++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #12,376 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm after :
something thats good for hip-hop, rap, dubstep and whichever category Coldplay falls into.
something thats good for FPS gaming, thus needs sufficient bass for the explosions yet so that i can still hear the footsteps and directions..
something portable so that i can wear it outside, on buses, trains, planes and so on..
something that can run off my phone and at times, my computer (via the 3.5mm jack, obviously)..

...up to $200

With everything you've listed... I'm tempted to suggest the Astro A30's with the MixAmp. They're built by a gaming headset company, but they're very versatile and seem to meet all the criteria you have.

The MixAmp provides you with amplified audio and 5.1 surround sound for gaming.
The Boom mic is detachable so you don't look ridiculous wearing them outdoors
There is an additional built in mic used in the cable, so you can take calls with them on the go
I haven't heard complaints about bass or lack-there-of since you've listed bass heavy genres

http://www.astrogaming.com/audio-systems/a30-audio-systems/a30-audio-system-astro-edition

You can also create custom "tags" for the side of the headset, pretty cool if you're looking for a unique look.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #12,378 of 29,490

I just tried them earlier at a local store, cups are too small, not as comfy, and doesn't sound very good on my phone. It does sound great though on my laptop when I tried that out at the store. Everything on the HM5 looks amazing except for the size,i tried the AKG and it BARELY fits under my hood, barely. So should I risk it and get the HM5 or just go with the M50s, or Shure 840? Those two I can try first at the local store before buy, HM5 I cannot. 
Quote:
It may be a bit smaller in the earcups, but I don't know how the sound compares.However, it may also add a little height on the headband side, because of the double headband, which the HM5 lacks. The HM5s are indeed a bit wide in the cups, but I think it'll still fit under a standard hood. Also, the HM5 fits all your other requirements better than the AKGs, and the short cable options means it can be used comfortably as a portable. My recommendation is still with the HM5s. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #12,379 of 29,490
HFI780? comparable sound to the M50s, and better soundstage. I wager it'll sound better than that gaming headset, though it lacks a mic.

What about the HFI580? Apparently the 780s have less bass compared to the 580?? Or is the 780 just bassy enough for gaming..like being able to hear the footsteps and still having the BOOM of the explosions??

@DrawTheLine I must say they do seem to meet all my needs especially the portability part :) Thanks for pointing those out :) Gonna look up if using it with a PC if easy and if so, I might grab these..too.. :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #12,380 of 29,490

Quote:
How similar are the hifiman he-300 to the grado sr225i because I love the sound of my grado sr60i's and I was going to upgrade to the sr225i's but he-300's really caught my eye any help is appreciated

Sorry, don't know much about the he-300s. It's probably fairly different though, given the grados' distinctive sound signature, and if you like that, you might just want to stick with them.

Quote:
I just tried them earlier at a local store, cups are too small, not as comfy, and doesn't sound very good on my phone. It does sound great though on my laptop when I tried that out at the store. Everything on the HM5 looks amazing except for the size,i tried the AKG and it BARELY fits under my hood, barely. So should I risk it and get the HM5 or just go with the M50s, or Shure 840? Those two I can try first at the local store before buy, HM5 I cannot. 

Well if you can try the M50s and 840s, by all means go do so, as the main issue with those could be comfort for prolonged use. Also, the portion of the headband right above the cups tends to stick out quite a bit, if the hood thing is still an issue. Though if the AKGs didn't, I don't know if any of these others will either...

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #12,381 of 29,490

Quote:
What about the HFI580? Apparently the 780s have less bass compared to the 580?? Or is the 780 just bassy enough for gaming..like being able to hear the footsteps and still having the BOOM of the explosions??
@DrawTheLine I must say they do seem to meet all my needs especially the portability part
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for pointing those out
smily_headphones1.gif
Gonna look up if using it with a PC if easy and if so, I might grab these..too..
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the 580s are the bassier of the two, but the 780s still have above-neutral bass. The 580s might have too much, depending on your tastes.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #12,383 of 29,490

Quote:
So what the difference between the 580 and the 780 other than the bass? Also, do the 780s isolate well? And do they leak much?

I don't know a whole lot, but as far as I can tell, the 780s have less bass, more detail, and are more refined all around. I've heard they isolate pretty well, probably as much as any other DJ can like the M50s, and by the same token, they won't leak much.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #12,384 of 29,490
I need a comparo.  I'm really oogling the K601's.  I'm looking at graphs and fresponse seems very similar to DT880's.  Anyone have first hand on these two?  i love beyer comfort.

then again, I'm wondering if i should go back to where i was and get 990's with a better source and similar or better amp.

my last post.  mostly posting this to show my music taste.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596597/recommend-some-cans#post_8167402

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #12,385 of 29,490
I don't know a whole lot, but as far as I can tell, the 780s have less bass, more detail, and are more refined all around. I've heard they isolate pretty well, probably as much as any other DJ can like the M50s, and by the same token, they won't leak much.

Is the bass enough for footsteps and boomy explosions? And guessing by the reputation of the 780, the soundstage allows pinpointing the direction of the sounds to a certain extent?

Umm...some bloke on avsforums: "They are the worst headphones that i've owned for gaming. Great detail but horrible soundstage. When used with Dolby Headphone, i could not judge the sound distance at all." Anything creditable in this statement??

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #12,386 of 29,490
Hi, I asked for advice yesterday, someone suggested the Ultrasone 780's, and I read up on them and added them to my list.

First off I am a very noob audiophile, that is why I come here for advice. I live in South Africa and the number of stores where I can go and try out different cans are limited to say the least. I plan to ask my parents to bring me a pair of cans from the USA when they come to SA in April.

So now my list looks as follows:
 - Ultrasone HFi 780
 - Fischer Audio FA-003
 - Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 or 80ohm)

From everything I read I think the Denon D2000 would be perfect for me, if not maybe a little bassy, BUT they are out of my price range as I simply cannot justify spending so much on them. I also included the ATH-M50s on my list but it seems many are opposed to them and saying at their current price ($160-ish) they are not nearly as class-leading as they were at $100-120.

Attributes I value:
 - comfortable (will have them on for long stratches, plan to use them at work so roughly 8hours a day)
 - durable (I want to be able to use them for working hours for the next 5+ years, I look after my gear and will never walk around with them on)
 - closed (isolation as I work in a very open plan office)
 - high SQ without being super bass heavy (I use Grado SR80i's for 3+ years now and like their sound a lot but they have obvious drawbacks in such an open environment)
 - relatively understated looks (this is another plus to the Denon, and probably what puts me off the shiny Ultrasones the most)
 - driven relatively easily (plan to use my phone - a droid RAZR, but I am also quite keen to build a DIY amp later on as I enjoy DIY challenges)

From what I understand the DT770s are maybe a bit too bassy for my liking, the frequency response of the Ultrasones and my SR80s look very similar to my relatively untrained eye (obviously the Grados will have a very different soundstage).

The FA-003 look quite nice to me, they look quite understated like the Denon's. I also quite like the fact that you get an additional set of cushions + a cable that is easily user replacable (as I plan to use them for 5+ years). They also look quite light and others say they are very comfortable so wearing them for hours on end should be a breeze. I see the FA-003's have a big dip midway through their frequency response graphs, can such a dip be eq'ed out? I dont necessarily want a super flat curve (as I said I like the sound of my Grado's)

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #12,387 of 29,490
Hi guys,
need a little friendly advice here.

Might be looking to start on my home rig now that I've more of less settled my portable one.
I'm having trouble deciding on a headphone that fits me because there are so many!
If it helps, previous IEMs I've owned are tf10, sm3v2, 4R and I like all of them for the strengths.

I've recently tried on the Senn HD600, HD650, AKG 702 and found the 600 to be more to my liking.
Comfort and sound signature wise. However, as the store only has ibasso portable amps, I feel like the amp was not powering the headphones with authority and all of the headphones sounded so weak so I'm not sure if that might have affected my decision that I prefer the 600 over the rest.

Also, any recommendations for other headphones I should try the next time I visit the hi-fi store?
Budget isn't really an issue and I just want it to be good.
Factors important to me include, comfort(since I wear it often and for long durations), earpads have to be durable, open or closed doesn't matter and I'm looking to purchase a good desktop amp to complement my headphones it does not have to be easy to drive.

Lastly, any top of the line models that I should look out for with a sound signature that is close to the 600 maybe?

Thank you!

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #12,388 of 29,490
sorry for this, I keep asking for more advice, but I really wanna be sure :|
so I've also found the sennheiser 205-II. it's 45 euros. the creative aurvana live 60+ euros (internet site from abroad..) and the audio technica t300 50 euros
the AKG-K81 wire is too long for portable use, which can be quite irritating. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #12,389 of 29,490
kurd, I dont know what changed on the senn 205-II in relation to the 205's but a friend of mine has the older 205's and I was far from impressed when listening to them and A-B-ing them to my Grado SR80s (I know the Grado's are more expensive).

If the open-nature of the Grado's does not bother you (the isolation is very poor by design) then I would take a very good look at the SR60's if I were you (and if they would fit into your budget). Others will have other suggestions but I found his Senn 205's to be very plasticky (felt cheap plastics to me) and it left a lot to be desired SQ wise, I can only make suggestions based on cans I have listened to in that price range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back