++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #11,686 of 29,490
and they are a good option for people really looking for accurate bass that really hits hard?

Well, more accurate than the HTF-600s. :wink: Very good accuracy is going to cost you, to the tune of $200+ for closed cans, but the MEP-839s do hit hard, and the bass is of a good quality.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #11,687 of 29,490

the reason i asked is one of the reviews i read of the panasonics mentioned the monoprice headphones and said the panasonics blew them out of the water. but music is such personal preference thing it is hard to always judge from what a few people say.
Quote:
Well, more accurate than the HTF-600s.
wink.gif
Very good accuracy is going to cost you, to the tune of $200+ for closed cans, but the MEP-839s do hit hard, and the bass is of a good quality.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #11,688 of 29,490
What are some good portable full size headphones that don't leak very much sound? I would like a proper balance of sound quality, good looks, minimal leakage, good comfort, and under $250 retail.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #11,689 of 29,490
the reason i asked is one of the reviews i read of the panasonics mentioned the monoprice headphones and said the panasonics blew them out of the water. but music is such personal preference thing it is hard to always judge from what a few people say.

"Blowing out of the water", IMO, means there's more bass from the Panasonics, but it isn't better bass. You did say you wanted more accuracy and impact.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #11,690 of 29,490

I'm having trouble deciding between ATH-M50, SRH 840 and HFI780. What would you recommend?

I've posted before and been recommended ah-d2000, but I don't like the Y cable. I like the HD 280's I use at work, but I'm looking for one step up. Any other models you can recommend would also be appreciated.

Price: ~200$
SQ: best possible given other constraints. I'm not a basshead. I'd like to hear my music for what it is, not manipulate it for kick. 
Music Source: iPhone or MacBook Pro without amp
Music Content: Melodic post rock (Toe), Classic Blues (Lightnin' Hopkins, Seasick Steve), New-age blues (Black Keys, White Stripes), Industrial Metal (Static-X), Folk (early Bob Dylan)
Size: Full-size, circumaural
Backing: Closed back
Comfort: Moderate to good - enough to get 5-7hrs use
Leakage: Moderate to low - I don't need absolute silence, but I wouldn't want to disturb others.
Noise cancelation: Passive
Portability: None necessary, though durability is always good
Cord: One-sided, preferably though not necessarily detachable

Thank you for your help. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #11,691 of 29,490
yeah i just want to buy something i can enjoy for a while instead of going right back into looking for another pair an hour after i get whatever headphones i buy and it seems like there is so much fluctuation every time i check head-fi in the popular around $50 headphones it is sometimes hard to keep track of. i know that when the superflux first came out they where really popular being $50. I guess it is just hard to believe a headphone that sells for barely over $20 is better than the rest of the $50 or under headphones. though i guess it shouldn't be a surprise considering how popular the ksc75's where for so long. thank you for your suggestion. i am leaning towards the monoprice set.

Quote:
"Blowing out of the water", IMO, means there's more bass from the Panasonics, but it isn't better bass. You did say you wanted more accuracy and impact.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #11,692 of 29,490
Hey all,

So I think I've been spending way too much time trying to decide what I want to buy.  I was literally on the Xears' website entering my shipping information, about to buy some IEM's, then I had an epiphany.  I already have a couple of decent IEM's, but no full sized headphones!  And I was looking for something to use at home.  It just made too much sense, I had to get full sized cans.  But now I've been going around in circles.  I was interested in ATH-M50's, then Shure SRH750DJs, then Sennheiser HD 25's, back to M50's, etc...  I need some opinions to help me on my way.

I'm looking for something to use while listening to music on my laptop while I'm at home, so open or closed cans are fine.  I don't care about portability at all.  Genre's will mainly be smooth music, like R&B, some rap, jazz, ballads, etc.  Sound quality is the most important to me.  I want something "fun", but still having accurate qualities to it.  I want quality bass, but not so much it will drown everything else out.  I also want something decently comfortable as well, as I may have longer sessions once in awhile. 

My max budget is around $250.  If I could get a few suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #11,693 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=12.0pt]I’ve been lurking on this site for a few days and honestly I’m flat out confused. I’m way in over my head and need help picking out a pair of headphones. I’m not an audiophile at all. I don’t know a thing about headphones but music is extremely important to me. All I’ve ever owned are awful headphones. I listen to at least 3 hours of music a day, all while sitting at my computer. One thing I need to make clear is I’d really prefer wireless headphones. Although I know almost nothing about headphones I’m aware of the limitations wireless headphones provide (as aware as a noob can be). The problem though is I need to be able to move around easily while sitting at my computer and I really like the idea of them being wireless. That way if I get up and walk around to do some work I don’t have to constantly take them on and off my head or worry about cables being all over the place. I’m not saying I don’t want recommendations for non-wireless headphones but my preference is definitely is for wireless. I was looking at the Sennheiser RS220’s but again I don’t know if those are any good. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]MUSIC SOURCE[/size]
[size=12.0pt]These headphones will be used solely while I’m sitting at my computer. They will never be used out of my house. I have no idea if I need a new soundcard or if I need an amp. If the headphones someone suggests require an amp and a new soundcard for my computer I’m willing to pay the price to get it as well if it’s worth the money. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]MUSIC GENRES [/size]
[size=12.0pt]I listen to a wide range of music genres so I need headphones that will be good for everything except classical (nothing against classical I just don’t listen to it). I really don’t know the percentage breakdown but I listen to a lot of post-rock, hip-hop and synthpop. Specific artists if it helps: NIN, Tool, God Is an Astronaut, Gorillaz, Jesu, Fiona Apple, Radiohead, TV On The Radio, The Cruxshadows, Lupe Fiasco, Brother Ali; etc. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]AMPED[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Again I’m a complete noob so I don’t know the first thing about amps. If the headphones suggested by you guys requires/should have an amp let me know. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]USE[/size]
[size=12.0pt]70% music/30% movies and tv shows. All while sitting at my computer. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]PRICE RANGE[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I’m willing to spend $600 just on the headphones. I have no idea if I need an amp or a new soundcard. If I do that won’t be included in the price.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]COMFORT [/size]
[size=12.0pt]Extremely important. I’ll be listening to music three hours a day. I don’t want it to bother me to have these on my head. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]LOOKS AND BUILD [/size]
[size=12.0pt]I just care about the sound.[/size]

[size=12pt]Any and all help is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance. [/size]

The RS220s are fairly new, so there's not a whole lot of impressions, but Jude was raving about them for a while, called them the wireless HD650, so I think you can assume that they're pretty good. The wireless headphone market is a pretty small niche, that's mainly filled by Sennheiser, so there's not a whole lot of other choices. TBH I have no idea how amping works on wireless headphones, so you'll have to ask around, but I can't think of how the amp would fit into the signal chain in that case. Maybe ask in the RS220 thread. Otherwise, this sounds like what you're looking for.

Quote:
I've narrowed my search these three headphones. Can someone please explain to me how these compare to each other? and also if they need amps or not.

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD448[/size]

[size=1.7em]  Koss PRODJ 100[/size]

None of them need amps, from what i've heard, the m50s will be the fun, bassy ones, the Kosses will be more neutral, and the 448s will be laid-back. Also keep in mind that the 448s will clamp less and isolate less, but be more comfortable. Final note: The M50s are in a different price range than the other 2, any particular reason why you put them there? 

Quote:
What are some good portable full size headphones that don't leak very much sound? I would like a proper balance of sound quality, good looks, minimal leakage, good comfort, and under $250 retail.

Well, any closed headphone is going to have minimal sound leakage, so that won't be hard to find. I guess the most difficult criterion you pose would be looks, as a lot of DJ cans and the like look strange when worn. Off the top of my head, look into the M80s, D2000s, HM5s, and if you like the DJ look, M50s, SRH840s, and HFI780s.

Quote:

I'm having trouble deciding between ATH-M50, SRH 840 and HFI780. What would you recommend?

I've posted before and been recommended ah-d2000, but I don't like the Y cable. I like the HD 280's I use at work, but I'm looking for one step up. Any other models you can recommend would also be appreciated.

Price: ~200$
SQ: best possible given other constraints. I'm not a basshead. I'd like to hear my music for what it is, not manipulate it for kick. 
Music Source: iPhone or MacBook Pro without amp
Music Content: Melodic post rock (Toe), Classic Blues (Lightnin' Hopkins, Seasick Steve), New-age blues (Black Keys, White Stripes), Industrial Metal (Static-X), Folk (early Bob Dylan)
Size: Full-size, circumaural
Backing: Closed back
Comfort: Moderate to good - enough to get 5-7hrs use
Leakage: Moderate to low - I don't need absolute silence, but I wouldn't want to disturb others.
Noise cancelation: Passive
Portability: None necessary, though durability is always good
Cord: One-sided, preferably though not necessarily detachable

Thank you for your help. 

Sorry to throw another headphone into the mix, but I think the HM5/FA-003s fit your criteria better than any of the others, especially in terms of comfort and your genres.

Quote:
Hey all,

So I think I've been spending way too much time trying to decide what I want to buy.  I was literally on the Xears' website entering my shipping information, about to buy some IEM's, then I had an epiphany.  I already have a couple of decent IEM's, but no full sized headphones!  And I was looking for something to use at home.  It just made too much sense, I had to get full sized cans.  But now I've been going around in circles.  I was interested in ATH-M50's, then Shure SRH750DJs, then Sennheiser HD 25's, back to M50's, etc...  I need some opinions to help me on my way.

I'm looking for something to use while listening to music on my laptop while I'm at home, so open or closed cans are fine.  I don't care about portability at all.  Genre's will mainly be smooth music, like R&B, some rap, jazz, ballads, etc.  Sound quality is the most important to me.  I want something "fun", but still having accurate qualities to it.  I want quality bass, but not so much it will drown everything else out.  I also want something decently comfortable as well, as I may have longer sessions once in awhile. 

My max budget is around $250.  If I could get a few suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

HD598s seem like a good choice

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #11,694 of 29,490
There's not a ton of options at $20, as most stuff is pretty mediocre... I've seen some people recommending JVCs in that price range, as well as some Monoprice DJ cans. You might want to go search for the thread for more info on that. Otherwise, look at ljokerl's review thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-98-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-pq2-and-philips-oneill-sho9560-added-01-02-12

Thx! got my hand on some nice cans with your advice. How bout klipsch? are they any good?

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #11,695 of 29,490

Quote:

None of them need amps, from what i've heard, the m50s will be the fun, bassy ones, the Kosses will be more neutral, and the 448s will be laid-back. Also keep in mind that the 448s will clamp less and isolate less, but be more comfortable. Final note: The M50s are in a different price range than the other 2, any particular reason why you put them there? 

I put the M50s in that list because it was a little bit above my price range, by like 40 bucks. I wanted to see if the difference in price of say the 448s would be worth the price difference.
 I probably also should have included the HD 280 pros to the list.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #11,696 of 29,490

Quote:

Thx! got my hand on some nice cans with your advice. How bout klipsch? are they any good?

The Image Ones? I've heard them once, and they struck me as quite bassy, which coincides with other impressions I've seen.

Quote:

I put the M50s in that list because it was a little bit above my price range, by like 40 bucks. I wanted to see if the difference in price of say the 448s would be worth the price difference.
 I probably also should have included the HD 280 pros to the list.

Well, they're significantly different than the other 2. Maybe you could look at the SRH840s or HM5s for stuff more similar to the cheaper options.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #11,697 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry to throw another headphone into the mix, but I think the HM5/FA-003s fit your criteria better than any of the others, especially in terms of comfort and your genres.

Wow, people are saying some great things about FA-003. I like the idea of neutrality, but they don't fit my one-cord criteria. Neither does HM5 (HM5=FA-003?). I also can't find find them for sale online, meaning I would have to wait until someone restocked. 

Worth it?

Thanks again.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #11,698 of 29,490
Feb 3, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #11,699 of 29,490

Quote:
Wow, people are saying some great things about FA-003. I like the idea of neutrality, but they don't fit my one-cord criteria. Neither does HM5 (HM5=FA-003?). I also can't find find them for sale online, meaning I would have to wait until someone restocked. 

Worth it?

Thanks again.

Any particular reason you need single-sided? I mean, it's not all that inconvenient, and the HM5 is an excellent headphone. Also, i talked to the MP4nation reps, and they said they'd be back in stock early march. They just sold out really fast.

Quote:
Do headphones like the Shure440, Shure840, Audio-Technica Pro700MK2, and Krk KNS 840, which all have a detachable, "screw-in" cable take cables such as these:

http://www.installer.com/photos/ib35mm.jpg
http://www.hflshop.net/iphone-batteries/210/
http://swarovskisau.com/commonbuys/images/auxcable.jpg

or do they need a specific kind of cable made by their respective companies?  Thanks!

I think most of them use proprietary cable connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back