++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #11,672 of 29,490
Getting new headphones in the 100 to 200 dollar price range, preferably around 150 dollars. My choices boiled down to The sr225, sr125, Hd558, Srh840, and the m50. 

I'm just having a hard time deciding which one to get as my first REAL set of headphones. I'm open to any advice. I mainly listen to classic, grunge, and alternative rock. But I also listen to classical music too.  Another thing is that I like bass, but not overwhelmingly so. I will be pairing my headphones with my cowon j3 that I just ordered. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #11,673 of 29,490

Quote:
You'll want to check the IEM/portable forums. Almost no full sized audiophile headphones will have a remote + mic built into the cable since it degrades sound quality.

tyvm, thats no good!

Quote:
Nope!

As a previous poster mentioned, not a whole lot of cans have the mic. However, if you still like IEMs, a lot of those do have the remote/mic combo, so maybe look there. The only one I can think of in your price range that fits your reqs is the Klipsch Image Ones, which aren't particularly good, as the bass is a bit overpowering.

ah,

not sure about IEMs tbh as i have some in ear earphones, wanting some headphones as they're cool now lol

the klipsch image ones do look okay but i havent really researched their SQ yet. ive seen some decent AKG ones which i might get.

Will put a post up in that section, cheers!

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #11,675 of 29,490
Hello all!

I'm looking for headphones good for (basic) mixing, and listening purposes. I will mainly use them to make hiphop and dance music.
Preferably non-amped .. budget around 150.  I'll most likely plug them into my Yamaha R300 speakers amp as it is hooked up to my computer (for old AR-4X speakers).

Any suggestions ? It needs good sound for hiphop, dance but not anything too much since I'd like to mix with it as well!

Hope you can help.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #11,676 of 29,490

Im in the market for a new pair of headphones, and want to buy a pair of Sennheiser headphones, my last pair ( which are now broken)  where sennheisers and they were some of the best headphones I've ever had.
Im looking at buying the HD 429s and a FiiO E5 amp.
I will be lisining to my music ( classic rock and heavy metal) at a loud volume in a loud enviorment ( most of the time) my budget is 100$ ( plus tax and shiping)

I just want to know if this is a good setup for me, or if their any better headphones and amps in my price range. ( preferabaly sennheiser but im open to other brands.)

thanks in advanced, and sorry for any spelling errors, I cant seem to find the spell check button.

heres the links for the headphones ( just google FiiO E5 my computer doesent want to do the link) :

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/over-ear-headphones-portables-hd-429-mid-size_504763

EDIT: I will be listening to the music off my Ipod touch and computer if it helps to know

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #11,677 of 29,490

Quote:
Getting new headphones in the 100 to 200 dollar price range, preferably around 150 dollars. My choices boiled down to The sr225, sr125, Hd558, Srh840, and the m50. 
I'm just having a hard time deciding which one to get as my first REAL set of headphones. I'm open to any advice. I mainly listen to classic, grunge, and alternative rock. But I also listen to classical music too.  Another thing is that I like bass, but not overwhelmingly so. I will be pairing my headphones with my cowon j3 that I just ordered. 

If going to use the headphones in public, stick to closed models.
If only used in private, get the open models (I do like my HD-558s).

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11,678 of 29,490
I am looking for a pair of headphones around $50 that have good accurate, clean, and precise bass. I am tired of the muddy sounding bass you get from the under $50 headphones. I have read about the panasonic HTF600 and they seem like they are popular for their bass. are there any other suggestion? For reference i listen to a lot of music with double kicks and i definitely want to hear an accurate reproduction of all the bass runs that are in music, but i also don't want to sacrifice the mids and highs any more than i have to get that bass, but i also usually appreciate the headphones that are fun to listen to, though i like my grado SR80's but they just seem like they need more power to drive like they would really benefit from a headphone amp which i don't have.thanks for any suggestions.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #11,680 of 29,490
Hello! I'm new here.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones for home use.Mostly music (rock, metal, industrial, instrumental, progressive etc.) and gaming. My budget is $300. Most people recommends Sennheiser HD558. I was looking Sennheiser PC 350 and 360 because they have mics.  So, mic would be preferable but not necessary.

Are HD558 good enough? Does mic disrupts sound quality? Do I need amp?

Please help!

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #11,681 of 29,490

Quote:
Im looking for something different and maybe even upgrade to better, Im still gonna save these cans they are awesome, but they clamp to my head really hard and it starts to hurt after couple of hours. Also want to try different brand.

So for comfort, i think the HD598s and the K701 will be better, and they should be warmer than the 770s.

Quote:

I agree with the previous poster that your decision of open v. closed will depend heavily on where and when you're going to be using them. Also, I don't know the Grados will work for classical very well, as they have a unique sound signature very geared towards rock. 
For closed cans, look into the HFI780s, M80s, HD25s, and D2000s, depending on comfort and portability needs. For open, check out the HD558s, though you can still consider the Grados.

Quote:
Should I get new HD600s for $316 or refurbished HD650s for $309?  Amazon had this fulfillment by amazon thingy and the company that is selling it is Pinnacle Deals. 

Depends on your amping and sound signature preferences. If it's legit, though, sounds like a pretty good deal.

Quote:
sennheiser hd215!! what do u guys think about it?? i badly want it!! thanks alot guys!!

Meh

Quote:
Hello all!

I'm looking for headphones good for (basic) mixing, and listening purposes. I will mainly use them to make hiphop and dance music.
Preferably non-amped .. budget around 150.  I'll most likely plug them into my Yamaha R300 speakers amp as it is hooked up to my computer (for old AR-4X speakers).

Any suggestions ? It needs good sound for hiphop, dance but not anything too much since I'd like to mix with it as well!

Hope you can help.

M50s, HFI580/780s, D1100, CAL!s, Koss DJ100, K181, etc. Bassy and closed cans.

Quote:

Im in the market for a new pair of headphones, and want to buy a pair of Sennheiser headphones, my last pair ( which are now broken)  where sennheisers and they were some of the best headphones I've ever had.
Im looking at buying the HD 429s and a FiiO E5 amp.
I will be lisining to my music ( classic rock and heavy metal) at a loud volume in a loud enviorment ( most of the time) my budget is 100$ ( plus tax and shiping)

I just want to know if this is a good setup for me, or if their any better headphones and amps in my price range. ( preferabaly sennheiser but im open to other brands.)

thanks in advanced, and sorry for any spelling errors, I cant seem to find the spell check button.

heres the links for the headphones ( just google FiiO E5 my computer doesent want to do the link) :

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/over-ear-headphones-portables-hd-429-mid-size_504763

EDIT: I will be listening to the music off my Ipod touch and computer if it helps to know

I don't think the E5s will make that big a difference, as the $25 might be better spent on a better pair of headphones. For $100 you could get the 449s, though neither will give you too much isolation. For your use, I think you'd like a better-isolating pair, like the AKG K181s, Koss DJ100s, and maybe the HFI580s if you can stretch your budget.

Quote:
I am looking for a pair of headphones around $50 that have good accurate, clean, and precise bass. I am tired of the muddy sounding bass you get from the under $50 headphones. I have read about the panasonic HTF600 and they seem like they are popular for their bass. are there any other suggestion? For reference i listen to a lot of music with double kicks and i definitely want to hear an accurate reproduction of all the bass runs that are in music, but i also don't want to sacrifice the mids and highs any more than i have to get that bass, but i also usually appreciate the headphones that are fun to listen to, though i like my grado SR80's but they just seem like they need more power to drive like they would really benefit from a headphone amp which i don't have.thanks for any suggestions.

Superlux 668B is a bit over, but fits the bill. I think maybe the Senn 428/9s might work as well.

Quote:
Headphone cables with a built-in mic and remote deteriorates the sound quality?  Is this true?  Is so, is it a noticeable difference (like black and white) or is it a very slight difference?

I'm not totally convinced it really makes a difference, and if it does, it will be minimal. It's not really something to be worried about.

Quote:
Hello! I'm new here.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones for home use.Mostly music (rock, metal, industrial, instrumental, progressive etc.) and gaming. My budget is $300. Most people recommends Sennheiser HD558. I was looking Sennheiser PC 350 and 360 because they have mics.  So, mic would be preferable but not necessary.

Are HD558 good enough? Does mic disrupts sound quality? Do I need amp?

Please help!

The 558s are good, and as good as you'll get before you start needing an amp. However, you could stretch to the 598s, which also work without an amp, though they sound better with one. The PC350/360 I think are essentially the 558/598s with a mic,  so you could save some money by adding a clip-on mic to those. Since the mic would be wired separately from the headphones, it will make no difference. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #11,682 of 29,490

[size=12.0pt]I’ve been lurking on this site for a few days and honestly I’m flat out confused. I’m way in over my head and need help picking out a pair of headphones. I’m not an audiophile at all. I don’t know a thing about headphones but music is extremely important to me. All I’ve ever owned are awful headphones. I listen to at least 3 hours of music a day, all while sitting at my computer. One thing I need to make clear is I’d really prefer wireless headphones. Although I know almost nothing about headphones I’m aware of the limitations wireless headphones provide (as aware as a noob can be). The problem though is I need to be able to move around easily while sitting at my computer and I really like the idea of them being wireless. That way if I get up and walk around to do some work I don’t have to constantly take them on and off my head or worry about cables being all over the place. I’m not saying I don’t want recommendations for non-wireless headphones but my preference is definitely is for wireless. I was looking at the Sennheiser RS220’s but again I don’t know if those are any good. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]MUSIC SOURCE[/size]
[size=12.0pt]These headphones will be used solely while I’m sitting at my computer. They will never be used out of my house. I have no idea if I need a new soundcard or if I need an amp. If the headphones someone suggests require an amp and a new soundcard for my computer I’m willing to pay the price to get it as well if it’s worth the money. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]MUSIC GENRES [/size]
[size=12.0pt]I listen to a wide range of music genres so I need headphones that will be good for everything except classical (nothing against classical I just don’t listen to it). I really don’t know the percentage breakdown but I listen to a lot of post-rock, hip-hop and synthpop. Specific artists if it helps: NIN, Tool, God Is an Astronaut, Gorillaz, Jesu, Fiona Apple, Radiohead, TV On The Radio, The Cruxshadows, Lupe Fiasco, Brother Ali; etc. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]AMPED[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Again I’m a complete noob so I don’t know the first thing about amps. If the headphones suggested by you guys requires/should have an amp let me know. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]USE[/size]
[size=12.0pt]70% music/30% movies and tv shows. All while sitting at my computer. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]PRICE RANGE[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I’m willing to spend $600 just on the headphones. I have no idea if I need an amp or a new soundcard. If I do that won’t be included in the price.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]COMFORT [/size]
[size=12.0pt]Extremely important. I’ll be listening to music three hours a day. I don’t want it to bother me to have these on my head. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]LOOKS AND BUILD [/size]
[size=12.0pt]I just care about the sound.[/size]

[size=12pt]Any and all help is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance. [/size]

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #11,683 of 29,490

HTF-600 accurate? No. They can be fun, though. Grab the Monoprice MEP-839s for $25. Best HPs for <$50, IMO. Some companies are selling them for $100 and all they do is add some red or gold paint.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #11,684 of 29,490
I've narrowed my search these three headphones. Can someone please explain to me how these compare to each other? and also if they need amps or not.

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD448[/size]

[size=1.7em]  Koss PRODJ 100[/size]

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #11,685 of 29,490

and they are a good option for people really looking for accurate bass that really hits hard?
Quote:
HTF-600 accurate? No. They can be fun, though. Grab the Monoprice MEP-839s for $25. Best HPs for <$50, IMO. Some companies are selling them for $100 and all they do is add some red or gold paint.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back