++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #10,981 of 29,490

Quote:
Still unsure of what direction I should go.  I currently have HD 555's, but I'm using onboard sound.  Should I be investing in a high end sound card to get the most out of these headphones, or a mid level card?

I'd like to spend at the most $150-200.

But I don't want to buy something high end and not get use out of them because my headphones are not good enough.

If you can spend up to $200, I say spring for a new set of headphones, like the HD598s. Check the deals thread for sub-$200 prices on those.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #10,982 of 29,490

Quote:

Look at the Denon D2000/5000/7000 - whatever your price range is.  Much lighter and more comfortable than the 840's, and a totally different listening experience.  They don't sound at all like monitoring phones.

Thank you for that recommendation.  The D1100's are a little closer to what I wanted to pay (I could swing the 2000's, but I might rather avoid it), would you have any opinion of those?

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #10,983 of 29,490

Quote:
If you can spend up to $200, I say spring for a new set of headphones, like the HD598s. Check the deals thread for sub-$200 prices on those.

What deals thread, I cant seem to find it.

I've looked at retailers here in Canada and these sell for $300 or more.  What kind of improvement would these be over the 555's, is it significant like 50% better, or would you say less than that?

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #10,984 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you for that recommendation.  The D1100's are a little closer to what I wanted to pay (I could swing the 2000's, but I might rather avoid it), would you have any opinion of those?

I have not heard them, so I can't comment.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding the D2000's for a price you can afford if you can wait for a used set.  There are generally a couple pairs available here every week or two.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #10,985 of 29,490

Quote:
I have not heard them, so I can't comment.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding the D2000's for a price you can afford if you can wait for a used set.  There are generally a couple pairs available here every week or two.

Cool.  And for the sake of keeping my options open, if you think what I want might be fulfilled by supra-aural cans, which ones might you suggest looking into in that category?

Thank you for the help by the way :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #10,986 of 29,490
Quote:
Sony MDR-V6/7506 is hugely popular given your requirements, and for good reason.  No replaceable cable, but the stock one is extremely durable.

I've heard about them, but they are expensive in my country (cheapest I could find was $160).

I think I'll settle for the KOSS Hd DJ100 for now as they seem like the optimal choice. Thanks for all of your input! 

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #10,987 of 29,490
Been looking at a tonne of headphone reviews in a <$150 range, so far I've come up with the infinitely popular ATH-M50's, which are starting to seem like pure basshead headphones.The other I see is the AKG K240's, with a semi-open back and more focus on the mid's and treble with a larger soundstage. I really appreciate well defined mid's as vocals are truly important to me, so I doubt the M50's, with what seems to be a heavy V-shape, to be ideal for any rock music. I listen to alot of indie pop/rock, but also mix electronic and house and enjoy listening to a variety of  other genres, but those are the emphasis in my library. I figure buying a FiiO E7 amp as recommended by another member and purchasing the AKG K240 for my rock/pop library, and later on down the road also purchasing the ATH-M50 for my bass and electronic library. Does this seem like a good setup?

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #10,988 of 29,490

Quote:
Cool.  And for the sake of keeping my options open, if you think what I want might be fulfilled by supra-aural cans, which ones might you suggest looking into in that category?

Thank you for the help by the way :)

Sorry, I don't like to suggest things I haven't heard, so the Denon's are it, based on your requirements and my experience.

It does look like it's possible to pick them up new for near $200 though... http://www.head-fi.org/t/588263/denon-ah-d2000-worth-the-risk-help/105

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #10,989 of 29,490
Hey Guys, I am looking for a portable headphone for commuting that goes with my iphone of the price up to $300, any suggestions? 

I listen to all kinds of music, except hip hop and rap :D ( guess I don't require too much bass? ) 

I have looked at ATH M50, B&W P5 and HD 25. I am not too fond of the looks of the HD25 and the long wire of M50 bugs me a little so it leaves me p5, i am hoping you guys can give me some suggestions on any other headphones I should look at.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #10,990 of 29,490
I'm nearly set with my headphone lineup (yeah, right!) with the Q701s sitting on my wish list waiting for the funding to pull the trigger. What I need first is a desktop amp suitable for driving the Q701 without breaking the bank. I already have SR60i's, M50's and V-80's.

Primary source would be my desktop PC. For the moment I'm using the X-Fi Go as the DAC, although running digital out to a spare A/V receiver is also an option (I have a 10 year old RCA A/V receiver I just removed from TV duty after finally convincing my mom to accept the HDTV I bought her).

Tubes or no tubes makes no difference. If I can get away with spending under $150, that's the goal. $200 if I absolutely have to.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #10,991 of 29,490
I've been thinking about upgrading my audio rig.  I'm currently using either my uDAC-2 + AD700 or Xonar DX + AV40.  I've been looking at the DT990 250 Ohm and the Denon D2K.  I would also like to upgrade my DAC/AMP department as well.  I've been curious about the E9 + E10 combo for the 990?  I listen to a lot of progressive metal (if this will help http://www.last.fm/user/Squa7ch), mostly Dream Theater, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, etc.  I'd say the majority of my music library is some form of metal (tbh I think the last 20 or so CDs I've bought are all metal lol), don't need crazy bass, though but I would like for it to be there in the mix, hear/feel it or whatever you want to call (tight, punchy?) but not boomy/bloomy as I've heard it sometimes described on here before.  Sorry for the rambling.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #10,992 of 29,490
Just a question with the Denon d2000's. It looks like they meet the audio requirements I am looking for, but how comfortable are they? It doesn't look like they have any proper padding for the headband so I'm just wondering. Also how do they compare to the Seenheiser HD 598's? They are about $70 cheaper on amazon and they have proper headband padding. I am looking for headphones with create quality for acoustic instruments for music creation.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #10,993 of 29,490
Any of the good HPs you could suggest? Maybe along the price range of SR-325i (one of my option too).

My preferences are:

1. That aggressive mids (female vocals occasionally).

2. Forward sounding

3. I appreciate a bit improvement from SR-80is bass department.

4. Accuracy

5. Genre: Rock, Classical, Dubstep/Electronica

I have no regrets having the SR-80is. I just wanted something new to my ears.

For high impedance suggestions, I only have a FiiO E11 atm.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #10,994 of 29,490

Quote:
Just a question with the Denon d2000's. It looks like they meet the audio requirements I am looking for, but how comfortable are they? It doesn't look like they have any proper padding for the headband so I'm just wondering. Also how do they compare to the Seenheiser HD 598's? They are about $70 cheaper on amazon and they have proper headband padding. I am looking for headphones with create quality for acoustic instruments for music creation.

I find the Denon's extremely comfortable, and I'm able to wear them at the office all day every day at work with no issues.  They are completely circumaural and very lightweight, so there is virtually no clamping pressure nor much weight on the top of the head.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #10,995 of 29,490
Anyone got suggestions?

Quote:
Hey Guys, I am looking for a portable headphone for commuting that goes with my iphone of the price up to $300, any suggestions? 

I listen to all kinds of music, except hip hop and rap :D ( guess I don't require too much bass? ) 

I have looked at ATH M50, B&W P5 and HD 25. I am not too fond of the looks of the HD25 and the long wire of M50 bugs me a little so it leaves me p5, i am hoping you guys can give me some suggestions on any other headphones I should look at.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back