++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #12,406 of 29,490
You should head over to the Portable and IEM forum. I think they'll help give you some good help over there. 

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, but there is some great info,

im looking to upgrade from these ****ty stock apple head phones to something alot better,,  

im currently looking at ibeats by dre, Monster Jamz and Skullcandy 50/50s 

I want a in ear head phone that packs alot of bass ( as i listen to alot of dub step, electro, heavy bass music) 

Ideally in the 100-150 price bracket..... reply on this Thread or message me personally would be great.

:)

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #12,407 of 29,490

Quote:
Tbh I found your main post easier to read through than your TL;DR. 
tongue.gif

Anyway, I completely understand your train of thought, and I think that decision will depend on how much you plan on using your headphones on the go versus at home. If you plan on listening a lot on trains and planes, etc, you might be better off getting the nice portable (DT1350, HD25-1, M80, etc), as you'll probably get more use out of them that way. On the other hand, if you'll be doing most of your listening with your home rig, go for the open cans, for the reasoning above. 

Alternatively, an interesting middle ground could be to get an open can like the HD598s or Q701s for your home rig, and the portable for use on the go. Of course, this depends on the price you're getting on the HD650s. They used to go for ~$350 all the time, but the price has shot up lately to ~$500. At that price, tbh, the 650s aren't that great a deal, given that the comparable HD600 still goes for ~$315.

Ha!  That'll teach me to try and be concise!  

Anyway, what you said made a lot of sense and resounded with some thoughts I had, so I've decided to stick with open cans.  Now I just have to figure out which pair to go with, but I think I'm in good shape.  Many thanks for the advice! :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #12,408 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am listening to my 780s right now, I haven't heard the 580s, but you would never catch me saying the 780s don't have enough bass. They have plenty, quite enough IMO. Some bassheads find them boring compared to the 580s, but I think they are fantastic in detail and clarity. All that said, I wouldn't suggest them for gaming and haven't heard many others speak highly of them for that. I don't know about 'the worst headphones that I've owned for gaming' you can rarely trust those kinds of extreme statements about anything, but I wouldn't recommend them for that use.

Hmmm...i read up a bit more on whats so special about the S-Logic surround stuff and apparently theres not a lot to it except a bigger soundstage compared to other closed headphones :frowning2:

Would you know of any other headphones that are like the HFI780 in terms of price, sound, isolation and portability yet are good enough for FPS gaming?

Cheers dude, Abz :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #12,409 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I'm new here and don't know much about headphone. I got the IEM SoundMagic PL50 before, but I found it missing something when I listen to Beyonce. I'm currently interested in those Sony MDR-ZX100s and Sony MDR ZX-300s. So, could you guys give me any comparison of those two? I listen to all sorts of music, but I rarely listen to dance.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #12,411 of 29,490
I am having a bit of trouble here deciding which headphones(headphones only) to get. 

Two of the genre I listen to the most are Hip hop and Rock. I would be leaning towards have headphones with booming base.
These headphones are generally for home use and airplane use too. Noise canceling would be good plus also. I have read in some other 
thread that the noise canceling feature reduces the sound quality quite some bit, is this true and would it be noticeable? Perhaps rock and hiphop are 
considered opposite genres and it is pretty hard to find a good headphone to satisfy the two, but I am just wondering if there is any cans out there that
does the job well in two worlds. Hip hop would be ruled over rock though.

My budget is 350 or less. Obviously, the cheaper the better, however, I would rather invest a little bit more in these headphones than just buy a cheap
pair and be disappointed in them. I prefer these cans to be used for quite some time, so perhaps spending more money on it would be better in the long run. 

I am not know a lot in terms of which headphones are good, so therefore it would be super if you guys can help me out!!!

Once again, I would like noise canceling, but if it does effect sound quality, then forget it.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #12,412 of 29,490

Quote:
The different prices for the SHO9560 I think are because one is Amazon.co.uk, while the other is on the U.S. Amazon. $59 is probably a pretty good deal on them, esp. since it seems to be cheaper than in the U.S. I don't really think the other one is a very good deal tbh, but I don't know a whole lot about that model. Maybe get the Philips for now, and upgrade when you come stateside?

Okay, I am going to buy Philips SHO9560 - $59, people say pretty good things about SHO8801 too but SHO9560 seems to be the better one. I will upgrade it when I come to US, with a normal price. Thank you for your help.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #12,413 of 29,490
Hello!
I am going to buy a new pair of headphones, and I'm in desperate need of advice. Currently I'm looking at Sennheiser 518/558/598 series, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and Beyerdynamic DTX-910. The budget is low, and 598 is maximum I can afford. Going to use them with my pc, so I plan to get Xonar D1/DX or maybe Audiotrak Prodigy.
The goal is not to buy the most expensive headphones, but to get ones which play the best for their pricetag. All kinds of opinions and advices are welcome.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #12,414 of 29,490
I need comfort.  There's no point in getting great sounding headphones that I don't want to wear.  I also need some bass.  

Quote:
I can't really comment on sound, but I've heard that the K601s can be very hard to drive. And just curious, why did you rule out Grados? It seems like you listen to a lot of metal.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #12,415 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I own the ATH-M50, and they are fantastic headphones, but I am browsing online and I am looking for another pair of great headphones.

I think I am probably going to buy the HFI780. I listen to hip hop, rap and rock. Do you think the Ultrasone HFI780 is a better pair of headphones than the M50s?

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #12,416 of 29,490
Pref. Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap.
Pref. Sound: Yes, I like large portions of rich meaty bass, but without skimping on quality vocals and mids with somewhat distinct highs.
Budget:      $0~160
What I found:
I am looking for maximum portability,and decent isolation. as I am already very used to IEM's. Having a removable cable is a must.

M-Audio Q40- Seems to be what I need, bassy sound sig, removable cable,  cups seem to large for portable use, however.
XB500/700 - Lack of removable cable. I really don't need THIS much bass. Treble seems much to recessed. Much too bulky. 
ATH-M50 - Too Neutral/ Boring Sounding. Lack of removable cable.
K181DJ- Don't know too many people that were actually impressed by these. Not interested.
HFi-580/780 - Lack of removable (10 foot!! ) cable. 
V-Moda M-80 - Too Neutral, lack of decent isolation. Over- Budget.
V-Moda LP - Nice bass depth, could be a decent value at $100.
Pro700Mk.2 - The one I am the most interested in. Deep bass and removable cable while still being portable. The small amount of reviews talk about comfort problems, however. 

Besides these, any other reccomendations? If not, I think I will go for the pro700, or if my budget randomly cuts, the LP. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #12,417 of 29,490

Quote:
Pref. Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap.
Pref. Sound: Yes, I like large portions of rich meaty bass, but without skimping on quality vocals and mids with somewhat distinct highs.
Budget:      $0~160
What I found:
I am looking for maximum portability,and decent isolation. as I am already very used to IEM's. Having a removable cable is a must.

M-Audio Q40- Seems to be what I need, bassy sound sig, removable cable,  cups seem to large for portable use, however.
XB500/700 - Lack of removable cable. I really don't need THIS much bass. Treble seems much to recessed. Much too bulky. 
ATH-M50 - Too Neutral/ Boring Sounding. Lack of removable cable.
K181DJ- Don't know too many people that were actually impressed by these. Not interested.
HFi-580/780 - Lack of removable (10 foot!! ) cable. 
V-Moda M-80 - Too Neutral, lack of decent isolation. Over- Budget.
V-Moda LP - Nice bass depth, could be a decent value at $100.
Pro700Mk.2 - The one I am the most interested in. Deep bass and removable cable while still being portable. The small amount of reviews talk about comfort problems, however. 

Besides these, any other reccomendations? If not, I think I will go for the pro700, or if my budget randomly cuts, the LP. 

How about the Shure SRH750DJ? Check them out. :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #12,418 of 29,490
I've raised my budget because I couldn't really find something interesting for 50 euros max. 
I'm still counting the creative aurvana live in, they still seem pretty good, from what I've heard on this forum. 
but I've raised my budget to 80 euros. I tried the sony zx-700, I liked them a lot, the sound quality sounds good to me. I'm not a sound quality expert though. 
are there any other headphones out there around 80 euros that are better than the zx-700 or comparable? and which is actually better here, the CAL or the zx-700? 
thanks!

oh and if someone knows a reliable source to buy the CAL!, could you please share the link? 

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #12,419 of 29,490

Quote:
Hmmm...i read up a bit more on whats so special about the S-Logic surround stuff and apparently theres not a lot to it except a bigger soundstage compared to other closed headphones :frowning2:

Would you know of any other headphones that are like the HFI780 in terms of price, sound, isolation and portability yet are good enough for FPS gaming?

Cheers dude, Abz :)

Yea, I like the S-Logic, it does widen the soundstage a bit, but it probably isn't going to create enough of a 3D type sound for gaming. Not many closed headphones that are made for music are going to be good for that though. I'd say you should search the forums for other gaming friendly sets as I don't have knowledge of them.

Hey guys,

I own the ATH-M50, and they are fantastic headphones, but I am browsing online and I am looking for another pair of great headphones.

I think I am probably going to buy the HFI780. I listen to hip hop, rap and rock. Do you think the Ultrasone HFI780 is a better pair of headphones than the M50s?

I just recently purchased both to see which one I liked. I ended up keeping the 780s, better detail at every level. I listen to mostly hip hop and rock too...If you already have the M50s and are looking to upgrade I'd say go for something better than the 780s though, but that's just me. Maybe something like the D2000 if you have the budget?

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #12,420 of 29,490
Hi guys! I'll make this brief! I need advice / suggestions on headphones with:

RangeMid to low range (terms of pricing) headphones
Type: Closed back circumaural
Hours: 4-6 hours a day, longer if weekends.
Size: Full-sized
Source: Laptop & iPhone
For: In order of importance, Music > Movies > Occasional garageband for fun.
Music genre: Mainly alternative rock, heavy metal, psychedelic & prog rock, occasional trance and dubstep.
Movies: At least twice a week, but mostly of indie genre.. not as important as music.
Points: In order of importance, Sound > Comfort > Build quality > Design.

Bass ?: Can't really say as I have little-to-no experience. But I do enjoy white stripes, rhcp, ratm and more that I can't think of right now which have strong bass presence in their music.

Prev exp: I had an HD555 back in 2004 and I really enjoyed the design and comfort, but stopped using as I needed something closed.
Budget: <$150
Would be great (but not necessary) to have: detachable wires, as I plan to use jabra clipper (for wireless bluetooth) if possible.

lastly, I've got an Fiio E11 (gift from a friend) so I'd like something that would match well with these and something that would get out of it the most. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back