++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #11,641 of 29,490

I've narrowed my choice for open full size headphone to these:

AKG K701
Sennheiser HD558 (or maybe the 598 if it is worth it)
Audio technica ATH-AD900

I do not have a headphone amp and I will use these only at home. I'm looking for a balanced sound, with no particular emphasis on any part of the frequency range. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #11,642 of 29,490
Fiist, I must applaud your taste in music. Second, nice writeup, but you missed one thing. Home or portable? From the Galaxy Nexus mention, I assume you might use them on the go, but seeing as you already have your IEMs... For closed headphones that could double as a portable, maybe check out the SRH840s, HM5s (a little more neutral), or the Denon D2000s, M80s, HFI780s (more bass perhaps?). For open, maybe look at the Q701, HD598, or some beyerdynamics, though these might need at least an entry-level amp/dac like the E10.

Thanks. I was a worried about putting myself out there and getting comments like you listen to that. But from what I've seen everyone is pretty accepting of other's tastes around here.

Regarding portability, I would like it to be portable in that I can take them to the office from time to time, on vacation, or camping. However, I don't need them for walking around. But if I am eliminating a viable option with better sq with this level of portability, I would rather go with the sq. I'm giving the HM5s serious consideration. The Denon's I have heard can perhaps be a little more bass than I like, given my preferences. What do you think? I'm also seriously looking at the hd598s as well. Would it make sense to purchase the hd598s drive them with what I have and once I have the funds invest in a nice amp. That way when I am possibly thinking of upgrading I'll have a adquate amp.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #11,643 of 29,490
The Sennheiser 5xx series is great for movies and gaming.  You really can't go wrong with them.  They don't absolutely require amplification, but they greatly improve with it.

Quote:

Oh I think you're misunderstanding me. I want the M50's because they don't leak sound since they're closed, and I do radio w/ a condenser microphone so yea. They'll be exclusively for music.

I was wondering if some Sennheiser 5xx's would be a good 2nd pair to get even if I'm just using them for games and movies. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #11,644 of 29,490
Hey all! I'm a longtime IEM user and I'm thinking of buying a pair of cans. I have a budget of around $150 USD.

Generally I prefer sound signature that's warm (or on the warm side of balanced). I definitely like to have some sonic flavor and steer clear of anything dry or analytical. I prefer forward mids but have no problem with them being neutral, I'm not a fan of recessed mids and I like them to be silky smooth and flow like liquid.

I like bass with good impact and extension but I don't need them to be cannons. I also like to have as massive of a soundstage as I can get, whether it be immersive or spacious. I enjoy both forms of presentation.

Build quality is a huge thing for me, I can't drop money on audio quality alone, I'm looking for a complete package. Overall, I'm looking for something that's very fun, engaging, non fatiguing. These will be amped with a portable so impedance isn't really an issue. These will only be used to listen to music, no movies or gaming.

Thanks for all of your help!

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #11,645 of 29,490
Quote:
Music
  1. Rock- RHCP, Incubus, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rise Against, Thrice, Kings of Leon, Grateful Dead, Audioslave, 311, Therefore I Am, Brand New, CCR, etc.
  2. Pop-rock- Third Eye Blind, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, The Beatles, The Killers, Oasis etc.
  3. House- Deadmau5, Flux Pavilion, Swedish House Mafia, Avicii
  4. Rap/Hip-hop- Aesop Rock, Nas, Tupac, The Roots, OutKast, Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye
  5. Also a lot of mellow music a la City and Colour, Slightly Stoopid, DCFC, OAR, Bob Marley etc.
  6. Lot's of FLAC and high quality OGG files for the most part.
Sound Signature
Not totally sure if I would like a neutral or colored headphone better to be honest but as you can see the majority of my music is rock oriented.  I have a pair of Senn HD25-1 II for portability that I enjoy but I haven't had a lot to compare them with.  I can say with certainty that I would like a slightly more aggressive sound, a rather wide and accurate soundstage (to contrast the Senn's I own now), bass with decent impact/control, and highs that have a fair bit of sparkle.  With all that said detail and accuracy of detail are key but not at the expense of enjoying my music.

What to get
I have a budget of up to 350 USD (a little over if need be) for a pair of headphones and a Amp/Dac but obviously do not wish to spend it all for the sake of spending it.  They will be used at home in a quite area so isolation and portability are a non-issue.  I have been floundering between the Fischer FA-003's and FA-011's though I have a feeling that I might find the 003's to be too sterile.  Would a pair of 011's paired with a Fiio E17 be suitable for my music tastes?  If not, what do you suggest?  Also keep in mind that I will most likely sell off the E17 in favor of the upcoming ODA/ODAC ( desktop version of the O2 amp + DAC) when it is released.  What say you Head-Fi?!

Quote:
Well, if you want a change from your HD25s, maybe opens are the way to go. For your budget you could get the Q701 or HD598, which would probably work nicely with your E17. 

To be honest from what I've read about both of these headphones it sounds like they would be seriously lacking in the bass department for both Rap/Hip-hop and any EDM while only being average for rock music.  The Q701's are often described as thin sounding while the HD598's are said to excel in the orchestral and acoustic genres.  However, I do agree that an open headphone may be preferable to contrast my HD25's.  Any other suggestions?

Edit: Sorry, kinda screwed up the first quote.  Kinda new to the whole forum thing. 
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #11,646 of 29,490
hey thank u fr replying to my last post. . :)
bt since i live in dubai. . options are a bit low. . and costly. .
what i have in mind ryt nw is d akg k514. . is it any good?? it looks like it is made out of cheap plastic. . 
thank u again. . :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #11,647 of 29,490
so could anyone help me with minestrange request?

"heya. i have limited amount of money, and i can't decide if i can pay more for better headphones (i mean, is it really that worth to pay more for better headphones?) i am buying from this store (this is my native store, so i translated site with google translator): http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=lt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifipasaulis.lt%2Findex.php%2Fkatalogas%2Fbrowse%2F14-ausins%3Fsef%3Dhc&act=url (btw, they translate price, for ex. 240 LT (litas, my native money), so they put price 240 £, just in case)  so i would want to fit in 200, or if it's extra worth in 300. and if there's ennourmosly big difference between those cheap headphones, and for example ath-m50 (those cost 500, if they're soo much better than other ones, i might consider these, because i read a lot of reviews, ath-m50 is just for me) i want closed btw.
so i'm mostly listening dubstep (well, not total fanboy, because famous artists are ruining real dubstep), some beats, dnb, well, i just want headphones with punchy bass (not really on that bass from which my head would shake :D, but still, bass is requirement), crisp highs, overall balanced sound. should be durable, broke few cans before.
btw, i heard about ultrasone hfi series or shure, but i can't find to buy them in my country (lithuania), but maybe i will go to vacation and grab those, what you think about ultrasones and shure?

thanks in advance" 

it would be awesome if someone could answer not only "listen to all headphones at store", i'm too shy and lazy to listen for all headphones.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #11,648 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, what kind of music do you listen to? Also, sound signature preferences? I've heard that the AKGs can clamp pretty hard, so they might not be ideal for studying. The CALs are always a solid choice, and are probably a bit more bass-heavy than the superluxes, but not the AKGs.

I listen to a variety of music. 311, Ben Folds, Avenged Sevenfold, Flyleaf, Vitamin String Quartet, Mumford & Sons, AC/DC, Queen, Johnny Cash, a little bit of rap, not enough to really influence a headphone choice however. 
Yes, I read the AKGs clamp hard, so I will probably rule them out. The CALs definitely look solid, just missed an eBay auction on them, ha. I know if I got them I would be happy. I know if I got the DBI 700s I would most likely have to replace the pads (another $30) but they are tough as nails, literally. As for sound signature preferences, I don't want something too bass heavy, and that's about my only preference for sound signature. I'm afraid I don't have the experience enough to have a big opinion. 

Mids: Forward? I believe is the right word I am looking for
Highs: Smooth, not grainy I guess.
Bass: I'm not a basshead, therefore a large amount is not needed. Enough for a punctuation point on the music, not an exclamation mark.

I guess my decision falls to CAL vs Superlux HD668B vs DBI 700 (only show up on eBay every once in awhile). The Superlux is more open than the CALs though, right? I keep reading more and more good thing on the Superlux's, is there that much sound leakage? With how cheap they are I wouldn't feel bad upgrading their pads. Yet if I upgrade the pads, I might as well have just gotten the CALs :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #11,649 of 29,490
Looking for some headphone advice please guys. I've been looking around at different cans and I think I'm leaning towards either the Beyerdynamic DT770s or DT990s but I'm open to other suggestions. I can realistically use open or closed and I have used both in the past. Comfort is an absolute must, I could end up wearing these for 5+ hours a day and I don't want anything but circumaural.

I'm also looking for advice on what amp to pair with these headphones. I will be running off a laptop so from what I gather I'm going to need an amp of some kind for most decent headphones.

My music preference is pretty varied, I spend most of my time jumping between trance/dance and rock/pop nowadays though so aiming towards that kind of sound. I like heavy bass as well, especially when I'm listening to trance. I'll also be using them to watch movies and play games.

Max I can justify spending is around $300-350, I can raise that though if there's a good reason to do so. I previously owned some Sennheiser HD595s and I really enjoyed them. I'm a bit of an audio noob so would value some experienced advice as to what to go for next.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #11,650 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for some headphone advice please guys. I've been looking around at different cans and I think I'm leaning towards either the Beyerdynamic DT770s or DT990s but I'm open to other suggestions. I can realistically use open or closed and I have used both in the past. Comfort is an absolute must, I could end up wearing these for 5+ hours a day and I don't want anything but circumaural.
I'm also looking for advice on what amp to pair with these headphones. I will be running off a laptop so from what I gather I'm going to need an amp of some kind for most decent headphones.
My music preference is pretty varied, I spend most of my time jumping between trance/dance and rock/pop nowadays though so aiming towards that kind of sound. I like heavy bass as well, especially when I'm listening to trance. I'll also be using them to watch movies and play games.
Max I can justify spending is around $300-350, I can raise that though if there's a good reason to do so. I previously owned some Sennheiser HD595s and I really enjoyed them. I'm a bit of an audio noob so would value some experienced advice as to what to go for next.

My two cents.
I'm going to guess your going to be getting the 250-Ohm version of the two choices.
If you are only really going to be using headphones in a non public area, get the DT990, I believe your ears will take less of a pounding with open headphones.
Amp wise, a Fiio E9 headphone amplifier with the Fiio D3 external DAC.
Total price somewhere around $300.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #11,651 of 29,490

Quote:
My two cents.
I'm going to guess your going to be getting the 250-Ohm version of the two choices.
If you are only really going to be using headphones in a non public area, get the DT990, I believe your ears will take less of a pounding with open headphones.
Amp wise, a Fiio E9 headphone amplifier with the Fiio D3 external DAC.
Total price somewhere around $300.

Thanks for the advice and please excuse my ignorance but how exactly do I connect this kit together? I've had a look but I can't see any particular idiot's guides to these things and I've never had any kind of amp or DAC before for my headphones. To answer your original question/statement yes I was intending to go for the 250-Ohm variants along with the amp/DAC.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #11,652 of 29,490
Been lurking here for a few months now, but i'm stuck and need advice so i made an account.  I've combed through multiple threads trying to find answers already, but i seem to be broadening my decision rather than narrowing it down with every thread i read.  So i figured i'd ask with the specifics that are important to me.  I currently own a pair of ATH-M50's and love them, but now i'm thinking of upgrading.  Considering what they have done for my listening experience if there is better to be had within my price range i want it.

I primarily want headphones for listening to House and Dubstep.  Those are kind of broad genres so to be more specific on the type of sound i like some of the DJ's/producers i particularly enjoy are Nero, Flux Pavilion, The Glitch Mob, Dada Life, Deadmou5, Doctor P, Dj Fresh, Rusko, Sub Focus, and bassnectar.  Some specific songs would be Ferry Corsten - Punk, ladybox - cookies fly, Deadmau5 - Aural psynapse.  

I'm looking at the $300 range but would be willing to go as high as $400 if the price difference made a big enough difference in quality.  I want some portability, and as much comfort as possible without sacrificing the sound i'm looking for.  Strong but accurate bass.  Accuracy is more important.  I listen to a lot of stuff with female vocals so i want something that will do well with female vocals as well. Besides that,  clear all encompassing sound.  Sorry,  i'm not better at articulating what i'm looking for but i hope i've communicated clearly enough to get the advise i'm looking for.  Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond. also any advice on overall setup would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #11,653 of 29,490
Hi there,
Im looking for full size over ear headphones to replace my studio beats. I was seriously considering Bose QC15's before i saw the less than reputable reviews on sound quality. That leads my to my question? What cans should I get? I would prefer Noise cancelling, but i am really just looking for good sound quality with no sound leakage. If anyone has any suggestions please go ahead and PM me or reply.
BTW my pricepoint is around 350 CDN and i listen to mostly 70's 80's rock and modern rock, hip hop and pop.
Jeff

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #11,654 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and please excuse my ignorance but how exactly do I connect this kit together? I've had a look but I can't see any particular idiot's guides to these things and I've never had any kind of amp or DAC before for my headphones. To answer your original question/statement yes I was intending to go for the 250-Ohm variants along with the amp/DAC.

First off, I should have said Fiio D5 (USB) not D3 (optical).

The E9 could be hooked directly to the line out/speaker/headphone output jack (3.5mm mini jack) on your laptop, just need a 3.5mm mini jack cable, male both ends.

Your Laptop came with a low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), which feeds the 3.5mm line out/speaker/headphone output jack with an analog audio signal.
Fiio D5 should provide better DAC feature then what your laptop came with.
So, you would run a USB cable from your laptop's USB port to the USB input on the D5, then a 3.5mm mini jack cable, male at both ends, from the line out on the D5 to the line in on the E9.

Computers, (laptop and desk top) have electrical noise which can interfere with analog audio signals.
So using the USB port (which is a digital signal), you take the digital audio signal to an external device (Fiio D5), so the audio signal is converted to an analog signal away from the inside of the computer.

Hope this helps.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #11,655 of 29,490
Hi! been following this forum for quite some time now and would like to get some buying tips for headphones. can you guys recommend some nice cans within the range of $20-$30? on-ear and over-ear(if possible) i don't really like the in-ear things. thx in advance! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back