++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #11,011 of 29,490
i think the first time i posted this it got lost in the mix, lemme try again before starting my own thread!

FIRST POST!

...and you're gonna love it! I'm looking to upgrade to some "audiophile" quality headphones from my...wait for it...BOSE TRI-PORTS! I've been aware how much these things 'actually suck' for a long time, however, I have gotten so much AMAZING listening time with these over the past 4 years, they will forever hold a special place in my ear.  They enlightened me to quality sound, and I would not be here today if I didnt buy these 4 years ago before I studied abroad.  So for what they were and the role they played in my evolution, I cant say much bad about them...my wallet maybe.  I plan on giving them away to an unenlightened friend. Anyway...

- budget: ~$225, over the ear (circumaural?! see im catching on!)
- music: electronic (downtempo & ambient + tech/house & glitch)
- use: 80% iPhone/MacBook + 20% home stereo w/ vinyl setup
- qualities:  im new to these headphone terms, but I know I pay attention to the soundstage of my music.  I really notice when I feel "in" the music and it sounds 3D.  I think this also relates to "imaging" which I constantly do when Im listening to music.  So cans that emphasize these are ideal, which may lend to an open design..but i really want the closed so oh well.

rail on me for the bose comments, but im more interested in your rec's!

listen with your spirit!

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #11,012 of 29,490

Quote:
i think the first time i posted this it got lost in the mix, lemme try again before starting my own thread!

FIRST POST!

...and you're gonna love it! I'm looking to upgrade to some "audiophile" quality headphones from my...wait for it...BOSE TRI-PORTS! I've been aware how much these things 'actually suck' for a long time, however, I have gotten so much AMAZING listening time with these over the past 4 years, they will forever hold a special place in my ear.  They enlightened me to quality sound, and I would not be here today if I didnt buy these 4 years ago before I studied abroad.  So for what they were and the role they played in my evolution, I cant say much bad about them...my wallet maybe.  I plan on giving them away to an unenlightened friend. Anyway...

- budget: ~$225, over the ear (circumaural?! see im catching on!)
- music: electronic (downtempo & ambient + tech/house & glitch)
- use: 80% iPhone/MacBook + 20% home stereo w/ vinyl setup
- qualities:  im new to these headphone terms, but I know I pay attention to the soundstage of my music.  I really notice when I feel "in" the music and it sounds 3D.  I think this also relates to "imaging" which I constantly do when Im listening to music.  So cans that emphasize these are ideal, which may lend to an open design..but i really want the closed so oh well.

rail on me for the bose comments, but im more interested in your rec's!

listen with your spirit!

I guess you missed this? Anyway, those 2 are good options for your genres, as mentioned before.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #11,013 of 29,490

Hey guys! I started a new thread and thought I might as well post here too, well here goes it. I have just recently entered the head-fi world, and have just acquired some brand spankin' new (already astroid-modded) Senn HD228's.

I really like these cans so far, but some things I don't really like is that on some tracks I notice the bass and mid-range lacking compared to the highs, and the fact that they aren't circumaural. I am now infected with what I believe is known as "upgrade-itis," and am already looking for a new toy. I thought that this would be a good time to get some new cans because I can ask for them for my birthday that is coming up. I have researched for countless hours, and out of the thousands of headphones out there I have come up four that I think are beneficial to my needs.

INFO

Genres I listen to are mostly rock,(Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Bon Jovi, etc) and classical(Beethoven, Mozart John Sebastian Bach), some folk(Beirut?), and whatever else suits my mood.

I would like to not have to use an amp, but I've seen E6's for sale at around 25$, so It's not that big of a problem. The sources I use are my Ipod touvh 4g and my toshiba laptop.

Price range is about 80-130$, but keep in mind that I'm from Canada and everything here is more expensive, unless you can find an ebay seller who ships here. 

Headphones I have in mind: Sony MDR-V6, Shure SRH840, ATH M-50 and Ultrasone 580. I know absoloutly nothing about the Ultrasone, but I have read a[size=small]n adequate amount on the other ones.[/size]

Any [size=small]Suggestions?[/size]

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #11,014 of 29,490

Quote:
On a budget, the Fiio E7/E9 combo is the perennial favorite, and you can get both for <$200, and the E9 alone for about $100 if you don't need the E7's DAC.

The E9 is already on my list of considerations. I was worried it didn't have sufficient horsepower to push the Q701s the way they need to be pushed (based on threads here, it looks like they're kind of hard to drive).

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #11,015 of 29,490
I'm not necessarily looking for a new headphone, but I'm curious:

Are there any bass-oriented headphones that do not have a V or U-shaped response? It seems like virtually every basshead can in existence also seems to have a recessed midrange. Is there a reason for this?

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #11,016 of 29,490
About to purchase the Brainwavz HM5 + Fiio E11 off of mp4nation. Just wanted to ask if there was a different closed can + portable amp combo for <$200 that would be a better buy.

Genres include rock and lighter metal. Lightest being folky stuff like Fleet Foxes and Mumford&Sons, heaviest being A7X and Bullet for my Valentine.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #11,017 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm not necessarily looking for a new headphone, but I'm curious:
Are there any bass-oriented headphones that do not have a V or U-shaped response? It seems like virtually every basshead can in existence also seems to have a recessed midrange. Is there a reason for this?

Generally, high levels of bass tend to bloat, or bleed bass up into the midrange.  Combine with that the desire to have a nice sizzle at the top end, and it becomes necessary to push down the midrange slightly to get the desired impression of boom-tizz.  There are a few exceptions, but as soon as the midrange is brought up, they are no longer bass heavy.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #11,018 of 29,490
Hey fellas.

I'm thinking about jumping into the open-back headphone pool.   Never tried one before.   I'd like to make an earnest effort here and shoot for something in the $300 range.  I have no Idea where to start though...    

Any guidance?

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #11,019 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey fellas.

I'm thinking about jumping into the open-back headphone pool.   Never tried one before.   I'd like to make an earnest effort here and shoot for something in the $300 range.  I have no Idea where to start though...    

Any guidance?

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 600 ohm
Sennheiser HD600

Those are a couple to start your search with. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #11,020 of 29,490
anyone ever even heard of those older on ear ones??   Or feel urge to steer me away from the DT 770 to a different can? 

Quote:
looking for a bit of advice.

I have some OLD JVC on ear headphones which I bought about 20 years ago (JVC - HA-D550.) They have lasted me all this time.  Really enjoy them, I don't know how good/bad their sound quality/stage is - nor do I remember why I bought these in particular back when I was in High school, but I do remember dropping nearly $100 for them back in the day.  Anyone know anything about these headphones compared to some of the ones that are out and around now?

Here I am now looking to get a new set of headphones.  Looking to spend around $125 or so. maybe a bit more.

After looking through the forums here (after reading about stuff over on overclock.net which brought me to head-fi)
I've determined that the DT770 is the headphones that are for me.  Originally I was looking to get the A700 - I really enjoy a good THUMP in my base and it sounded as if even though the A700 has more base then the AD700 - it would still a bit on the thin side.  Hence my leaning to the DT770.

Only issue is that DT770 new (on say amazon when it comes up) is a bit outside of my price range, and I totally have cold feat when it comes to buying headphones used...  Given the fact that I'm using the same headphones for the past 20 years, I guess that would lead me to believe that - yes buying headphones second hand is not really risky at all.

So - any advice on how to pick a good set of used headphones?  and/or a completely different model that would provide me with a strong bass as well as the sound stage across the spectrum which the DT 770 does?   Musical tastes are all over the board - in order of percentage, jam bands, acoustic performances, electronica/techno, rock, classical/orchestral  - essentially everything except for country/rap (and even a little bit of these);

I also plan on using these for Gaming on my PC as well.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #11,021 of 29,490
Okay here it goes:

I am looking for a (somewhat high end) Closed headphone for around €500-€600 but I can stretch it to €700 tops. (€550 - €600) The reason I want a closed headphone is because I am going to use it for trips on the plane, car etc. (Not while driving ofcourse lol) And that Closed headphones are easier to move then open headphones. I will use this headphone with a portable amp and a desktop amp. 

What I am looking for in a can is
  1. Comfort
  2. Soundtage (I know I want a closed headphone, I just would like it to have a bigger soundstage then usual on closed pairs)
  3. Deep, rich, tight, extended bass
  4. No piercing treble/sibilance

My music library contains mostly Electronic, Rock and a little bit of Jazz. 

I closely looking at the Denon D7000 and the Audio Technica W1000X. The thing is that the price of the D7000 is all around the place and the best I can get them for is around around $800 which is too much for me at the moment. The Audio Technica W1000X is alot more reasonably priced at $570 - $600. 

I hope other people can give me some other recommendations. Thank you! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #11,022 of 29,490
Quick question, not buying anything; I always cycle real fast standing up like an idiot. Today, my cable got stuck under my saddle so it got a tug. There's no damage whatsoever, especially not at the ends, where I'd assume them to break first. Also, they still seem to sound the same. Of course, paranoid as I am, I want to make sure nothing happened; so.. If the cable were to break inside, obviously the headphones would be broken, but is that a 0 - 1 type of thing, or can it get ruined gradually?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #11,023 of 29,490
What's up guys, new here (though have lurked from time to time) and have come to ask for advice. I have a pair of Klipsch S4s that recently broke and and I'm looking for something new as a replacement/upgrade, something a little more high end. The S4s were my everyday earphones and did a decent job considering their price, but I'm looking to take a solid step up in overall quality and want to make the switch to full size headphones. I mostly listen to rock, hip hop, electronic/house and some jazz for genres. They will primarily be used for commuting/walking around (iPhone as source) and with my laptop, my budget is roughly $200.

Main Considerations
  1. Sound Quality
  2. Build Quality/Durability
  3. Comfort
  4. Noise Isolation

Contenders
  1. Sennheiser HD25-1 II
  2. Shure SRH840
  3. Audio Technica ATH-M50

Obviously I am open to any and all suggestions on other suitable choices, those 3 are just options I found and researched that seemed to fit the bill. A portable amp is not in my immediate budget, but is under consideration for the future. Any opinions, advice, comparisons, etc. are welcome, thank you in advance.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #11,024 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay here it goes:

I am looking for a (somewhat high end) Closed headphone for around €500-€600 but I can stretch it to €700 tops. (€550 - €600) The reason I want a closed headphone is because I am going to use it for trips on the plane, car etc. (Not while driving ofcourse lol) And that Closed headphones are easier to move then open headphones. I will use this headphone with a portable amp and a desktop amp. 

What I am looking for in a can is
  1. Comfort
  2. Soundtage (I know I want a closed headphone, I just would like it to have a bigger soundstage then usual on closed pairs)
  3. Deep, rich, tight, extended bass
  4. No piercing treble/sibilance

My music library contains mostly Electronic, Rock and a little bit of Jazz. 

I closely looking at the Denon D7000 and the Audio Technica W1000X. The thing is that the price of the D7000 is all around the place and the best I can get them for is around around $800 which is too much for me at the moment. The Audio Technica W1000X is alot more reasonably priced at $570 - $600. 

I hope other people can give me some other recommendations. Thank you! 
biggrin.gif

I would not suggest the Denon's for portable use, as they are quite bulky, and while build quality is fine, they are not designed with travel in mind.  They have a very long cord with a fixed 1/4" plug.  They do not fold up in any way.  They are also not suitable for use on a plane or a loud environment, because even though they are 'closed' they offer almost no isolation.

Quote:
What's up guys, new here (though have lurked from time to time) and have come to ask for advice. I have a pair of Klipsch S4s that recently broke and and I'm looking for something new as a replacement/upgrade, something a little more high end. The S4s were my everyday earphones and did a decent job considering their price, but I'm looking to take a solid step up in overall quality and want to make the switch to full size headphones. I mostly listen to rock, hip hop, electronic/house and some jazz for genres. They will primarily be used for commuting/walking around (iPhone as source) and with my laptop, my budget is roughly $200.

Main Considerations
  1. Sound Quality
  2. Build Quality/Durability
  3. Comfort
  4. Noise Isolation

Contenders
  1. Sennheiser HD25-1 II
  2. Shure SRH840
  3. Audio Technica ATH-M50

Obviously I am open to any and all suggestions on other suitable choices, those 3 are just options I found and researched that seemed to fit the bill. A portable amp is not in my immediate budget, but is under consideration for the future. Any opinions, advice, comparisons, etc. are welcome, thank you in advance.

The Sony 7506/V6 should certainly be on that list.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #11,025 of 29,490
hi guys, 

looking for a full size headphones with a flat response and high levels of detail. currently i have ultrasone 780s but the V shaped sound is bugging me. i also have hifimann RE0s which i really like, but the bass is just a bit lacking.

ive been considering the DT880 600ohm, would my iBasso D10 be able to run these? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back