++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #13,321 of 29,490
Just broke my ATH-ES7's looking to upgrade to something under £200 ($370) need to be portable so if any IEM's are a good idea let us know but still want the full sound quality of the ATH-ES7's or better. Listen to Drum and Bass, Jazz, general rock (Gorillaz, The Clash, The Stones). Liked the look of TMA-1's but have no idea about them, thanks all help appreciated.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #13,322 of 29,490

Quote:
Just broke my ATH-ES7's looking to upgrade to something under £200 ($370) need to be portable so if any IEM's are a good idea let us know but still want the full sound quality of the ATH-ES7's or better. Listen to Drum and Bass, Jazz, general rock (Gorillaz, The Clash, The Stones). Liked the look of TMA-1's but have no idea about them, thanks all help appreciated.

Sound quality? As in clarity, instrument seperation? Be more specific :D

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #13,323 of 29,490
As in the ATH-ES7's have a very broad sound compared to the thin and often slightly painful sounds you get from lower end 'phones, these were my first good pair of cans so I can't pick much out, the bass felt deep and solid mids and well higher than average highs in clarity. Just someething similar yet better and suits the music I listed really

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #13,324 of 29,490

Quote:
self-bump + another question

would audio-technica ATH-M30's be ok?  they're not noise cancelling but they're closed ear--which i hope will suffice on a plane

are there any similar headphones in performance/price (and that will work on a plane, either from being closed or from having noise cancelling)?

what about the ATHANC7 from audio technica?

i dont' know crap about noise cancelling because i've never had to buy headphones for a noisy environment (airplane) so i'm not sure where to start.

thanks!

Hey there,

Noise Cancelling will degrade sound quality........... That is a guarantee, The ANC7 will sound better than the ATH-M30, but probably don't sound as good as the ATH-M50. If you travel or are outside a lot, and can sacrifice sound quality, I recommend you to get noise cancelling. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #13,325 of 29,490
Just ordered Shure 840s as my first pair of decent headphones( i have turtle beachs now) I hope i am satisfied i can still cancel it and order something else if these arent good. I am looking for good vocals i good soundstage(for a closed headphone) and a present bass

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #13,326 of 29,490
I'm pretty sure that there's a general agreement that the Shure SRH880 sounds much better than the M50 for around the same price, and the Beyer DT770s sound even better than that at around $30 more

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #13,327 of 29,490

Quote:
Just ordered Shure 840s as my first pair of decent headphones( i have turtle beachs now) I hope i am satisfied i can still cancel it and order something else if these arent good. I am looking for good vocals i good soundstage(for a closed headphone) and a present bass

I have the Shures, TB X11, and TB x41. The Shures wreck the Beaches in isolation and sound quality. But you probably do need an amp, I get almost no bass when I use it out of my iPhone, but beaches are better for gaming because they're a lot lighter, more comfy, sounds more open, and more "airy". I'm probably going to return the Shures because they really bake your ears and I start sweating 10 minutes after I put them on. 

The sound out of an amp is nice, but you can always return it and get something else if you don't like.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #13,328 of 29,490
Hey there,

Noise Cancelling will degrade sound quality........... That is a guarantee, The ANC7 will sound better than the ATH-M30, but probably don't sound as good as the ATH-M50. If you travel or are outside a lot, and can sacrifice sound quality, I recommend you to get noise cancelling. 

I think I'll probably stay away from noise canceling ones then if it affects sound quality. The ath-m30's are a hair higher than I was wanting to spend but they sound Iike my best option. Thanks for the help!

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #13,329 of 29,490
50an6xy06r6n : thanks for the recommendation!  I don't think I like Sennheiser very much. Tried it on at Bestbuy and didn't think they were very comfortable. 

I just placed an order for CAL!  Very excited to get it soon. I just went to Guitar center today hoping to try on some of the ones I'm interested in. They have ATH M50, but all of the headphones are in boxes. The employee there said he'd let me try the one I want and would even connect it to a computer for me to try the sound. I didn't. Felt kinda bad if I made him do that and then not buy it. They were a lot more expensive than from Amazon anyway. Guess I can't try any out. I'll just have to hope I like my CAL!

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #13,330 of 29,490

Quote:
50an6xy06r6n : thanks for the recommendation!  I don't think I like Sennheiser very much. Tried it on at Bestbuy and didn't think they were very comfortable. 

I just placed an order for CAL!  Very excited to get it soon. I just went to Guitar center today hoping to try on some of the ones I'm interested in. They have ATH M50, but all of the headphones are in boxes. The employee there said he'd let me try the one I want and would even connect it to a computer for me to try the sound. I didn't. Felt kinda bad if I made him do that and then not buy it. They were a lot more expensive than from Amazon anyway. Guess I can't try any out. I'll just have to hope I like my CAL!

M50 > CAL!, but still not a bad purchase. M50 can be your future upgrade if you enjoy higher quality headphones :)

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #13,331 of 29,490

Quote:
M50 > CAL!, but still not a bad purchase. M50 can be your future upgrade if you enjoy higher quality headphones :)

Can't say I agree that the M50 is the next step up. 

The Shure SRH840 and Beyer DT 770 Pro are both better.  In fact the CAL! provides a significantly more balanced and neutral (for its price class)--but still musical listening session, despite the fact that the M50 has a great overall frequency range.  The M50 (and the Shure & Beyer) are certainly built more solidly than is the CAL!.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #13,332 of 29,490

Quote:
Can't say I agree that the M50 is the next step up. 

The Shure SRH840 and Beyer DT 770 Pro are both better.  In fact the CAL! provides a significantly more balanced and neutral (for its price class)--but still musical listening session, despite the fact that the M50 has a great overall frequency range.  The M50 (and the Shure & Beyer) are certainly built more solidly than is the CAL!.

How do you think Ultrasone headphones compare to the M50s? Or the SRH840 or the DT 770 Pro? (I have the open back Ultrasone HFI 2400) 
biggrin.gif
 I know I keep asking this question to many people, but I want an answer haha. :D

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #13,333 of 29,490

Quote:
How do you think Ultrasone headphones compare to the M50s? Or the SRH840 or the DT 770 Pro? (I have the open back Ultrasone HFI 2400) 
biggrin.gif
 I know I keep asking this question to many people, but I want an answer haha. :D

I like my Ultrsone HIFI 780 better than the M50, and about the same as the Beyer DT 770 Pro (the Ultrsone and Beyer have a similar sound signature).

The major problems with the M50 are that it gives an uneven performance across the frequency spectrum and sounds a bit too clinical and dry when doing it. 

The Ultrasone and Beyer are forward, fun and perhaps the closest things to Grado that aren't in the Grado family.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #13,334 of 29,490

Quote:
I like my Ultrsone HIFI 780 better than the M50, and about the same as the Beyer DT 770 Pro (the Ultrsone and Beyer have a similar sound signature).

The major problems with the M50 are that it gives an uneven performance across the frequency spectrum and sounds a bit too clinical and dry when doing it. 

The Ultrasone and Beyer are forward, fun and perhaps the closest things to Grado that aren't in the Grado family.

Oh okay....What about the Shure SRH840?

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #13,335 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fi ers, I am planning to buy a new pair of cans.  My choices are the grado SR80i and HiFiMan HE-400.  I know the price difference of these candidates are quite a bit. 

The reason why I'm asking is because I've never heard a pair of Grados in my life, and it's praised all over the internet in reviews.  Should I start off with SR80i then slowly move my way up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back