++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #11,071 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys can you help me?

i need over-ear headphones that sounds good for metal, rock, dubstep, and a few bassy songs.

my budget is only 150-200 dollars. my choices are Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, AudioTechnica, Grado, and V-Moda.

i hope that somebody will help.
thanks in advance.

(i'm only a teenager by the way)

For OVER-ear, I'd look into the M50s, as a previous commenter suggested, but also maybe the Denon D1100s and perhaps the Ultrasone HFI 580/780 models. Also, will you be using these out and about or only at home? If you're out and about, you probably don't want open cans, which rules out the Grados (which also lack a bit of bass body), and the Senns in your price range. The only over-ear V-Modas are the Crossfades, which aren't the best value for your money, and the Shures might not suit your tastes, as they're more neutral.

Quote:
Hey,

I'm looking for a very cheap headphone (<€50). I have looked at the Koss Pro DJ100, Samson SR850, and Superlux 668B but it they aren't available anymore in my country.... I saw something like a Shure 240, Sony MBX500. Is that good? I will listen to pop or dubstep and I like a heavy bass. 

Thanks in advance!

For heavy bass at that price range, the XB500 will be your best bet, yeah. Also, where do you live?

Quote:
What do you think? Denon D1100 or Audio Technica M50? Both are about the same price. Which one do you reccomend? I'll be using them with my iPhone and a MacBook.

What genres will you be listening to? The D1100s are more bass-heavy, and so a bit more suited to bass-heavy genres (i.e. electronic, etc). Also, the M50s fold up nicely, and are a bit more portable.

Quote:
Hello all, 

I did a quick search for an introductions thread because I'm new to this site (been lurking for a while w/o joining; now I'm ready to jump into the discussions a bit more), and I think this is about as close as I can find to a thread for n00bs to say, "Hey, I'm new! Whassup?!" 

Anyways, hello. 

My current gear incluse Apple In-Ear buds (crap), JVC Marshmallow in-ear (also crap, but actually better than Apple's effort), the requisite Koss Porta-Pro, and--because I actually wanted a good set of cans--a new set of V-MODA LP2, which I just returned because I want to wait for V-MODA to release the M-100. Thanks Head-Fiers for inspiring me to spend money already! As you can tell, I'm just getting started. Oh, and I bought a JDS Labs cMoyBB v 2.03.

I'm a sax player. I like jazz. I'm an ex-professional dancer (modern, jazz, hip-hop). I also love classical, rock, and hip-hop.

And so on.

Are you asking for a recommendation, or just saying hi? In either case, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet! 
tongue.gif
 If you're looking for a recommendation, some usage data would be nice. (i.e. portable or not)

Quote:
Hey guys, hoping for some assistance here.

I listen to mostly rap/hip-hop, but also rock and alternative music. I'd be using these headphones for music, movies/TV, and some gaming. It has to be portable, but I'm fine with buying a small amp to pair with my iPhone4.

I saw the Dennon D2000 (open box) for $199 and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm for $166. Do they need to be amp'd? Do they fit my criteria? Are either good values?

I also saw the Denon AH-NC732 for $159. Any thoughts on that?

I don't need one specific headphone/IEM recommendation if none of the above fit my criteria, because I'm looking for good values on the headphones. If no good value comes up for one of the more expensive headphones, I'd go with a cheaper one like the M50's or an IEM. My budget is set at $~200, but again value is important.

Thanks!

Neither of the first two are particularly portable, as they're a bulky and don't fold up. Unless you really need the noise cancelling feature (i.e. heavy traveler), I'd pass on the Denon NC cans, as that feature detracts from sound quality and adds to price. I'd look into the Sennheiser HD-25s, Vmoda M80s, M50s, etc for full-sized cans, and maybe the JVC FXT90s or GR07s for IEMs.

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all this headphone business, but I've been lurking for a few weeks (please don't hate me for using the wrong terminology).  I was hoping to get some good recs for headphones under $200.
Comfort is a top priority, although I'd hate to sacrifice too much SQ for that.  I have glasses and wouldn't like anything that puts too much pressure on my head (was going to get Senn HD280)
Music is mostly r&b/vocals, especially live performances and acapella, usually from my laptop/iphone/mp3.
No preference open/closed, although I heard open means better sound stage, which is better in terms of live performances?  Not sure if this is true.
Preferably somewhat portable, as I'll be traveling occasionally, though it's not a huge deal.
Looks are irrelevant, but I'm a tad rough with my equipment, so am hoping for great durability/build.
I was going to get the ATH AD-700, which I heard was extremely comfortable, but I have a medium-size head and heard about the size issue from the reviews.

Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I know you said no pref on open or closed, but it really makes a difference if you'll be using them portably. Open cans will leak a lot of sound both in and out, so they're very hard to use while out and about. For open cans, I'd maybe look into the Sennheiser HD558/598(If you can get them for a good price). For closed maybe try the M50s (they clamp a bit), D1100, or something like that.

Quote:
just some cheap nokia with 3.5 plug.

Just fyi, phones tend to have pretty bad sound quality, and they're staticky (you'll hear interference).

Quote:
Question for those with more experience.
I have HD595's that I purchased a couple of years ago and like. I recently purchased an E7 (with an E9 on the way) and immediately noticed a difference in the quality of sound coming from MacBook and iPhone. I also have two pairs of UE canal phones, the superfi 5 and the 600vi's.
My sense is that these two, the canal phones and the HD595's are at very different ends of the headphone experience. The sound is much "tighter" with the canal phones. I'm thinking that I'd like to try a pair of large phones that are closer to the canal phone presentation. Specifically, though the sound improved with the E7-HD595 combo, I feel the bass is a little lacking and sounds, notes on a piano for instance, run together a bit. I'd rather not get on-ear phones, but would listen to suggestions if that sounds like what I'm after sound wise.
Thanks in advance...
--
Andrew
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.608650,-81.913049

TBH, I don't think you're getting the full experience out of your 595s with just the E7. Wait for your E9 and see what you think then. For around ear, I guess look into closed headphones like the M50s, SRH840s, D1100/2000, Ultrasone HFI580/780, etc.

Quote:
but some say that m50's are not that good in metal. is that true? how about Shure SRH750? are they good too?

I don't listen to a lot of metal, but I don't see why they'd be particularly bad at it. They have a v-curve, which lends some treble energy and some bass emphasis. The 750DJ model is not over-ear, and I haven't heard too much about it, other than it being a bit uncomfortable.

Quote:
Hi, total audio/headphone noobie here. First post.  So I'm trying to buy my first pair of good headphones, and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 seems like it has really good reviews, and i like the price a lot, especially for the refurbished pair on soundprofessionals ($120).
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-FR
My main question is, because it has already been used, would it already be 'burned in'? and secondly, if you would help me out, would you recommend that pair to me? I'm just going to be plugging it into my ipod, no sound work on anything.  And also know that I probably wont be heading far down the path of audiophilia, I just want good headphones.  Thanks a tonnnnnn, Im so sick of these ****ty cheap skullcandy headphones.

In my experience, the M50 doesn't go through too much burn-in, so that shouldn't be an issue. My M50s sound fine out of my iPod, though perhaps a tiny bit thin. You'll experience a bit of that from every headphone in this price range, though, and the M50s will be a big upgrade over skullcandy, at least in clarity and build quality.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #11,072 of 29,490
Hi! I'm kinda debating between getting myself either the Sony MDR-V6 or Bose AE2 for at-home usage and the Sennheiser HD 202 II and Sony MDR-XB300 once I have enough dough saved up.

I test-drove the AE2's at the PX and liked what I heard and felt, and I've read some great reviews on the MDR-V6's. Also, I listened to a pair of what I think are HD 202's and liked them, and the MDR-XB300's got great reviews as well.

Which of the home usage headphones are better? MDR-V6 or AE2?
And which of the portable usage headphones are better? HD 202 or MDR-XB300?

Thanks! :)

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #11,073 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi! I'm kinda debating between getting myself either the Sony MDR-V6 or Bose AE2 for at-home usage and the Sennheiser HD 202 II and Sony MDR-XB300 once I have enough dough saved up.

I test-drove the AE2's at the PX and liked what I heard and felt, and I've read some great reviews on the MDR-V6's. Also, I listened to a pair of what I think are HD 202's and liked them, and the MDR-XB300's got great reviews as well.

Which of the home usage headphones are better? MDR-V6 or AE2?
And which of the portable usage headphones are better? HD 202 or MDR-XB300?

Thanks! :)

Don't get the AE2s. Bose are not known for making very good headphones (unless you need the ANC features), and tend to overcharge. In that regard, the V6 will be better. Between the HD202 and XB300, the XBs are going to have a very heavy bass emphasis that may or may not work depending on what kind of music you listen to. Before you make any purchases however, I suggest you maybe to a little more research to see what kind of headphone will suit you best. One good thing to know would be what kind of music you listen to, which will affect what kind of sound you;ll be looking for. One good place to start would be ljokerl's massive review thread, which gives you nice, concise reviews of a ton of different headphones, including the V6 and AE2, alongside 94 others, and actually ranks them by numeric scores. It's incredibly helpful, and can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #11,074 of 29,490

I got Dre Beat Pros for Christmas from my Mom and have until next week to return them to Best Buy for a full refund, and would love to but the $430 my Mom spent for better sounding headphones.

I have heard great things about Ultrasone 900's but i don't know if there is something better that have been released since then.

What I'm basically looking for in cans are great isolation and bass, and just overall beautiful sound. My genre of music is mostly R&B, Hiphop, soft rock, pop, reggae.

I also edit a lot of videos, in a office with 9+ other people making noise at peak times, so isolation is important for me. The beats did a good job of this, so I would like to keep that if I can.

I have about $500 to spend. I would love to own great sounding cans that are comfortable. 

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #11,075 of 29,490

Quote:
Don't get the AE2s. Bose are not known for making very good headphones (unless you need the ANC features), and tend to overcharge. In that regard, the V6 will be better. Between the HD202 and XB300, the XBs are going to have a very heavy bass emphasis that may or may not work depending on what kind of music you listen to. Before you make any purchases however, I suggest you maybe to a little more research to see what kind of headphone will suit you best. One good thing to know would be what kind of music you listen to, which will affect what kind of sound you;ll be looking for. One good place to start would be ljokerl's massive review thread, which gives you nice, concise reviews of a ton of different headphones, including the V6 and AE2, alongside 94 others, and actually ranks them by numeric scores. It's incredibly helpful, and can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Cool. Might just go ahead and go with the V6 for home usage and the HD 202 for portable usage. Currently using a pair of V150's, which are good for the price, but want to upgrade eventually.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #11,076 of 29,490

Quote:
I got Dre Beat Pros for Christmas from my Mom and have until next week to return them to Best Buy for a full refund, and would love to but the $430 my Mom spent for better sounding headphones.
I have heard great things about Ultrasone 900's but i don't know if there is something better that have been released since then.
What I'm basically looking for in cans are great isolation and bass, and just overall beautiful sound. My genre of music is mostly R&B, Hiphop, soft rock, pop, reggae.
I also edit a lot of videos, in a office with 9+ other people making noise at peak times, so isolation is important for me. The beats did a good job of this, so I would like to keep that if I can.
I have about $500 to spend. I would love to own great sounding cans that are comfortable. 
Thanks in advance :)

You should be able to find something just as good as the Beats for 2/3 the price you paid for the Beats.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm (or 80-Ohm) for $170.

What are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Should be able to get a good headphone amplifier for $200.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #11,077 of 29,490

Quote:
You should be able to find something just as good as the Beats for 2/3 the price you paid for the Beats.

Heck, for $500, he could get the Pro900s and a ~$200 amp or DAC/amp.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #11,078 of 29,490
I looking into the recommended e7+e9 setup. I'm not looking to match the beat pros sound at all. I want the best sound I can get with my budget. I am not impressed at all with the beats sound so I definitely don't want to match it :)

Quote:

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #11,079 of 29,490
50an6xy06r6n, thanks for your recs!  I was very partial to the M50 for some time, but heard about the clamping issue and wimped out.  Like I said, comfort's a top priority...although in the end, I may just have to suck it up and get these, with the reviews I've been reading.
Your point about closed/open cans and portability makes sense.  I guess I'd prefer closed, since I'll be going out with these, but I really hope it won't affect sound stage a great deal.

Any additional advice/recs would be great appreciated (again)!

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #11,080 of 29,490

Quote:
I looking into the recommended e7+e9 setup. I'm not looking to match the beat pros sound at all. I want the best sound I can get with my budget. I am not impressed at all with the beats sound so I definitely don't want to match it :)

To my knowledge, there isn't anything else in the $300 range that does strong bass and overall sound quality as well as the PRO900s.  Those plus the E7 and E9 will come in at a little under $500 on Amazon.

Edit: Just remembered that the E17 is going to be released soon.  It replaces the E7, and is a significant improvement over it.  It's a bit more expensive ($135 pre-order, $140 retail), but I think you could skip the E9.  Mp4nation has it on pre-order, with an estimated shipping date of mid-February.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #11,081 of 29,490

Quote:
Cool. Might just go ahead and go with the V6 for home usage and the HD 202 for portable usage. Currently using a pair of V150's, which are good for the price, but want to upgrade eventually.

What's your budget? Also, it might be easier if you pool the money you would spend on those two pairs and buy a single, better pair you can use both at home and on the go. Also, just FYI, the V150s are not very good at all IMO.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #11,082 of 29,490

Quote:

The V6 is a very decent portable, as it has pretty good isolation, very good durability, folds up, and is easily driven from a portable source.  I don't know why you'd by the 202's in addition.  The only place they aren't great is on an airplane, where you really need active noise cancelling, or IEM's.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #11,083 of 29,490
Oh wow that e17 sounds great. How is the isolation on the pro 900's in comparison to beats pro?

Quote:

To my knowledge, there isn't anything else in the $300 range that does strong bass and overall sound quality as well as the PRO900s.  Those plus the E7 and E9 will come in at a little under $500 on Amazon.

Edit: Just remembered that the E17 is going to be released soon.  It replaces the E7, and is a significant improvement over it.  It's a bit more expensive ($135 pre-order, $140 retail), but I think you could skip the E9.  Mp4nation has it on pre-order, with an estimated shipping date of mid-February.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #11,084 of 29,490

Quote:

I've never touched the Beats, I'm scared it might drain my lifeforce (along with my wallet).
I would assume the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, with a good headphone amplifier would sound better then the beats.

Also check out the Audio Technica ATH-A900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back