++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #12,766 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks so much!

So basically, it is looking like the XB700's.... they are £70 here which is way under budget.. would they shine better with an amp? Which one? 

In terms of sound quality, just for casual listening, is there much difference between the HFI and XB's?

Also, what is the difference in bass punch/quality/quantity between the XB500's and XB700's

Cheers!

I can only go off what I remember from memory so i can't answer any of those questions well :frowning2: but would they shine? i used it with an E5 i had on me but i wouldn't say they shine...again. i don't have them to do a test for you right now. most stores carrry them and let you test. havish. i dearly recommend you to go test them first, testing is the most important thing, you wont be able to test the HFI's but you should be able to test the XB's and if Beyer's make you go..imagine that X2. For casual listening i myself would prefer XB's, they are just so much more comfortable and give me that SUPER BASS that i want with my music when i just want to get out and go. that's why im about to buy a pair..no more listening at Bestbuy thinking about audiophile pride.im done with that. I've been here long enough to know all the pride, stereoytpes, bias'es that we head fi'ers like to put out. im just done with it, audiophile heapdhones..are basically studio headphones. i don't need studio heapdhones most times. i want music headphones(..nno not music studio headphones....i want casual headphones) so the XB500 or XB700 are on my list also.

Can't compare, i can only tell you my ... sittting there and enjoying sensations and not the actual punch levels and what not one's. there are many reviews of the XB's online, remember to only take to heart one's from audiophiles or ..audio places or if the person knows what they are talking about and uses some good terms, amazon and others don't o****..

oh and to make sure, plz buy from a place you can return from in the case that you won't be able to demo the XB500/XB700 and just go with it, I would hate to see you not like them(unlikely).

if someone else comes along and adds stuff, ill read and offer my opinions but plz, don't let my rank get into this... i was a newb one time too so i know what it's like. ooooo he has a nice shiny online plaque, he's an 100+ and omg he's an HS*le gasp*!!! ill take his over that guys. don't. read this with little bias between users and offer all parties that offer you suggestions and what not equally. too many people don't do this. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #12,768 of 29,490

Quote:
I can only go off what I remember from memory so i can't answer any of those questions well :frowning2: but would they shine? i used it with an E5 i had on me but i wouldn't say they shine...again. i don't have them to do a test for you right now. most stores carrry them and let you test. havish. i dearly recommend you to go test them first, testing is the most important thing, you wont be able to test the HFI's but you should be able to test the XB's and if Beyer's make you go..imagine that X2. For casual listening i myself would prefer XB's, they are just so much more comfortable and give me that SUPER BASS that i want with my music when i just want to get out and go. that's why im about to buy a pair..no more listening at Bestbuy thinking about audiophile pride.im done with that. I've been here long enough to know all the pride, stereoytpes, bias'es that we head fi'ers like to put out. im just done with it, audiophile heapdhones..are basically studio headphones. i don't need studio heapdhones most times. i want music headphones(..nno not music studio headphones....i want casual headphones) so the XB500 or XB700 are on my list also.

Can't compare, i can only tell you my ... sittting there and enjoying sensations and not the actual punch levels and what not one's. there are many reviews of the XB's online, remember to only take to heart one's from audiophiles or ..audio places or if the person knows what they are talking about and uses some good terms, amazon and others don't o****..

oh and to make sure, plz buy from a place you can return from in the case that you won't be able to demo the XB500/XB700 and just go with it, I would hate to see you not like them(unlikely).

if someone else comes along and adds stuff, ill read and offer my opinions but plz, don't let my rank get into this... i was a newb one time too so i know what it's like. ooooo he has a nice shiny online plaque, he's an 100+ and omg he's an HS*le gasp*!!! ill take his over that guys. don't. read this with little bias between users and offer all parties that offer you suggestions and what not equally. too many people don't do this. 

Thanks so much for all your help. 

I will be looking for somewhere to try them out! 

I will let you know how i get on when I get round to buying something!

Thanks again!

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #12,769 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks so much for all your help. 

I will be looking for somewhere to try them out! 

I will let you know how i get on when I get round to buying something!

Thanks again!

you're welcome, i would love to know how you liked the XB's plz PM me instead..i won't be on this thread long

anyone help me on my post above?

cheers

i know some like that..except isn't in the budget which is why i ...looked over it why not 

anybody know if the HARX JVC 700 will do? i know they are popular and are bassy but not much else

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #12,770 of 29,490
Are there any headphones similar to the ATH-M50, but has the option of letting me replace the cable with one that has iPod controls?  I thought the ATH-M50 would be perfect, but, once I received it in the mail, the cable was long enough to touch the floor and come back up to my pant's pockets.
frown.gif
So close..

I liked the sound, though..

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #12,771 of 29,490

Quote:
Are there any headphones similar to the ATH-M50, but has the option of letting me replace the cable with one that has iPod controls?  I thought the ATH-M50 would be perfect, but, once I received it in the mail, the cable was long enough to touch the floor and come back up to my pant's pockets.
frown.gif
So close..

I liked the sound, though..

......................coil your cable. the HFI 580's are similar but aren't removable and are long too. even if you get a DJ1 pro which isn't similar to the HFI 580's with removable cable...how are you going to add ipod contrrols anyway? that would requre some knowledge and thus...you would need to end up doing some mod's to the cable which would mean it doesn't matter if the cable is detachable or not as anybody that would and knows how to add ocntrols to a cable can easily open the headphone up.... 

however plz note there is something like the FiiO E1 it is an amp and LOD and has controls on it, this could work but would lengtehn your cable and possibly damage your ipod dock if you drop it or bend it the wrong way....coil your cable

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #12,772 of 29,490

Quote:
hi I'm looking for some decent headphones on a budget

long story short I'm off on a school trip to Paris which is a 10hr+ bus journey
with kids shouting and bus engine humming it will disturb my music

heres a list of requirements;

comfy
stylelish
noise cancelling
smallish
no leakage
price range £0-£50
closed
durable.

ive seen some Sony  xb300 and sennheiser  xr 200 or something like that
i know at that budget I won't get anything amazing and also I listen to dubstep
and drum and bass and rap and I'm using an iPod touch 4g if that helps.
thanks guys!

Well, I'm not to knowledgeable in this price range but I put my two cents in...
Note that I am basing my input on the assumption that the money symbol you used is for Euro and that it converts to approximately $75.
You listed noise cancelling in your requirements, yet the headphones you listed are not noise cancelling. I think you mean noise isolating which shields your ears from outside noise, whereas noise cancelling literally cancels any noise that gets through. The xr 200 also does not exist, I will assume that you are talking about the cx 200, a popular in ear from Sennheiser.
As far as in-ears go I would recommend the Klipsch S4 or the Klipsch S4i the only difference is $5 and the Apple ControlTalk cable. A quality headphone that sounds great with electronic. I'm not too sure how those cans do bass-wise, really only demoed them with music by The Killers and Deadmou5e. They are supposed to have deep bass. If you decide to go with over ear headphones the Sony XB300 will be a poor choice. Headphones that advertise just bass will likely only have just bass. If you buy from Amazon you should be able to get the XB500 within your budget.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #12,773 of 29,490
Hi all! I am currently using Bose QuietComfort 3, and Triple-fi 10 pro daily, and I am looking for an upgrade for my Bose QuietComfort 3, I find Bose's bass kinda muddy and blurry >< not nice! I want a pair of headphones that has detachable cables and it has good isolation, very little leakage and comfortable, because I will be mainly using them on the street (as i have my focal xs book at home :D) with or without an amp, in library, and in transport.

I listen to all kinds of songs including pop, dance, r n b, classical, opera, jazz, blues, just a mix of everything :p, so far i have the fedelio l1, Focal Spirit one, v-moda Lp2, sony z1000 in mind, just wondering which one u guys think will be the best for me or u can give me other suggestions :D

thanks!!!

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #12,774 of 29,490
Not considing HFI780 anymore but toss HE300 in there:)

Anyone?

Quote:
Looking for advice from people own or owned any pair of the headphones below:
ATH AD900, Beyer DT880 32ohm, Ultrasone HFI 780 [Hifiman HE300] and Alessandro MS1i.
I have heard many cans and dac/amps. But I sold them all and now using a udac2 and my TF10. I need a pair of full size cans that can be driven to its 95% or above with my udac2 as I'm not planning to buy any dac/amp anymore.
Here is a little more info:
Music: 30% pop, 30% rock, 35% metal and 5% classical.
Cans owned but sold: HD580, K701, ESW9, HF2, MS1i, D2000
Top priority: comfort
Favorite sound: sweet mid, airy and enough bass ( not a bass head)
I did not like the lack back sound from the HD580 and the very analytical sound fromthe K701. And the D2000 were just a disappointment to me, not sue where all the love came from for them.
Before you said that was amp problem, well I don't think so. While I owned the above cans, I also owned glimore lite, yulong d100, nuforce hdp and udac, and audiogd sparrow. I'm not sure if they would drive the above cans to their full potential but id say at least 90%?!.
My favorite were: HF2, ESW9 and MS1i. Sold HF2 because they were a bit too heavy on my head. Sold ESW9 because they were not air enough and the ear pads were not comfortable. Sold MS1i because they were my first real cans and I wanted better clarity out of them. All three share something I liked: sweet mids (not enough from ms1i) and enough bass and airy (not enough from esw9). I can stand the grado high and actually found they are pretty comfortable with comfy.
Now back to my question (sorry for the long read). Which of the cans above will be right for me? Just want to see if any cans can serve me better before I buy back the MS1i:)
Thanks for reading
Lee

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #12,776 of 29,490

Okay guys I am settling on three headphones. The Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm, the Ultrasone Pro 750 and the Ultrasone HFI 2400. Which is the best? I don't care if my headphones are open or closed. I mainly listen to hip hop and rock. I will be using a Fiio E6 and a Fiio L9 LOD. These headphones are in the 200-250 dollar range. ANy other suggestions in this price range?

Thanks,

LazBro123

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #12,777 of 29,490
Hi, I need your guys help to find me headphones that fit into the following criteria

* Over-ear(around-the-ear) headphones.
* Strictly for inside the house use.
* Changeable ear pads.
* Comfortable for long sessions.
* I estimate that I listen about 30% classic music, 60% metal/rock (ac/dc, charon, iron maiden, scorpions, sonic syndicate), 10% everything else rap, pop etc.
* My amp is Fiio E9
* Budget 150-200$.

List of what I have found after browsing this site and the internet (prices are converted from euros to dollars):

AKG K-240 MKII (156$)
AKG K-271 MKII (173$)
AKG K-601 (191$)
KRK KNS 8400 (193$)

So I wish that someone with expertise could tell me what headphone from those I listed, is best suited for me. If none of them, then suggest something else.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #12,778 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I need your guys help to find me headphones that fit into the following criteria
* Over-ear(around-the-ear) headphones.
* Strictly for inside the house use.
* Changeable ear pads.
* Comfortable for long sessions.
* I estimate that I listen about 30% classic music, 60% metal/rock (ac/dc, charon, iron maiden, scorpions, sonic syndicate), 10% everything else rap, pop etc.
* My amp is Fiio E9
* Budget 150-200$.
List of what I have found after browsing this site and the internet (prices are converted from euros to dollars):
AKG K-240 MKII (156$)
AKG K-271 MKII (173$)
AKG K-601 (191$)
KRK KNS 8400 (193$)
So I wish that someone with expertise could tell me what headphone from those I listed, is best suited for me. If none of them, then suggest something else.

I like my KNS 8400, but I do not think i would pay $193 for them (I got a used pair for $60).
As your in a house, get something open, like the Sennheiser HD-558s, (decent bass) good all around headphones.
And I know nothing about those AKG models, but I would pick from whatever is open.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #12,779 of 29,490
First of all, sorry for not getting to your questions sooner, as I've been busy the past few days. Also, they seem to have been quoted out of order, so scroll through all of them to find yours.

Quote:
Hey All,

Looking for a new set of cans along with amplifier if need be. I can spend up to 400 dollars total. 

1. I listen to mostly pop music and classical trumpet music (usually in flac). I enjoy trebly songs to come through clearly. Not much of a bass head but like some sort of bass presence. 
2. I'm primarily going to be using these headphones while working/walking so some decent isolation would be great. Replaceable cords and/or ability to fold would be a huge plus. I need something durable and have had cable problems in the past so replaceable cords are definitely high on my list. 
3. Previously owned the technics (http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_rpdh1200.asp) and a pair of nicer ultimate ears super fi (http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/ultimate-ears-super-fi/4505-7877_7-31453329.html) with Comply foam tips (T-500). The IEMS were great but were uncomfortable at times and the cable had a lot of microphonics.
4. Let me know if I need to add more information to get better recommendations. 

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Hi im new to the forums and such but i was wondering what headphones to buy i prefer full size closed back cans. My budget is under $400. Im also going to be travelling alot this year so i have looked into the bose and i like them for the fact that the NC is great and they're super comfortable but the SQ just wasnt good enough. Oh and also don't mention beats they horrible pieces of trash. (i bought a pair when i was dumb) So to recap i want a pair of headphones that are full sized closed back and noise cancel. thank you for any replies.

I don't know that you'll find a lot of ANC cans with good sound quality, as they seem to sacrifice sound quality for the noise cancelling. Have you tried passively isolating closed backs? they don't isolate nearly as much, but can sound better and isolate enough for most purposes.

Quote:
Darn it.  I didn't see this thread when I created a thread haha.  Well anyway.

As I understand it, open headphones are better for fps since it has a better sound stage, but I can't have that because I don't want to disturb my house. What are some good closed headphones for gaming and music for about $100-$150? Also I like music with a good amount of bass and I've used my friends Sennheiser 555 a few times and it's not really my type. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the ATH-M50s. Wonder how those are. Would love more suggestions, thanks!

M50s are nice for music, but they have competition at $150 and may not be the best for gaming. In this price range there's also the HFI780/580s.

Quote:
Fahhhhhkkkk me. I just snapped my second pair of headphones in 2 months. First the Shure SHR-840s, now my Nixon RPMs. Just taking them off my head casually and the plastic near the metal joint snapped. Super glued what i could, but now they kinda leak due to the angle the snap was in. They were always too tight anyways so I wanted a new headset.

So... now - looking for some new headphones. I'm running sound through my Asus STX soundcard. I listen to a lot of everything and don't want to constantly switch headsets. I'm not an audiofile so I don't care about perfect sound. What's most important to me is gaming, so a headset with a good sound stage that lets me know what direction gun shots, footsteps and explosions are coming from is very important!

Any suggestions would be loved.

Well, for one thing, your headphones won't stop breaking if you abuse them, so if that seems to be a trend, you might want to reconsider how you treat your headphones. Also, will you be using these portably? If not, something like the AD700 will give you excellent soundstaging.

Quote:
1st Post Here.

I'm looking for some on-ear headphones but I can live with over-the-ear headphones as well.
My budget cannot exceed $175. I refuse to buy an Beats that are severely overpriced and are none better than some $20 skullcandys,
I do however like the portability of the Beats Solo headphones [they suck @$$ quality wise, and are cheaply made]
I am a college student who commutes and I need headphones for my laptop and ipod.
I do not make music or produce music. I am purely an music enthusiast.
The type of music I listen to : Orchestral [40%] RB [20%] Rock [20%] (Rap, Hiphop, Country, etc) [20%]
I do travel alot and tend to beat up my headphones so durability is so what a concern. I do not prefer excess bulk.

I want some thing that has the best audio quality [one that can hit from low to high] for at around the price range of $175.
I need something that is somewhat comfortable.
I need headphones that are definitely portable.
I need something that is built sturdy and pretty durable.
The visual appeal does not have to be great as long as it serves it purpose.

Right now the only thing I can think of buying is the  V-MODA Crossfade M-80 or V-MODA Crossfade LP

Please make some suggestions for me. I'm only looking to buy via Amazon or Ebay.
Thank you.

The M80s are a solid choice and seem to fit all your requirements. The original crossfade LPs tend to be muddy and are a step down in terms of sound quality, though the LP2s have supposedly fixed some of those problems.

Quote:
My post seemed to have been overlooked (===___===)

But from 3-4 pages back:

"Situation. 

I'm looking for a new set. I currently own the A700 and the M50's running off a PA2V2 (will upgrade later on, but no need in paying for what I can't utilize or need yet). 

My m50's have an issue with high treble shrilling and getting a very close static sound even on flac files running from a custom HD audio card in my laptop. My A700's handle treble far better, but the static is BARELY present. As in you have to really analyze it to hear it. Anyways, the point being is that I love the a700's, but I want a more refined version of them. 

My listening preferences:

High treble extension without shrilling (aka nothing too rolled off and a tad warm in sound signature)
Tight and Accurate bass (Something where you get the punch of a snare without muddle resonance)
Slightly forward Mid-range with an emphasis in the 500-4k band (Vocal Clarity)

Music I listen to:

Techno/Future Trance
Chillout (lot of instrumental/ambience)
Drum & Bass
Progressive Rock

Headphone needs:

Closed back
Non-fatiguing (usually brought on by a signature that's TOO forward)
Extended usage in a single sitting (5-6hrs+)
Over-Ear

Cost: Under $350

Portability is not a concern. If there's anything higher than 64ohm's I'll upgrade AMP/DAC, but I'll need to know what'd pair really well with the suggestions.

Thoughts?"

Not sure about the shrilling, but maybe check out the Denon D2000s?

Quote:
Koss dj100 vs Sony XB500 vs AKG 142hd
these are around the same price. I am looking at get two of the three.
Bass is a must. I own a pair of dre solo(free) and Panny RP-HTF 600. Love the 600 and they sound great with a PA2V2. Thanks all.

The XB500s are very bassy, but sound a bit veiled in the mids and highs because of it. The DJ100 have a good reputation as sub-$100 neutral cans, and I have not heard anything about the AKGs.

Quote:
Looking for a good pair of headphones under the price of $100
I've been looking at the; Denon AHD510 & Shure SRH240

which one has better sound quality?
I'm also open to suggestions for other heaphones

thanks in advance!

Also check out the CAL and Koss DJ100

Quote:
Fi,

I need some suggestions on my first set of Grados. I have read a lot about them but since I am so new to hi(er) end audio, I dont want to make too many several hundred dollar decisions on my own. I just got my first set of "Good" cans a few weeks ago. After listening to both the ATH M50s and the ATH PRO700MK2s, I went with the latter with the 50 pads. LOVE them for hip hop, electronic and metal with heavy double bass drums. Now I want a nice set of open back cans. 

At this point I dont think its about "Which Grados to get?", Its a matter of "Which Grados to get FIRST".

MUSIC: I listen to everything. From underground hip hop to every electronic genre under the sun to folk to classical rock to oldies. I listen to It ALL. 

PRICE RANGE: Under $600 if possible. I am willing to buy used. If I can get $800 grados used for $600, im all about it. 

SOURCE: Right now, Phone running PowerAMP. In 2 weeks, Ibasso DX100.

Can someone steer me in the direction to start looking first?

Maybe try the SR60s first and upgrade quickly if you like them? No sense in dropping $500+ on a sound sig you've never heard. You can easily sell off the SR60 later if you decide to upgrade.

Quote:
Okay, Right now all i have that i actually listen to is the srh840. Right now i am trying to decide my next purchase, but the problem is i cannot figure out if the next logical step is an amp(since i've heard that the srh840 does not greatly benefit from an amp) or getting a new set of phones. The problem with getting a new set of phones is all i am running out of right now is a realtek intergrated soundcard, which is not supposed to be particularily good. So i need some advice as to what is probably the better logical step to go towards, and as i do not have infinite sums of money, i will likely be atleast a 1-2 month break to buy anything else. Thank you for any advice you can offer. If how i currently feel about my headphones is at question, right now they sound good, but just a little boring, I don't have anything worthy to compare them to though.

Personally, I say upgrade the headphones, but it depends on how attached you are to the 840 sound signature

Quote:
Wow you weren't kidding. Thanks for the link!

I did check out the thread, although at first very overwhelming for me, I finally made a decision to later probably purchase the HiFiMan RE-0 IEMs. At first I didn't like the way he made them sound, but after going back and reading through some descriptions of IEMs I've heard, I think I would very much like these for their price. Yeah I'm going for fun that can give me a kick for the bass. I'll have to check out the two you mentioned.

Eh, not sure if the bass will work for you, but ok...

Quote:
anyone know any headphones better than beats pro and cheaper i dont mind style i want sound

That's super vague... Maybe look into the Denon D2000s?

Quote:
Hi, I would like recommendations.

I listen often 1 music for a long time, and the genre change a lot.

But I will try to summary what I mainly like.

I listen often to yeah yeah yeahs, modest mouse and rammstein. A little of pop in general, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears mostly or something alike and just a few musics of each or some random music that I think it's good.
I like old rock too, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin but just few tracks and I don't listen to it always.

I love bass, and I listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qgai8gJ9SQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI just to enjoy the bass, nothing more.

At moment, i'm listening mostly rolling in the deep from adele, like I said... I listen to just one music mostly of the time in periods, ant the genre it's not always the same. So I would like to enjoy Adele voice too.

Sub $400, please!

Thanks in advance.

D2000s?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #12,780 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello.

I'm looking for some headphones for the office. My main criteria are:

1) Comfort (not clamping)
2) Low leakage
3) Sound quality
4) Budget is around 300€

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser PX-200. At the volume I'm listening to music, they don't seem to leak at all. (Which I find pretty amazing for something that's on-the-ear. My coworker's in-ear thingies leak a LOT more.) Any new pair I'm buying should leak just as little as these. (Or less.) For another reference point, I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's, and those definitely leak too much.

I want to switch away from the PX-200 because the padding on one ear is starting to fray. I'm also getting annoyed with having them push on my ears for hours at a time.

Type of music I'm listening to: alternative rock, indie rock, some metal. Think Tool, Muse, Radiohead, Eels. Also classical music. And Rammstein.

Any suggestions? To emphasize: sound leakage (to the outside, the other way around is a bit less important) and comfort are the absolute most important criteria here.

Anybody? I'm not proposing anything myself because I don't want to pollute the suggestion pool :)

(Although I was looking at the Denon AH-D2000 but that seems to leak too much.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back