++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 22, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #12,331 of 29,490
looking to pick up a first pair of grados. got a pair for my friend but hes modded the crap out of them and i never got a chance to listen to them stock.

looking for the bassiest model, possibly without super harsh highs between the 60, 80, 125 and ms1

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #12,332 of 29,490
Im selling my Studio Beats tomorrow and want to get some new headphones. To be honest I loved my Beats but got sick of the image associated with them and the look kind of wore on me.

I'm looking to replace them and have a budget of 100-120. I'm not an audio snob but I do like quality equipment. I'll be listening to it primarily through a TC Electric Konect 6, and occasionally just through my iPhone. I like a wide variety of music, everything has vocals though. I want clear sound and nice tight bass.

I'm pretty much sold on the AT M50s, but I'm hesitant because there's so many positive reviews, they can't possibly live up to it..right? But I can get them for about $110. And the high quality 1/4 jack and coiled cable sound perfect

Also looking at the Incase Sonics. I've listened to them very briefly and they sounded decent. Extremely comfortable. And can get them for $75. But they're made by a case company, and I don't know if I can get past that. I feel like you're all gonna shoot this down but for my uses they might be fine.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #12,333 of 29,490
Well that picture definitely shows a stereo plug, but they could have just pulled up a random adapter. I don't see why you ca't just drive over to your local electronics store and buy one there. I guarantee you they will have it, since it's such a common piece of equipment.

From what I've read, it seems like A-T has a certain signature for its non-DJ over-ear cans, that's distinct from the M50 and portable sound. I don't know a lot about the A700s, however. I think they'll tend towards balanced and have a better soundstage, however.

I'd say the PRO700mk2s might be the best out of those 3, but there are a lot of other choices at that price range. I could list them all, but it would go a lot faster if you could tell me your preferred music genres, sound signature, and usage scenarios. i.e. what music you listen to, what kind of sound you like, and where/when you'll be using them.

I listen to hip hop most of the time. No classical and jazz for me. I use them on a daily basis and would be using on my smartphone. I am planning to get a portable amp. I would prefer a flat eq headphone. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #12,334 of 29,490
so i found electronic store (but it's registered in my country, it's like amazon in US, just not very known shop) which sells CAL for ~70$ converted from my currency, and as i understood without warranty. in other local shop, i found them at ~97$ trusted store with 1 year warranty. so my question is: does anyone ever use warranty? can they be broken?

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #12,335 of 29,490
I agree this is a great idea. So here my situation: I'm trying to decide on my first decent iem and I need a straight up answer. The only nice pair I've tried is the Westone um2. I was amazed by the detail and I loved the very forward mids, big bass, and warmth. The voices were nice but didn't sound completely realistic, probably due to lack of detail in the highs. Overall it was like for the first time, I was hearing real music. So here are my questions: how do these compare to the sennheiser ie7? How is the detail compared to the um2? I also heard that the ie7 weren't very engaging which would keep me from buying them. Is this true? Lastly are there any other ba iems that sound similar to the um2? I really want to be engaged with my music. Maybe um2? Se215? My budget is $150. I listen to everything and my preferred sound sig is warm overall, very detailed, and forward and realistic mids and vocals. I just need some straight up answers and suggestions. Thanks and sorry about all the questions.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #12,336 of 29,490

Quote:
so i found electronic store (but it's registered in my country, it's like amazon in US, just not very known shop) which sells CAL for ~70$ converted from my currency, and as i understood without warranty. in other local shop, i found them at ~97$ trusted store with 1 year warranty. so my question is: does anyone ever use warranty? can they be broken?

They are a bit delicate, but also are based on a long in service design.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #12,337 of 29,490

Quote:
Im selling my Studio Beats tomorrow and want to get some new headphones. To be honest I loved my Beats but got sick of the image associated with them and the look kind of wore on me.
I'm looking to replace them and have a budget of 100-120. I'm not an audio snob but I do like quality equipment. I'll be listening to it primarily through a TC Electric Konect 6, and occasionally just through my iPhone. I like a wide variety of music, everything has vocals though. I want clear sound and nice tight bass.
I'm pretty much sold on the AT M50s, but I'm hesitant because there's so many positive reviews, they can't possibly live up to it..right? But I can get them for about $110. And the high quality 1/4 jack and coiled cable sound perfect
Also looking at the Incase Sonics. I've listened to them very briefly and they sounded decent. Extremely comfortable. And can get them for $75. But they're made by a case company, and I don't know if I can get past that. I feel like you're all gonna shoot this down but for my uses they might be fine.

That's a good price these days on the M50, unless the shipping is outrageous.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #12,338 of 29,490

Quote:
looking to pick up a first pair of grados. got a pair for my friend but hes modded the crap out of them and i never got a chance to listen to them stock.

looking for the bassiest model, possibly without super harsh highs between the 60, 80, 125 and ms1

None of these options have the greatest bass.  You have to go to the 325 or MS2 for that.  Of the options you listed, I'd go with MS1 because Alessandro tones down the Grado sharpness a bit.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #12,339 of 29,490

First and foremost, great website with tonnes of information and helpful members posting their reviews and recommendations. My bose QC3s broke and I've decided to move onto something else. I am traumatized by Bose's wire, as they break almost on a set schedule. So would it make more sense to get a set of headphones with removable wires, so incase that happens again a ~$15 wire can fix it instead of shipping it in. There are a few NC headphones in there, because I require it to study at home when my housemates decide to throw a random pre drink or just having friends over and playing games in the living room, which is right beside my room. I also study a good bit in the library so I need one that is fairly decent in not leaking sound, that way the people around me won't give me hate looks.  I wear my headphones for hours a day, walking to class in the weather, studying, I'd say easily 5-6 hours a day and so comfort is very important. The bose is somewhat comfy but didn't hit the spot just right, the on ear isn't as comfy as I'd hope it can be, but their soft pads helped a lot. This time around I scouted a few headphones out and was wonderig what you guys think here:

AKG 172HD
Bose QC15
AT M50
AT ANC7B
Klipsh M40

Price point I want to keep it below the QC15s and the M40s. I walk to school and I wear my hood if the weather is bad so it can't be too big or else it won't fit. Any suggestion and rec is appreciated guys, thank you!

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #12,340 of 29,490

I'd say that's average price. I got mine for about 140 from GD after shipping, but it took ages to get here. Places like iDews and Frogbeats seems to have them running about 165-175 after shipping from what others were saying. As for how they are with glasses, it depends on your frames. If your's are thin like mine, then they'll feel fine. If you have thicker frames I imagine it wouldn't be as comfortable. I can also say with thicker frames you'd lose a bit of seal around the ear so they may not quite sound as good. Mine have straight arms and hug the side of my head pretty well so they're fine with the 011s. The biggest comfort thing with them though is their shallow cups. For many people their ears touch the padding, so unless you have very flat ears expect them to touch. If that doesn't bother you like it doesn't me it'll be fine.

Also keep an eye on the for sale section here, I've seen them listed there for about $100-110 + shipping so you could save a bunch buying used. I'm debating putting mine up there because my one issue that I seem to have with them is the bass is a bit overpowering at times, depending on what's happening when I'm listening while gaming or watching movies. But I can definitely say it's a hard decision, the soundstage on these babies for the price is stellar.

Thanks for the info AxelCloris. Yeah, I used to have thinner frames, but now I have the plastic frames to avoid bending, but has made my HARX-700's uncomfortable. Yes, I've gone through the sale section and there sure are a lot more 'waiting to buy' threads than selling for the FA-011. Seems like they get sold within minutes of getting posted up. Following up one possible deal right now.

I might just be able to do what I did with my HARX-700's and puff the pads up with some material like Styrofoam to give my ears some more breathing space. Otherwise, I just hope the clamping force isn't too much to cause my glasses to shift. Do you find the headband for the FA-011's to be pretty good? The ones on my HARX-700's are pretty uncomfortable on my hair.

One more question, if you don't mind: is there that much of a need for a good amp? I've read posts that a sound card should do, which I do have (Turtle Beach Montego DDL) so I was hoping that would provide enough juice to power the FA-011. What are your experiences with FA-011 and amping? Thanks for your help!

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #12,342 of 29,490
Hey guys, I have a problem here and I would like some help please
frown.gif

If you're too lazy to read all of it, please read the bold words. They're the only necessary parts, anyway.

The Problem: As it turns out, my ATH-M50s came with sub-par quality pads.
Basically, they came already hardened and stiff, as though they've been used for years already.
I thought everybody was crazy for calling them comfortable, but now I know why.

The Backstory: I bought the M50s 4 months ago, but I didn't realize until today that the pads were unusually uncomfortable. 
I didn't get to feel a normal M50 pad until today so I had no clue what it was supposed to feel like.
When I felt my friend's M50 pad, I was shocked at how soft it was. He said it was brand new, but mine were never like that...
Before I found out today, I had always assumed that all M50s were uncomfortable like mine.

What I'm Asking You Guys: What's the best way of getting a replacement pair of normal M50 pads?
Is it possible for me to email Audio-Technica asking for a replacement? Will they even consider it?
Or should I email the authorized reseller whom I bought it from (soundprofessionals.com)? Will they consider it?
Will I end up having to pay for the normal pads with my own wallet? What if I get sent another faulty set of pads?

Anyways, thanks in advance. I really appreciate it (gosh, these M50s are bothering the hell out of my ears right now).

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #12,343 of 29,490

Quote:
Creative Aurvana Live! for $73 vs. Panasonic HTF600's for $34 for listening to DnB and single-player gaming?  Are the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones really worth double?

Nope, the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (with $20 Beyer EDT 200 Velour ear pads) are more comfortable for long term wearing.

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) have a nice sound, but the cups are small, barely fit around my ears and the diaphragm seem like it's 1mm from your ear.
Closed headphone with no breathing space, can you say heat.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #12,344 of 29,490
I have a quick question. I asked a guy about the equipment in his sig and the answer was like this:

(PC, Foobar etc) ->

Music Fidelity V-Link II => USB TO S/PDIF CONVERTER FOR HIGH DEF FILES
CA DacMagic => DAC - TO CONVERT DIGITAL TO AUDIO
XLR to TRS Mogami interconnects => WIRES FROM DAC TO MIXER
Mackie 802 VLZ3 Mixer USING MIXER AS HEADAMP FOR NOW. ALSO ALLOWS USE OF INTERNAL SOUND CARD WITH ONE SET OF SPEAKERS
(Headphones)

So, as I read it, there are four different pieces of equipment between his PC and his headphones. I'm trying to figure this out because I want to put together a good system, but I don't want more equipment than is really necessary.

So if I use my laptop, with good source material and a good media player like Foobar, what I was thinking is getting the Fiio E17 amp/dac, and that would go directly to my headphones... but this guy has so much more going on here. I'm feeling like I might be overlooking something.

So anyone who wants to "shine a light" would be much appreciated, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back