++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #12,662 of 29,490
I've been using Head-fi for a few months now and I have only just discovered this thread. Silly me! Need a bit of help to purchase some headphones so here goes.....

I absolutely love the sound of my PX100-ii's but seeing as I am only using them at home I am looking for something with a bigger and more engulfing sound while retaining a similar signature.

I've seen Sennheiser HD408's and was wondering would they provide this? I am ideally looking for open, on-ear designs.

All advice and opinions welcome...thanks

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #12,663 of 29,490

Quote:
I'd put Westone 3 or um3x on your list no amp necessary but will benefit if you do

Hey man

Thanks for the advice! Sadly, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I'm not too keen on IEMs. I find the experience too isolating and would rather want on/over ears. Any recommendations then? 
1. 400$, balanced, replaceable cords (extra plus), Strong treble presence

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #12,664 of 29,490

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is a really good song to show off the sound of  headphones or to test them.

You need to pick a group of songs or an album you like and know well.  Of course the recording must be of high quality (I'm sure that is another by itself) with wide range of frequencies and other enough going on where you can check your soundstage, clarity, separation and the like.  Use a CD without compression or quality vinyl.  There may be some uncompressed downloadable stuff that would work, but you'll have to get that from someone else.

For this old guy two my favorites (that are not special audiophile releases) are:

"Blood, Sweat & Tears" (2000 remaster)--you should be able to tell a significant difference between the original album and the live bonus tracks.

Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" (2002 Rhino)--double CD live recording of amazing quality plus bonus tracks.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #12,665 of 29,490
Hi everybody,

I'm new at this, so I'm not used to the jargon, but I'll try my best to be accurate =)
I'm looking for headphones preferrably in the $60-80 price range, but willing to spend up to $100 if it makes a big difference. I've looked around the forum and narrowed my choices to a few models (but any suggestion is more than welcome). I usually listen to rock/metal and classic, sometimes dubstep. So I'd like to buy an all-rounded pair, with good bass, but a trade-off between bass and  mid-high frequencies is preferred to something with very good bass only. Noise isolation makes a big difference, but noise cancellation is not necessary. I'm willing to buy new or used.
So, these are the models I've seen:

Audio-Technica TAD400
M-Audio Studiophile Q40
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO
Sennheiser HD-203
Samson SR850

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #12,666 of 29,490
Looks like i'm back with more questions LOL.....

I went over to Addicted To Audio (Melbourne) the other day and trialed quite a few different headphones..
M50, AD700, SRH840, HFI580, DJ1, PRO700MK2, one of the Beyer DTs...and some i cant remember
Of all of them, I really liked the HFI-580 and the Shure SRH840..580s a tad more i'd say...
The guy who runs the place said that out of the ones that were available for trial, the only ones that met my needs of a CLOSED set of PORTABLE headphones that do well with HIP-HOP, RAP and a tad of DUBSTEP as well as gaming were the HFI-580 and the Shure SRH840s....

APPARENTLY, they have a soundstage good enough for gaming.. because i couldnt test them with any games, i dont really know...

I PMed a member of these forums who had recommended to another meber the SRH940 for gaming and according to him, "As far as competitive tracking goes - ie directional positioning - the SRH 940 is definitely better - it just has more detail retrieval, so it's clearer. The SRH 840 is more 'fun' though - it's more immersive because of the mid-bass. Neither is particularly good on sound-stage"

He reckons that, "If you want a cheap closed allrounder - that is really good with music, and still ok at gaming - consider the Fischer FA003 / Brainwavz HM5. You'll find plenty of reviews around for both. I currently own the HM5 - and it's a really good can"..

"SRH940 was pretty good for gaming - but very narrow genre range for music. To me, the SRH 840 was a lot better for music (not as detailed, and bass a little boomy at times - but at least it sounded real)."

Sorry about the quoting crap and massive posting, but can someone tell me whether any of the mentioned headphones are worth getting? I have read MLE's Gaming thread but didnt find much because that is based around use with Dolby Headphone..

Thanks, Abz :D

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #12,667 of 29,490
Hey.

I'm looking at either Audio Technica M50S's or AKG-K240 MKII's. 

Audio Technica: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=pd_cp_e_3

AKG: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240MKII-STUDIO-STANDARD-55OHM/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I'll be buying either a ASUS Xonar DX or ASUS Xonar D1 sound card for the headphones. This way I can achieve a 7.1 effect in game, but with audiophile quality headphones. I've tried several gaming headsets, but I'm too picky about sound quality.  

I'm really liking the look of the AKG's; they haven't gotten much notoriety, which is why I've come to consult this forum. 

Thanks

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #12,669 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking at either Audio Technica M50S's or AKG-K240 MKII's. 
Audio Technica: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=pd_cp_e_3
AKG: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240MKII-STUDIO-STANDARD-55OHM/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
I'll be buying either a ASUS Xonar DX or ASUS Xonar D1 sound card for the headphones. This way I can achieve a 7.1 effect in game, but with audiophile quality headphones. I've tried several gaming headsets, but I'm too picky about sound quality.  
I'm really liking the look of the AKG's; they haven't gotten much notoriety, which is why I've come to consult this forum. 

The Xonar DG is cheaper and comes with better headphone amplifier.
(if the DX & D1 even have a headphone amplifier is still up for debate).
The ATH-M50 do not seem to be great surround sound.
The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) appear to be a Taiwan/China Knock off of that AKG.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #12,670 of 29,490

Quote:
The Xonar DG is cheaper and comes with better headphone amplifier.
(if the DX & D1 even have a headphone amplifier is still up for debate).
The ATH-M50 do not seem to be great surround sound.
The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) appear to be a Taiwan/China Knock off of that AKG.

Why should he go with the cheapest and lower quality Xonar card? The DX is a superior card, and comes with an additional amped output.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #12,671 of 29,490

Quote:
Why should he go with the cheapest and lower quality Xonar card? The DX is a superior card, and comes with an additional amped output.

The Xonar DG comes with better headphone amplification then the DX, I've plugged the same headphones into both.
The Xonar DX will do 8 channel headphone surround sound, the DG only 6 channel.
The DX/D1 are 24/192, while the DG is only 24/96
The DX/D1 will do analog speaker 7.1, the DG analog speaker 5.1
The DX/D1 audio processor, CMI8788 was designed off the DG audio processor, CMI8786.
The DG is more reliable then the DX.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #12,672 of 29,490

Quote:
The Xonar DG comes with better headphone amplification then the DX, I've plugged the same headphones into both.
They both do 8 channel headphone surround sound.
The DX/D1 are 24/192, while the DG is only 24/96
The DX/D1 will do analog speaker 7.1, the DG analog speaker 5.1
The DX/D1 audio processor, CMI8788 was designed off the DG audio processor, CMI8786.
The DG is more reliable then the DX.

How exactly is the DG more reliable. Amuse me. Oh, and if you don't hear audible differences between the DG and the DX, then there's something wrong there.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Xonar DX has an AV100 audio processor, which is a modified CMI8788 chip (which along with other features, have a better DAC and far higher SNR), unlike the CMI8786 that was used on the later Xonar DG. So yes, the Xonar DX is superior, and since Abacusrexx is looking for higher sound quality, the Xonar DX is a better purchase. But I agree that having additional amping is useful, and getting an external headphone amplifier would be a sensible choice. But skimping on the quality of the source is not the way to go, quality that is lacking on the Xonar DG, compared to the Xonar DX.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #12,674 of 29,490
Posted this in its standalone thread and just not noticed this Thread, whoops! haha :p Well here it is:

Okay, well as far as Headphones are concerned I'm effectively a total noob in the department. I currently have a pair of Klipsch Image S4 in ears for use for the majority of my music but I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of on ears/over ears.

Primarily I listen to EDM music as I'm a huge EDM junkie and love the Electronic Genre as a whole. I'm also currently trying to teach myself how to produce with Ableton and just fiddling around with it which I find extremely fun and intend to take it to a more serious extent over the summer and I might start DJ'ing at some point next year. Aside from EDM, Indie/Classic Rock are my secondary choices for music and hold up a large bulk of my Music Collection so headphones that took these into consideration would be nice as well!

I'm looking to spend no more then $200 on a pair of Headphones at the moment, preferably under $150. Also I have no problem with buying a pair of used Headphones and if I can get more bang for my buck, would actually preferably like to buy a pair used. Also I would like a pair that would be effective when walking around as well as I'd probably frequently use them on my average commutes through my Campus and going out anywhere in general as well as using them at home.

Upon first thought's I was looking at a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's from a recommendation of a friend who I know has them, however I can't test them out as he unfortunately lives nowhere near me. So I figured I'd post on this website and see some opinions of people who are more versed on the subject! Any help would be appreciated! Also I'm not in a super rush for finding a pair as I plan on buying them in 2-3 weeks. So, any recommendations? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back