++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #12,196 of 29,490

Quote:
Awesome thanks KG Jag!

Comfort really a secondary priority to sound. I work on music for about 4-5 hours at a time and my very old Sennheisers HD 202 were sort of uncomfortable after about 3 hours of use. Too much pressure. Then again, perhaps I just need to take a break now and then. 

So to recap, I'm putting sound as my #1 priority. I can sacrifice comfort and I sure don't care about looks. Which model (out of the ones you've tried) would you say is the flattest and the most detailed? (Sorry for defining ideal headphones haha)

Of the cans I mentioned, the AKG Q 701 best meets your needs.  Of course the Senn HD 598 is also excellent.

The Denons are supposed to be great, but I haven't listened to them yet.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #12,197 of 29,490

Quote:
Could anyone recommend me a good pair of cans for around $200? I like listening to classic rock in FLAC, and I would prefer if I could run them un-amped until I can get an amp. I want something that's analytical and balanced. Thanks!

I'll assume you know the limitations of open headphones then. For $200, I think a good choice would be the Sennheiser HD558s or the Audio-Technica AD900s. The former are bassier, while the latter might be more analytical.

Quote:
Awesome thanks KG Jag!

Comfort really a secondary priority to sound. I work on music for about 4-5 hours at a time and my very old Sennheisers HD 202 were sort of uncomfortable after about 3 hours of use. Too much pressure. Then again, perhaps I just need to take a break now and then. 

So to recap, I'm putting sound as my #1 priority. I can sacrifice comfort and I sure don't care about looks. Which model (out of the ones you've tried) would you say is the flattest and the most detailed? (Sorry for defining ideal headphones haha)

Thanks ...50an6xy06r6n!

Exclusively indoors. I'm terrified of using any portable sound system over $100 outdoors.. I've thought of open, but I'd prefer passive sound-canceling closed headphones. How do the M50s sound very different than the Q701? I've also looked at the HD600s, but KG Jag recommended the DT880s and the price point sounds good. I listen to quite a bit of alternative music (Radiohead, Mars Volta, Bjork, Elbow, Mew, Pink Floyd, etc.) and electronic (Royksopp, Justice, Johann Johannsson, Gregor Samsa, Asobi Seksu) but I listen to vinyl ripped classical too. 

You went over my head with "preferred sound signature". haha sorry I'm still somewhat of a novice regarding audiophile terms. But if you mean warm and cool? I'm aiming for something flat. But if not I could do cooler, so that the music is warmer with reference headphones.

I'll be using them mainly in my non-sealed room and a sealed studio.

Appreciate the help!

Sound signature being something like bassy, "fun", analytical, warm, cold, etc. Also, you do realize that all those headphones you're considering are open, right? The openness shouldn't be a problem if you're using them indoors only, and I think open cans will fit your preferences better. I concur with the Q701 and HD598 recommendations, but realize that open cans in general might not have the same bass impact that some closed headphones do.
The M50s tend towards "fun", with a slightly boosted bass and treble, while the Q701s are fairly neutral, for comparison's sake. If you're set on closed cans for whatever reason, the Brainwavz HM5s and SRH840/940s are supposed to be pretty neutral (flat).

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #12,198 of 29,490

I'm going to say the AKG Q701, I've been really surprised with how well it does with rock, it's head and shoulders above others in its class for most music. Anther option is the Grado SR225i, and it may "rock out" better, but it doesn't sound as clear or extend as low as the Q701. Comfort may be important to you as well, and the AKGs surpass the Grados by a mile there.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #12,199 of 29,490

Quote:

I'll assume you know the limitations of open headphones then. For $200, I think a good choice would be the Sennheiser HD558s or the Audio-Technica AD900s. The former are bassier, while the latter might be more analytical.

Sound signature being something like bassy, "fun", analytical, warm, cold, etc. Also, you do realize that all those headphones you're considering are open, right? The openness shouldn't be a problem if you're using them indoors only, and I think open cans will fit your preferences better. I concur with the Q701 and HD598 recommendations, but realize that open cans in general might not have the same bass impact that some closed headphones do.
The M50s tend towards "fun", with a slightly boosted bass and treble, while the Q701s are fairly neutral, for comparison's sake. If you're set on closed cans for whatever reason, the Brainwavz HM5s and SRH840/940s are supposed to be pretty neutral (flat).

Yes I understand the limitations. I currently have hifiman re-zeros, but I find myself only using them in my room, which is pretty quiet most of the time, so I figured open cans would we worthwhile.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #12,200 of 29,490

Quote:

Yes I understand the limitations. I currently have hifiman re-zeros, but I find myself only using them in my room, which is pretty quiet most of the time, so I figured open cans would we worthwhile.

Ok then ,just checking... Some people come asking for open without really knowing what that means, and that can get to be a problem...

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #12,201 of 29,490

Quote:
G35 is an USB based headphone. If you have no sound card, G35 is pretty awesome(blah blah blah, gaming headphone sounds suck). But since you have a xonar, might as well get a the multi-use ad700. 

Cheers!

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #12,202 of 29,490
Greetings.  Would a Xonar DG be sufficient enough to drive Sennheiser 518 / 558 / 598 headphones since they have the 6.3mm plug and are obviously designed to be fed more juice. As well as Fischer Audio FA-011 which have 160 ohms impedence.

Has anyone used both Sennheiser 5x8 series and Fischer Audio FA-011 and which would be suggested for someone who is looking to get their first open headphones?

If an amp is suggested, which one should I get? I don't need portability, just affordability and a fair performance to price ratio. Thanks.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #12,203 of 29,490
I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment, but I'm curious what is currently a decent iPhone-compatible IEM (with in-line mic).  I was all set to get the ER7-MC3, but Amazon raised the sale price from $59 back up to $89.  Is there anything comparable in the $60 price range?  Amazon has been trying to foil my headphone-buying experiences lately.  When I went online to order my Senn HD598s, they had jacked the price up $50 from the day before when I was looking at them.

The ER7-MC3 is also available used from Amazon Warehouse Deals for ~$65 with a 30-day warranty.  I've bought used/refurbed headphones before, but does this seem like a safe purchase?

Other info:
Prefer higher workmanship.
I listen to hip hop, jazz, funk, classical.
Not a basshead.
Want an inline mic, iPhone controls are a plus.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #12,204 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:

Of the cans I mentioned, the AKG Q 701 best meets your needs.  Of course the Senn HD 598 is also excellent.

The Denons are supposed to be great, but I haven't listened to them yet.

Awesome. I'm really leaning towards the Senn HD 598s. Do you think the Beyer DT 880 (600 OHM) is worth the extra $50 over the Senns? I'd buy an amp either way (probably the E6 for the Senn, and the E9 for the Beyer). I'm going to open myself more to open headphones. I read that they're better for accurate detailed sound reproduction in a closed environment. Thanks for the help!

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #12,205 of 29,490
Hey I'm looking into to my first pair of nice over the ear headphones to listen to my iPhone and computer, usually at the office. I listen to a wide variety of music--classical, rap, country, rock, electronic. I'd like to keep it <$160.

I've been researching...
Audio Technica ATH- M50
Bose AE2i
V-moda crossfade LP

I really like the reviews I've been seeing for the M50s. I see them on Amazon for $160. However, my friend offered to sell me his AE2i for $80 (not new, since he has been using them). So which to you guys seems like the better choice?

I really just want a good quality sounding and durable headphone that's also comfortable and stylish. A mic and button control is a plus but not required.

Thanks for any support! Just found this website and I'm very happy I did.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #12,206 of 29,490

The M50s are pretty good jacks of all trades, and other cans in that vein include The Ultrasone HFI780s. The HM5s are more neutral, if that's the sound you prefer, and are similar to the SRH840s. I can help more if I know what music you listen to.

Like I said I listen to just about everything except classical and country. If I had to pick a couple of genres then it would be rock, rap, and electro. I would also like to say that these headphones would be used for gaming.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #12,207 of 29,490
Hello, looking for the best upgrade from JVC ha-rx700 that i've had for a couple years now.  I really think it was a great value and has served me well, but I'd like to see what's out there that's better.  From what I've read here the rx700 rivals $100-$200 headphones so upgrading may be easier said than done.  Would like to keep it in $100 range but really want a sizable upgrade to my original set if possible.  I listen to a lot of genres but mostly rock/electronic/dance (would like something that makes jazz and classical shine too), and would prefer something with decent warmth but very good at details and a good soundstage (nothing too exaggerated and colored though, probably looking for something closer to neutral/flat).  I will be using these mostly out of home PC with a Creative X-Fi HD USB DAC (supposedly good for up to 330ohms and S/N ratio of 114dbs FWIW).  I may want to use with my iPod Classic-> Fiio E5 as a portable too.  So far here's my considerations (mostly usual suspects i'm assuming):

MDR-V6
SR-80i (are these really as terrible as people say for portable use?  would like an all-purpose home/on the go set but i may settle for this being home only if it's as good as i hear)
ATH-AD700 (guess this would be home only, mostly curious how it fares next to the Grados)
srh840 (might be a little out of my price range but found a used on Amazon for $130 so may spring for that if worth it and it's a legitimate seller.  had short experience with the srh440 and while pretty bright and lacking in bass i enjoyed the detail and kinda regret returning it now)
Sony MDR-zx700 (curious what opinion on these is, I can get them at my work for around $80 so I'm tempted to just run and get those today/tomorrow, but the opinion's that they have rolled off highs which may be bad for a detail freak like me.)

any other recs in/close to my price range appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance whoever responds to this!

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #12,210 of 29,490

Quote:
Greetings.  Would a Xonar DG be sufficient enough to drive Sennheiser 518 / 558 / 598 headphones since they have the 6.3mm plug and are obviously designed to be fed more juice. As well as Fischer Audio FA-011 which have 160 ohms impedence.

Has anyone used both Sennheiser 5x8 series and Fischer Audio FA-011 and which would be suggested for someone who is looking to get their first open headphones?

If an amp is suggested, which one should I get? I don't need portability, just affordability and a fair performance to price ratio. Thanks.

THe HD558/598s are fairly easy to drive, so will sound good without an amp, but to get the most out of them, you'll want an amp, esp. for the 598s. The 558/598s are very good all-around cans as well. For a basic amp, check out the Fiio E9, or an E10 if you also want a DAC (basically a soundcard).

Quote:
I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment, but I'm curious what is currently a decent iPhone-compatible IEM (with in-line mic).  I was all set to get the ER7-MC3, but Amazon raised the sale price from $59 back up to $89.  Is there anything comparable in the $60 price range?  Amazon has been trying to foil my headphone-buying experiences lately.  When I went online to order my Senn HD598s, they had jacked the price up $50 from the day before when I was looking at them.

The ER7-MC3 is also available used from Amazon Warehouse Deals for ~$65 with a 30-day warranty.  I've bought used/refurbed headphones before, but does this seem like a safe purchase?

Other info:
Prefer higher workmanship.
I listen to hip hop, jazz, funk, classical.
Not a basshead.
Want an inline mic, iPhone controls are a plus.

I think if it's through Amazon warehouse it should be fairly legit, and you can go through them if you get scammed. $65 might be a bit steep for a used pair, though. An alternative might be the MEElectronics CC51P.

Quote:

Awesome. I'm really leaning towards the Senn HD 598s. Do you think the Beyer DT 880 (600 OHM) is worth the extra $50 over the Senns? I'd buy an amp either way (probably the E6 for the Senn, and the E9 for the Beyer). I'm going to open myself more to open headphones. I read that they're better for accurate detailed sound reproduction in a closed environment. Thanks for the help!

Maybe start with the Senns, which are easier to drive, and if you don't like the sound, you can try the Beyers. 

Quote:
Hey I'm looking into to my first pair of nice over the ear headphones to listen to my iPhone and computer, usually at the office. I listen to a wide variety of music--classical, rap, country, rock, electronic. I'd like to keep it <$160.

I've been researching...
Audio Technica ATH- M50
Bose AE2i
V-moda crossfade LP

I really like the reviews I've been seeing for the M50s. I see them on Amazon for $160. However, my friend offered to sell me his AE2i for $80 (not new, since he has been using them). So which to you guys seems like the better choice?

I really just want a good quality sounding and durable headphone that's also comfortable and stylish. A mic and button control is a plus but not required.

Thanks for any support! Just found this website and I'm very happy I did.

The M50s will be significantly better than the AE2s and the Cerossfades. It wont, however, have an inline mic, and the cable is a bit long. Not a whole lot of on/over-ears have mics, though if you can stretch to $200 the V-Moda M80s will give you those options. Another alternative to the M50s could be the HFI780s. They're probably more stylish, and they have Ultrasone's S-logic soundstage, which may or may ot be a plus for you.

Quote:

Like I said I listen to just about everything except classical and country. If I had to pick a couple of genres then it would be rock, rap, and electro. I would also like to say that these headphones would be used for gaming.

You probably want a more fun sound, so consider the M50s and HFI780s. The Ultrasones will probably be better in the soundstage department, though some people don't like the S-logic.

Quote:
Hello, looking for the best upgrade from JVC ha-rx700 that i've had for a couple years now.  I really think it was a great value and has served me well, but I'd like to see what's out there that's better.  From what I've read here the rx700 rivals $100-$200 headphones so upgrading may be easier said than done.  Would like to keep it in $100 range but really want a sizable upgrade to my original set if possible.  I listen to a lot of genres but mostly rock/electronic/dance (would like something that makes jazz and classical shine too), and would prefer something with decent warmth but very good at details and a good soundstage (nothing too exaggerated and colored though, probably looking for something closer to neutral/flat).  I will be using these mostly out of home PC with a Creative X-Fi HD USB DAC (supposedly good for up to 330ohms and S/N ratio of 114dbs FWIW).  I may want to use with my iPod Classic-> Fiio E5 as a portable too.  So far here's my considerations (mostly usual suspects i'm assuming):

MDR-V6
SR-80i (are these really as terrible as people say for portable use?  would like an all-purpose home/on the go set but i may settle for this being home only if it's as good as i hear)
ATH-AD700 (guess this would be home only, mostly curious how it fares next to the Grados)
srh840 (might be a little out of my price range but found a used on Amazon for $130 so may spring for that if worth it and it's a legitimate seller.  had short experience with the srh440 and while pretty bright and lacking in bass i enjoyed the detail and kinda regret returning it now)
Sony MDR-zx700 (curious what opinion on these is, I can get them at my work for around $80 so I'm tempted to just run and get those today/tomorrow, but the opinion's that they have rolled off highs which may be bad for a detail freak like me.)

any other recs in/close to my price range appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance whoever responds to this!

The grados will not be very good for portable use, and in addition, their sound is geared mainly towards rock, and the soundstage is subpar. The AD700s will give you better soundstage, but might lack in bass, and have a less fun sound sig. The ZX700s are the better of the Sonys, and might give you an upgrade if you like a more analytical sound sig than what you have now. Other cans to consider are the Creative Aurvana Lives and the Koss DJ100, though to narrow it down more it would be helpful to know what kind of sound you like.

Quote:
So I'm getting offered some like new SRH840's for 90 bucks, I already have ATH-M50's, but yea...

Should I go for it?

Are you sure it's legit? That's an incredibly low price, and almost too good to be true. Also, the SRH940s are a lot more neutral than the M50s, and will have an increased treble presence and less bass. Be sure you like this kind of sound, or you might find yourself preferring the M50s anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back