++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #11,806 of 29,490

Quote:
Maybe the MS300s, or something more neutral like the HM5s or SRH840s would do the trick. I haven't heard much about the 270s, but since they're discontinued, the price is a bit high, so they might not be the best deal at this point. For $270, your options increase greatly.

Thanks for the help.  I'll research the two that you mentioned.

I guess I got the name wrong in my previous post, I was meaning to refer to the AKG-271 MKII's; they're on Amazon for $125 now and had some decent reviews.  I've also been reading about the ATH-A900's, which come in about $200 now.  $270 would probably be do-able for me too, if you had other options in mind. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #11,807 of 29,490
Do you think the Beats Pro/Detox would be worth it at around $200?  My friend would like to sell his for around 220, and I might be able to convince him to sell them to me for 200.  Should I take it or spend my money on something else?  From what I've read, the Beats Pro are actually pretty decent, especially for the bassheads, compared to, say, the AT-M50s or V-Modas.   I usually use just my iPod for music and listen to a lot of Rock (JRock, etc.) and the occasional hip-hop/pop songs.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #11,808 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the help.  I'll research the two that you mentioned.

I guess I got the name wrong in my previous post, I was meaning to refer to the AKG-271 MKII's; they're on Amazon for $125 now and had some decent reviews.  I've also been reading about the ATH-A900's, which come in about $200 now.  $270 would probably be do-able for me too, if you had other options in mind. 

I haven't heard a whole lot about A-T's closed models. The Akgs have a pretty good reputation, but might not be as portable. Maybe get a second opinion on this, seeing as I've never actually heard any of them...

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #11,809 of 29,490
Look at what you guys did to me, sold off pretty much every pair i've tried, now looking into the SRH840 and HD-25
biggrin.gif
Ordered a pair of Harx700 even if i don't need them, just because they're $30.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #11,810 of 29,490

Quote:
The interviews are all on Head-Fi's Youtube channel, so they're easy to find. I think the TMA-1s might be too dark for those genres. I still think you'd like the v-modas, and I doubt you'll ever see Beats Pro under $250 unless it's used or fake.

ok. Will be looking at YouTube. 

Then used pros it is :wink:

But what about Tma-1s for everything bass heavy?

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #11,811 of 29,490
Modified T50RP
D2000
HE-300 (could do second batch of HE-400 but idk how much an amp to power those monsters would be)
HD600 (or HD650)
Anything you suggest

Please help me decide.
Dark space, good bass, liquid mids, realistic highs, nice thud from drums. I want something to extend on the atmoshpere a song inherently has, and just bring my music to life with a bit of weight.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #11,812 of 29,490
Hi to everyone! and sorry about my english, ill try haha.

If someone can help me with this i'll really appreciate it :) 

I'm trying to buy something at 150 - 200 range mainly for house-travel listening, the source would be an iPod nano, and i mostly listen to 80s-90s pop (Men At Work, The Outfield, etc.), hard rock (Guns N Roses, Scorpions, WhiteSnake and classic like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd), metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Stratovarius, Metallica) and some new pop-house.

Here is the problem:

Since christmas i got curious about beats and stuff, since everyone said they were awesome, i checked out a bit and found that beats aren't worth the price... well, the problem is that i tried the solos and they sounded great for me (i liked how deep the music was, not only bass... since everyone likes that haha) then i tried the sennheiser 515 and dam, i got dissapointed, (both had same source ipod nano touch at bestbuy haha no amps or anything) i felt like when you listen to some old radio or when theres radio interference...i dont know how to explain, it just sounded bad for me somewhat "dry" :frowning2: so i'm wondering if all of sennheiser's products have the same type of sound? or is it just that model? maybe it's great for most people but i don't like that sound.

That sennhesier and beats experience and doubts were to explain in this part that i like a "warm" sound and beats did it for me when i tried them, hence why i didn't like sennheiser's "dry" sound (if there's a problem with the 515s maybe thats the reason why i felt beats had a punchy and warm sound), i wonder if you know of what i'm talking about when i say i like a "colorful" sound, like (to a quick and what most people who likes metal will know reference) on Metallica's Master Of Puppets album they got a punchy guitar sound and bass lines sounded clear and heavy, while drums were strong and vocals were more rough but clear than the past albums, all together pulled out a full sound of good rich bass from guitars and bass, clear highs on harmonies, guitar leads and great kicks on drums just an example, if you heard some songs of that album you will get it, and if you dont mayeb you get the idea haha.

Again, thanks in advance if anynoe can help me with this :)

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #11,813 of 29,490
Hey Guys,
Kinda new to this

Am interested in buying headphones under 100$ .I listen to all kind of music ranging from rap to heavy metal to trance. I'll also want to use them for gaming if possible.
I don't have any fancy equipment so will most probably use it with my PC ( motherboard sound card specifically the one in the gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R ) and my Galaxy SII.
Currently the three i am looking at are the Superlux HD-668 B , Creative Aurvana Live and Koss Pro DJ100.
Any other headphone recommendations are welcomed

Also was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50's as they are praised so highly here.
My Question is that will buying the M50's make a noticeable difference if i go for these considering that this costs more than 50 $ more than the budget.

Thank you

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #11,814 of 29,490
well the monoprice 8323 where recommended to me on this site. i don't have them yet they won't be here till wednesday. but they are under $30 shipped and might be an option for you. i decided to give them a try because they have a detachable cable and i needed to order a bunch of stuff from monoprice anyways because i am networking  a bunch of the house. i will share my thoughts on them once i have a chance to test them. 

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Kinda new to this

Am interested in buying headphones under 100$ .I listen to all kind of music ranging from rap to heavy metal to trance. Will also be mostly using it on the go. 
I don't have any fancy equipment so will most probably use it with my PC ( motherboard sound card so nothing special ) and my Galaxy SII.
Currently the three i am looking at are the Superlux HD-668 B , Creative Aurvana Live and Koss Pro DJ100.
Any other headphone recommendations are welcomed

Also was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50's as they are praised so highly here.
My Question is that will buying the M50's (if i get the money) make a noticeable difference if i go for these considering that this costs more than 50 $ more than the budget.

Thank you

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #11,816 of 29,490

Quote:
well the monoprice 8323 where recommended to me on this site. i don't have them yet they won't be here till wednesday. but they are under $30 shipped and might be an option for you. i decided to give them a try because they have a detachable cable and i needed to order a bunch of stuff from monoprice anyways because i am networking  a bunch of the house. i will share my thoughts on them once i have a chance to test them. 

Shipping will cost me more than the headphones itself.......

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #11,819 of 29,490

Help!

I want a Headphone and it has to be priced: 50-300 € and I mostly listen to Hip-Hop, electronic kind of music (J Dilla, Long Arm) or something like dubstep or instrumental hiphop. Who knows a great headphone for me?

Some other things:
- I don't want Beats by Dr. Dre
- I don't want super ugly headphones,
- I like AKG!  
- It would be great if they work good on a iPod touch and a computer (both)
- I have an amplifier
- I Don't live in USA
- I wan't to use them mostly at home

Hope someone can help me out!

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #11,820 of 29,490
i'm looking for COMFORTABLE over the ear phones up to $150 that have the option to switch to a short cord, that DON'T skimp on bass using an un-amped player and that have nice efficiency. i listen to a wide variety of musical genres, but haven't found any cans that have decent bass extension on a portable. i recently bought and returned some sennheiser HD25 DJ phones as they had virtually no bass and were bright to boot with a very closed in, though detailed sound. i returned them as they weren't worrth $200 to me or even the $94 i got them on sale for. the $25 202s i have had better bass extension though they had a long cord, the infamous head in a vise clamping headband and the thin wires were damaged by a duffle bag strap.

right now, my reference phones are AKG K44s which are pretty nice sounding for $50 and reasonably comfortable though the hard earpads start to hurt after a few hours. there's more bass than the HD25s and as much treble speed and extension with a much more relaxed sound that's easier to have fun with, but it's just hard to get anything remotely close to "club level" bass out of them with dance tunes. they do have decent bass on old school bass tracks and a lot of hip hop, but just don't let you hear the bass on dubstep tracks which actually always sound "bright" on most phones with sansa & cube 30 players. the K44s also have an "enthusiastic" treble that can sound bright on players like sansas, but that leans more towards "neutrality" probably. it's just that they emphasize siblants on some tracks, but more often than not reveal low level details in the treble one hasn't heard before.

i'm very interested in sony's top of the line "megabass" phones because they look great and sturdy, have short flat cables, are reasonably cheap and have nice plush velour pads. it's just that i see a lot of contempt for the entire line as being "muddy & distorted". there was an interesting "off brand" phone like ultrasone i saw a few days ago that had a one sided cord (i really like that feature) that could be replaced by a 4 foot one and that had some favorable reviews, but i can't find it again.

i like the sound of open phones better, especially on binaural tracks, but they have terrible isolation when riding the bus and of course bleed too making them useless for that. were it not for the long and flimsy cord, i'd be inclined to get cheap 202s again as they had bass that wasn't surpassed by anything short of $80 grados and not by much there when i sought to upgrade. i DO NOT like swivel phones like grados at all! that was another thing i didn't like about the HD25s. i only have 1 hand and don't like fighting with phones to get them on or especially getting poked in the ear in the process.

i'd appreciate and recommendations for neutral & laid back sounding closed phones that are $150 or less and that can be corded for portable use as most full sized cans have 10 foot plus cords. i want a non fatiguing sound that's fun on dance tracks, but without turning acoustic music to slop either. as far as compromises go, the thing i guess i'd most be willing to give up is absolute analytical resolution. i guess what i'm trying to say is i'm looking for cans that can rock bass on just a portable, but without sacrificing everything else for it the way reviews make the megabass line sound. i DON'T like excessive boomy bass at all, just fully extended bass where you can actually hear what's going on without straining like most phones seem to do on portables. i can get decent bass with my K44s on my cube C30, but when you boost the bass, everything else drops. i just want to hear the full spectrum with as little distortion as possible. i like tight fast bass that thumps better than booms for whatever that's worth. i KNOW there's deep bass in dubstep, but i've yet to hear it on headphones.

i'm kind of interested in the audio technica AT50s, but as they were recommended as 2nd place alternatives to flat out crappy sounding to me HD25s in that big shootout thread, i'm not inclined to waste more money shipping & returning overrated phones. it seems that the best values these days are in "off brand" phones eg. my $50 WITH a large diaphragm mic samson AKG clones spanked the crap out of the HD25s in flat sounding EQ with plenty of detail & accuracy with only a little more bass.

i have a hard time accepting that "every phone that has nice deep bass otherwise sucks".  rolling the bass off so you can't hear it in a mix sucks to me. i LOVED the sound of the $150 open or semi-open beyers i listened to in the late 80s. they had plenty of bass, but a relaxed & natural sound throughout lacking only the last Nth of resolution & extension from more expensive cans and i loved the velour earpads.

many thanks in advance to anyone that has ANY recommendations for "portable friendly reference cans that don't skimp on the bass" my K44s are nice, but they just don't have that WOW! factor in the bass i'm looking for and aren't the most comfortable after a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back