++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #11,837 of 29,490

Quote:
Oops, somewhere between £100-£130, possibly £150.

Denon AH-D1100, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, V-Moda M80 if you can stretch your budget a bit.  If you're willing to get an amp and don't need closed headphones, I'd also recommend the Fischer FA-011.  The UK seller, Frogbeats, currently has them in stock (http://shop.frogbeats.com/fischer-audio-fa-011)

Not sure how well they do with bass-heavy genres, but the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii is also good, and there's a seller on Amazon with a good price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-251-MKII-Basic/dp/B003ORCGH6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328591299&sr=8-4

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #11,838 of 29,490
I really love my Earsonic SM3's but sometimes they seem to lack the "Zing" or the "Pop" I'm looking for.
I like Bass, but also I enjoy listening to Indie Music, Rock, Jazz, Pop, Rap, Dub-Step, Trance, and Acoustic music.
Since this is a large variety of genre I was thinking about getting multiple headphones?
I'm often on the go but I find myself at home wanting to kick back and put on a pair of Cans and I also wouldn't mind dragging around clunky headphones if I had to.

The budget ~ $1400.00

I love, love, love IEMs.
I was looking at the UM Merlins and have read some great reviews on how they are "Full-filling" and have good amounts of "Bass"..
The again the JHPro's look nice too.

I also want a nice Over-ear set of headphones...
Maybe a pair of HD-800's? I have heard great things from these heaphones! If I got these headphones I wouldn't have to wait to have them molded either.
I really love the look of AKG's but I don't know if I would like the sound..

Help me make up my mind.
What should I do and what combinations of headphones do you guys suggest?

Thanks soo much!!

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #11,839 of 29,490

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think that any of those are worse build-quality than the Beats Pros.  HD25s get thrown in backpacks all the time - I've never seen one complaint about them getting broken.  The TMA-1 may be plastic (not sure if it actually is), but it looks pretty tough to me.  The D2000s aren't really suitable for portable use - they don't clamp tight enough.  They do have one weak point (the pin between the cups and the headband), but it's not an issue if you don't bang them around too much.  The DT-1350 is very similar to the HD25s on build quality, though it's apparently a bit of a challenge to adjust properly.  The HDJ2000 looks about as beefy as the beats, just with thinner pads.  And the M80s are almost all metal - tough to beat that for durability.

That said, if you like the Beats and don't have a problem paying the premium for them, they're pretty good.  Most people on the site estimate the Pros value at around $200-$250, which puts them about in the same boat as the others that you listed as far as sound quality goes.

The thing is that the HD25s and the TMA-1s dont have the same comfort, to me, as the Pros because they are on they ear models. The HDJ2000 doesn't sound as good as the Pro to my ears. But the Denon D2000 and D5000 have amazing sound quality for being closed headphones. At least to me they have. Still dont know what to get :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #11,840 of 29,490

Quote:
The thing is that the HD25s and the TMA-1s dont have the same comfort, to me, as the Pros because they are on they ear models. The HDJ2000 doesn't sound as good as the Pro to my ears. But the Denon D2000 and D5000 have amazing sound quality for being closed headphones. At least to me they have. Still dont know what to get :frowning2:

The HD25s and TMA-1s are lighter and more durable than the Pro's.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #11,841 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a simple headphone - comfort, build quality, clarity, instrument seperation, bass and design... in that order.

I just want to wake up in the morning, grab my iPhone and the pair of headphones I threw on the bed side table last night, and head out into the world and be moved by the music. No comfort issues, no crappy built headphones, no amping, no FLAC, no ugly designs, no leakage and no thin bass. Just me, my iPhone, my headphones, Spotify and the music :wink:

Do you audiophiles think that the Beats Studios (yeah I know that the build quality is bad) and Pros are really that bad for the price if the above scenario is what you want?

Or should I try the TMA-1 again even though I feel like they don't have the same comfort as the Beats line?

I got one more question :wink:.

Regarding IEM's, how much better are the sound of the top tiers with or without an amp compared to, lets say, a SE215? 50%? 20? 10?

Thanks in advance :)

You could give the Skullcandy Mix Masters a shot..  I've never tried them, but if you like the design of the Beats (Detachable Cable, Foldable, Dual Input, etc.), then they are similar in design while sounding surprisingly well. The only downside is that they're made of mostly plastic, so they're prone to fingerprints and don't LOOK as durable.  Plus, they're Skullcandy, so you're not going to get the kind of responses as if you were wearing Beats or Audio-Technica..

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #11,842 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Kinda new to this

Am interested in buying headphones under 100$ .I listen to all kind of music ranging from rap to heavy metal to trance. I'll also want to use them for gaming if possible.
I don't have any fancy equipment so will most probably use it with my PC ( motherboard sound card specifically the one in the gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R ) and my Galaxy SII.
Currently the three i am looking at are the Superlux HD-668 B , Creative Aurvana Live and Koss Pro DJ100.
Any other headphone recommendations are welcomed

Also was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50's as they are praised so highly here.
My Question is that will buying the M50's make a noticeable difference if i go for these considering that this costs more than 50 $ more than the budget.

Thank you

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #11,843 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, new member here looking for his first set of good headphones. I've been looking for headphones in the $50 price range, and I'm really interested in getting the Samson SR850.

Some concerns:

1.) From reviews, it sounds like these are really good headphones for analyzing music. Are these still fun to listen to casually?

2.) Where can I buy replacement pads by AKG?

3.) Will these sound good unamped through an iPod?

4.) How bad is the isolation? The sound leakage? At your normal listening volume, can others hear you in a library?

5.) What would you recommend that are fun to listen to? How do the Prodipe Pro 800 and Senn HD428 compare?

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #11,844 of 29,490
Feb 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #11,845 of 29,490
I love bass but not too heavy bass, i mainly listen to dubstep, techno, hiphop....BUT Smooth jazz once in a while. i need a headphones mainly made for bass but has good mids and highs as well

BUDGET: Around $150 - $200

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #11,846 of 29,490
Hey people!

I just joined head-fi and I'm new to forums and I'm still beginning to understand how this audiophile thing works. I currently have those Marshall Majors and some people say they are bad since they are Urbanears Plattan's that are rebranded?...or so they say. I have a tight budget and I'm thinking of getting new portables under $100. I got my eyes on these and I I'd like to ask if How does the Sennheiser HD-238 compare to the Audio Technica ATH SJ55? Oh and suggestions for alternatives would be great too.

btw. I listen to both slow and fast paced music; from reggae to dubstep to name a few.

also a quick side topic, anyone here know how to differentiate a genuine HD-238 vs a fake one in both sound and some cosmetic differences I'd have to be aware of?? 

some light on my questions would be much, much appreciated :)
thanks guys!

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #11,847 of 29,490
i can't help you on the one side cable front, but would bet that sony's top of the line megabass phones sound at least as good as beats if not better and at a fraction of the price. i'm trying to find cans that have full bass but that don't suck otherwise too.

i'm starting to think that instead of looking for phones, it might just be easier to get a portable amp to drive the K44s i already have harder and using some bass boost with my players. it's a clunky solution, but every time i see a review for phones that do bass, they're always called junk by audiophiles.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #11,848 of 29,490
Hello Everyone!

I have done a lot of research into headphones and have decided to buy a pair of audio technica ath-m50. The only question I have is where I can get them for the cheapest price ( I live in the UK). On amazon they are 130£ at the moment. On this page http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-technica-ath-m50b.html its 104£. Also on ebay there is an offer for 100£, but it ships from Hong Kong which sounds a bit suspect to me as I don't know what will happen at the customs. Does anyone know of any better deals for the m50? 

Thank you very much!
kimchikim

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #11,849 of 29,490
I am look for some headphones that would sound great with metal and rap mostly metal though, the headphones right now that I am considering right now are the Denon AH-2000 or The Beats Pro by Dr. Dre. any other suggetions would be helpful also, the price range im in is in $300-400.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #11,850 of 29,490
if you're ever trying to find the best deal on something you're buying online, try using shopping search engines like dealtime, shopping.com, google shopping, shopzilla & pricegrabber etc. and then try searching for the item by it's name & product number to see if maybe some smaller shop has a deal on it. it takes more work doing it that way, but i think smaller shops often have the best deals to clear excessive stock on an item. the shopping engines are generally good enough though and many of them factor shipping in too where you might buy something for the lowest price at a sketchy shop and then get gouged on shipping ebay style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back