassy for me) at Best Buy the other day and they were okay in terms of comfort so maybe something of similar material (for the earpads). Also, I’m looking for something that isn’t going to heavily clamp my head as I get headaches/migraines easily. It doesn’t really matter to me if they are 100% noise isolating or not, I’ll mostly be listening to music on the Ipod/Laptop in my room but some outside noise blocking would be a plus. I'll take suggestion for both full closed headphones and portable headphones.

2. Good sound: I mostly listen to Blues, Sufi music, Soul, Jazz, some Pop and R&B. A good portion of my music are from world albums or soundtracks (Rozana - Nishabd, Main Jahaan Rahoon - Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ekla Cholo Re - Kahaani, Drift Away - Dobie Gray, Golden Train - Justin Nozuka, Rolling in the Deep - Adele etc). I do listen to some bass music but those are mild to moderate bass, nothing bass heavy, no heavy metal, punk, hard rock etc.
A wide soundstage would be nice and the ability to differentiate between different instruments.
Also, I’d rather go for the ‘around the head’ feel of music rather than the ‘in the head/brain cavity’ feel (Again, I’m very prone to getting headaches/migraines).

I apologize in advance if my description is confusing as I’m a newcomer to all of this. Your recommendations and inputs would be very much appreciated. This is my first time spending and investing so much money on headphones so I really want to make an informed decision before I purchase anything. Thank you.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #13,370 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all,
I’m relatively new to the quality audio scene so please bear with me. I’ve been using the Ipod earbuds for years now and finally decided to upgrade to some better sounding headphones. My budget is around $100. I don’t really want to go over this amount but if there are headphones that are a perfect fit for what I’m looking for, I can go up to around $120ish…($150 is stretching it)
I’m mainly looking for (1) comfort and (2) good sound for my listening needs.

1. Comfort: I’ve tried some (closed?) full headphones in the past, they seemed very big and bulky and made my ears itch. I don’t know what brand they were, this was around 5 years ago. I tried on the SOL republic tracks (too loud/bassy for me) at Best Buy the other day and they were okay in terms of comfort so maybe something of similar material (for the earpads). Also, I’m looking for something that isn’t going to heavily clamp my head as I get headaches/migraines easily. It doesn’t really matter to me if they are 100% noise isolating or not, I’ll mostly be listening to music on the Ipod/Laptop in my room but some outside noise blocking would be a plus. I'll take suggestion for both full closed headphones and portable headphones.

2. Good sound: I mostly listen to Blues, Sufi music, Soul, Jazz, some Pop and R&B. A good portion of my music are from world albums or soundtracks (Rozana - Nishabd, Main Jahaan Rahoon - Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ekla Cholo Re - Kahaani, Drift Away - Dobie Gray, Golden Train - Justin Nozuka, Rolling in the Deep - Adele etc). I do listen to some bass music but those are mild to moderate bass, nothing bass heavy, no heavy metal, punk, hard rock etc.
A wide soundstage would be nice and the ability to differentiate between different instruments.
Also, I’d rather go for the ‘around the head’ feel of music rather than the ‘in the head/brain cavity’ feel (Again, I’m very prone to getting headaches/migraines).

I apologize in advance if my description is confusing as I’m a newcomer to all of this. Your recommendations and inputs would be very much appreciated. This is my first time spending and investing so much money on headphones so I really want to make an informed decision before I purchase anything. Thank you.

The CALS! fit the bill.  The AKG K 240 studio are also worthy of consideration.  Various Sampson models might also work for you, but I have no personal experience with any of them.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #13,372 of 29,490
Hullow!

I have a set of K701's and love them...

But.. I found if I really push them to get them loud they go grainy on the highs and the bass is a little - airy?

What's a good headphone if I want a bass-inflicted headache?

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #13,373 of 29,490

Quote:
Quick question, how much would the sr80i's leak being played at 50% volume on the iPhone? Just wondering, thanks in advance

Enough for people next to you to hear your music pretty clearly.

Quote:
Are the ATH-M50 good? I'm thinking about ordering them. I see good reviews everywhere about them.

They're pretty good, but it can depend on what kind of sound you like, as it has a lot of competition at its current price.

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps also check out the Denon D2000s.

Would I not need to consider an amplifier if I choose to go with these headphones?

It would probably work ok without the amp, but you might want one to drive it to full potential.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #13,375 of 29,490
Hi guys:D
I'm definately a noob, and I'm in a bit of a pickle.
See I'm looking a getting a pair of headphones or cans as they seem to be refered to as!
But I'm unsure as to what to get, I'm looking at either spending upto 500 bucks on a pair of cans alone. or going for about 800 and getting a ballanced pair and an amp as I mostly used my iPod and computer! I've got a bit of some ideas about what I'm looking for but I'm not 100%:rolleyes:
If anyone can give me some pointers that would be greatly appreciated!
I'm looking for; a powerful bass
Strong mediums and
Crisp highs
They should also look fairly decent as I'm 17 and don't wanna look like odd:p
As I listen to a fairly broard range of music rap, hip hop, 60s-90s rock, techno, and a bit of opera and classical Herrera and there
I have been looking at sennheiser, ultrasone, audio technica, beyyer dynamics and some other brands but for some reason every pair that I like someone always has a review that makes em seem dodgy or not worth it
Take the ultrasone 900 for example, I've heard that there is a slight imbalance in them
And in some sennheisers they can be a bit weak on bass
As you may guess all this would confuse a noob so any replies would be great

So yeah just an update I'm currently considering the Audio Technica M50's or the ultrasone pro 900 balanced, I'm looking at the balanced as I can get the for 500! Please talk me in or out of buying one of the two!!!!! :D

Also I have the money now so please help me!!!!!!

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #13,378 of 29,490
just in case anyone was interested in a inexpensive headphone stand solution....

http://1saleaday.com/flash/banh-343/

...today only

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #13,379 of 29,490
Hello! I know there are a lot of threads of this topic and I don't want to star another...

Wanna add an open can and decided to go Grado's! now the typical issue: Which? Finally Decided on The SR80 after much reading although not 100% sure if the Allesandro's MS1 are better sounding because all the confounding threads! or is there much difference with the 325i?

My setup iPod Classic 5G 80GB + Fiio e11 + Sony's MDR V6 + Westone UM3X UM56 :)
Music Styles: mostly electronic, pop, rock, indie 

Thanks for any other suggestion and input

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #13,380 of 29,490

Friend want budget headphones that will completely blow his mind in movies and games (if there is such a thing), and luckily he is a complete noob when it comes to audio so I want to suggest something that has the right qualities that audio noobs tend to enjoy!

Limit is about £40/$100 so I was thinking the CALs or Samson SR850 or panasonic htf-600. Which one would probably be best, and are there any other worthy mentionables? He will use them on his laptop/360 and probably through a mixamp.

Cheers

edit: he isn't into competitive FPS so immersion is the most important factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back