++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #13,336 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh okay....What about the Shure SRH840?

My 840's are two time zones away and I haven't listened to them in months.  My recollection is strong that I like them a bit better than the M50.  The Shures also give a more even performance across the frequency range.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #13,337 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi ers, I am planning to buy a new pair of cans.  My choices are the grado SR80i and HiFiMan HE-400.  I know the price difference of these candidates are quite a bit. 

The reason why I'm asking is because I've never heard a pair of Grados in my life, and it's praised all over the internet in reviews.  Should I start off with SR80i then slowly move my way up?

Everyone needs to have owned at least one Grado.  The 80 is a good place to start.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #13,339 of 29,490

Quote:
I mainly listen to electro/house/trance music, but I've read from a few other sources that the Grados are known to not please consumers who frequent these genres.  

Is this true? Or ignore?

I am not sufficiently familiar with those genre's to offer an opinion.  My musical wheel house is centered in 1950's to 70's rock, blues and other U.S. roots music.  For my favorite genres the Grado works well--as long as you like the Grado/Alessandro house sound--forward, bright and on stage with the musicians.

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #13,340 of 29,490
Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.
i recently broke my at's(ad-700), and on the search for new phones.

before the at's i had a pair of Grado SR-80, which i mainly sold because it was too uncomfortable on the ear, and in some times even hurting till my ear got red.

what i have like in the sound of the grados was the bass, which was tight and accurate, though having a punch.
I've also liked the detailed sound of it.
what i did not like was the too sharp(i guess, bright?) sound. mids were about fine, a bit lacking.

i certainly did not like the sound of the at's. was much too airy, lacking on bass(bass on sr-80 was about perfect).

type of music varies from time to time but i mostly hear: rock(a lot of kinds, not metal), acoustic quiet music, and some classical(mostly piano plays like yann tiersen and chopin)

budget is about 250$

thanks again

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #13,342 of 29,490
Hi guys:D
I'm definately a noob, and I'm in a bit of a pickle.
See I'm looking a getting a pair of headphones or cans as they seem to be refered to as!
But I'm unsure as to what to get, I'm looking at either spending upto 500 bucks on a pair of cans alone. or going for about 800 and getting a ballanced pair and an amp as I mostly used my iPod and computer! I've got a bit of some ideas about what I'm looking for but I'm not 100%:rolleyes:
If anyone can give me some pointers that would be greatly appreciated!
I'm looking for; a powerful bass
Strong mediums and
Crisp highs
They should also look fairly decent as I'm 17 and don't wanna look like odd:p

As I listen to a fairly broard range of music rap, hip hop, 60s-90s rock, techno, and a bit of opera and classical Herrera and there
I have been looking at sennheiser, ultrasone, audio technica, beyyer dynamics and some other brands but for some reason every pair that I like someone always has a review that makes em seem dodgy or not worth it
Take the ultrasone 900 for example, I've heard that there is a slight imbalance in them
And in some sennheisers they can be a bit weak on bass
As you may guess all this would confuse a noob so any replies would be great

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #13,343 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fi - I guess I'll preface this post by saying I'm farily new to actually thinking about higher end audio, and I'm a little lost. I've had a look at the buying guides on here and also had a bit of a lurk around other forums, but I still don't feel nearly confident enough to buy anything.

I'm looking to spend around 400-500 AUD to upgrade my computer audio setup. I'm currently using a pair of Sennhesier's wireless RS-140 cans (that I recieved as a birthday gift), but after borrowing a friend's ATH-AD700's for a few days the difference in sound quality and comfort was obvious, so I've decided it's probably worth investing in a slightly nicer setup.

When it comes to music I'm sort of all over the place, but I do listen to a lot of electronic music - DnB, dubstep, electro house, trance and techno. At the same time, I listen to quite a bit of other stuff, and I'm a sucker for acoustic guitar, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I also do quite a bit of gaming (RTS/MMO/FPS), but nothing where crazy positional audio is required.

Portability isn't really a factor.

I've seen the ATH-M50's recommended quite a bit for people with my tastes just getting into higher-end audio, but I'm unconvinced about the construction (swiveling earcups and the folding headband seem inconvenient and a possible point of breakage, but I haven't really looked into it that much). I also had someone suggest the Vmoda crossfade LP2's over on reddit's /r/headphones subreddit, but I understand that the original crossfade LP's had quite a few sound and construction issues, and I've been unable to find much discussion on the LP2's.

Should I be sinking all of my budget into a nice pair of headphones and then just using onboard sound, or should I be looking to get a pair of cans and then a soundcard or a combo DAC/amp or something? This is something I'm pretty confused about, and I wasn't exactly sure which subforum I should ask in.

If at all possible, recommendations relevant to Australian retailers would be great, since prices seem to vary quite a bit between here and other countries.

Sorry for the long-ish post and thanks in advance for any and all help, this is how I feel right about now.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #13,344 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi - I guess I'll preface this post by saying I'm farily new to actually thinking about higher end audio, and I'm a little lost. I've had a look at the buying guides on here and also had a bit of a lurk around other forums, but I still don't feel nearly confident enough to buy anything.

I'm looking to spend around 400-500 AUD to upgrade my computer audio setup. I'm currently using a pair of Sennhesier's wireless RS-140 cans (that I recieved as a birthday gift), but after borrowing a friend's ATH-AD700's for a few days the difference in sound quality and comfort was obvious, so I've decided it's probably worth investing in a slightly nicer setup.

When it comes to music I'm sort of all over the place, but I do listen to a lot of electronic music - DnB, dubstep, electro house, trance and techno. At the same time, I listen to quite a bit of other stuff, and I'm a sucker for acoustic guitar, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I also do quite a bit of gaming (RTS/MMO/FPS), but nothing where crazy positional audio is required.

Portability isn't really a factor.

I've seen the ATH-M50's recommended quite a bit for people with my tastes just getting into higher-end audio, but I'm unconvinced about the construction (swiveling earcups and the folding headband seem inconvenient and a possible point of breakage, but I haven't really looked into it that much). I also had someone suggest the Vmoda crossfade LP2's over on reddit's /r/headphones subreddit, but I understand that the original crossfade LP's had quite a few sound and construction issues, and I've been unable to find much discussion on the LP2's.

Should I be sinking all of my budget into a nice pair of headphones and then just using onboard sound, or should I be looking to get a pair of cans and then a soundcard or a combo DAC/amp or something? This is something I'm pretty confused about, and I wasn't exactly sure which subforum I should ask in.

If at all possible, recommendations relevant to Australian retailers would be great, since prices seem to vary quite a bit between here and other countries.

Sorry for the long-ish post and thanks in advance for any and all help, this is how I feel right about now.

Lol, nice pic :)

If you listened mainly to electronica, then going with Ultrasones would be a good idea, and since you can stretch your budget for quite a bit, you might want to consider the Ultrasone Pro 900. It has emphasized bass and a lot of clarity at the same time. It is also quite good for gaming in terms of immersion and handles competitive gaming reasonably well. But if competitive gaming is the bulk of your gaming, then you might want to look for a different pair.

IMHO, you should aim to leave around $100-150 aside for a nice soundcard, as those values allow you to get the best internal soundcards currently available, namely the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and the Asus Xonar Essence STX. If you do a fair share of gaming, you will want to go with the Titanium HD, as it is a card with the complete advanced gaming audio feature set, while the Essence STX is more geared towards music and movies. Do note that they both stand on equal grounds in terms of sound quality.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #13,345 of 29,490
Hi guys
I'm planning to get a new headphone
I listen mostly to classic rock,power ballad and some country
the budget is about $500-$1000
any recommendation?
I prefered closed back since I already have NAD RP18 which is open

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #13,347 of 29,490
Hi guys im a newbie  here in the "headphone" world..
recently i spend more time on music and decided to buy a headphone.
i need some of your advice and tips.. :)

my english is bad.. :p

Choice of music--i like acoustic music, r&b, a little rock(k-on) and J-POP(japanese)

Budget --is 40-80euro,, (no job, lol)

--i recently saw sennheiser headphone on the net and i think its a worthy headphone

--im planning to buy sennheiser 419/439... which do you think is better to my choice of music? i dont like HD449, stainless design..lol

btw,,if i buy 419, will it look good outdoor? or just for indoor only? ,
i think 439 is good for outdoor,,

i always see Beats by dr. dre,, they dont know their are better headphones out there just need to search on the net.. -.-

advance thank you guys... 

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #13,348 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys im a newbie  here in the "headphone" world..
recently i spend more time on music and decided to buy a headphone.
i need some of your advice and tips.. :)

my english is bad.. :p

Choice of music--i like acoustic music, r&b, a little rock(k-on) and J-POP(japanese)

Budget --is 40-80euro,, (no job, lol)

--i recently saw sennheiser headphone on the net and i think its a worthy headphone

--im planning to buy sennheiser 419/439... which do you think is better to my choice of music? i dont like HD449, stainless design..lol

btw,,The LOOKS are important!!! if i buy 419, will it look good outdoor? or just for indoor only? ,
i think 439 is good for outdoor,,

i always see Beats by dr. dre,, they dont know their are better headphones out there just need to search on the net.. -.-

advance thank you guys... 

Based sole on sound, as I can't get into your head with regard to what looks good to you, and based on U.S. market prices, you should consider the CAL! and the Koss ProDJ100 or it prettier sister the Koss Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone.

You may also want to check out these buying guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #13,349 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.
i recently broke my at's(ad-700), and on the search for new phones.

before the at's i had a pair of Grado SR-80, which i mainly sold because it was too uncomfortable on the ear, and in some times even hurting till my ear got red.

what i have like in the sound of the grados was the bass, which was tight and accurate, though having a punch.
I've also liked the detailed sound of it.
what i did not like was the too sharp(i guess, bright?) sound. mids were about fine, a bit lacking.

i certainly did not like the sound of the at's. was much too airy, lacking on bass(bass on sr-80 was about perfect).

type of music varies from time to time but i mostly hear: rock(a lot of kinds, not metal), acoustic quiet music, and some classical(mostly piano plays like yann tiersen and chopin)

budget is about 250$

thanks again

Great choices with your budget include the AKG Q701 (great clarity and very good sound stage), Denon D2000 (great bass & sub-bass) and for a little more than $250 these days--the Senn HD 598 (great sound stage and excellent all arounder that is very easy to drive).

If you liked the Grado sound but with toned down sharpness/highs, consider the Alessandro MS-1.  You can get two of those and still stay within your budget.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #13,350 of 29,490
sorry.. ok i mean the LOOKS, bcoz comparing sennheiser hd 419 looks stealth but a little boring compared to hd 439.. :p

also i like the design you said,, but there are no headphones like that here on barcelona, more on bose,akg,beats,sennheiser,panasonic,jvc, b&w, skullcandy,, i dont remember any Koss here.. -.-

forget the design,, i like the music quality :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back