++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 3, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #11,701 of 29,490
Feb 3, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #11,702 of 29,490
So I'm thinking about getting either an HD 558 or 598 but can't decide on which one. Here in Canada the cheapest I can get the 558 for is 209.99 and 279.99 for the 598, the 558s were just on sale for 149.99 at futureshop but I found out about it too late, noobd hardcore.

Anyway, are the 70 dollars worth the difference? I'd probably end up doing the mod if I get the 558s so I'm starting to look at it as $70 for a 2 year warranty since the mod voids it, I've read the 558s still don't sound quite as good as the 598s after the mod but that brings me to my next point. These will be my first pair of audiophile level headphones, so I probably won't even be able to tell the difference between the headphones as well as other people, which obviously sways my decision in the direction of the 558s. Thoughts?

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #11,703 of 29,490
Thanks for fast reply
Head phones available here in my range are
sennheiser hd201, 202, 218, 408 , pmx 40 px 30 , pc31
sony mdr xd200, mdr zx300
skullcandy uprock
audio technica ath t200
koss ur18, cs100
Please suggest the best one among them or any other in this segment asap.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #11,704 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,
please suggest me a decent headphone within my budget of Rs.1500.it should have decent sound quality witch nice bass.

HTF600. A lot of bass and it doesn't go into the mids or anything. It has a very good soundstage but it leaks sound a lot (which may be a problem to some).

Quote:
So I'm thinking about getting either an HD 558 or 598 but can't decide on which one. Here in Canada the cheapest I can get the 558 for is 209.99 and 279.99 for the 598, the 558s were just on sale for 149.99 at futureshop but I found out about it too late, noobd hardcore.

Anyway, are the 70 dollars worth the difference? I'd probably end up doing the mod if I get the 558s so I'm starting to look at it as $70 for a 2 year warranty since the mod voids it, I've read the 558s still don't sound quite as good as the 598s after the mod but that brings me to my next point. These will be my first pair of audiophile level headphones, so I probably won't even be able to tell the difference between the headphones as well as other people, which obviously sways my decision in the direction of the 558s. Thoughts?

I can't probably help much here but I heard the 598 has one of the best soundstages and is fantastic especially for movies. Haven't heard anything about the 558 though..

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #11,705 of 29,490

Quote:
HTF600. A lot of bass and it doesn't go into the mids or anything. It has a very good soundstage but it leaks sound a lot (which may be a problem to some).

I can't probably help much here but I heard the 598 has one of the best soundstages and is fantastic especially for movies. Haven't heard anything about the 558 though..

thanks
but this is outta mu budget.
Please suggest some other from above list.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #11,706 of 29,490
Hello all, I am currently looking to buy headphones. Here are some things you should know.
1. I listen to mainly rock and a little classical. My main requirements are decent clarity and above average bass.
2. I will be using the 'phones on my Cowon S9 and phone (Nokia 701) without external amplification.
3. I am open to in-ear buds too. I used to own a pair of Creative EP-630 and currently own the Sennheiser CX-250.

I would prefer that my phones come in under INR 1000. But if something is exceptionally good I can go to 1500 INR.
Since I live in India and we have limited choices for audio hardware, I will tell you where I'm buying from; an online store called Flipkart. Here are the choices I have, tell me what's best in my budget.

flipkart.com/computers/laptop-accessories/headphone-20221

By the way, I have used a friend's Phillips SHL5000 and they sounded DAMN good. Just an opinion.

Thanks!

*edit* here are some Koss options (heard it's a good brand)
Koss CS100 , Price: Rs.1454
Koss CS95 , Price: Rs.1085
Koss KC25 , Price: Rs.2308
Koss KPH5 , Price: Rs.263
Koss KSC17 , Price: Rs.1154
Koss KSS10 , Price: Rs.729
Koss KTXPro1 , Price: Rs.1939
Koss P9 , Price: Rs.648
Koss PRO DJ100 , Price: Rs.6925
Koss PTX6 , Price: Rs.692
Koss SB45 , Price: Rs.3693
Koss Sporta-Pro. , Price: Rs.2825
Koss UR10 , Price: Rs.831
Koss UR20 , Price: Rs.1883
Koss UR40 , Price: Rs.3767

tell me if any of the ones in my budget are any good.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #11,707 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all, I am currently looking to buy headphones. Here are some things you should know.
1. I listen to mainly rock and a little classical. My main requirements are decent clarity and above average bass.
2. I will be using the 'phones on my Cowon S9 and phone (Nokia 701) without external amplification.
3. I am open to in-ear buds too. I used to own a pair of Creative EP-630 and currently own the Sennheiser CX-250.
I would prefer that my phones come in under INR 1000. But if something is exceptionally good I can go to 1500 INR.
Since I live in India and we have limited choices for audio hardware, I will tell you where I'm buying from; an online store called Flipkart. Here are the choices I have, tell me what's best in my budget.
flipkart.com/computers/laptop-accessories/headphone-20221
By the way, I have used a friend's Phillips SHL1000 and they sounded DAMN good. Just an opinion.
Thanks!

i am looking for the same dude.
Please tell me if you found any under rs.1500

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #11,710 of 29,490
Need some help.

I have owned E2C, SHP8900, SR80, d-JAYS, CX300 and some other cans.  

I'm looking for new headphones to use with my iPhone. I have a Fiio Amp but I just want to use the phone itself. I am listening to all kinds of music and I'm choosing between these cans:

Triple Fi 10
(I can get these for 170. How's the microphonics?)

Etymotic HF3
(Are these the best sounding IEM with a remote and that you can wear with the cables down and not over your ear?)

Jays Four
(Maybe getting some cheaper phones with a mic that are easier to insert into the ear is better?)

HD25
(Comfort wise are these good for long listening sessions? Maybe they are to ugly to wear in public?)

TMA-1 
(I'm listening to al kinds of music so these cans may be to dark for my liking.)

M50
(How is the sound compared to HD25? And are the cable to long and the headphones to big to wear in public? Isolation?)

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #11,711 of 29,490
Sennheiser Hd 25-1 II
B&W P5
Audio Technica ATH-WS70
Klipsch Mode M40

Which are the best for sound quality, comfort, portability, and least sound leakage?
I typically listen to electronic music genres, so pretty much bass heavy stuff.
Also, no amps, or dac's. Just playing from an iPod.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #11,712 of 29,490

Quote:
Need some help.

I have owned E2C, SHP8900, SR80, d-JAYS, CX300 and some other cans.  

I'm looking for new headphones to use with my iPhone. I have a Fiio Amp but I just want to use the phone itself. I am listening to all kinds of music and I'm choosing between these cans:

Triple Fi 10
(I can get these for 170. How's the microphonics?)

Etymotic HF3
(Are these the best sounding IEM with a remote and that you can wear with the cables down and not over your ear?)

Jays Four
(Maybe getting some cheaper phones with a mic that are easier to insert into the ear is better?)

HD25
(Comfort wise are these good for long listening sessions? Maybe they are to ugly to wear in public?)

TMA-1 
(I'm listening to al kinds of music so these cans may be to dark for my liking.)

M50
(How is the sound compared to HD25? And are the cable to long and the headphones to big to wear in public? Isolation?)

I've only tried the M50 and HD25 out of these... I liked the M50 a lot when I had them, but not enough to keep them (went with Shure SRH840 at the time). I just got HD25s and while I didn't directly A/B compare them, I feel comfortable in saying they are the better sounding cans. The M50 midrange was too veiled for me.

Comfort-wise is a toss up. I think the HD25 are probably lighter but since they're an on-ear, you will feel some pressure on your ears after extended listening. A little adjustment or short break and you're fine. The M50 "full-size" ear pads, while soft, just weren't big enough - for me - to go all the way around my ears. Noise isolation will be about the same, if not better on the HD25.

The cord length is more ideal on the HD25 for portable use and they will sound fine straight from your iPhone.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #11,713 of 29,490

Quote:
Any particular reason you need single-sided? I mean, it's not all that inconvenient, and the HM5 is an excellent headphone. Also, i talked to the MP4nation reps, and they said they'd be back in stock early march. They just sold out really fast.

Single side is just a matter of preference, but everyone seems to love these, so I might go with them. If they're so great, why don't major companies carry them? Every other set i've looked into has been available on amazon, not these.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #11,714 of 29,490
First post here in a long time, but i'm looking to buy a new set of over-ears before i go off to college.

Right now i have some HD595s, which i like, but they're getting old and i'm GASing (HASing?) for a new set that'll work for me.

My main issue is that when i get the 595s to the volume level i want, there's a ton of leakage, being open-backed. This isn't ideal for dorm listening or for instrument/vocal monitoring, which i do fairly often in my home studio.

These are the only "cans" i've ever owned. I do have a set of SE530s, but those aren't comfortable for long periods and are a pain to take on and off.

I'm not looking to break the bank, i'd like to set a limit at $300, but really i'll spend what i need to get the best at somewhere around that range.

I'd prefer closed-back, unless the Senns are just abnormally loud and another set of opens would do, but i don't want anything that gets to the "noise-cancelling" level of closed.

I've taken looks at the AKG 701 family, the GMP 435S, and looked at the 598s, which i hear are only marginally better than the 595s. There's no good place to try out and listen around here, so a set i don't like means a shipped return.

I'd also like to note that i do occasionally use these to listen to my iPod, which i know isn't exactly a hi-fi device, but sounds pretty alright with high quality music, and it has some trouble getting the Senns loud enough. If you have a good recommendation that needs pushed fairly hard, i wouldn't be against getting a small dedicated preamp.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #11,715 of 29,490
Looking for some neutral cans for £160 or under (around $200-250), I'm coming from XB500s which are bass heavy and I enjoy them for electronic but for anything else (acoustic and whatnot) they fall flat on their face.

My music preferences are very varied, I don't listen to just one thing, however I don't listen to any rock/metal or pop.
Even though my music preferences are varied I do listen to a lot of electronic, acoustic and ambient therefore I feel a more neutral sounding pair of headphones would suit me however I definitely appreciate suggestions of all kind, I'll be using a FiiO E10 as the dac/amp.
I don't prefer open/closed, they're purely at home listening, soundstage is definitely preferred.

I've been trying to get a pair of HE-300s to the UK but sellers are limited, I'm also thinking about the DT-990 Pro 250s.

Thankyou!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back