++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #11,506 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm sure all of you are very tired of answering basically the same answers, but I'll try my luck!
So, I listen to music for hours almost every day, directly from my iMac. I don't have an amp, I just have the HD598's which I actually really like, but I'm going to give them away either way.
Now I'm looking to upgrade, with a budget of about 300$-500$ for the headphones and then I guess I need an amp (and/or DAC as well?).
The models I've been looking at more closely are the following: AKG Q701, Sennheiser 600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT880. Any other suggestions, for over-ear headphones in that price range more or less?
I have listened to them all, except the DT880.. And so far I really like the Q701, except that they have really little bass and I do occasionally listen to music that requires a bit more bass than that.. I also watch a lot of movies. I also listened to the 600/650, but only briefly so I'm not sure about these.
Then about the amp and DAC thing.... Will an amp alone make a noticeable difference? Will a DAC alone make a noticeable difference, more so than just an amp? And will a DAC and amp together make an even more noticeable difference? I was looking at the FiiO desktop models and also this one: LINK which someone recommended because they apparently compete with amps much more expensive..
I'm having a really hard time choosing, so any help is much appreciated!
BTW: Anyone know where I can test some headphones like these in Switzerland? Somewhere in the middle.

The iMac you have been using your HD-598s with already has a DAC in it.
You could plug an external headphone amplifier into your iMac and us it's built in DAC.
You can get a better (external) DAC then what your iMac has, which will improve sound quality.
You will need a new headphone amplifier to go with the new external DAC.
The Senn HD-598s (50-Ohm) can work decently without a headphone amplifier, but sounds better with one.
The AKG Q701 (62-Ohm), Sennheiser 600/650 (300-Ohm) and Beyer DT880 (250-Ohm?) will require you to buy a headphone amplifier for them to work.
The link you has go to a well like portable headphone amplifier, the Objective 2 portable headphone amplifier, hopefully in a month or two, there will be a new Objective 2 headphone amplifier that is a desktop model (AC powered) and comes with a built in DAC of it's own.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #11,507 of 29,490
>
Both the T70 and the D5000 are pretty big FYI, and will probably be a bit awkward for portable use. Also, what's wrong with the P5s as portables? They have a really nice, compact form factor... Maybe check out the SRH940s or Brainwavz HM5 though.

Thanks for the suggestions. From pictures, the HM 5 are much too large to bring around... the shure srh940 look nice for the price and more portable than the t70 but I saw a thread talking about both the 940 and t70 and people were saying the t70 would be an upgrade to the srh940 so I'd probably skip the 940in that case.there's nothing wrong with the p5s as portables and will probably end up keeping them as my main portable but want a pair of cans that I can bring on certain occasions and still use at home (forgot to mention that part in my first post).

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #11,508 of 29,490
Any recent iMac's amp/dac and headphone out is of generally high quality.  Going from the iMac's sound to an external dac you won't hear much of a difference.  You'd be better off spending more on the headphone up front.  This all depends on how hard the headphone you're trying to get is to drive though.  

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #11,509 of 29,490
Still can't decided. Grado sr325is or rs2i. Is it really worth the $200 more for the rs2i? And size comparison, which one is larger and which on sticks out more. Also which one is better for classic rock. EG: Queen, Radiohead, Pink Floyd?

-Thanks for the Help in advance

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #11,510 of 29,490
heya. i have limited amount of money, and i can't decide if i can pay more for better headphones (i mean, is it really that worth to pay more for better headphones?) i am buying from this store (this is my native store, so i translated site with google translator): http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=lt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifipasaulis.lt%2Findex.php%2Fkatalogas%2Fbrowse%2F14-ausins%3Fsef%3Dhc&act=url (btw, they translate price, for ex. 240 LT (litas, my native money), so they put price 240 £, just in case)  so i would want to fit in 200, or if it's extra worth in 300. and if there's ennourmosly big difference between those cheap headphones, and for example ath-m50 (those cost 500, if they're soo much better than other ones, i might consider these, because i read a lot of reviews, ath-m50 is just for me) i want closed btw.
so i'm mostly listening dubstep (well, not total fanboy, because famous artists are ruining real dubstep), some beats, dnb, well, i just want headphones with punchy bass (not really on that bass from which my head would shake :D, but still, bass is requirement), crisp highs, overall balanced sound. should be durable, broke few cans before.
btw, i heard about ultrasone hfi series, but i can't find to buy them in my country (lithuania), but maybe i will go to vacation and grab those, what you think about ultrasones?

thanks in advance

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #11,512 of 29,490
i make some electronic music, need a neutral hp (open or closed)

got the k271mkII but it lacks bass

srh840 looks fine but those loose cables
srh 940 would be ok if it where made of metal

i know akgs are also plastic but they are very, very, very solid

maybe the dt880? 

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #11,513 of 29,490
I'm going to be making my first big purchase next week. I've been saving up for months.

I've narrowed it down to: HD-800, Audeze LCD-2 and HE-500. Here is why I keep going back and forth:

Sensitive ears! Yes, my ears can get fatigued pretty easily. I've owned SR-80s for years, and never had an issue. But when I recently tried the PS500's, I was getting ear aches, and i felt like my head had been boxed in. I believe it was due to the boomy bass. I know, PS500's are considered "mellow" headphones. And yet, I still would get the headaches. I put on my SR-80s and compared, and again no fatigue (SR-80's aren't as bassy). 

This is why on some level, I'm learning towards the HD-800's. Because they have a large soundstage. And I think I would get less fatigue. They are also probably the most physically comfortable headphones. But the downside to that is: lack of bass (I hear?) and you really need to have a good pairing amp to bring the best out of it. 

But then...I think, LCD-2 might have the bass, but if it's a very smooth, natural, sound, then maybe my ears won't be irritated. Then well, I've heard nothing but good things about the HE-500. I know I'm being somewhat vague here. And to be honest, I'm a bit of a noob. So how I describe the headphones above, or my understanding of them could be completely off. But essentially: I don't want too aggressive of a headphone. I want a smooth sound. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #11,514 of 29,490

Quote:
i make some electronic music, need a neutral hp (open or closed)

got the k271mkII but it lacks bass

srh840 looks fine but those loose cables
srh 940 would be ok if it where made of metal

i know akgs are also plastic but they are very, very, very solid

maybe the dt880? 

If you like the AKGs but want a little more bass, the K240 mkII might be a good choice.  They're described as neutral with a slight bass emphasis.  The 840s could also work, but I wouldn't recommend the 940s or the 880s.  Both have a treble emphasis.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #11,515 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm going to be making my first big purchase next week. I've been saving up for months.

I've narrowed it down to: HD-800, Audeze LCD-2 and HE-500. Here is why I keep going back and forth:

Sensitive ears! Yes, my ears can get fatigued pretty easily. I've owned SR-80s for years, and never had an issue. But when I recently tried the PS500's, I was getting ear aches, and i felt like my head had been boxed in. I believe it was due to the boomy bass. I know, PS500's are considered "mellow" headphones. And yet, I still would get the headaches. I put on my SR-80s and compared, and again no fatigue (SR-80's aren't as bassy). 

This is why on some level, I'm learning towards the HD-800's. Because they have a large soundstage. And I think I would get less fatigue. They are also probably the most physically comfortable headphones. But the downside to that is: lack of bass (I hear?) and you really need to have a good pairing amp to bring the best out of it. 

But then...I think, LCD-2 might have the bass, but if it's a very smooth, natural, sound, then maybe my ears won't be irritated. Then well, I've heard nothing but good things about the HE-500. I know I'm being somewhat vague here. And to be honest, I'm a bit of a noob. So how I describe the headphones above, or my understanding of them could be completely off. But essentially: I don't want too aggressive of a headphone. I want a smooth sound. 

From what I know of those (the only ones I've heard are the HD800s), you'd probably prefer the HE500s.  The HD800s are super-comfy with their wide cups and light clamping force, but they're also hyper-revealing.  Not really a problem if all of your recordings are well-mastered, but heaven forbid if they aren't.  When I listened to them, albums that I previously thought sounded good sounded terrible because every little flaw was picked out, which really ruined the listening experience.  I don't know too much about the LCD-2s, but most people who own them call them the audiophile's basshead can.  Everything sounds good, of course, but the bass is emphasized.  If the bass on the PS500s was fatiguing, then the LCDs might have too much for you.  The HE500s, on the other hand, have been described as an excellent all-around easy listening headphone, which is what you appear to be looking for.  Just be aware that they take a good bit of juice to sound their best.

If you really liked the SR80s, you could also consider some of the higher-end Grados.  The PS500s are completely different from the standard Grado sound signature, which has the same general character from the SR60 all the way up to the GS1000.  Maybe the RS1s?

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #11,516 of 29,490
I have a pair of AKG k518LE that I really like but I end up using my Sennheiser (HD 535) often because the AKG's are really uncomfortable (too small for my head). I've been looking to buy a pair of over-ear headphones for a while but kept brushing it off... Anyway, my Sennheiser's are falling apart and seeing that I need $70 in replacement parts, I figure I should buy about now. I listen to a lot of electric music (in other words, dubstep) so something that has bass (but not overpowering) and is within the $50-100 range. I'm considering Audio-Technica M30's and Sony XB500's but am open to suggestions. What do you guys recommend? (Something on Amazon is preferable)

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #11,518 of 29,490

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with returning headphones to Amazon?  Their policy states that it's 30 days, but people have told me their is a %rstock and that headphones can only be returned if unopened

I had no problems returning a pair of v-moda m80's about a month ago.   Took about three days to get my refund (two of which were shipping).  Did you buy through a third party on amazon?  If that's the case you might have to see what that individual seller's policy is.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #11,519 of 29,490
Hey! I have a question for you guys, I have just bought some Audio-Technica ATH-M50s yesterday, but now i'm kind of kicking myself. I may have purchased them from a dealer I shouldn't have. I have researched but could not find ANYTHING on the website www.ephonix.com.  Does anyone have experience with ephonix and could help me? Would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #11,520 of 29,490
New Head-Fier here, and i'm looking for advice to get an understanding about the quality of headphones in terms of pricing.

for different price ranges, for example $100-200 and all other ranges, what quality of headphones can i expect?

i'm looking for over-ear headphones for general use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back