++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #11,101 of 29,490
Hey im looking to buy a pair of IEM's and my budget is $250 right now. I listen to mostly classic rock, 70's metal, jazz, acoustic, hard rock, some rap/hiphop, and i listen to some techno/dance stuff. The Vsonic GR07 caught my attention. I currently own a pair of SRH940 over ears monitors. I want the sound to be as detailed as possibles with as big a sound stage as possible while still maintaining suficent bass- not overpowering but just enough. What do you guys think. I can also look outside price range as well but probably not more than 300 or so. Thanks  

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #11,102 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, gotta save first, that's what I mean by "not happening currently".  And what about the V6's professional bro, the 7506?

I think the consensus is that at least at $100, neither is the best deal out there. I would recommend you look through this thread to get a better feel of what's out there.

Quote:
Currently im living in Turkey but my friend lives in UK so he'll buy the phones for me and ship it to me right away.

I think the HFI 580 is still worth looking into, but you might also consider the Sennheiser HD5xx series if you're not going to be using them outside. I've heard the cracking is purely cosmetic, and a rumor that it's recently been fixed, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Hey im looking to buy a pair of IEM's and my budget is $250 right now. I listen to mostly classic rock, 70's metal, jazz, acoustic, hard rock, some rap/hiphop, and i listen to some techno/dance stuff. The Vsonic GR07 caught my attention. I currently own a pair of SRH940 over ears monitors. I want the sound to be as detailed as possibles with as big a sound stage as possible while still maintaining suficent bass- not overpowering but just enough. What do you guys think. I can also look outside price range as well but probably not more than 300 or so. Thanks  

The GR07 are an excellent choice for detail, while still retaining bass. Maybe also look into the FXT90, EX600, or eq5

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #11,103 of 29,490
Hi, I am seeking to buy headphones under 200$.. They are mostly for listening all kind of music. I don't want really bulky ones, I'd like em to pe portable(ish). Here are some I have considered(KRK KNS 8400, Sure SRH840, Audio Technica M50s). Which pair would you recommend or would you recommend any other kind?

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #11,104 of 29,490
I am looking to purchase a portable headphone amplifier (first) and a new set of open headphones (afterwards). I have a flexible budget (so lets just call it $600 total), and am looking for suggestions. I had a pair of Grado SR-125i's which I thought sounded decent. However, the cabling twisted and broke and I am looking for something a little more sturdy. I've always been partial to Sennheiser, but the fact that the 650's are 300 ohm makes me wary.

I will be using this mostly on my desktop computer with an Asus Xonar DX. Right now, I mostly use the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (they are noise cancelling, which is perfect for blocking the sound of obnoxious kids playing outside). They look to have fairly high impedance (260), so the amplifier needs to be able to drive those as well.

ATH-ANC7 Specs: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f9450db308d97785/index.html

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #11,105 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I am seeking to buy headphones under 200$.. They are mostly for listening all kind of music. I don't want really bulky ones, I'd like em to pe portable(ish). Here are some I have considered(KRK KNS 8400, Sure SRH840, Audio Technica M50s). Which pair would you recommend or would you recommend any other kind?

I've not looked a lot into the KRKs, but between the Shures and the M50s, the Shures have a more balanced sound, but are also heavier and bulkier than the M50s, which tent towards a v-curve. All of them being DJ-style cans, they'll fold up into a reasonably compact ball. The bigger issue with portability I feel would be the 10-foot cables that come with them. The Shures have a detachable cable, which might make them easier to replace with a shorter one, or you could just coil up the excess and hide that somewhere like I do.

Quote:
I am looking to purchase a portable headphone amplifier (first) and a new set of open headphones (afterwards). I have a flexible budget (so lets just call it $600 total), and am looking for suggestions. I had a pair of Grado SR-125i's which I thought sounded decent. However, the cabling twisted and broke and I am looking for something a little more sturdy. I've always been partial to Sennheiser, but the fact that the 650's are 300 ohm makes me wary.

I will be using this mostly on my desktop computer with an Asus Xonar DX. Right now, I mostly use the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (they are noise cancelling, which is perfect for blocking the sound of obnoxious kids playing outside). They look to have fairly high impedance (260), so the amplifier needs to be able to drive those as well.

ATH-ANC7 Specs: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f9450db308d97785/index.html

First of all, I've never seen a NC model that requires an amp, because they're designed for portable use, and it would be counter-intuitive to make them amp dependent. I have a feeling that impedance might have something to do with the active noise cancelling circuitry and the battery that comes with them, but I could be wrong. As far as amps go, you might want to look into the new Fiio E17, which is supposed to be quite good, and can pair up with an E9 for home use if you need it. For the headphones, you might want to check out Senn's HD598 in addition to the 600 series. The list could be narrowed down if you provided a list of genres or a preferred sound signature.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #11,106 of 29,490

Quote:
I think the HFI 580 is still worth looking into, but you might also consider the Sennheiser HD5xx series if you're not going to be using them outside. I've heard the cracking is purely cosmetic, and a rumor that it's recently been fixed, but don't quote me on that.

Looks good on the paper, but i got couple questions tho.
Can i replace the earpads to sennheiser/beyerdynamic ear cushions?(i dont like leather earpads) which ones will fit?
If cable got broken, can i replace the cable easily?

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #11,107 of 29,490

Quote:
First of all, I've never seen a NC model that requires an amp, because they're designed for portable use, and it would be counter-intuitive to make them amp dependent. I have a feeling that impedance might have something to do with the active noise cancelling circuitry and the battery that comes with them, but I could be wrong. As far as amps go, you might want to look into the new Fiio E17, which is supposed to be quite good, and can pair up with an E9 for home use if you need it. For the headphones, you might want to check out Senn's HD598 in addition to the 600 series. The list could be narrowed down if you provided a list of genres or a preferred sound signature.

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. I mostly listen to classical. However, I game with the same pair of headphones (playing Battlefield), so hard hitting bass is also appreciated. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 700's as well. If it were headphones alone, I could afford it; however looking at the other threads, combining it with $250 amplifiers and DAC's would put it out of range.

I've been following the whole E17 thread relatively close; it also looks like the E9 is a good suggestion.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #11,108 of 29,490
Hello all! I've been reading the site for about a week and a half in effort to find a good set of new cans, so I figured I'd ask here. There are A LOT of choices out there. I'd like them to be:
-$100-$150
-Over-the-ear
-Preferably closed, but it doesn't matter all that much.
I listen to mostly rock (Foo Fighters, Beatles, Rush, System of A Down) and metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath). I have my motherboard's sound chip (I have an old creative on hand if needed) feeding into an old Kenwood KR-A46 stereo receiver, which my current headphones (JVC HA-RX300) are plugged into. Also, I game, but this is largely irrelevant as I play music much louder than the game volume. Thanks in advance!

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #11,109 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all! I've been reading the site for about a week and a half in effort to find a good set of new cans, so I figured I'd ask here. There are A LOT of choices out there. I'd like them to be:
-$100-$150
-Over-the-ear
I listen to mostly rock (Foo Fighters, Beatles, Rush, System of A Down) and metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath). I have my motherboard's sound chip (I have an old creative on hand if needed) feeding into an old Kenwood KR-A46 stereo receiver, which my current headphones (JVC HA-RX300) are plugged into. Also, I game, but this is largely irrelevant as I play music much louder than the game volume. Thanks in advance!

To me, sounds like the FA-003 or the Brainwavz HM5 :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #11,110 of 29,490
Hey all. New to the forums but somewhat of a lurker. I'm by no means an audiophile and that makes looking for my first pair of full-size headphones all the more confusing/intimidating. My only "Hi-Fi" piece of equipment would be a pair of triplefi 10's that I got a while back from Amazon gold box deal that I use daily with a Clip+ for biking to campus (soon to be college graduate). I'm looking for a pair of full-sized, over the ear headphones to be used mainly on my PC for listening to music, gaming, watching stuff. I mainly listen to K-pop, techno/trance and the usual American mainstream stuff. Price-wise, I'm looking to stay within 60-80 range and as for recommendations for cans closer to $100~ ballpark, I know there's always going to be something better for a little more $$$ but I'm really trying to stay UNDER $100. That being said, I've done a fair share of searching and there's been a lot of suggestions that I saw named off: Shure SRH440, Senn HD448, Sony MDR-V6, Koss PRODJ 100, Alessandro MS1, Grado SR60i, and etc... As you can see there's open and closed headphones in that list and I have no real preference since I'll mostly be using these at home. I just need help pinpointing something... 

TL;DR Looking for $60-80 over-the-ear, open or closed cans for music, gaming, TV/Movies. 

Thanks 

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #11,111 of 29,490

Quote:
Looks good on the paper, but i got couple questions tho.
Can i replace the earpads to sennheiser/beyerdynamic ear cushions?(i dont like leather earpads) which ones will fit?
If cable got broken, can i replace the cable easily?

I don't really know about the ear cushions, but you could ask around the ultrasone appreciation threads, or somewhere like that. Also, If you want replaceable cables, I think it's actually the Pro models that have the removable cables. However, if you take moderately good care of your investment, you shouldn't really need to fix them in the first place... 
rolleyes.gif

Also, you can get cables from ultrasone directly: http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/cables-and-transport.html

Quote:

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. I mostly listen to classical. However, I game with the same pair of headphones (playing Battlefield), so hard hitting bass is also appreciated. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 700's as well. If it were headphones alone, I could afford it; however looking at the other threads, combining it with $250 amplifiers and DAC's would put it out of range.

I've been following the whole E17 thread relatively close; it also looks like the E9 is a good suggestion.

For your uses I think the 598s will suit you nicely, but you might want to ask around in a dedicated thread for more details. 

Quote:
-$100-$150
-Over-the-ear

For closed, headphones like the M50s would probably suit your genres pretty well, but also look into similar models like the Ultrasone HFI580/780 models. Also, where are you going to be using them? If you're just using them at home, you might want to consider the open Grado models, which I have heard are very good for metal.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #11,112 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all. New to the forums but somewhat of a lurker. I'm by no means an audiophile and that makes looking for my first pair of full-size headphones all the more confusing/intimidating. My only "Hi-Fi" piece of equipment would be a pair of triplefi 10's that I got a while back from Amazon gold box deal that I use daily with a Clip+ for biking to campus (soon to be college graduate). I'm looking for a pair of full-sized, over the ear headphones to be used mainly on my PC for listening to music, gaming, watching stuff. I mainly listen to K-pop, techno/trance and the usual American mainstream stuff. Price-wise, I'm looking to stay within 60-80 range and as for recommendations for cans closer to $100~ ballpark, I know there's always going to be something better for a little more $$$ but I'm really trying to stay UNDER $100. That being said, I've done a fair share of searching and there's been a lot of suggestions that I saw named off: Shure SRH440, Senn HD448, Sony MDR-V6, Koss PRODJ 100, Alessandro MS1, Grado SR60i, and etc... As you can see there's open and closed headphones in that list and I have no real preference since I'll mostly be using these at home. I just need help pinpointing something... 

TL;DR Looking for $60-80 over-the-ear, open or closed cans for music, gaming, TV/Movies. 

Thanks 

Your list looks pretty good so far, but I would add the Creative Aurvana Live to that list. Also, the Grados/Alessandros might not be the best for your genres, as they're more geared towards rock, and can be quite polarizing if you're not into those genres as much. Also, for your bass-heavy techno, a closed can might provide more of the visceral bass that you're looking for.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #11,113 of 29,490

Originally Posted by mosshorn

To me, sounds like the FA-003 or the Brainwavz HM5 :)

The FA-003's look pretty sweet. Thanks for the reply!
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n

For closed, headphones like the M50s would probably suit your genres pretty well, but also look into similar models like the Ultrasone HFI580/780 models. Also, where are you going to be using them? If you're just using them at home, you might want to consider the open Grado models, which I have heard are very good for metal.

I will be using them pretty much exclusively at home. I'd like the ability to take them out, but I'll just keep using my cheapo earbuds for that I guess. I thought that Grado's were on ear, am I mistaken? Thank you!

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #11,114 of 29,490
Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to address amping but if it helps, i don't plan to and I would probably only ever get a small Fiio e6 to use on the go if anything. So, having ruled out the open-cans from initial list. I'm looking at either the SRH440, Senn H448, Koss PRODJ 100 (all $80ish at the moment) and maybe Creative Aurvana Live if price drops. Build/comfort wise, can someone chime in on which of these might be best? I wear glasses so comfort will also be a factor if I want to use the cans for 2+ hours... I've seen posts that mention HD448 are a bit flimsy whereas the SRH440/PRODJ 100 have better build quality.

Quote:
Your list looks pretty good so far, but I would add the Creative Aurvana Live to that list. Also, the Grados/Alessandros might not be the best for your genres, as they're more geared towards rock, and can be quite polarizing if you're not into those genres as much. Also, for your bass-heavy techno, a closed can might provide more of the visceral bass that you're looking for.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #11,115 of 29,490
Hello. I am back to looking for a new pair of headphones since my 4 year old bose (was a n00b then) recently died. I am looking for a more mobile pair of around ear or on ear headphones for my ipod/phone. Since most of the time i will be using them on the bus or at school i would prefer something closed or open/semi open with good sound isolation and little sound leakage. I generally listen to electronic music and would prefer a decent amount of bass, however i do not need it to be overpowering, just not lacking. Comfort is also a must. My budget is $200 for headphones and if needed, an amp/LOD. The ones i have been looking at so far are the ATH-M50(s), SR225i, SRH840, DT990PRO (On sale for $178) and the ATH-PRO700MK2 (open for any other suggestions). For the most part the reviews on all of them have been good, but seem to go in circles when it comes to which one is better than the other/the better buy. I currently have a pair of AD700's for my PC and love them, and with that im leaning towards one of the audio technicas. But i will be willing to spend the extra money and go for the SR225i or DT990PRO with an amp if the sound quality is really that much better for the money.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back