++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #11,056 of 29,490
Hello all, 

I did a quick search for an introductions thread because I'm new to this site (been lurking for a while w/o joining; now I'm ready to jump into the discussions a bit more), and I think this is about as close as I can find to a thread for n00bs to say, "Hey, I'm new! Whassup?!" 

Anyways, hello. 

My current gear incluse Apple In-Ear buds (crap), JVC Marshmallow in-ear (also crap, but actually better than Apple's effort), the requisite Koss Porta-Pro, and--because I actually wanted a good set of cans--a new set of V-MODA LP2, which I just returned because I want to wait for V-MODA to release the M-100. Thanks Head-Fiers for inspiring me to spend money already! As you can tell, I'm just getting started. Oh, and I bought a JDS Labs cMoyBB v 2.03.

I'm a sax player. I like jazz. I'm an ex-professional dancer (modern, jazz, hip-hop). I also love classical, rock, and hip-hop.

And so on.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #11,057 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, hoping for some assistance here.
I listen to mostly rap/hip-hop, but also rock and alternative music. I'd be using these headphones for music, movies/TV, and some gaming. It has to be portable, but I'm fine with buying a small amp to pair with my iPhone4.
I saw the Dennon D2000 (open box) for $199 and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm for $166. Do they need to be amp'd? Do they fit my criteria? Are either good values?
I also saw the Denon AH-NC732 for $159. Any thoughts on that?
I don't need one specific headphone/IEM recommendation if none of the above fit my criteria, because I'm looking for good values on the headphones. If no good value comes up for one of the more expensive headphones, I'd go with a cheaper one like the M50's or an IEM. My budget is set at $~200, but again value is important.

The Beyerdynamic DT990 do need to be used with a headphone amplifier.
They are full sized cans, so not the most portable.
They are open headphones, so not the best for used out in pubic.

Check out the KRK KNS 8400.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #11,058 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys can you help me?
i need over-ear headphones that sounds good for metal, rock, dubstep, and a few bassy songs.
my budget is only 150-200 dollars. my choices are Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Audio Technica, Grado, and V-Moda.
i hope that somebody will help.

What source(s) are you going to be plugging these headphones into?

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #11,059 of 29,490
For your budget, I'd recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780. You can find these at $149 or lower. I personally don't know where do people get them for lower, like $120, but you could ask around. :)
If you do get them at a really low price, you could buy a FiiO E7 (amp + DAC, home and mobile use) or E11 (amp only, for portable use), and a FiiO L9 Line-Out Dock for your iPhone 4S.  All in all you could get them for a little over $200.

If only you could stretch your budget to $450, the Ultrasone Pro 900 + FiiO E7 + FiiO L9 LOD is absolutely perfect for your needs, and it might be your last headphone for your tastes.

Quote:

Newbie wanting some advice here thanks :) Looking for a nice pair of headphones.

Music genres:  Mostly Dubstep and pretty much most electronic music like trance, house etc but i do enjoy the occasional hip hop/pop. So i would like them to have a great low end/bass but without sacrificing the mids and highs.
Portable: Needs to be fairly portable as i will not only be using them at home but also when i travel on Bus, plane etc.
Price range: $200 max
Closed/Open: closed
Headphone preference: id like something that looks decent but most importantly sounds great. I will only be using through my Iphone 4S and imac Computer. Also i would like good noise isolation for those loud traveling environments and as little sound leakage as possible.

thanks in advance
dubstepman

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #11,060 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around on the site for a while now, and wanted some advice.

My current setup is a pair of Shure SRH840s, an Fiio E7 and an E9. I listen to music mostly from my macbook air (using the USB out through the E9 with the E7 docked), and my iPhone while on the go. I typically listen to classical (mostly Brahmas both symphonies and string quartets) , traditional blues (Lightnen Hopkins, John Lee Hooker etc), and folk / songwriter (Ray Lamontongue, Jacksone Browne etc.).

I really enjoy the clarity of the 840s. However, the base is lacking for my tastes, so I typically use the bass boost on the E7 to round out the sound a bit.

I have a birthday coming around, so I was looking on what to pass on to the wife for an upgrade. So what I am considering is the Sennheiser 650s. the problem is that there I haven't found a good location locally to really be able to listen to a pair, so I am apprehensive on dumping money on something sound unheard. From my reading around, it seems the best bet is to sink as much money you can on the cans because it seems that is where the typical bottleneck is.

So my question is simple, is this a valid upgrade? Is there anything around this same price range ~500.00 price point that would pick up better sound for my typical listening choices?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #11,061 of 29,490

Should I buy the Sennheiser hd 518 headphones or Sony MDR-7506? Which do you think sound better? Or are there other similar headphones that you would like to suggest? I would be using them almost exclusively at home so portability is not an issue. Any help is appreciated!

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #11,062 of 29,490

Should I buy the Sennheiser hd 518 headphones or Sony MDR-7506? Which do you think sound better? Or are there other similar headphones that you would like to suggest? I would be using them almost exclusively at home so portability is not an issue. Any help is appreciated!

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #11,063 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys can you help me?

i need over-ear headphones that sounds good for metal, rock, dubstep, and a few bassy songs.

my budget is only 150-200 dollars. my choices are Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, AudioTechnica, Grado, and V-Moda.

i hope that somebody will help.
thanks in advance.

(i'm only a teenager by the way)

V-Moda M80s are probably your best bet, though the Senn HD25 or ATH M50 would probably work as well.

Quote:
Hey,

I'm looking for a very cheap headphone (<€50). I have looked at the Koss Pro DJ100, Samson SR850, and Superlux 668B but it they aren't available anymore in my country.... I saw something like a Shure 240, Sony MBX500. Is that good? I will listen to pop or dubstep and I like a heavy bass. 

Thanks in advance!

You like heavy bass?  Get the XB500s.

Quote:
Hey guys, hoping for some assistance here.

I listen to mostly rap/hip-hop, but also rock and alternative music. I'd be using these headphones for music, movies/TV, and some gaming. It has to be portable, but I'm fine with buying a small amp to pair with my iPhone4.

I saw the Dennon D2000 (open box) for $199 and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm for $166. Do they need to be amp'd? Do they fit my criteria? Are either good values?

I also saw the Denon AH-NC732 for $159. Any thoughts on that?

I don't need one specific headphone/IEM recommendation if none of the above fit my criteria, because I'm looking for good values on the headphones. If no good value comes up for one of the more expensive headphones, I'd go with a cheaper one like the M50's or an IEM. My budget is set at $~200, but again value is important.

Thanks!

The D2000 isn't very portable.  It has a really long cable, is large, and doesn't clamp very much (so it doesn't stay on your head very well and has little isolation).  The DT990 is also large and is open, so it's not really suited for portable use either.  I don't really know anything about the noise-cancelling Denons, but in general, active noise cancelling is a bad idea unless you really need it since it can distort the sound.

Quote:

What do want to use them for?  Gaming, music, both?  And what types of music?

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #11,064 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all this headphone business, but I've been lurking for a few weeks (please don't hate me for using the wrong terminology).  I was hoping to get some good recs for headphones under $200.
Comfort is a top priority, although I'd hate to sacrifice too much SQ for that.  I have glasses and wouldn't like anything that puts too much pressure on my head (was going to get Senn HD280)
Music is mostly r&b/vocals, especially live performances and acapella, usually from my laptop/iphone/mp3.
No preference open/closed, although I heard open means better sound stage, which is better in terms of live performances?  Not sure if this is true.
Preferably somewhat portable, as I'll be traveling occasionally, though it's not a huge deal.
Looks are irrelevant, but I'm a tad rough with my equipment, so am hoping for great durability/build.
I was going to get the ATH AD-700, which I heard was extremely comfortable, but I have a medium-size head and heard about the size issue from the reviews.

Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #11,065 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for something that will suit Trance/Techno/Dubstep/Electro for little under 150$. I found HD 518 for 90$ and HFI-580 for 120$. Which one between these two would be the most suited and is there any other models I skipped?

Thank you

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #11,066 of 29,490
You should also consider the Denon AH-D1100.  The Ultrasone would probably be better than the Senn otherwise.

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for something that will suit Trance/Techno/Dubstep/Electro for little under 150$. I found HD 518 for 90$ and HFI-580 for 120$. Which one between these two would be the most suited and is there any other models I skipped?

Thank you

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #11,068 of 29,490
Question for those with more experience.

I have HD595's that I purchased a couple of years ago and like. I recently purchased an E7 (with an E9 on the way) and immediately noticed a difference in the quality of sound coming from MacBook and iPhone. I also have two pairs of UE canal phones, the superfi 5 and the 600vi's.

My sense is that these two, the canal phones and the HD595's are at very different ends of the headphone experience. The sound is much "tighter" with the canal phones. I'm thinking that I'd like to try a pair of large phones that are closer to the canal phone presentation. Specifically, though the sound improved with the E7-HD595 combo, I feel the bass is a little lacking and sounds, notes on a piano for instance, run together a bit. I'd rather not get on-ear phones, but would listen to suggestions if that sounds like what I'm after sound wise.

Thanks in advance...

--
Andrew

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.608650,-81.913049

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #11,070 of 29,490
Hi, total audio/headphone noobie here. First post.  So I'm trying to buy my first pair of good headphones, and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 seems like it has really good reviews, and i like the price a lot, especially for the refurbished pair on soundprofessionals ($120).
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-FR
My main question is, because it has already been used, would it already be 'burned in'? and secondly, if you would help me out, would you recommend that pair to me? I'm just going to be plugging it into my ipod, no sound work on anything.  And also know that I probably wont be heading far down the path of audiophilia, I just want good headphones.  Thanks a tonnnnnn, Im so sick of these ****ty cheap skullcandy headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back